Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Favorite arc?
The Hunter Exam
Heaven's Arena
Yorknew City
Greed Island
The Chimera Ants
The 13th Hunter Chairman Election
View Results

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think gon understands ging's wanderlust

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He's not that beloved but he's still like one of the best hunters ever because he didn't get tied down raising an ugly child.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

EmmyOk posted:

He's not that beloved but he's still like one of the best hunters ever because he didn't get tied down raising an ugly child.

gon gets all the milfs i don't think he's ugly m8

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
wasnt ging planning on dragging gon around with him? then mito was like "no, thats loving crazy, leave the baby here and back away slowly".

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

ImpAtom posted:

HxH is genuinely good about making characters have actual flaws and not the flaw of I'm Too Nice or whatever. The characters are all largely hosed up weirdos and the probably morally strongest guy in the show is Leorio of all people.

I love how it introduced him as All About Money but actually he's a very good guy who just thinks money is useful for helping people

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Law Cheetah posted:

wasnt ging planning on dragging gon around with him? then mito was like "no, thats loving crazy, leave the baby here and back away slowly".

nah, he dropped off gon with mito but it was implied that he planned on visiting whenever he felt like it, entirely on his own terms. mito wasn't having none of that so she sued to get sole custody on the basis of ging being an irresponsible adventure hobo who had no intention of raising his own kid. whether he ever would have visited gon or not is unclear.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

God but the loving ant arc is brutal

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Shugojin posted:

God but the loving ant arc is brutal

It's episode 123 and I'm starting to think it may never end. Its glacial

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Eh

I mean I endured the literal sudden stops during it so uhhhhh despite the pacing anime binging has nothing on that

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Namtab posted:

It's episode 123 and I'm starting to think it may never end. Its glacial

it gets better once they go to north korea

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

TriffTshngo posted:

It portrays it as a positive trait until you actually meet the guy and a lecture hall full of hunters start jeering him and telling him to stop being such a shitheel and go talk to his kid.

I mean when Gon is talking with him on the tree and stuff, they portray Ging's motivations in a generally positive way, even if it was still irresponsible.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Stairmaster posted:

it gets better once they go to north korea

It didn't.

I'm loving this anime, it's one of the better shounens I've seen, but the pacing in chimera ant is dire.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

I mean when Gon is talking with him on the tree and stuff, they portray Ging's motivations in a generally positive way, even if it was still irresponsible.

everyone gon spoke to about ging tried to make him seem like less of a jerk because they weren't jerks themselves. "hey kid you know the father you've never met that you are searching for? no one likes that rear end in a top hat."

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Namtab posted:

It didn't.

I'm loving this anime, it's one of the better shounens I've seen, but the pacing in chimera ant is dire.

no not them, the other them

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Who else loves Ikalgo

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Blackheart posted:

Who else loves Ikalgo

everyone with taste

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Blackheart posted:

Who else loves Ikalgo

Ikalgo's good

but I prefer Meleoron :greencube:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
"To Ging the hunter I take off my hat; to Ging the man I put it back on again."

For real though, like a lot of people (I imagine), I like how Togashi bucks the trend of having the protagonist's absentee dad have a secretly good or important reason for being unavailable, instead making him an unapologetic deadbeat. He's accomplished great things, sure, but he's still a terrible parent and doesn't even try to pretend he's anything else.

EDIT: Also, yeah, the pacing of the Chimera Ant arc is weird. Could've easily cut its length by a good third.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Ging and Jecht are the best anime dads because they are actually the worst dads

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bad Seafood posted:

"To Ging the hunter I take off my hat; to Ging the man I put it back on again."

For real though, like a lot of people (I imagine), I like how Togashi bucks the trend of having the protagonist's absentee dad have a secretly good or important reason for being unavailable, instead making him an unapologetic deadbeat. He's accomplished great things, sure, but he's still a terrible parent and doesn't even try to pretend he's anything else.

EDIT: Also, yeah, the pacing of the Chimera Ant arc is weird. Could've easily cut its length by a good third.

