Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fermented Tinal posted:

EE: How underhanded would it be for me to scrap the Mazda with the free-to-me lovely old steel rims and half bald winters I've got on it right now so I can kijiji the summers and alloy rims?

...I scrapped the wife's Taurus with no wheels at all. Call the scrap company, they said $200 to pick it up and haul it away. I said it wouldn't have wheels or tires or anything; it'll just be on rotors, so send a rollback. They sent a snatch truck, then quickly came back with a rollback.

So, no. And if you don't have to have the lovely ones on there to scrap it, keep them and sell them for a quick buck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm $10k into this car already, and I haven't bothered getting a repair quote from a mechanic because I can't even get a month of problem-free operation out of it anymore.

Mazda charges a shitload for parts, think 2x dealership parts prices in the US and you'll be close to what we're paying.

I'm sure I could probably get it fixed for $4500, maybe even have some body work done, but why should I keep investing in a vehicle I hate?

Now, mechanically I've taken care of this car to the best of my ability and affordability, but admittedly, I did treat the interior like a garbage dump:

That's 2 years ago, I drive one of my coworkers to work so now I keep it clean(er).

Any trash or loose items in my car drives me bonkers so I'm triggered as gently caress right now.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Delayed applying for a job online to apply for it in person today. Got told to go apply online so ofcourse when I got home the position is no longer posted on their website :suicide:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Previa_fun posted:

Any trash or loose items in my car drives me bonkers so I'm triggered as gently caress right now.

gooncar.jpg

Honestly, I thought I was a slob until MGS posted pictures of the hoard he has to live in.

E: Not that I'm using that as a justification to not clean, more the opposite really.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Feb 7, 2017

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Fermented Tinal posted:

EE: How underhanded would it be for me to scrap the Mazda with the free-to-me lovely old steel rims and half bald winters I've got on it right now so I can kijiji the summers and alloy rims?

Unless they're going to give you increased payout for the scrap value of the alloy wheels I'd definitely scrap it with the steelies and shot to poo poo tires.

When we scrapped the '03 6 used as a donor car I paid $40 to have my good winter tires dismounted and a set of lovely dry-rotted to hell and back all-seasons that came on the car put on. From what my FIL told me it wouldn't have mattered if it had wheels at all - when they took it off the trailer they jammed a pair of long forklift forks through the rear window and lifted it straight up into the air.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Feb 7, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I just spent £25 on replacing a pile of broken trim clips and disintegrated control knobs for my 190e.

At least I can still order all the parts direct from Mercedes for a 27+ year-old car!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I also own a Mazda6 of that era and despite a few differences that looks a lot like my interior so I think I'm gonna have to go clean my car now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
A tempting project:

https://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/5989817995.html

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You need any parts, Rhyno? I promise to sanitize them.

Geoj posted:

when they took it off the trailer they jammed a pair of long forklift forks through the rear window and lifted it straight up into the air.

E: OOOOOO, I have a forklift license, maybe I can get the scrapper let me cube my car. Hell, I'd consider paying them to let me do it if I didn't need the money I have right now.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Feb 7, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, anyways, this is the Versa I've been looking at:
http://drummondauto.carpages.ca/used/2288884/Owen_sound/2007-Nissan-Versa

The body's good except for the rear wheel well and door (that are in the picture), clearly got too close to a post or a doorway and have some minor damage that I would actually address in the spring to help keep the wheel well from rotting out. That's fine by me, gently caress, my car came with a nice scratch on the door and lots of chipped paint all over, but I'm also buying this Versa with the idea of reselling it later, so I'm going to take better care of the interior and body, that means no smokin' in the car anymore too.

Haggled down to 3995 + HST = 4514.35 I wanted to get it under 4k before taxes, goal accomplished though I got stonewalled when I tried to get more than that $5. Deal ain't done yet though and it all depends on whether or not I can secure financing, but I should be able to, somehow have a credit score over 700 still. I'd really like this to close on Thursday though, as that's payday and would let me put 2k down instead of 1k, but I guess we'll see what tomorrow's trip to the scrapper brings.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Brother and his wife have been in the girlfriends house as renters for almost a month, so far going well and they love it. Really hoping it works well but the whole no good deed goes unpunished thing.
Maybe it will work out fine, but imo that's a dangerous road to go down with close family.

