Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Do they get more time to consider wagers for Daily Doubles than it looks like on the shows? How about Final Jeopardy wagers (considering other totals, and other day finishers for tournaments)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

rchandra posted:

Do they get more time to consider wagers for Daily Doubles than it looks like on the shows? How about Final Jeopardy wagers (considering other totals, and other day finishers for tournaments)?
To my knowledge, there's no time limit on wagering for a Daily Double at all, and it's edited down in post. One of the contestants in the thread will have to clarify on Final.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Vulture Culture posted:

To my knowledge, there's no time limit on wagering for a Daily Double at all, and it's edited down in post. One of the contestants in the thread will have to clarify on Final.

Yes. They say "take as long as you want." You also get paper and a sharpie to do your calculations for Final.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

mennoknight posted:

Yes. They say "take as long as you want." You also get paper and a sharpie to do your calculations for Final.
IIRC, Alex Jacob took a really long time on TOC Game #2 because he was adding up the values of all the remaining clues on the board before he came up with his wager.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Vulture Culture posted:

IIRC, Alex Jacob took a really long time on TOC Game #2 because he was adding up the values of all the remaining clues on the board before he came up with his wager.

Also he stalled on purpose several times to run out the clock when he had a big lead.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Stalled the actual playtime clock? It seems like they could just cut around that.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
He would stall while answering, I think.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah he took as long as possible to answer which is super annoying as a viewer.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

Don't hate the player, hate the game :mmmhmm:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
alex was the closest we've ever had to a truly dirty jeopardy player and I will always love him for it

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah Alex and his ill-fitting shirts owned.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

HookShot posted:

Yeah Alex and his ill-fitting shirts owned.

I bet his pants were more like capris too...

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I thought that Hades FJ was the easiest FJ I've seen in a long time and somehow all 3 got it wrong?? WTF? That was some basic rear end Greek mythology.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I'm awful at mythology. I guessed Neptune.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Dr Zaius posted:

I thought that Hades FJ was the easiest FJ I've seen in a long time and somehow all 3 got it wrong?? WTF? That was some basic rear end Greek mythology.

I knew the mythology but was completely confused by any association with ocean trenches, it made me wonder what weird fourth brother I was forgetting who sounded like abyssal.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
I just focused on Poseidon's brother and also a domain. Zeus or Hades. One of those makes sense. I started second guessing myself when Alex claimed it was a tough one. Maybe it's just me.

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)

Dr Zaius posted:

I just focused on Poseidon's brother and also a domain. Zeus or Hades. One of those makes sense. I started second guessing myself when Alex claimed it was a tough one. Maybe it's just me.

I was worried it would be some weird nomenclature variation on "hades" - like hadriaic zone, or something. Like "hades" felt too simple, or something. I think they all outthought themselves. RIP Lisa it was a good run.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
At least, with Lisa gone, Alex can stop being such a creep, mentioning her youth every episode.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

CPColin posted:

At least, with Lisa gone, Alex can stop being such a creep, mentioning her youth every episode.

That was actually cool and good.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Number Ten Cocks posted:

That was actually cool and good.
She's probably older than Arthur Chu was when he played -- if not, she's close -- and I don't remember it ever being mentioned once with him. It doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why it might annoy someone.

in_cahoots
Sep 12, 2011
This one wasn't so bad if you could ignore Marianas and everything related to Poseidon and just think about the underworld. I got it, but only in the space between the music ending and Alex giving the answer.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
I've heard of pelagic depths and stygian depths but never... Hadean? Or what? I seriously still don't get it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Unkempt posted:

I've heard of pelagic depths and stygian depths but never... Hadean? Or what? I seriously still don't get it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hadal_zone

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Huh. Who knew. (None of those three, apparently.)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Number Ten Cocks posted:

I knew the mythology but was completely confused by any association with ocean trenches, it made me wonder what weird fourth brother I was forgetting who sounded like abyssal.

this is exactly what I did -- immediately thought hades, then overthought the poo poo out of it and ended up thinking it would have something to do with the abyssal zone.

CPColin posted:

Alex can stop being such a creep

No he can't

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005
Kirsten is my bae

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Vulture Culture posted:

She's probably older than Arthur Chu was when he played -- if not, she's close -- and I don't remember it ever being mentioned once with him. It doesn't bother me personally, but I can see why it might annoy someone.

chu looked older cuz he's fat and couldn't iron his clothes.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Bubble Bobby posted:

Kirsten is my bae

Same until she explained what her graduate studies are in.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

hey guys i'm gonna be a national tv *can't take two minutes to iron a shirt in his hotel room*

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Bubble Bobby posted:

Kirsten is my bae

I went to undergrad with Kirsten and seeing people post gifs of her making funny faces of jeopardy is making me freak out irl

Bubble Bobby
Jan 28, 2005

Zikan posted:

I went to undergrad with Kirsten and seeing people post gifs of her making funny faces of jeopardy is making me freak out irl

She's my wife

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
She reminds me of Elena from the Uncharted games.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
(Catching up), I wondered during Thursday's final whether they would run out of time while trying to write all of "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and sure enough someone did :lol:

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

haveblue posted:

(Catching up), I wondered during Thursday's final whether they would run out of time while trying to write all of "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King" and sure enough someone did :lol:

That was a lame final for that exact reason.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

ken jennings made a tweet referencing goatse.

Dr Zaius
Jan 2, 2001

Smells Like Team Spirit
Ken Jennings is legitimately one of the funniest people I follow. A whole lot of people got upset at him for joking that you should have to solve a Tuesday New York Times crossword to vote.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Bubble Bobby posted:

She's my wife

Literally, or you're just being creepy?

I dig Kirstin, but I do wish she'd wager more aggressively.

3 Action Economist fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 13, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love how Kirstin looks utterly shocked every time she wins.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

I'm amazed that they tried to write the whole thing instead of just going with "Return of the King" which would certainly have been accepted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love how Kirstin looks utterly shocked every time she wins.

Probably close to her O face.