Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

sharkytm posted:

The Dr isn't sure what's gonna happen with my nail. It could come in fine, it could come in semi OK, or it could come in sideways crazy rear end gently caress. If that's the case, I'll get the nail killed completely. :airquote: Yay. :airquote:

(and he lost his fingernail building a dolls-house, so you out-macho him)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Give it like 6mo of trimmable growth at least before killing it dude, I whacked one of mine with a brick at like 6 and it was months before the nail wasn't lumpy and lopsided as hell.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Just want to make sure I'm not trying to be too clever here and missing something. I have a kerosene torpedo heater in my garage that I want to make sure is running properly and to set the fuel/air mix they want you screw a $20-30 gauge into a 1/8" NPT port and adjust the air pump adjuster screw until the gauge reads 3.4psi. Would I be fine getting a valve stem adapter (like this) and checking it with a tire gauge?

Edit:I'm trying it. We'll see if it works in two days.

Cat Hatter fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 31, 2017

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Heh. Just went to a hardware store close to my work and discovered they had literal bargain bins. $4.36 later I had a 23mm wrench and two ½" sockets, 16mm and 22mm. The best part was checking the receipt. Apparently, list price for the same items used to be $58(!) I'll say 90%+ rebate is acceptable.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

bolind posted:

23mm wrench

I can not recall ever encountering a 23mm fastener.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
7/8?

e: not quite

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
7/8" is close enough to 22mm that I can use that (for stuff like O2 sensors). Though I guess having a 23mm wrench or socket available is a powerful protective spell against ever having to deal with that size ever.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

ionn posted:

Rear diff fill plug on an S2000. Ended up buying some lovely Craftsman after multiple other stores didn't have one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

ionn posted:

I have had to use mine, but can't remember what on.

It's one of those "well, gently caress you!" fastener sizes.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I can't remember if the rear axle nut on my Bandit 600 was 22, 23 or 24mm, but I think it was 23.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
It's actually funny, because S2k diff oil filler plug, Suzuki axels and axel nuts on some trucks were all mentioned when I researched what to use my newly acquired wrench for.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer
I bet having a 23mm nut/bolt/plug is some kind of inside joke among a small group of automotive engineers with an especially twisted sense of humor.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

ionn posted:

Banjobolt on pretty much all Rx-7 oil coolers/lines.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

ionn posted:

I bet having a 23mm nut/bolt/plug is some kind of inside joke among a small group of automotive engineers with an especially twisted sense of humor.

Well there is the JIS versus DIN, where heads on a m8 bolt are 12 or 13mm, as I recall. It's probably an proper sizing for a certain diameter.

eddyc49
Aug 25, 2004

the spyder posted:

Banjobolt on pretty much all Rx-7 oil coolers/lines.

If I remember correctly, the banjo bolt for the fuel rail on D/B series Honda motors was a 23mm as well. I know I had a 23mm wrench and a socket for some reason at that time.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I've also got a 23mm socket for reasons I can no longer recall. I think it fits the axle nut on a Hyundai I worked on once...

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

You made me look, and I've got a 15/16" socket (23.8mm) that I'm pretty sure fit the transfer case fill hole on my YJ.

Edit: Transmission drain bolt on the same.

Safety Dance fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Feb 3, 2017

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Terrible Robot posted:

I've also got a 23mm socket for reasons I can no longer recall. I think it fits the axle nut on a Hyundai I worked on once...

I have a 23mm socket but It couldn't get the diff plug and that's why I had to go buy a wrench.

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

DJ Commie posted:

Well there is the JIS versus DIN, where heads on a m8 bolt are 12 or 13mm, as I recall. It's probably an proper sizing for a certain diameter.

Neither ISO, DIN nor JIS have 23mm as the "proper size" anywhere, it's just some made-up oddball thing to do.

I can't really think of any situation where 23mm would fit, but neither of 22 or 24 would. Still, as long as wrenches/sockets are easy to come by, it's not like it's a big deal except the first time. I must admit I do currently feel a slight urge to go buy all my "missing sizes" (23, 25, 26, 28 I think) just to ward off evil fasteners.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Hell yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Safety Dance posted:

You made me look, and I've got a 15/16" socket (23.8mm) that I'm pretty sure fit the transfer case fill hole on my YJ.

Edit: Transmission drain bolt on the same.

Tcase plugs should be 30mm hex or 10mm Allen on jeeps usually.

Trannies, who knows, I grab whatever fits!

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

kastein posted:

Trannies, who knows, I grab whatever fits!
thread title, preferably credited.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

jesus christ

Guess it's a good thing we are currently modless. :v:

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

You sons of bitches.
I was laughing at this thread yesterday about 23mm chat, and I went to square up the table on my drill press today and the god damned tilt bolt is 23mm. Unbelievably I don't have a 23mm socket.

oxbrain
Aug 18, 2005

Put a glide in your stride and a dip in your hip and come on up to the mothership.