So we rent my wife's old house. Long story short, we rented it one time before and it went really badly. Was cleaning up and preparing to put it on the market for sale after that episode went wrong, and my current tenants came by and begged me to rent to them. "We can buy within a year" they tell me. One of their moms lives on the same street and they like the area and blah blah blah

Well it's going on 4 years and no sale. Currently the lease (rent to own, technically a lease with option to purchase) has run out and we verbally agreed to extend another year (but that's it), however I haven't yet drawn up the new lease. I was very clear in the beginning and in the contract that I wasn't doing small repairs like broken appliances, and now he's bugging me about the stove not working, mind you after paying rent a day late.

How loving dumb do you have to be, to annoy your (reluctant) landlord about some dumb poo poo when I can post an eviction notice on your rear end in the morning and have you gone in a month? And when I offered to repair it he gets kinda snotty, because I think he expects to get a new one for some reason. One more headache I do not need.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I bet there's something I broke that I need to replace. I just can't think of anything.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

angryrobots posted:

Maybe it will work out fine, but imo that's a dangerous road to go down with close family.

So we rent my wife's old house. Long story short, we rented it one time before and it went really badly. Was cleaning up and preparing to put it on the market for sale after that episode went wrong, and my current tenants came by and begged me to rent to them. "We can buy within a year" they tell me. One of their moms lives on the same street and they like the area and blah blah blah

Well it's going on 4 years and no sale. Currently the lease (rent to own, technically a lease with option to purchase) has run out and we verbally agreed to extend another year (but that's it), however I haven't yet drawn up the new lease. I was very clear in the beginning and in the contract that I wasn't doing small repairs like broken appliances, and now he's bugging me about the stove not working, mind you after paying rent a day late.

How loving dumb do you have to be, to annoy your (reluctant) landlord about some dumb poo poo when I can post an eviction notice on your rear end in the morning and have you gone in a month? And when I offered to repair it he gets kinda snotty, because I think he expects to get a new one for some reason. One more headache I do not need.

We just sold my wife's rental last week for the exact same reasons. It's a loving pain, tenants don't give a poo poo, and she rented it to friends. Said friends missed at least one month of rent per year, and never ever paid within the first 5 days of the month. So glad it's gone.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
To my suprise, the Matrix I'm driving around has terminal oversteer, not understeer. I'm impressed how hard you can lean on the poor thing before it breaks loose too, it's almost fun until the stability control gets wind of what you're doing and begins interfering. :(

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
That's when you pull the fuse/unbolt the swaybars.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

E: OOOOOO, I have a forklift license, maybe I can get the scrapper let me cube my car. Hell, I'd consider paying them to let me do it if I didn't need the money I have right now.

I need a fuse panel cover and the triangular piece to replace the factory bose tweeter location on the doors, but its probably cheaper to buy one from mazda than pay shipping from canada to the us. Much less get one out of a junkyard.

Unfortunately, literally everything else I need/want is either bulky as gently caress or wagon specific. :cry:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
IIRC, my fuse panel cover has a big scratch across it, similar deals with the speaker covers. Honestly, the shipping shouldn't be that bad. All the stuff I sent MGS for Christmas was $35 in shipping and that was probably more weight and larger size than those bits of plastic. Hell, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping if you want.

As for anything else, just take pictures on your car of what you want off my car. Small plastic poo poo I'll do for the cost of shipping, anything metal or large and plastic, I want scratch.

E: I saw a 6 wagon from our era when test-driving the Versa. Joked with my dad about flagging them down to see if they wanted any parts.

EE: You got until I finish calling scrappers tomorrow to find one who'll make me an offer I won't refuse.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Feb 7, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was just looking over my facebook memories posts from last year as I always troll Colts fans during super bowls and i had a post about an unknown phone number calling me at 3am. Did 5 minutes of detective work and of course it was my friend who just died. Of loving course.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's not your fault man.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oh I can tell you my subconscious is absolutely going to make me blame myself now.

Edit: I called the number hoping to hear a voicemail message but I got the no longer in service recording.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 7, 2017

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

IIRC, my fuse panel cover has a big scratch across it, similar deals with the speaker covers. Honestly, the shipping shouldn't be that bad. All the stuff I sent MGS for Christmas was $35 in shipping and that was probably more weight and larger size than those bits of plastic. Hell, I'll send them to you for the cost of shipping if you want.

As for anything else, just take pictures on your car of what you want off my car. Small plastic poo poo I'll do for the cost of shipping, anything metal or large and plastic, I want scratch.

E: I saw a 6 wagon from our era when test-driving the Versa. Joked with my dad about flagging them down to see if they wanted any parts.

