Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Not having to wait a month between issues probably helps. It moved very slow at times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Bendis's X-Men run ended up ultimately nowhere.

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Schneider Heim posted:

Bendis's X-Men run ended up ultimately nowhere.

It kept playing like it was going to pay off bringing the O5 to the present, but instead it just became the introduction to the O5 in the present.

And it kept playing like it was going to pay off Cyke's radical turn and instead gave him a mid-life crisis that he tentatively resolved, before he died from a cloud and everyone started treating him like the devil because Emma gave them a vision where he did nothing wrong.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

Mr President posted:

So I'm about halfway through Bendis's X-Men run and I don't understand the hate it gets at all. I'm liking it a lot.

Only thing I don't like is the art in the Uncanny X-Men books.

Oh it started out good. I liked a great deal of it. I think it really started to turn when it became all about "can't control their powers" and the resolution to it all was lovely.
I've got a memory like Swissed cheese, though. I seem to recall there was some pretty good poo poo in it surrounding that girl who could do, like, time bubbles or something? What the hell happened to her?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Every single Bendis story on X-Men ends with the reader feeling "So...what the heck was the point of all that, then?"

There's a massive over-arching time-travel crossover involving future teen Jean as Xorn and Mystique and Xavier's son or something and it all ends with basically nothing being accomplished and no mysteries solved whatsoever.

There's this huge ongoing intrigue over some secret insider pitting SHIELD and X-Men against each other that goes on for months and months and months and ultimately the identity of the mastermind just comes out of nowhere and leads to nothing.

The Last Will and Testament of Charles Xavier arc, where some kind of godly mutant threat has emerged and kills everyone and seems to be completely unstoppable, ends with -- sorry that I'm not going to spoil this -- Bendis' new time travel mutant just traveling back in time to stop the guy from being born all on her own, so that no one in the present day even remembers anything that happened in the last four or five issues.

Oh and speaking of Bendis' new time-traveling mutant, at some point she gets some kind of massive badass power-up offscreen (which led to her being able to do the thing I just mentioned) but we don't get to see what happened and his run just ends without ever addressing that again.

The one unambiguously interesting, consequential thing Bendis probably did in all these stories was to make Iceman gay, but he just kind of tossed it out there in the last...like, two issues of his books or something and then left all the repercussions up in the air for other writers to have to deal with.

All that being said?...I will say that his writing and his stories were, in general, probably better than the X-books as a whole have been ever since the whole M-Pox thing happened.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Eva Bell's time away from the team was shown.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Did anything come from Magik training with Dr. Strange in the past?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

No.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Bendis gave us Goldballs, I feel it was worth it.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Bendis's run will be an enduring narrative touchstone in the X-men canon for at least one groundbreaking contribution to the mythos:

e: :respek: Soonmot.

Squizzle fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 4, 2017

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Quote/edit misfire, have this bonus content.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Hell yeah, buddy.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Goldballs is awesome and pairing him with Miles and Ganke was a great idea.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Skwirl posted:

It was a core part of her reforming herself from the pre-Bendis run status of being a complete sociopath to being relatively well adjusted, not destroying Limbo, and it resulting in her being Sorcerer Supreme in the far-future where Eva ended up so Eva could even learn how to return

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Squizzle posted:

Quote/edit misfire, have this bonus content.

Man, Emma is so happy Fabio's balls are in her face again.

And I am hoping Magik gets her own solo series in this new X-men line, and maybe there they can explore her being a mutant and a sorceress?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can't tell who that is because it's Magik's costume with Emma or Celeste's hair.

That comic had a lot of mistakes like that with the 3 blondes being indistinguishable or mixed together.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Magik was the one with the poo poo coming out of her head.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

You cant take away Magik's bangs goddammit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Open Marriage Night posted:

Magik was the one with the poo poo coming out of her head.

Yea, Illyana has that big headdress thingy with the wings. That's clearly Emma with her coat closed.

Synthbuttrange posted:

You cant take away Magik's bangs goddammit.

This is also true. I don't know why they removed them for the latest character design. It would be like removing Stark or Strange's facial hair.

Starsnostars
Jan 17, 2009

The Master of Magnetism
Is Magik in any of the currently announced team books?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

X-O posted:

Goldballs is awesome and pairing him with Miles and Ganke was a great idea.

Yes.

And Bendis answered a question on Twitter about ho Ganke is pronounced. It's "Gank-ee". I thought it was more like "Gong-kay".

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yea, Illyana has that big headdress thingy with the wings. That's clearly Emma with her coat closed.

This is also true. I don't know why they removed them for the latest character design. It would be like removing Stark or Strange's facial hair.

Not exactly. It's Emma in the wrong costume.

Earlier that's page:

And this is the very next page:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I still think about that issue with Morph where Emma is just randomly dressed up like a goth punk in a Punisher shirt. To peer into Bachalo's head and see what was going on that week.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

Yes.

And Bendis answered a question on Twitter about ho Ganke is pronounced. It's "Gank-ee". I thought it was more like "Gong-kay".

Actually you'll find it's pronounced Ned Leeds.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I'm largely fine with Bachalo's art, but, like, if you're an artist that tends to draw same-y characters, maybe don't have two similar-looking characters in almost identical outfits?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Rochallor posted:

I'm largely fine with Bachalo's art, but, like, if you're an artist that tends to draw same-y characters, maybe don't have two similar-looking characters in almost identical outfits?

Three at times: Emma, Dazzler and Magik All basically the same blond woman in Bachalo's hands. Which made reading the books really confusing at times (like the example above of him confusing Emma and Magik, even for him)

Edit: Ah, yes, four even with Celeste (and very early on all three still had blond hair too). But since she always run around with the other cookoos (and a supershort skirt) it was easier to distinguish her.

Decius fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Feb 5, 2017

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

At least Celeste is supposed to look like Emma.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

At least all 5 cuckoos arent there. :v: How many are left anyway?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

3 but 2 of them dye their hair now.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

3 but 2 of them dye their hair now.

What if they don't and only make you think they have different hair colors?

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

What if none of them exist except as a masterful long con misdirection by Fantomex?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aphrodite posted:

Not exactly. It's Emma in the wrong costume.

Earlier that's page:

And this is the very next page:

Dammit Bachalo, you're getting a Leifeld level of art inconsistency there.

And yea, the only way to tell all the X-Blonds apart is pretty much their outfits. Emma has the coat and the biggest boob window possible, Illyana has the headress and booty shorts, Alison had an all white outfit. their faces were basically the same. Though I will always love the Bachalo :stare:

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
That's why I do not approve of black-costume Emma. She looks too much like Magik.

At what point did the Cuckoos get different hairstyles? I haven't read anything between the end of AvX (where they are still all identical blondes) and post- Secret Wars 3.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's in the middle of Bendis Uncanny.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That Emma costume in white would just look like Dagger, though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Endless Mike posted:

That Emma costume in white would just look like Dagger, though.

Yeah but Dagger isn't usually hanging around X-men books so there's less chance of confusion.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Who designed those costumes? Was it Anka?

I like how Illyana got pants, but the bare midriff is still odd.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

twistedmentat posted:

Who designed those costumes?

Bachalo's libido.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

JoshTheStampede posted:

Yeah but Dagger isn't usually hanging around X-men books so there's less chance of confusion.

They used to sorta be X-Men related characters, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Lurdiak posted:

Bachalo's libido.

Ah the same artist that drew Black Widow smooching Rogue I posted earlier.

• Locked thread