Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Yeah I'm just addicted to jesus now. Gets me higher than heroin so yeah, safe to say I'm pumped about it. Hence all my posting.

Also I've been partying a lot and getting tons of attention from girls with my new found confidence! I promise I'm not manic again I'm just happy, is all.

But yeah I have been on a posting rampage.

I guess now that I know jesus is real... Instead of accepting it and blindly following I want to test the boundaries so to speak.

Curiosity killed the cat? Nawwwww

Edit: also it helps me not be a weirdo irl and talk about jesus all the time. Pushing your religious beliefs on others isn't cool, but it's so hard when you think about it so much. So it's therapeutic almost. Instead of being that annoying preachy guy I just come on the forums and preach here. Hate to say it but you guys mean less to me than my real life friends :(

Sorry not sorry

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I hear where you are coming from. It can be exhilarating to have an encounter with God.

If you are serious about testing the boundaries, as you say, you've made an important distinction between this place and the real world. You can use this place to literally practice your faith, but it is not a church and does not claim to be. Many of us are believers, but as far as I know none of us are performing any sacraments here. So if you are encountering Jesus outside of this thread, I exhort you to also find a church that earns your trust as well. There you will find no shortage of people who want to discuss the nature of God and Jesus Christ.

The boundaries of the story of Jesus can be deadly real, I'd say. It can be used to manipulate, harm, and abuse the self and others.

edit: I feel like I can be too severe, so I also want to add that being with Christians in person is very rad and totes liberating. I hung out with a handful again today, and it was great. I'm so thankful for that company.

Caufman fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Feb 6, 2017

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

Caufman posted:

The boundaries of the story of Jesus can be deadly real, I'd say. It can be used to manipulate, harm, and abuse the self and others.

edit: I feel like I can be too severe, so I also want to add that being with Christians in person is very rad and totes liberating. I hung out with a handful again today, and it was great. I'm so thankful for that company.

To the first part: I guess i mean the boundaries of the communication between myself and God. I'm bipolar 1 and my whole life I've had people telling me that I have a disease. Telling me I'm crazy, and that the things I've seen aren't real. I've had this deep desire to prove that it is real, because it's real to me. I saw it with my own two eyes. Yeah, my brain is different (or broken lol) but does that make my experiences any less than that of an average brained person? I'd argue no.

So Ive always wanted to prove it, is where I'm going with this.

Now that God talks to me, I almost feel like it is my purpose to prove his existence. I just want everyone to believe me!

Unfortunately only mentally ill people think God is talking to them. The world is full of doubt and skepticism. Faith truly is that. Faith.

To respond to the second part of your post: maybe I do need some new friends. I only hang out with sinners.

Never met any fun Christians though, sad to say. Most super devout Christians fear God, and therefore fear harmless sinning. Super devout Christians sit in church all day and do nothing in the world. That isn't what God wants.

God is loving God. He knows he's the poo poo. He doesn't need anyone to waste their life with his dick in their mouths. Go out there and live your life. Someone else said it best: "Ask forgiveness, not permission"

See here I go again, preaching. Wonder how long it will take before you guys get annoyed of me

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

To respond to the second part of your post: maybe I do need some new friends. I only hang out with sinners.

Never met any fun Christians though, sad to say. Most super devout Christians fear God, and therefore fear harmless sinning. Super devout Christians sit in church all day and do nothing in the world. That isn't what God wants.

Eh, just shop around until you find a church that has the ministerial opportunities that you want. My last church was all about helping the homeless; the one down the street owned their own rehab center. My current parish finds homes for refugees and migrant workers. Also we have a gigantic prison ministry for whatever reason. Christians are out there doing stuff but they don't advertise it very often.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
our prison ministry, as i said, is a dude who is in prison

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Well it's mostly because our diocese trains Mercedarians. Who, in addition to the usual monastic vows of obedience, poverty and chastity take a fourth vow to sacrifice their lives to prevent a Christian from losing his or her faith. Which is pretty metal.

So they get to practice in our prison ministry until they get shipped to Iraq or Kashmir.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

HEY GAIL posted:

our prison ministry, as i said, is a dude who is in prison

well that's convenient

fake edit: there's a Lutheran priest in Germany who literally spent 16 years in the slammer for marrying an 18yo girl and then pushing her off a cliff for the insurance money before finding God and getting ordained. I'm not sure how to feel about that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

well that's convenient

fake edit: there's a Lutheran priest in Germany who literally spent 16 years in the slammer for marrying an 18yo girl and then pushing her off a cliff for the insurance money before finding God and getting ordained. I'm not sure how to feel about that.
ours is just a russian who murdered a guy

such is life

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Ceciltron posted:

I read the link. No mention of orthodoxy. Just one mention of him joining a christian fraternity to study english.