What's the build quality like? Do they smell like harbor freight?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Seminal Flu posted:

Who here loves them? I haven't heard of them, but I'm looking for a quiet compressor. The specs on that look super weak, though. 2 cfm at 90psi is going to take a LONG time to do any work.

And now I have a California Air compressor. Looking at their stuff, the 10020 has 5.5 cfm at 90psi and that's enough for my use. Menards has a deal on them for $200 after $50 rebate, which is really cheap for what you get.

I haven't used mine much, but it is very, very quiet coming from a regular direct drive compressor. I see that it feeds its manifold with a 1/4" plastic pipe, so I'll probably bypass that and use larger diameter pipe/regulator, but even then, it's a very good deal.

https://www.menards.com/main/tools-...71978733665.htm

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
So, a 52" Snap-On lower box popped up on CL for an almost too-good-to-be-true price. The ad says that it's missing the top drawer and needs new keys, which says to me "stolen". The ad shows the model number and serial number, is there any way to look up if this box was ever reported stolen anywhere? I'm inclined to think no, and a quick google search doesn't turn up much, but I figured Snap-On might keep a database that this could be checked against.

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?
You can ask your snap on dealer, they can at least tell you if there is a lien against it. Mine was more than happy to sell me new keys.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Bought a huge $150 Gearwrench toolset for $35 because it's discontinued.

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
You can't just say that without info. Where?

I finally got the time and chance to use my mill/drill machine. 1/2" HSS Chinese endmill, 2500rpm. Not the best, but close enough for government work. Then marked center line (which you can't see thanks to the scratches), and tapped the two 1/4-20 threads.

http://i.imgur.com/eJuw80d.jpg

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
Advance. It's one of the larger kits that comes with a bottle opener. Sorry, I don't have a part number handy.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

boxen posted:

So, a 52" Snap-On lower box popped up on CL for an almost too-good-to-be-true price. The ad says that it's missing the top drawer and needs new keys, which says to me "stolen". The ad shows the model number and serial number, is there any way to look up if this box was ever reported stolen anywhere? I'm inclined to think no, and a quick google search doesn't turn up much, but I figured Snap-On might keep a database that this could be checked against.

Look up the number of any local dealer, and ask if he's heard of any being stolen recently. There's probably no database, but word does get around. Also if it was reported stolen to the police they might have a record of it.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Oooops. I just bid $58 on a 3/4" socket set, certain that the seller would tell me to go gently caress my hat. Lo and behold, instead she just told me to send her my shipping address.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

EKDS5k posted:

Look up the number of any local dealer, and ask if he's heard of any being stolen recently. There's probably no database, but word does get around. Also if it was reported stolen to the police they might have a record of it.

I think that's probably the best option. I don't work at a place where a Snap-On guy will ever show up, so I'll have to poke around on their website until I can get a number. They don't seem to have a customer service, either, I suppose once again they want you to go through the truck guys.

EKDS5k
Feb 22, 2012

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU LET YOUR BEER FREEZE, DAMNIT

boxen posted:

I think that's probably the best option. I don't work at a place where a Snap-On guy will ever show up, so I'll have to poke around on their website until I can get a number. They don't seem to have a customer service, either, I suppose once again they want you to go through the truck guys.

Just go into any auto shop and ask for the number of their Snap-on rep.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
3/4" socket set arrived! One socket was ratfucked all to hell with a BFH and an angle grinder, the biggest socket (50mm) had seen some use, the ratchet had seen a little use and the rest had seen no use. The case was rusted and nasty so I ditched that. All in all very happy with the purchase.

Edit: Finally got assed to take a pic. 22mm through 46mm sockets (I think) - 50mm tucked away in the Drawer o' Junk.

bolind fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Feb 12, 2017

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I could have sworn we had a garage thread here but I can't find it.. but any recommendations for a brand of 110V/natural gas shop heater? Reznor?

I saw Heatstar on Amazon but no clue if they are any good or not.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011VI9S2K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

It's too bad you are so far away because I have an extra 200k btu natgas heater in the back of my truck that I want gone for goon pricing right now.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Thanks for the thought man and yeah, too bad. I might have a line on a local 50K-ish though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

slidebite posted:

I could have sworn we had a garage thread here but I can't find it.. but any recommendations for a brand of 110V/natural gas shop heater? Reznor?

I saw Heatstar on Amazon but no clue if they are any good or not.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B011VI9S2K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

It feel as far back as page 4:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3781173

My garage is being used to renovate furniture at the moment so I have no AI content for it.