Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

So doesn't this help Turnbull in the back room party meetings? No Bernardi means one less vote for the far-right wingnuts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

MEANWHILE IN THE VATICAN:

quote:

Investigators from Victoria police have delivered their brief of evidence relating to Australia’s most senior Catholic, Cardinal George Pell, to the Department of Public Prosecutions for consideration.

Police have been investigating allegations that Pell exposed himself to three young boys at Torquay life-saving club in Victoria in the summer of 1986 or 1987.

Another two allegations involve two former St Alipius students, who allege Pell repeatedly touched their genitals while swimming with them at the Eureka pool in Ballarat in 1978-79. At the time, Pell was episcopal vicar for education in the Ballarat diocese.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
When are we all getting Bernardi avatars?

blackcat12951
Oct 23, 2012

HELLCAT BESTCAT

Doctor Rope
Whoever buys the avatars, please use different pics for each poster so we can tell who's posting.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In the party room, at the news of the death of the gold pass, I’m told one MP joked “we will all have to get corporate sponsorship”.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
"So much more... able to be completed."

On ya, Trumble.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

In the party room, at the news of the death of the gold pass, I’m told one MP joked “we will all have to get corporate sponsorship”.

I'm guessing that won't be a joke in the Libs for much longer. I'm wondering who the hell else is going to be in BACP? There doesn't seem to be a very public backing for Cory so far.

https://twitter.com/TomMcIlroy/status/828797928068177922

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

How long until Bernardi has a meltdown that he's getting no press coverage (FAKE NEWS) since he's no longer relevant?

I mean, give it a couple of weeks to die down but after that he might as well be Malcolm Roberts.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
He'll get even less coverage than Roberts, because he's not insane, just a massive fuckwit.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
MR BERNARDI WHY DO YOU AND OTHER PROMINENT CHRISTIANS REFUSE TO CONDEMN THE CHILD SEXUAL ABUSE PERFORMED BY YOUR CHURCH?

EDIT: WHEN ARE WE GOING TO INCREASE MONITORING OF CATHOLICS TO PROTECT OUR CHILDREN?

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

How long until Bernardi has a meltdown that he's getting no press coverage (FAKE NEWS) since he's no longer relevant?

I mean, give it a couple of weeks to die down but after that he might as well be Malcolm Roberts.

He won't be because his vote is going to be critical as a crossbencher. There is literally at best a 3 vote margin right now for any legislation and it won't be much better when the two vacancies are filled. If he can recruit, that could widen. I think the partyroom is going to be very fraught in the Libs from now on, it's an open threat, particularly given Abbott's role.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

He'll get even less coverage than Roberts, because he's not insane, just a massive fuckwit.

Well he'll keep getting headlines for talking about bestiality and banning burkas and so on.

Unless he also has friends at a TV show I don't see him approaching One Nation levels of coverage unless he starts getting some other high profile (former or current) politicians on board.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Cirofren posted:

Well he'll keep getting headlines for talking about bestiality and banning burkas and so on.

Unless he also has friends at a TV show I don't see him approaching One Nation levels of coverage unless he starts getting some other high profile (former or current) politicians on board.
Been :f5h: Warnie's Twitter all day. Still nothing.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Is Bernardi actually the man of integrity this paints him as? It fits with his stated reason for leaving but I really have trouble believing anyone calling homosexuality a slippery slope into bestiality is doing anything other than pandering. Have I got it wrong and this guy actually believes in democracy and is just a tosser about some issues?

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-opinion/inside-story-how-a-conversation-with-tony-abbott-sealed-cory-bernardis-liberal-party-exit-20170205-gu6600.html posted:

Bernardi first sensed a problem in 2009, when during a heated and divisive partyroom debate on whether the Coalition should support Kevin Rudd's emissions trading scheme, one of his colleagues, the now deceased West Australian MP Don Randall, rose to his feet and said: "I don't give a stuff about the national interest, I want to get re-elected and this needs to go away."

Bernardi went back to his Senate office and wrote down the quote. He never forgot it. It was the beginning of the end.

In the first weeks of his prime ministership Abbott said of Bernardi - in front of a group of backbench Coalition MPs - that the conservative senator should already be in cabinet and would be "as soon as he stops talking about the things he is always talking about".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Cirofren posted:

Is Bernardi actually the man of integrity this paints him as? It fits with his stated reason for leaving but I really have trouble believing anyone calling homosexuality a slippery slope into bestiality is doing anything other than pandering. Have I got it wrong and this guy actually believes in democracy and is just a tosser about some issues?

He truly and deeply believes all the abominable poo poo he says.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Doctor Spaceman posted:

He truly and deeply believes all the abominable poo poo he says.

Yeah it's this all the way. The thing is he thinks other people deeply believe it too, but just too afraid, or concerned with electability to say it.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

*hottest Brisbane weather ever recorded in Janurary*
"Nah mate, it ant global warming we are Australia, it's always hot!"

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
He strikes me as rather like that Labor guy who retired because the party would be supporting gay marriage. Principled, but a regressive fuckhead.

If he was concerned with electability or his own career he wouldn't be spouting the abominable poo poo he does.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Didn't bernardi almost get in trouble for some scam stock/sports betting system website he used to run years ago?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Graic Gabtar posted:

Been :f5h: Warnie's Twitter all day. Still nothing.

Its a national speaking tour.

