Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

We got that stuff for our conference room that lets you flip a switch and the glass becomes opaque or transparent because blinds weren't cool enough I guess. Except they didn't want to pay for the actual glass so we got some lovely film, and they also didn't want to pay for a professional to install it so... yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Our call center software is all Cisco, so it'll be interesting what the consultants come up with.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

GreenNight posted:

Our call center software is all Cisco, so it'll be interesting what the consultants come up with.

A sagging burlap sack with "$" printed on it

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We're used to it. All our video conferencing equipment is Cisco, along with all our phones, switches, routers, firewalls, etc. We're balls deep.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

GreenNight posted:

We're used to it. All our video conferencing equipment is Cisco, along with all our phones, switches, routers, firewalls, etc. We're balls deep.

I think you'll find they are in fact the ones who are balls-deep :v:.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
In my office, we've got those giant screens for metrics, but we've got aquarium footage on them instead.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

In my office, we've got those giant screens for metrics, but we've got aquarium footage on them instead.

This is the correct usage

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Volmarias posted:

We use ours for major sporting events.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Our NOC has a set of 103 inch flat screens. 3 of them are metrics and monitoring stats. The 4th has a cable TV connection.

"We... uh... yeah! We need to be able to access global news in case something happens. Or something like that"

Plus they're in a restricted access area with frosted glass, so it may or may not have the Science Channel or ESPN or one of those WWII documentary channels on when I visit the NOC.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy

flosofl posted:

Our NOC has a set of 103 inch flat screens. 3 of them are metrics and monitoring stats. The 4th has a cable TV connection.

"We... uh... yeah! We need to be able to access global news in case something happens. Or something like that"

Plus they're in a restricted access area with frosted glass, so it may or may not have the Science Channel or ESPN or one of those WWII documentary channels on when I visit the NOC.

haha we do the same thing. 6 TVs for monitoring and metrics, and 2 more with cable TV to, uh, proactively monitor problem channels. It's very important to monitor every UFC PPV the morning after.

To be fair, we actually use it for it's intended purpose...for about 20 minutes a day.

Renegret fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Feb 6, 2017

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

My floor has TVs mounted every 30 feet around the perimeter of the building. The one over my desk is always on either Sci or BBC America depending on my mood, since I have the cable remote.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Volmarias posted:

No that's leaving the thing powered off for two years gathering dust while people ask about it every few months, sales metrics... ha ha

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

rafikki posted:

We got that stuff for our conference room that lets you flip a switch and the glass becomes opaque or transparent because blinds weren't cool enough I guess. Except they didn't want to pay for the actual glass so we got some lovely film, and they also didn't want to pay for a professional to install it so... yeah.

I remember some CSI Miami episode with glass like that, going :aaa: when I first saw it. I need that for my office door... (glass wall with a slide glass door basically)

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Wibla posted:

I remember some CSI Miami episode with glass like that, going :aaa: when I first saw it. I need that for my office door... (glass wall with a slide glass door basically)

It's actually really cool when it's the actual glass. This film probably works decently too, but when you have a couple of guys in the office installing it instead of a professional...

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Super Slash posted:

No that's leaving the thing powered off for two years gathering dust while people ask about it every few months, sales metrics... ha ha

That's pretty much what I'm seeing. I even set up dashboards to be used and nothing happened.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Today I learned that the best way to get new domain controllers replicating is just to be patient. Was trying to kick off manual replication of a new DC at a new site yesterday evening, slept on it, woke up to find everything was happy.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
92 tickets and counting :toot:

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

A Pinball Wizard posted:

92 tickets and counting :toot:

Is that tickets about the meeting you had to have, or just tickets you've dealt with today?

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

rafikki posted:

It's actually really cool when it's the actual glass. This film probably works decently too, but when you have a couple of guys in the office installing it instead of a professional...

We have that installed in our underutilized meeting room adjacent to the giant Ops center they paid to upgrade and then immediately abandoned when they pushed monitoring offshore.

The glass apparently can fail if left "clear" for too long, so the worrywart manager always freaks out if people have it transparent for any reason. For a while people just flipped it on to see how long it would take him to notice. :mmmhmm:

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Wibla posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5F9dgduJXPs

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
How do you handle talking to the micromanaging uninformed and often (spouting completely incorrect statements) kind of boss aside from avoiding them at all times whenever possible?

Literally makes poo poo up like saying we haven't documented anything, haven't validated for best practices etc when I'm literally opening and showing him the docs as he asks. He'll also make bad statements and change his view when ~10 people tell him he's full of poo poo, came from a small biz env and is in a big biz env. It gets so bad other people have to stick up for me just to get him to stfu, and his boss is waiting for (my boss) to fail. I've been apologized to by boss's boss multiple times. WTF to do? My only other thought is :yotj: which I'm working on.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

notwithoutmyanus posted:

How do you handle talking to the micromanaging uninformed and often (spouting completely incorrect statements) kind of boss aside from avoiding them at all times whenever possible?

Literally makes poo poo up like saying we haven't documented anything, haven't validated for best practices etc when I'm literally opening and showing him the docs as he asks. He'll also make bad statements and change his view when ~10 people tell him he's full of poo poo, came from a small biz env and is in a big biz env. It gets so bad other people have to stick up for me just to get him to stfu, and his boss is waiting for (my boss) to fail. I've been apologized to by boss's boss multiple times. WTF to do? My only other thought is :yotj: which I'm working on.

Next time his boss apologizes to you, ask if you can list them as a reference.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
A client's security team is freaking out about an "application" that is "responding to connections" over TCP Port 53.