All mentions of him being Christian get edited out every once in a while. Though there's usually a link to other articles about Orthodox people at the very bottom of the page, since they tend to get overlooked. Are they still there?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

HEY GAIL posted:

such is life

Amazing Grace was written by a former slave trader.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Oh yeah we sang an awesome hymn yesterday.

...which is in the hymnal that PCUSA uses but was actually written by a Catholic, who knew.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

The Phlegmatist posted:

Oh yeah we sang an awesome hymn yesterday.

...which is in the hymnal that PCUSA uses but was actually written by a Catholic, who knew.

I dig this.

Another Sunday favorite overheard at a Catholic Mass:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8AQFAih0rE

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

"Pedicabo ego vos et irrumabo."
i disagree with both of you vehemently but i'm also a curmudgeon

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
Do you have nightmares about the setting being the Mass of St. Ann

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Bel_Canto posted:

i disagree with both of you vehemently but i'm also a curmudgeon
mother
loving
:same:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Truly the Lord calls the curmudgeon and non-curmudgeon alike.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

To the first part: I guess i mean the boundaries of the communication between myself and God. I'm bipolar 1 and my whole life I've had people telling me that I have a disease. Telling me I'm crazy, and that the things I've seen aren't real. I've had this deep desire to prove that it is real, because it's real to me. I saw it with my own two eyes. Yeah, my brain is different (or broken lol) but does that make my experiences any less than that of an average brained person? I'd argue no.

So Ive always wanted to prove it, is where I'm going with this.

Now that God talks to me, I almost feel like it is my purpose to prove his existence. I just want everyone to believe me!

Unfortunately only mentally ill people think God is talking to them. The world is full of doubt and skepticism. Faith truly is that. Faith.

God is loving God. He knows he's the poo poo. He doesn't need anyone to waste their life with his dick in their mouths. Go out there and live your life. Someone else said it best: "Ask forgiveness, not permission"

See here I go again, preaching. Wonder how long it will take before you guys get annoyed of me

Harmless sinning is a logical impossibility. You might not immediately see the harm, but that's a consequence of your inability to perceive the future, not evidence that there's "harmless sinning."

You've never met any fun Christians given your own personal, subjective, perception of fun. Yes, go out there and live your life, but live it within the bounds of sobriety, respect, and love. "Go forth and sin no more." There are a number of historical heresies that I could readily compare to your attitude here, but I'm hesitant to bring them up for fear that it'll give you ideas.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

HEY GAIL posted:

such is life

Did the guy insult him to 1400s legal standards first?

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

CountFosco posted:

Harmless sinning is a logical impossibility. You might not immediately see the harm, but that's a consequence of your inability to perceive the future, not evidence that there's "harmless sinning."

You've never met any fun Christians given your own personal, subjective, perception of fun. Yes, go out there and live your life, but live it within the bounds of sobriety, respect, and love. "Go forth and sin no more." There are a number of historical heresies that I could readily compare to your attitude here, but I'm hesitant to bring them up for fear that it'll give you ideas.

If you don't mind, I think heresies are something I should educate myself on.

You're absolutely correct about there being no such thing as harmless sinning. Drinking alcohol harms my body. Being blunt with the truth may hurt a sensitive persons feelings. These are the 2 things I do a lot that aren't good. But I am aware of my own shortcomings.

I believe that we are born sinners. The devil literally owns the left side of your body, and Jesus (or whatever entity you pray to, Buddha, etc etc) own the right side of your body. (jesus owns the heart tho)

I believe we were purposely created to be flawed from the get go. Nobody is perfect, including me.

I had this issue when I first started up my last manic phase. I love to skateboard, but it's a dangerous hobby. Especially the reckless way I tend to skateboard. I was getting these messages that I have to give up what I love to follow God. Because it was dangerous. That really pissed me off, and ultimately made me want to rebel. It took a while before i realised that it was actually satan on my left shoulder giving me these messages, and he was trying to turn me against God.

God will never tell you what to do. It's your life, be as holy or as unholy as a person as you desire. Just know that in the end it is God who decides who gets to keep your soul. Satan has a lot of souls, so beware!

Especially remember the 7 deadly sins, and that fear belongs to satan, and love belongs to Jesus.

I LIKE COOKIE fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Feb 7, 2017

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

The Phlegmatist posted:

Well it's mostly because our diocese trains Mercedarians. Who, in addition to the usual monastic vows of obedience, poverty and chastity take a fourth vow to sacrifice their lives to prevent a Christian from losing his or her faith. Which is pretty metal.