EE: You got until I finish calling scrappers tomorrow to find one who'll make me an offer I won't refuse.

I'm skint for the next month or so due to piecing together a radio for the wagon, so don't worry about it.

Also, seems the mazda curse skipped over me and bit my buddy with his new rx8. He looped it out while merging onto a major roadway and clipped a curb. Apparently a dude was riding an electric bicycle in the middle turn lane with no lights while wearing all black and buddy had to take evasive action to avoid smacking him. Bicyclist didn't even stop to see if my buddy was alright. Knocked a couple wheel weights off, a good bit of curb rash and some increased tire noise, so assuming the alignment is fuckered. He has owned the car less than a week. I told him that he should have hit the idiot, might have gotten new headlights out of the insurance claim. :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
A PV cell powering an LED powering a PV cell powering an LED powering a....

Photosisyphus

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Adiabatic posted:

A PV cell powering an LED powering a PV cell powering an LED powering a....

Photosisyphus

Somebody call the hospital, I'm overgroaned.

Corn pop, I'll pull those plastic bits and hold onto them then. Worst case, I'll save them for AISS.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Fermented Tinal posted:

I'm $10k into this car already, and I haven't bothered getting a repair quote from a mechanic because I can't even get a month of problem-free operation out of it anymore.

Mazda charges a shitload for parts, think 2x dealership parts prices in the US and you'll be close to what we're paying.

I'm sure I could probably get it fixed for $4500, maybe even have some body work done, but why should I keep investing in a vehicle I hate?

Now, mechanically I've taken care of this car to the best of my ability and affordability, but admittedly, I did treat the interior like a garbage dump:

That's 2 years ago, I drive one of my coworkers to work so now I keep it clean(er).

February Chat Thread: should have left your fat hoarding gooncar years ago

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Tempting indeed. Pick it up, do all the work and I'll give you $2000 $1500 for it

angryrobots posted:

So we rent my wife's old house. Long story short, we rented it one time before and it went really badly. Was cleaning up and preparing to put it on the market for sale after that episode went wrong, and my current tenants came by and begged me to rent to them. "We can buy within a year" they tell me.
Think we're going to end up in a similar situation. We did a 6 month lease then month to month after that but told them they have a year to decide to buy it or move. Initially she offered them a rent to own deal with 1/2 the rent going towards down payment but they said no. Then a month later they suddenly had to start paying rent for the place they were living so they needed a place asap and she let them move in. Of course day after they signed the lease someone contacted her to buy the place.

Still no work from the guy that "really wanted to buy the car because it is perfect" so it's back on CL.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Adiabatic posted:

hows everyones febtober?

im so god damned busy right now and i love it

Clinically depressed and out of alcohol, but I'm sober enough to walk and the store opens in an hour or so. Can't wait until poo poo settles down at work and my insurance gets straightened out.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

NitroSpazzz posted:

Think we're going to end up in a similar situation.
I wouldn't have rented the place especially after the disastrous first rental (and lawsuit pending :v: ), but it's my wife's money and she was nervous about how long it would take to sell.

Somehow I get roped into into dealing with the renters and she collects the check. Is it misogynist to say it that way? It's just the truth

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Liquid Communism posted:

Clinically depressed and out of alcohol, but I'm sober enough to walk and the store opens in an hour or so. Can't wait until poo poo settles down at work and my insurance gets straightened out.

Walk to the shop and then carry on walking. Walking is better than buying alcohol to drown your sorrows.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Heh, first wrecker I call, they ask me for all sorts of info about the car, and go "If you drive it here, $200."

That's not even as good as the other wrecker in town offering $250 for clapped out vehicles you deliver to the lot yourself.

E: Next one goes "There's only $80 in metal in that car, $150 because it drives."

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Feb 7, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

InitialDave posted:

Man, it didn't click earlier, $5950 is £4800.

You guys get hosed on used car prices. That's literally double what those kinds of cars are here. Given how cheap new stuff is in the USA, it's nuts.

I assumed he was from Canada, given that he was quoting cars in KMs. In that case, $5950 is £3656

EDIT: Oh, new page. Whoops

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Yes, I am a Soviet Canuckistani.

So think about that, another wrecker offered me $100 CAD for my car.

That's like what, $70 USD on a good day?

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Fermented Tinal posted:

Yes, I am a Soviet Canuckistani.

So think about that, another wrecker offered me $100 CAD for my car.

That's like what, $70 USD on a good day?

Xe.com says 76 today.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Heh, well, I found a wrecker willing to offer me $250 sight unseen, possibly more if I toss the alloys back on it. I told him I'll call him back.

