Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

There's a reason that video engineers joke that NTSC stands for "Never The Same Color"

And PAL is Perfect At Last :can:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Gonna say it again because we've already come full circle on this topic.

240p Test Suite - SMPTE test bars

Blue gel filter

Match main color bars (the long and short ones that take up the upper 2/3rds of the screen) while looking through the filter and adjust brightness with the pluge bars (in the lower right) as per necessary by matching up the left and center bars together while the 3rd being slightly more intense

Calibrate per display and don't copy over settings from one display to another even if they are the same.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hmm yes perfection :discourse:

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Blue gel filter

Professional video monitors have a blue-only mode for this exact thing, but if your TV doesn't have it, use a sheet of Rosco #80 or Lee Filters #47B

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

Professional video monitors have a blue-only mode for this exact thing, but if your TV doesn't have it, use a sheet of Rosco #80 or Lee Filters #47B

They do, but I was speaking in general as not everyone has a PVM.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Monitor Burn posted:

Yeah, don't try to match picture settings between CRT and LCD screens (or even screenshots really), they will never look the same and aren't designed to. If you ran the 240p suite then it should be fine.

That looks really good on the right. Yeah I am done trying to match the color. And that last picture I posted earlier of Sonic 2 looks about perfect in my eye so I am not going to readjust anymore at this point.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

8-bit Miniboss posted:

They do, but I was speaking in general as not everyone has a PVM.

Fair point, also you can use Kodak Wratten #47 or Full CTB gels in addition to the Lee and Rosco ones I mentioned earlier.

If you're calibrating to the standard SMPTE bars, one thing to watch out for if you're playing Japanese imports is that the Japanese video standard defines black as 0 IRE as opposed to 7.5 IRE in North America. As a result, you may end up losing some shadow detail in a Japanese game when played on a monitor calibrated to the North American standard.

Likewise, if you have a monitor calibrated to the Japanese standard, North American games could potentially look washed out.

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Rirse posted:

That looks really good on the right. Yeah I am done trying to match the color. And that last picture I posted earlier of Sonic 2 looks about perfect in my eye so I am not going to readjust anymore at this point.

The CRT on the right looks better because is closer to the camera and takes up more of the picture, so the camera is adjusting the light levels to match that screen. When the LCD is closer it looks balanced instead, and the CRT looks dim and washed out by comparison. The point is that photos of screens never accurately show what they look like in person.

Monitor Burn fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 7, 2017

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
use 240p test suite, follow a guide for calibrating color bars, don't try to match up pictures between displays (especially lcd to crt what). it's really that simple

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

y'all I don't think this dead horse has been beaten enough. Just tell me how I can get my NES on a CRT to look the same as the Wii U.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

RZA Encryption posted:

y'all I don't think this dead horse has been beaten enough. Just tell me how I can get my NES on a CRT to look the same as the Wii U.

that's easy, just turn the brightness way the gently caress down

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

Instant Sunrise posted:

that's easy, just turn the brightness way the gently caress down

And soften up the sharpness.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I still don't know exactly why the NES games are so loving dark on the Wii U. The audio issues and softness I can kind of excuse, but the brightness is so obviously wrong the second you start a game.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Elliotw2 posted:

I still don't know exactly why the NES games are so loving dark on the Wii U. The audio issues and softness I can kind of excuse, but the brightness is so obviously wrong the second you start a game.

It's supposedly some kind of method to prevent epileptic seizures from any screen flashes.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's widely believed to be a precautionary catch-all feature to minimise the chances of anything that might trigger an epileptic fit.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Man I followed your color correction advice but Mario's overalls always look brown in SMB1 :argh:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Monitor Burn posted:

The CRT on the right looks better because is closer to the camera and takes up more of the picture, so the camera is adjusting the light levels to match that screen. When the LCD is closer it looks balanced instead, and the CRT looks dim and washed out by comparison. The point is that photos of screens never accurately show what they looks like in person.

I have no idea why i thought it was a good idea to compare a lcd to a crt. The 240p test suite was what I used to finally get it configured right, so no more messing with that poo poo.

With that done, what a good colorful game on the Genesis to try out beyond the usual Sonic games?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

univbee posted:

Picture Always Lousy

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Something something Audio always quick

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Rirse posted:

I have no idea why i thought it was a good idea to compare a lcd to a crt. The 240p test suite was what I used to finally get it configured right, so no more messing with that poo poo.

With that done, what a good colorful game on the Genesis to try out beyond the usual Sonic games?

I usually go with Streets of Rage 1 or 2

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Picture Always Lousy

Only because they couldn't fit in a sarcastic quip about the terrible choice of refresh rate.