Yeah, I really dislike the (not exclusively to Japan but certainly common there) 'noble absentee dad' thing and I was glad HxH just went "yep, nah, he's an rear end in a top hat."

logger
Jun 28, 2008

...and in what manner the Ancyent Marinere came back to his own Country.
Soiled Meat

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, I really dislike the (not exclusively to Japan but certainly common there) 'noble absentee dad' thing and I was glad HxH just went "yep, nah, he's an rear end in a top hat."

The dude told an ex-con it would be fine if he tried to kill his son. No amount of "You wouldn't be able to anyway, he's my son after all." could make up for how much of an rear end in a top hat that makes him.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Related to that, not only did he accurately predict that his son would indeed come after him, but he arranged for such a thing to be sabotaged if his son tried to bring someone with him. He knew his son would go through all of that trouble just to meet him, and deliberately made it a waste of time should he bring a friend because he's a goony gently caress like that.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

ImpAtom posted:

FMA's the only manga I've ever read that managed to hit that note right, in part because it doesn't try to diminish, downplay, or subvert Ed's entirely justified grudge over being abandoned. He and his brother work together with his dad for the sake of humanity, but Ed never lets him off the hook for just walking out of his life and Hohenheim acknowledges and accepts his son's resentment.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Eej posted:

Ging and Jecht are the best anime dads because they are actually the worst dads

No, Naruto is the worst dad because he managed to make his kid feel neglected despite the ability to perfectly clone himself to spend time with the little guy

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ging, the dad, driving force of the entire series, turning up for the plot in basically a roll-call scene was fantastic, as was immediately proceeding to gently caress with the hunter election for fun.

The same chapter also gave us Pariston so...best chapter?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Having no fanfar for Ging's first appearance was really good and cool. Pariston is wonderful too and I'm really looking forward to his and Ging's interactions.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also Jecht was a great dad and it turned out Tidus had a lovely mother who hated him.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

If your son was Tidus, you'd check out too.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
It ain't called Song of Tidus that's for fuckin sure.

Law Cheetah
Mar 3, 2012
jecht wasn't an abandoner, he was just a drunkard who gave tidus poo poo all the time. jecht was like tidus's rear end in a top hat stepdad except he was his actual dad. its not jechts fault he got worldnapped and had to turn into a monster

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Jecht is the best, which he confirms himself multiple times in the game.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If your son was Tidus, you'd check out too.

Tidus gets an unfairly bad rap in my opinion. I think he's perfectly fine and had a damned good excuse for being unhappy/angsty.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
As a dad, it's your job to be an rear end in a top hat to your son. That makes him more powerful. The sons job (only life goal) is to destroy their father.. this means the more powerful and jerkish the father, the stronger the son must become to face him. The absentee father becomes ever more powerful as things which are imagined are always scarier than things which are known. This is the "boy named sue" theory of parenting, and we can see that only through Jechts taunting of a 9 year old boy was Tidus able to gain the strength to destroy the "spiral of death" and create a new future for spiria.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Work Friend Keven posted:

As a dad, it's your job to be an rear end in a top hat to your son. That makes him more powerful. The sons job (only life goal) is to destroy their father.. this means the more powerful and jerkish the father, the stronger the son must become to face him. The absentee father becomes ever more powerful as things which are imagined are always scarier than things which are known. This is the "boy named sue" theory of parenting, and we can see that only through Jechts taunting of a 9 year old boy was Tidus able to gain the strength to destroy the "spiral of death" and create a new future for spiria.

Extremely correct.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I forgot how great the King's story arc of struggling frantically to sort the world from inside his turbospergy objectivist nonsense is :allears:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Work Friend Keven posted:

The sons job (only life goal) is to destroy their father.

Hey, worked for Full Metal Alchemist

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Gon has spent about 30 episodes glaring at the cat ant

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

the payoff for that is really good but yeah it's annoying as hell

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Namtab posted:

Gon has spent about 30 episodes glaring at the cat ant

he's powering up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Also him deciding to glare at the cat was a really good scene.