So they get to practice in our prison ministry until they get shipped to Iraq or Kashmir.

Wow. How does that work out in practicality? Are they basically expected to minister in places that come with a pretty high chance of death? Do they have... difficulty finding recruits...?

(Long-time lurker finally posting in this kickin' rad thread. Thanks everyone!)

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

I LIKE COOKIE posted:

The devil literally owns the left side of your body, and Jesus (or whatever entity you pray to, Buddha, etc etc) own the right side of your body. (jesus owns the heart tho)

Is this based on anything, or just something you came up with?

I know you fully believe you're having mystical experiences, but a lot of your posts read like the pattern-seeking behavior I see when I get particularly manic or paranoid.

I've been reading a lot of mystic writings lately, and I think you could do well to do the same. When Margery Kempe began having her visions, she sought out Julian of Norwich for advice. It's important to cultivate a group of spiritual advisers to make sure you're doing okay. I think there's a really fine and dangerous line between worshiping God and worshiping yourself/your own mystical experience ("Ayeeeee I'm a prophet bitchezzzz").

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

mythomanic posted:

I know you fully believe you're having mystical experiences, but a lot of your posts read like the pattern-seeking behavior I see when I get particularly manic or paranoid.

I've been reading a lot of mystic writings lately, and I think you could do well to do the same. When Margery Kempe began having her visions, she sought out Julian of Norwich for advice. It's important to cultivate a group of spiritual advisers to make sure you're doing okay. I think there's a really fine and dangerous line between worshiping God and worshiping yourself/your own mystical experience ("Ayeeeee I'm a prophet bitchezzzz").

If St. John of the Cross isn't on your shortlist, I highly recommend him.

mythomanic
Aug 19, 2009

Thirteen Orphans posted:

If St. John of the Cross isn't on your shortlist, I highly recommend him.

Will do! I've mostly been reading them for my capstone paper this semester, looking at Julian of Norwich, Margery Kempe, Teresa de Avila, and Caterina dei Bologna. Checking out how claiming their bodies as conduits of divine knowledge allows them to upset hierarchical dualisms of god-man, man-woman, and mind-body. It's been super fascinating so far. Julian of Norwich is a seriously amazing lady. She both comforts me ("all shall be well") and provides these amazing, haunting images. I can't get this one out of my mind since I read it (I can't find the translated text online anywhere):

Julian of Norwich posted:

In all the tyme that He shewed this that I have seid
now, in ghostly sight I saw the bodyly sight lesting of the plentious bledeing of
the hede. The grete dropis of blode fel downe from under the garland like
pellots semand as it had cum out of the veynis, and in the comeing out it were
browne rede, for the blode was full thick, and in the spredeing abrode it were
bright rede, and whan it come to the browes, than it vanyshid; notwithstondying
the bleding continuid till many things were seene and understondyn. The faire-
hede and the livelyhede is like nothing but the same. The plenteoushede is like
to the dropys of water that fallen of the evys after a greate showre of reyne that
fall so thick that no man may numbre them with bodily witte; and for the round-
hede, it were like to the scale of heryng in the spreadeing on the forehead. These
three come to my mynde in the tyme: pellotts, for roundhede in the comynge out
of the blode; the scale of heryng, in the spreadeing in the forehede, for round-
hede; the dropys of evese, for the plentioushede inumerable. This shewing was
quick and lively and hidouse and dredfull, swete and lovely.

The blood of Christ clinging to his face like the scales of a herring. It's something else man. quick and lively and hideous and dreadful, sweet and lovely.

I LIKE COOKIE
Dec 12, 2010

mythomanic posted:

Everything is say is 100% made up. It all came from my head, and im bipolar 1. I dont take myself too seriously, don't worry.

I choose to believe my own crazy theories because it's fun for me. It feels like being a kid again, and I like it. I know from my posts in this thread I sound super loony but I'm normal in real life.

Don't get me wrong tho, I do believe it.

And who is anyone to tell me my beliefs are wrong? Freedom of religion and all that. I think following Christ should be fun. Super serious isn't really my style.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

mythomanic posted:

(I can't find the translated text online anywhere):
good. everyone who speaks modern english should be able to read middle english, including the dialect the Pearl dude wrote in. it's beautiful.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
middle english is for losers and frenchmen, old english or gtfo

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

middle english is for losers and frenchmen, old english or gtfo

look at this fuckboy who doesn't want five synonyms for the same drat thing, look at his wrong opinions