Not that NTSC is great on that front either, though there's actual engineering reasons why it's 29.996. Nobody was going to be able to match films anyway since 24 is pretty crappy for broadcast television and 48 wasn't really on the radar for people in the 1940's.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Only because they couldn't fit in a sarcastic quip about the terrible choice of refresh rate.

Not that NTSC is great on that front either, though there's actual engineering reasons why it's 29.996. Nobody was going to be able to match films anyway since 24 is pretty crappy for broadcast television and 48 wasn't really on the radar for people in the 1940's.

The only black and white M system that NTSC was built on top of ran at exactly 60 Hz/30fps, since AC cycled at 60Hz in north america. PAL was 50Hz/25fps because AC in europe cycled at 50Hz. When they added color to the M system to make it NTSC, they slowed the frame rate down to 29.97fps in order to accommodate the color subcarrier.

But Europe was a goddamn mess of video standards, with Britain and most of the continent using PAL, and France and the Eastern Block nations using SECAM, with the Eastern Block countries specifically using it to make their TV's incompatible with West Germany's PAL broadcasting.

But this is why video equipment in Europe would use RGB SCART, because the standards were such a goddamn mess that RGB was just about the only way to make sure that something could work.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Instant Sunrise posted:

There's a reason that video engineers joke that NTSC stands for "Never The Same Color"

And its because of the horrible tolerances of 50s/60s vacuum tube technology. It was quite irrelevant by the time of mass market video games.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

d0s posted:

this but unironically

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's widely believed to be a precautionary catch-all feature to minimise the chances of anything that might trigger an epileptic fit.

I hope not. They already make a bunch of (in-game) changes to reduce flashing. Making the games darker seems like it'd induce eye strain if you're playing in a well-lit room. :(

Flashing used to not bother me at all back in the day, but the older I get the worse it gets. Too much of it gives me a nasty headache.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty sure the dark image in Wii/Wii U VC was implemented as a burn-in countermeasure.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

d0s posted:

a version with perfect pixel-crisp graphics :smug:

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for shooters for SNES.

These are the games I think I've played: Gradius 3, Super RType, RType 3, Axelay, Darius Twin

Am I missing any other obvious ones?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Rirse posted:

If you have a flash cart, Super Fantasy Zone is pretty drat colorful.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

univbee posted:

kirbysuperstar posted:

Picture Always Lousy
Phramerates Are Lower

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

mariooncrack posted:

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for shooters for SNES.

These are the games I think I've played: Gradius 3, Super RType, RType 3, Axelay, Darius Twin

Am I missing any other obvious ones?

As far as US releases go, the other really big ones are Capcom's UN Squadron and Taito's Super Nova (Darius Force). Contra 3's not a shmup but get that, too.

If you're willing to import then there's also Konami's Pop'n Twinbee and Parodius games, Macross: Scrambled Valkyrie and lots of other games that may or may not be worth the going price.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
There's Super Aleste in the form of Space MegaForce if you're a Compile fan, and Thunder Spirits if you don't have the Genesis version.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 33 hours!
Something exceedingly Contrary to the American Method - Only SECAM joke I could find.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

My dad did home theater installation for a while. Mostly high end equipment, so wealthy people in general. Sometimes they would ask him to haul away whatever they were replacing, and that's how I ended up with a Hitachi CRT that had a switch on the front for NTSC, PAL, or SECAM.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

RZA Encryption posted:

My dad did home theater installation for a while. Mostly high end equipment, so wealthy people in general. Sometimes they would ask him to haul away whatever they were replacing, and that's how I ended up with a Hitachi CRT that had a switch on the front for NTSC, PAL, or SECAM.

What is SECAM, I never heard of that format.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Rirse posted:

What is SECAM, I never heard of that format.

Système Écran Couleur Avec Mémoire (color screen system with memory), used in France and Eastern Europe way back when.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

RZA Encryption posted:

God drat, just one with a NTSC/PAL switch seems like it would be godlike for retro gaming.

Mace Bacon
Apr 16, 2008

YOU'RE SLEEPING HERE? IS THIS WHERE YOU'RE SLEEPING? HUH?!

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

God drat, just one with a NTSC/PAL switch seems like it would be godlike for retro gaming.

In PAL territories most later AV stuff does PAL/NTSC. I've got VCRs that do both.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

re: screen settings/color adjustment:

If you have a Lucasfilm DVD (Star Wars or Indiana Jones most likely), then you can just use the THX Optimizer for perfect color balance settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Silhouette posted:

re: screen settings/color adjustment:

If you have a Lucasfilm DVD (Star Wars or Indiana Jones most likely), then you can just use the THX Optimizer for perfect color balance settings.

Dammit, I followed your advice and used my Special Edition DVD and now there's a Dewback in Sonic Green Hill Zone.

• Locked thread