Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I didn't see GB2016 but most critics say the problem is the movie basically doesn't have a script, so the cast just had to improv, and that is no way to make a comedy film. Unfortunately most people blame the fact that the movie is apparently not very funny on the very talented cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

I didn't see GB2016 but most critics say the problem is the movie basically doesn't have a script, so the cast just had to improv, and that is no way to make a comedy film. Unfortunately most people blame the fact that the movie is apparently not very funny on the very talented cast.

Kate Mckinnon and Lesley Jones are the better parts of the film. McCarthy is terrible as she is in everything she appears in and Wiig seemed to be sleepwalking through the film.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Whoa there son, let's not say things we can't take back

I genuinely think it is. I don't think either is unwatchably terrible but for all that G16 is largely improved the cast has better chemistry than GB2 where it's clear that Bill Murray would rather be anywhere else at any time and the rest of the cast half-to-quarter asses it. It still has some amazing scenes and lines but it's not a pure classic like the original.

Regardless, people act like it shat on their dog and it's nowhere near bad enough to justify that.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

Whoa there son, let's not say things we can't take back

Bill Murray is over-rated.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Bill Murray is over-rated.

mods?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I am the rare person who likes gb2 and the darker tone it went with

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rhyno posted:

Kate Mckinnon and Lesley Jones are the better parts of the film. McCarthy is terrible as she is in everything she appears in and Wiig seemed to be sleepwalking through the film.
The weird thing is Jones' role was originally written for McCarthy and she turned that down. It was more of a traditional McCarthy type comedy role.

I have never been a fan of Wiig...in a lot of her roles she's barely there it seems

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

The weird thing is Jones' role was originally written for McCarthy and she turned that down. It was more of a traditional McCarthy type comedy role.

I have never been a fan of Wiig...in a lot of her roles she's barely there it seems

Wiig's best work was done on SNL. They keep pushing her as a leading star in comedies but I don't think she has the charisma for it.

I will never understand why people enjoy McCarthy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

We get it. You can let it go now.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

site posted:

I'd honestly say the opposite and that GB2 was lighter in a forced way. Like yeah the basic concept is darker but then it has toyetic slime guns, a Nintendo-controlled statue of liberty, more overt kid-focused humor, and so-on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

BUT SHE KEELED MAH CHILDHOOD MOVIE FRANCHISE

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

Wiig's best work was done on SNL. They keep pushing her as a leading star in comedies but I don't think she has the charisma for it.

Wait you like Wiig and McKinnon on SNL?

This explains so much.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Lurdiak posted:

This isn't the thread for Ghostbusters chat, so all I will say is that in a movie called "Ghostbusters" they bust precisely zero* ghosts. It is such a clusterfuck of a movie.

They catch one, but deliberately let it go to spite Bill Murray so I'm not even counting that. They didn't even hold onto it for a whole loving day.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They bust all the ghosts.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

X-O posted:

She always plays this unpleasant character who just isn't a very nice or interesting person, and then later it turns out she had a bad childhood or something. All of her characters are like this and I don't get it.

But Spy was good though. She played someone against her usual schtick, and found a clever, and pretty great way to work it in that actually makes the character richer overall. And while Ghostbusters, she didn't do her usual thing, my issue was that character wasn't really anything, along with Wiig, and they were supposed to be the heart of the film. It didnt' land.

Had Jones and McKinnon do the whole portal rescue scene at the end, I feel like it would've landed a lot better. I actually sort of found McKinnon's weirdly endearing speech at the end a bit moving.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They beat the ghosts up with whips and send them through woodchippers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I'm not really clear how "they don't bust any ghosts" is a criticism unless you're using an incredibly narrow definition of bust in which case I'm pretty sure the old-school ghostbusters aren't exactly flush with busts.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Wait you like Wiig and McKinnon on SNL?

This explains so much.

No I like Wiig on some SNL. Other than GB2016 I never saw McKinnon in anything.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

To clarify, the fact that they beat up the ghosts and chip them is terrible and i hate it.

That whole ending sequence was such a trainwreck.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

ImpAtom posted:

Gb16 was better than Ghostbusters 2 and not as good as the original.