Now I'm wondering if I could get a hundo or so more if I just poo poo it out on kijiji.

How's this seem for an ad? Ask is $500.

quote:

Car is a solid winter beater, and pretends to be nothing else. Will need work to safety. Need it gone today so make me an offer, otherwise it's going to the scrapper. Selling as is.

Recent work (last 6 mo):
New thermostat
New rear brake rotors
New pads on all four corners, regreased calipers
Flush and service on the transmission
Power steering system flushed and refilled
New AC belt and idler pulley

Engine rebuilt by Mazda-approved shop 80,000km ago. Starts right up and runs. Torque reports a fuel economy of 8-12L/100km while driving around Owen Sound and the surrounding area when driving at the posted limits.

Comes with service history and invoices from new to now.

Has CEL for code P0128, needs a coolant temp sensor as the enigne reaches temperature and stays there.

Rough interior, dog and smoker car.

Comes with worn winters mounted up.

Summer rims and tires (2 tires replaced last spring, other two have good tread) are not included but negotiable.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Liquid Communism posted:

Keep walking straight past that store and eventually you'll feel a little better.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Tomarse posted:

Is the picture your sensor? Try BRC DE802051off that sticker:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LPG-LPG-BRC-Temperature-sensor-Evaporator-/302202270527?_trksid=p2141725.m3641.l6368.

Can't see the connector from the pictures, but it is likely to be an econoseal or superseal in my experience of LPG kits so far.

If DE means it is a delphi sender is also possible its a Delphi metri-pack.

Also see here

Take some more photos for us and I can guess better, or Ken can likely ID it immediately.

I did lots of temp sensor research for my megasquirt install. I think a lot of temp sensors measure -40 to +130 - so around -40 may be the lower limit your ECU will display. It might just display -40 on open circuit and +130 on shorted direct to ground.

This is a Bosch Datasheet for the sensor used by Rover in the Rover V8. There is a handy graph on page 2. The temp sensor on my LPG vaporiser seems to follow the same curve

Thanks for the effortpost.

Yes, that is my sensor and both the numbers on it (stamped/labelled) refer to it specifically as an LPG sensor, so (surprisingly), they must have had it made specially.

I'll have to doublecheck (when it is not raining!), but it looks like that LPGShop might be the right one, thought he pins seem a bit too far apart. Helpfully, they included this photo with the listing:

I'm going to try the guy who sold me the replacement sensor and see if he has any matching plugs.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My boss just pointed out that if my friend was calling me then it means she had probably forgiven me. So even though I'm looking at it as a missed opportunity to help a friend I didn't know needed help, thinking about it the other way has put me at ease.

Edit: Because otherwise I'm gonna go crazy right? The idea that she had forgiven me is the only good thing I can glean from this so I'm gonna run with it.

Rhyno fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 7, 2017

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Fermented Tinal posted:

How's this seem for an ad? Ask is $500.

$500 for a running car is fair, even in real US dollars.

Rhyno posted:

My boss just pointed out that if my friend was calling me then it means she had probably forgiven me. So even though I'm looking at it as a missed opportunity to help a friend I didn't know needed help, thinking about it the other way has put me at ease.

Edit: Because otherwise I'm gonna go crazy right? The idea that she had forgiven me is the only good thing I can glean from this so I'm gonna run with it.

With what you are dealing with, and what is upcoming with your girl, you really should look at talking to someone more professional than your boss. I say that honestly, not sarcastically.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 7, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seminal Flu posted:

$500 for a running car is fair, even in real US dollars.

With what you are dealing with, and what is upcoming with your girl, you really should look at talking to someone more professional than your boss. I say that honestly, not sarcastically.

Worth noting, my "boss" really only works here a few days a month and is a pastor, he's a pretty great resource. The shrink I was gonna see canceled all her appointments for the month so I'm hanging in the wind on that.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So, I pick up the Versa on Friday afternoon, earlier if they finish getting it ready, no money's changed hands but I am now committed to buying my fourth vehicle.

On the phone to my insurance broker, I told her I was finally getting rid of the Mazda, and her first question was "So, you want to transfer it to your land cruiser?" :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Went to a Monster Jam event over the weekend and it was a blast, watching a 12,000 pound truck with 1500 HP fly through the air like a loving dirt bike is pretty drat cool. They're even doing loving back flips and front flips now, in person it's a trip. If anyone has an opportunity to go do it, it's a made for AI event.

• Locked thread