Opera house Syd April 20

Riverside Theatre Perth April 22

Festival Theatre Adel April 24

Concert Hall Bris April 29

Canberra Theatre May 1

Hamer Hall Melbourne May 11 & 12

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

He's insanely self-centred and also fairly stupid, which leads him to be obsessed with ideological purity and to think he can be a leader for a movement that doesn't really exist.

The Monthly posted:

Cory is deluded,” says a Liberal Party colleague. “He is one of the least effective or important members of the parliamentary team. Cory is a person without any intellect, without any base, and he should really never have risen above the position of branch president. His right-wing macho-man act is just his way of looking as though he stands for something.”

quote:

Sinead, with whom [Cory] has two sons, aged ten and 12, says they have the perfect marriage because they’re “both in love with the same man”. “Cory obviously has this huge belief in himself … If you didn’t love a guy who was so in love with himself you’d have a lot of trouble living with Cory. Life – I don’t think he’d mind me saying this – it’s all about Cory. I am all about Cory, and he is all about Cory, so it makes it easy.”

quote:

Some of his moderate colleagues are caustic about Bernardi’s role in undermining Turnbull and others on the small ‘l’ side. One colleague calls him “disloyal and treacherous”, while another says he spends more time attacking those in his own party than the others. Some colleagues privately blame him for circulating a “poo poo sheet” before the 2007 election implying that an unnamed Coalition minister was gay. Bernardi categorically denies he had anything to do with it, adding he’s a “convenient scapegoat for those on the Left”. He has maintained a poisonous feud with fellow South Australian Christopher Pyne, who signed him up to their local branch in the 1980s before they acrimoniously fell out.

He was sacked from the front bench by Malcolm Turnbull in 2009, after writing on his blog that the “wannabe” MP who had recruited him had told him during a golf game that he only ran as a Liberal because he lived in a Liberal seat. Bernardi refused Turnbull’s demand that he apologise to Pyne, and remains unrepentant today. “Why would I apologise for [writing] something that is true?

quote:

For a man who espouses “compassion, acceptance and personal integrity”, to quote his website, there’s also a pitiless quality to Bernardi. He calls asylum-seekers “welfare squatters” and condemned the government for flying survivors of the Christmas Island refugee boat disaster to Sydney to attend their loved ones’ funerals.

“There’s plenty of Australians who miss out on going to funerals too because they can’t afford it,” he says, unmoved by the fact that the mourners included young children who had lost both parents. “It’s tragic,” he adds, stone-faced. The same steely tone is employed when he talks about the elder brother he hasn’t spoken to for a decade, although they see each other at the park when their sons play sport together. He won’t say why they fell out. When I ask if it saddens him, he replies: “You’re gonna say I’m cruel and heartless but no, it doesn’t … It’s just one of those things. I’m estranged from my brother. Big deal.”

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

blackcat12951 posted:

Whoever buys the avatars, please use different pics for each poster so we can tell who's posting.
There are other ways of telling our posters apart.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

The quotes about his personal life are more alarming.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Anidav posted:

*hottest Brisbane weather ever recorded in Janurary*
"Nah mate, it ant global warming we are Australia, it's always hot!"

[melts into a puddle as a ploy to ward off discussion]

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Did he do it? Or is he still sitting on the pot?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

tithin posted:

Did he do it? Or is he still sitting on the pot?

He's done it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Sinead, with whom [Cory] has two sons, aged ten and 12, says they have the perfect marriage because they’re “both in love with the same man”. “Cory obviously has this huge belief in himself … If you didn’t love a guy who was so in love with himself you’d have a lot of trouble living with Cory. Life – I don’t think he’d mind me saying this – it’s all about Cory. I am all about Cory, and he is all about Cory, so it makes it easy.”

:stonk:

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Well poo poo I guess he's a tosser about almost everything. At least he's consistent and should be easier to pin down and argue with than Pauline.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Amoeba102 posted:

The quotes about his personal life are more alarming.

Most of them are just like him, its just the context that makes him look especially terrible. That's the hypocrisy of it.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012
Bizarre that he likens himself to Trump when he clearly is just Australia's Ted Cruz. We already had a Trump, his name was Abbott and he was checked and now we're done with that poo poo. We've moved onto Australia's Gob Jeb: Tumbles Turnbull.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Frogfingers posted:

Bizarre that he likens himself to Trump when he clearly is just Australia's Ted Cruz. We already had a Trump, his name was Abbott and he was checked and now we're done with that poo poo. We've moved onto Australia's Gob Jeb: Tumbles Turnbull.

Palmer was our Trump, not Abbott.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

ewe2 posted:

Most of them are just like him, its just the context that makes him look especially terrible. That's the hypocrisy of it.

Lot of delusional egoists, yeah. I had the same reaction Synth had.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I think you'll find that Palmer was our Dr John Hammond.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Palmer was Ron Paul

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Doctor Spaceman posted:

absolutely. as far as I could tell, his supporters were very alt-right in their views and very anti-establishment.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://youtu.be/YBKZcHw1VK0

oh boy 5 weeks of this.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

But Palmer actually had some convictions.

I mean his convictions are buried under a thick layer of insanity and self-promotion, but when it came to things like refugees he was better than the average.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

The Before Times posted:

absolutely. as far as I could tell, his supporters were very alt-right in their views and very anti-establishment.

Exactly. Trump's success comes down to getting a lot of free media attention and to being seen as being a political outsider. Palmer had those qualities, Abbott never did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Pretty funny that Bolt can't handle even the slightest pushback at all, though.

• Locked thread