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

look at this fuckboy who doesn't want five synonyms for the same drat thing, look at his wrong opinions

who needs synonyms when you have KENNINGS

e: linked for the poor unfortunate souls who've never encountered this concept

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Feb 7, 2017

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

on this very subject, i found out today that there are solid, well-edited editions of the major english mystical texts (julian's "shewings" and "the cloud of unknowing") available on amazon for about $5 apiece. i highly recommend that interested parties take a look and take advantage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

if we spoke in kennings Smoking Crow would be WAR-GULL FIRE'S SON, Tuxedo Catfish would be LAWYER-SKIN RIVER-SAGE, Hey Gail would be HAIL, BREAKER OF TREES

i could go on

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

i could go on

:justpost:

Bel_Canto
Apr 23, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if we spoke in kennings Smoking Crow would be WAR-GULL FIRE'S SON, Tuxedo Catfish would be LAWYER-SKIN RIVER-SAGE, Hey Gail would be HAIL, BREAKER OF TREES

i could go on

anglo-saxon owns, kennings own, you should all read The Dream of the Rood, that is all

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

VERY WELL, HOLY MONTH'S RAID-GET*

* the Germanic calendar requires the occasional insertion of a leap month to keep everything tidy, so 13 = 13th month = December = Holy Month :black101:

it's a little awkward but it was either that or some kind of Golgotha reference and that didn't feel right

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
i like that as far as tuxedo catfish is concerned, old english is in all caps

content

quote:

New PRRI analysis, drawn from a data set of 40,509 interviews conducted throughout 2016 as part of PRRI’s American Values Atlas, reveals that most American religious groups support same-sex marriage and oppose religiously based service refusals.

Overall, a majority (58 percent) of Americans support allowing gay and lesbian couples to marry legally. Among religious groups, Unitarian/Universalists (94 percent), Buddhists (85 percent), Jews (73 percent), Hindus (67 percent), white mainline Protestants (63 percent), white Catholics (63 percent), Hispanic Catholics (62 percent), and Orthodox Christians (59 percent) all have majorities supporting same-sex marriage. Black Protestants (45 percent), Muslims (44 percent), and Hispanic Protestants (41 percent) are somewhat divided. Only three religious groups–Mormons (37 percent favor, 55 percent oppose), white evangelical Protestants (31 percent favor, 61 percent oppose), and Jehovah’s Witnesses (25 percent favor, 53 percent oppose)–show majority opposition for same-sex marriage. Combined, these three religious groups comprise only 19 percent of the general population.

There is near consensus among religious groups on the issue of religiously based service refusals. Roughly six in ten (61 percent) Americans oppose allowing a small business owner in their state to refuse to provide products or services to gay or lesbian people, if doing so violates their religious beliefs. That includes not only large majorities of groups who strongly support same-sex marriage, including Unitarian/Universalists (87 percent), Buddhists (76 percent), and Jewish Americans (72 percent), but also majorities of even major religious groups who are divided over or opposed to same-sex marriage.
http://www.prri.org/spotlight/religious-americans-same-sex-marriage-service-refusals/

edit: once again, orthodox opinions are smack in the middle of the American average
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ_y037BONk

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Feb 7, 2017

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

mythomanic posted:

It's important to cultivate a group of spiritual advisers to make sure you're doing okay. I think there's a really fine and dangerous line between worshiping God and worshiping yourself/your own mystical experience ("Ayeeeee I'm a prophet bitchezzzz").

Taiping.txt

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

HEY GAIL posted:

i like that as far as tuxedo catfish is concerned, old english is in all caps

do you have some evidence of case existing in futhorc that i don't

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

do you have some evidence of case existing in futhorc that i don't
does that mean early medieval latin should be in all lowercase
i have in my mind some surreal but touching hybrid of archy and mehabitel and st patrick's confessions

Caufman
May 7, 2007
Whale road as a kenning for the sea is about as good as language has gotten.

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Caufman posted:

Whale road as a kenning for the sea is about as good as language has gotten.

Wave-road, I thought. From beowulf, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
I'm the 6% of UUs who oppose same-sex marriage and wonder how I wandered into the wrong church.

Tree Bucket posted:

Wow. How does that work out in practicality? Are they basically expected to minister in places that come with a pretty high chance of death? Do they have... difficulty finding recruits...?

(Long-time lurker finally posting in this kickin' rad thread. Thanks everyone!)

Yeah they're tiny compared to the Jesuits or the Franciscans. You're basically warned during your formation into the Order of Mercy that you might die a horrible death, so it's not for everyone. Most of them in our diocese just work in prisons and rehab centers or do stuff like marital counseling, so it's not that bad. Not really in any danger of death there. On the other hand we're also sending some into Iraq this year to teach English and try to purchase Christian prisoners held by ISIS so that's actually "you might literally die" territory.

• Locked thread