This is my face when reading the e-mail chain where apparently nobody knows what port DNS runs on: :psyduck:

Shalhavet
Dec 10, 2010

This post is terrible
Doctor Rope
https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/5rmsw0/major_cisco_hardware_clock_issue_affecting/
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/web/clock-signal.html

quote:

TL;DR version:

Problem: The devices in question have faulty clock timing chips which seem to fail after ~ 18 months in service. When the timing chip fails, the device will not boot and is not recoverable.

My deepest condolences for you poor bastards that will have to deal with these or rely on people that will.

NCS1K-CNTLR
NCS5500 Line Cards
IR809/IR829
ISR4331, ISR4321, ISR4351
UCS-E120
ASA 5506, 5506W, 5506H, 5508, and 5516
Cisco ISA3000
N9K-C9504-FM-E/N9K-C9508-FM-E/N9K-X9732C-EX
MX 84
MS350 Series

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Yeah I already sent in our RMA. Two routers and an ASA. Good loving times.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

All the ISRs at our branch offices and god knows how many customers because we're still tallying them :suicide:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

pr0digal posted:

A client's security team is freaking out about an "application" that is "responding to connections" over TCP Port 53.

This is my face when reading the e-mail chain where apparently nobody knows what port DNS runs on: :psyduck:

MULTIPLE COMPUTERS ARE CONNECTING TO OUR TIMESERVER OVER PORT 123!!! IT'S SOME KIND OF BOTNET!!!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Kazinsal posted:

All the ISRs at our branch offices and god knows how many customers because we're still tallying them :suicide:

The best is that Cisco won't help pay for you having to replace your customers devices. Good luck giving them that bill.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

flosofl posted:

MULTIPLE COMPUTERS ARE CONNECTING TO OUR TIMESERVER OVER PORT 123!!! IT'S SOME KIND OF BOTNET!!!

See also: they freaked out about having 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 show up in the DNS servers list on the computers.

Like what the literal gently caress? Have you never heard of using them as fallback DNS servers?

pr0digal fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Feb 7, 2017

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Shalhavet posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/networking/comments/5rmsw0/major_cisco_hardware_clock_issue_affecting/

My deepest condolences for you poor bastards that will have to deal with these or rely on people that will.

NCS1K-CNTLR
NCS5500 Line Cards
IR809/IR829
UCS-E120
Cisco ISA3000
MX 84
MS350 Series

Our network guy who researched more let me know that the issue is probably with the whole Intel Atom C2000 series. So I guess be on the lookout for any devices with those.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Mr. Fix It posted:

Our network guy who researched more let me know that the issue is probably with the whole Intel Atom C2000 series. So I guess be on the lookout for any devices with those.

Yep. Includes all pfSense firewalls except the SG-1000, a whole whack of Synology NASes, the Dell PowerEdge FM120 microservers, and god knows what else.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

notwithoutmyanus posted:

It's cool, if you can stick it out till he's impeached you might get some kind of deal from Congress in exchange for testimony.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

pr0digal posted:

See also: they freaked out about having 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 show up in the DNS servers list on the computers.

Like what the literal gently caress? Have you never heard of using them as fallback DNS servers?

GOOGLE MIGHT STEAL COMPANY SECRETS

A real thing I heard once.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Kazinsal posted:

Yep. Includes all pfSense firewalls except the SG-1000, a whole whack of Synology NASes, the Dell PowerEdge FM120 microservers, and god knows what else.

gently caress me.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

uPen posted:

gently caress me.

Here's The Register's piece on it: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/02/06/cisco_intel_decline_to_link_product_warning_to_faulty_chip/

Juicy bit:

quote:

Many other technology vendors make products with Intel Atom C2000 processors, including Dell and Synology. The Register pinged Dell and Synology via email, and neither were immediately available for comment. People with Synology DS1815+ storage boxes have been reporting complete hardware failures; the DS1815+ is powered by an Intel Atom C2538.

Other vendors using Atom C2000 chips include Aaeon, HP, Infortrend, Lanner, NEC, Newisys, Netgate, Netgear, Quanta, Supermicro, and ZNYX Networks. The chipset is aimed at networking devices, storage systems, and microserver workloads. If you know of any affected or failed gear, please let us know.

and list of models:

quote:

C2308, C2338, C2350, C2358, C2508, C2518, C2530, C2538, C2550, C2558, C2718, C2730, C2738, C2750, and C2758.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Shalhavet posted:

NCS1K-CNTLR
NCS5500 Line Cards
IR809/IR829
UCS-E120
Cisco ISA3000
MX 84
MS350 Series
holy moly

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round
Blimey!
Just checked my various Cisco/Synology responsibilities and I -appear- to be in the clear.

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
I'm having card access readers put on all our buildings. These will be locked using magnets, per usual. Now that everything is installed, director doesn't want magnets.

Why? Because the magnets will warp the doors eventually and we will have to replace the doors.

Solution? Replace all the doors with push bar doors and replace the magnets with push bar switches.

We have to pay for the equipment they've already installed.

So rather than eventually probably have to replace a door after a decade, we've doubled the cost of the project and replaced the doors anyways.

How the actual gently caress has my life gotten to this point?

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

larchesdanrew posted:

I'm having card access readers put on all our buildings. These will be locked using magnets, per usual. Now that everything is installed, director doesn't want magnets.

Why? Because the magnets will warp the doors eventually and we will have to replace the doors.

Solution? Replace all the doors with push bar doors and replace the magnets with push bar switches.

We have to pay for the equipment they've already installed.

So rather than eventually probably have to replace a door after a decade, we've doubled the cost of the project and replaced the doors anyways.

How the actual gently caress has my life gotten to this point?

At least this is better than at the TV station where the engineer would have made door magnets out of repurposed hard drives and replacement doors by welding thirty seven old PC towers together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Larches, just document stupid decisions.

That way you can hold up the CYA documentation when it all goes tits up.

• Locked thread