That's exactly where I put it, and I like 2. I was expecting to enjoy it but not as much as the originals and I was very pleasantly surprised. I really only have one complaint and that's the big third act fight scene. I thought it fell pretty flat, but I really liked the rest of the movie.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guy's ideal Ghostbusters movie is just Dirty Jobs but with ghosts.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

The answer is in a movie called Spy. Watch it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spy is so dang good. It got me excited for Feig's Ghostbusters. I think it was just too big of a project for the guy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

The fact that Donald Trump is President and Warner Brothers thinks that, of all the DC properties, Shazaam needs to be a two-part movie are legitimately the most surprising things in my life up to this point.

Can you imagine the DC treatment?

Cut to a corn-field, burning.

A CUT AND GRIZZLED MAN WITH LIKE A FIVE DAY OLD SHADOW BEARD OR SOMETHING LIES KNEELING, HIS FISTS BLOODY

He's holding the severed head of a tiger with a pipe in his mouth

SHAZAM: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I haven't seen Ghostbusters because I don't like the last couple Paul Feig movies (Spy, Bridesmaids), and I also don't generally find Melissa McCarthy funny. Like I said, I'll check it when it's streaming somewhere.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ignite Memories posted:

To clarify, the fact that they beat up the ghosts and chip them is terrible and i hate it.

That whole ending sequence was such a trainwreck.

There is literally an entire third person shooter starring the original Ghostbusters cast, billed as "Ghostbusters 3", where they beat up ghosts using a variety of weapons. This is discounting the long series of Ghostbusters material (including multiple cartoon series) where they also do similar things.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
GB16 is a perfectly fine, if forgettable, movie. The only real issues I had with it were the boring ending where they literally fight the GB logo, and the shoe-horned cameos. The fact that all these turbonerd fanboys are still boycotting it is immensely sad and kind of funny. There are grown rear end men who typed literal pages of negative text on the Ghostbusters facebook page when they posted pictures of little girls dressed as the GB16 characters last year. What kind of sad empty life do these people live?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Guy's ideal Ghostbusters movie is just Dirty Jobs but with ghosts.

That is literally the original pitch.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

There is literally an entire third person shooter starring the original Ghostbusters cast, billed as "Ghostbusters 3", where they beat up ghosts using a variety of weapons. This is discounting the long series of Ghostbusters material (including multiple cartoon series) where they also do similar things.

Yeah I played it, it was about as good as gb16.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Ghostbusters 16 was physically painful and I can get away with saying that because I didn't like either of the first two movies.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'd call GB1 my favorite movie of all time and I liked GB16 well enough. To be fair I probably give it extra credit just for pissing off MRAs.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Retro Futurist posted:

I'd call GB1 my favorite movie of all time and I liked GB16 well enough. To be fair I probably give it extra credit just for pissing off MRAs.

Yea, GB16 was fine, I legitimately laughed a lot at a lot of the Chris Hemsworth stuff. He really has great comedic timing. I thought the women were also fine, but yea the Ghost at the end being the logo was really silly.

Don't be the Mayor from Jaws!
Don't ever call me the Jaws Mayor!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

site posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NntnimnOR6c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5s6xs4CEnI

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

That Sean Spicer gag was pure comedic genius you bastard!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

site posted:

I actually didn't know people disliked GB2 until I read it in Cine D. This leads me to believe that most people who don't post here probably like it.

"On a mountain of skulls, in the castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood! What was will be! What is will be no more! Now is the season of evil!"

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't think it's universally hated or anything, but I've encountered the idea before. A lot of people dislike how much it rehashes the first one, and how it just does weird things for the sake of the cartoon like having Janine be sassy and wear comical glasses instead of just done with everything. And it's really noticeable how little Bill Murray wanted to be in the movie.

I was a tiny child when it came out so I thought it was awesome that the titanic shows up with ghosts in it and the statue of liberty walks around, and that opinion remains largely unchanged.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
It made a lot less money and got worse reviews. It's not bad enough to hate but I think a lot of people felt it was a step down.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's definitely darker and not as funny. The writing in the original is amazing and i guess it's hard to make lightning strike twice like that.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
GB2 is at least still better than Blues Brothers 2000.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Listen. We don't talk about Blues Brothers 2000.

• Locked thread