Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Uninstall Facebook (use Safari). Tell people to text message you. Problem solved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Friendly lets you get rid of the official Facebook and Instagram apps and lets you do Facebook Messenger from within the app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

For whatever reason my notifications aren't showing up as a badge icon on my Facebook app. I tried logging out on the app and then back in, turning them off and on again in the notifications part of settings.app, uninstalling/reinstalling the app, etc. Just doesn't seem to want to work.

I expect nothing less from this garbage app but I wonder why this is happening all of a sudden.

I just noticed this as well. Except if I launch Facebook and close it the badges show up.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

IUG posted:

Uninstall Facebook (use Safari). Tell people to text message you. Problem solved.

Ah yes group texts, those are good and work

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Ah yes group texts, those are good and work

i've used them for years and can confirm.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Never had a problem with group texts on any iPhone, regardless of whether they're iMessage or regular SMS. My wife's LG G4, ostensibly a top-of-the-line phone less than two years ago, regularly chokes on them to the point that it crashes her SMS app.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Congrats I guess. I still think messenger is one of the better messaging apps out there. You don't even need a FB account anymore.

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but my husband was using the Word app on his Ipad and was working on a file he created today. He says he opened and closed it several times today but a little while ago when he went to open it the file was gone, it isn't showing up on the Recent tab. Is there any way to recover the file?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Weedle posted:

Never had a problem with group texts on any iPhone, regardless of whether they're iMessage or regular SMS. My wife's LG G4, ostensibly a top-of-the-line phone less than two years ago, regularly chokes on them to the point that it crashes her SMS app.

lol the LG G4 was never a top of the line phone

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Guess no one in here has friends out of country.

I get things like WhatsApp exist but some are mere acquaintance wherein I wouldn't communicate with them via those means

Yeah I get I have a PC but tbh not having messenger installed isn't really an option regardless for the sake of seamless communication

bobfather posted:

Friendly lets you get rid of the official Facebook and Instagram apps and lets you do Facebook Messenger from within the app.

Notifications work for you? I'm trying to get used to the UI

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.
Anyone know of a good overcast (podcast) replacement? It used to be great but then it started running ads and last night it started filling up my entire phone for no reason. Nothing was even downloaded it just ate all of my phone's memory.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

particle9 posted:

Anyone know of a good overcast (podcast) replacement? It used to be great but then it started running ads and last night it started filling up my entire phone for no reason. Nothing was even downloaded it just ate all of my phone's memory.

That's odd.

I like Downcast since they had a big redesign a few months ago.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

particle9 posted:

Luckily I paid the one-off fee before Overcast moved to the subscription model - sounds like I made the right choice!

I've previously used Downcast and Pocket Casts and although it's been a year or two since I used them, they were both amazing at the time (Pocket Casts' visual layout was probably my favourite due to the colour co-ordination with podcast art). The only reason I switched was for the smart speed feature of Overcast, which I think some of the others may have now implemented?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Notifications work for you? I'm trying to get used to the UI

Sure, though maybe not absolutely reliably. The interface is just the mobile app, which I've always used on my phone ever since Facebook.app was first found to be a bad actor.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

FCKGW posted:

That's odd.

I've had weird issues with Downcast lately and not consistently. One podcast never remembers my position. It's a long one (Jocko) so that's frustrating. Also, some podcasts just stop seeing new episodes. Not sure if the author forgot about updating the non-Apple RSS feed or what but am slowly switching to the stock podcast app just to make sure things work at a minimum.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

TraderStav posted:

switching to the stock podcast app just to make sure things work
Things have changed a lot since I last looked at the stock app I guess.

particle9
Nov 14, 2004
In the guide to getting dumped, this guy helped me realize that with time it does get better. And yeah, he did get his custom title.

FCKGW posted:

That's odd.

Ok I figured this out maybe... well not the filling up my phones storage part, but the Ad part. I missed the memo where you had to go into your account and pick "restore purchases" to continue using the app as a premium user. It works like it did before now.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Are there any keyboards for iPad that have a number row? I just got my first iOS thing and this is the one thing that's really annoying me. It's for an iPad Mini 2 if it makes any difference.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The apple Bluetooth keyboard is quite nice.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

xzzy posted:

The apple Bluetooth keyboard is quite nice.

He's talking on-screen keyboards.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Opera Bitch posted:

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask but my husband was using the Word app on his Ipad and was working on a file he created today. He says he opened and closed it several times today but a little while ago when he went to open it the file was gone, it isn't showing up on the Recent tab. Is there any way to recover the file?
Check Office 365 on a computer? I have no idea. This response is useless.

Michael Scott posted:

lol the LG G4 was never a top of the line phone
It was absolutely LG's 2015 flagship phone and comparable to other contemporary Android manufacturers' phones (and I'm pretty sure the Nexus 5X was based on it). That it's a massive pile of poo poo is because it's an LG.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

PirateDentist posted:

Are there any keyboards for iPad that have a number row? I just got my first iOS thing and this is the one thing that's really annoying me. It's for an iPad Mini 2 if it makes any difference.

Did you do a search for number row? I found several lazily searching the appstore. None seem perfect but there they are.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
In GoodReader, what are the benefits of the iCloud or Downloads folders? I've turned them off but more just because I didn't understand them.

I like that app but it's a tad overwhelming sometimes.

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

rear end Catchcum posted:

In GoodReader, what are the benefits of the iCloud or Downloads folders? I've turned them off but more just because I didn't understand them.

I like that app but it's a tad overwhelming sometimes.

The iCloud folder is a folder located on your iCloud Drive. This folder can be accessed from other apps or the iCloud Drive browser. I'm pretty sure it can be accessed on OS X as well so you could drag stuff there and then access it from GoodReader.

I think the downloads folder is just a folder. Nothing really special about it that I know of.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Which password manager is the good one again

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
1pass

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Dashlane

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Weedle posted:

Keepass > 1password

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Any password manager is better than no password manager. Research their capabilities and your use-case and go from there.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

I use 1password, but if you can stomach a yearly subscription fee, I legit think Dashlane is really good.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Can I annotate my hair cut log with it or is it just for checking the weather in my comic book podcasts?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

LastPass :smug:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

tuyop posted:

LastPass :smug:

:negative:

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Endless Mike posted:

Any password manager is better than no password manager. Research their capabilities and your use-case and go from there.

No password manager is better than leaving your poo poo in the cloud but that's ~just not convenient~ for ios users.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Zigmidge posted:

No password manager is better than leaving your poo poo in the cloud but that's ~just not convenient~ for ios users.

That's inconvenient regardless.

I keep my encrypted vault on my iCloud Drive. I know I could manually sync them all up daily or weekly, but that's a huge pain in the rear end. Plus the risk of an AES256 encrypted vault being compromised doesn't really call for the effort required to keep a local version of my vault on all my devices in sync with each other. In my personal case, I've decided the cost of mitigation outweighs the risk involved.

Now if you're talking about using a 3rd party subscription with provider based vaults, like LastPass or the subscription version of 1Password, then yes I'm with you on that.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Zigmidge posted:

It's fairly unlikely that an attacker will infiltrate my DropBox, download my 1Password vault and then crack my 30+ character passphrase that uses a-z upper and lower, numbers, and non-dictionary words.

1Password can also sync just via WiFi (skipping the cloud argument entirely), and it isn't necessary to pay a single dollar to use it. The desktop apps can download and sync the database, which can then be used with the browser plugins without any restrictions, and the iOS app can add and sync unlimited items to a single vault for free.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Don't use lastpass

https://hackernoon.com/psa-lastpass-does-not-encrypt-everything-in-your-vault-8722d69b2032#.f1hmlih6m
https://twitter.com/luke_dot_js/status/799271787133403136?lang=en
https://theregister.co.uk/2017/01/10/autocomplete_a_novel_phishing_hole_for_chrome_safari_crims/
https://labs.detectify.com/2016/07/27/how-i-made-lastpass-give-me-all-your-passwords/
https://www.wired.com/2015/06/hack-brief-password-manager-lastpass-got-breached-hard/
https://www.cnet.com/news/lastpass-ceo-reveals-details-on-security-breach/
https://www.seancassidy.me/lostpass.html

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"Fairly unlikely" is actually a pretty lovely standard when it comes to computer security.

I got no issues using password managers, overall it's an improvement over using the same 8 characters on every single website one visits, but it's just a bandaid over a massive problem. I'll put my SA password in a vault, but financial poo poo or the email account I use for two factor? Fuuuuuuck no.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

xzzy posted:

"Fairly unlikely" is actually a pretty lovely standard when it comes to computer security.

I got no issues using password managers, overall it's an improvement over using the same 8 characters on every single website one visits, but it's just a bandaid over a massive problem. I'll put my SA password in a vault, but financial poo poo or the email account I use for two factor? Fuuuuuuck no.

I guess I was being facetious when I said fairly unlikely. A 30+ character password with 62 possible characters yields over 128 bits of entropy.

So if the attacker can test 100 trillion passwords a second, they'll get my password after about 400 trillion years.

Hashcat on modern hardware can do like 8 million guesses a second. I'll have to watch out for the attacker that can network the needed 13 million computers so they can get my Gmail password in 400 trillion years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

xzzy posted:

the email account I use for two factor?

Email for two factor? That sounds worse than using SMS for two factor.

Why aren't you using something that syncs up with an OTP generator for your 2 factor? Like the Google Authenticator or 1Password authenticator.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 7, 2017