Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The vicious ear grabbing tradition might prove problematic for a ferrengi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Baronjutter posted:

Don't kink shame.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Baronjutter posted:

That's how Quark gets roped into it

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard
*Walks into pink-draped room*

"Hullo" breathes the amalgamation of Kira's body and Quark's head

*look of shock and disgust quickly transforms into a grin*

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

http://www.darkhorizons.com/why-treks-ds9-voyager-will-never-be-hd/

The article contains a couple of 16 second clips of ds9 space battles that someone has taken the time to remaster, prophets bless us.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

popewiles posted:

http://www.darkhorizons.com/why-treks-ds9-voyager-will-never-be-hd/

The article contains a couple of 16 second clips of ds9 space battles that someone has taken the time to remaster, prophets bless us.

When will I get mah Voyagers in ultra HD??? I wanna see every follicle on that there Talaxian hairstyle.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
They probably would do Voyager first if at all because it had more "broad appeal" and then act surprised when nobody loving buys it, leaving DS9 to gather dust anyway

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tighclops posted:

They probably would do Voyager first if at all because it had more "broad appeal" and then act surprised when nobody loving buys it, leaving DS9 to gather dust anyway

Goddamn SyFy in Australia put Voyager on-air on weeknights first after a run of TNG's Remasters instead of DS9 :argh:. I'm still hoping they'll run DS9 afterwards, at least.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Tighclops posted:

But I thought they knew broads didnt like Star Track?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It speaks well of The Sisko that he was able to overlook Cassidy Yates' gigantic hair and unscrunched terrycloth scrunchie.

He probably had a vision of non-linear time where she eventually got that under control.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Ask me about where to find fucking in the Bible!
I've started binging DS9, 1st season is a bit of a slog, it's got some ok eps but I just hit the Ray O. Vantika.. one. It's not an awful episode but fuckin bashir! If I didnt' know how awesome he gets I'd be hating him right now, I think he's worse than s1 wesley.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Ray O. has three last names, not the one.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
fun fact in star trek online its explained that millions of copies of the doctor from voyager were put to work in mines across the universe for no apparent reason

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

corn in the bible posted:

fun fact in star trek online its explained that millions of copies of the doctor from voyager were put to work in mines across the universe for no apparent reason

They were the other EMH Mk.1's, repurposed for menial labour :eng101:. It actually comes up in one of the later seasons of Voyager.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

Why wouldn't you use disposable hard light people for cruel hard labor if the technology for the Mobile Holo Transmitter is so cheap, they build it on a spaceship out of scraps in the Delta Quadrant?

Post Scarcity must have its costs and victims.

Shazaminator
Oct 11, 2007
The power of Shazam compels you!

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Why wouldn't you use disposable hard light people for cruel hard labor if the technology for the Mobile Holo Transmitter is so cheap, they build it on a spaceship out of scraps in the Delta Quadrant?

Post Scarcity must have its costs and victims.

But, like, why would you have the computer simulating this holograms run however many separate instances of an independent entity using projected force fields simulating it's lifting rock or mining tools instead of just using the force fields to manipulate the tools and rock directly?

Why the pantomime of tons of sentient things doing menial labour instead of programming the computer to do everything directly, if everything a doctor-like hologram can do is done via force folds?

At this point it's like the Federation is deliberately simulating a slave labour force for the sake of it

Star Trek Online is even dumber when they have a giant prison manned by holographic security guards. Why create a holographic simulation of a guard pulling the holographic trigger of his holographic phaser instead of just creating the phaser without any of the in between bits

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Wasn't the mobile emitter some kind of super magic device that they couldn't make more of because :techno: ?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shazaminator posted:

But, like, why would you have the computer simulating this holograms run however many separate instances of an independent entity using projected force fields simulating it's lifting rock or mining tools instead of just using the force fields to manipulate the tools and rock directly?

Why the pantomime of tons of sentient things doing menial labour instead of programming the computer to do everything directly, if everything a doctor-like hologram can do is done via force folds?

At this point it's like the Federation is deliberately simulating a slave labour force for the sake of it

Because you already have several thousand pre-existing instances of a program designed for manipulating light and forcefields to interact with solid objects, and they're smart enough to not cause cave-ins. It's the Starfleet equivalent of game designers using invisible rabbits to control game elements; It's stupid, but it's simple and it works.

Biblical loving posted:

Wasn't the mobile emitter some kind of super magic device that they couldn't make more of because :techno: ?

It's from the 29th Century originally, and they never took the time to thoroughly analyze it or try to reproduce it at all.

Biblical Fucking
Nov 21, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's from the 29th Century originally, and they never took the time to thoroughly analyze it or try to reproduce it at all.

Haha they didn't even try? jfc torres

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

There is probably an Admiral jerking it to the free labor of holograms.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Biblical loving posted:

I mean, I could understand that. I'll just operate under the assumption that the fabrication tools to create it won't exist for at least 200 years. Works for me.

I did like how they don't even broach the issue of whatever powers it. Or how it isn't immediately confiscated when they get back. Or how it's able to copy/grab the Doc's program pretty much instantly.

The bigger problem is when it goes on the fritz and Torres grabs a hairpin to reset it or whatever.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

There is probably an Admiral jerking it to the free labor of holograms.

There's a hologram for that, too.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm sure the doctor was super hard to copy, except that one time they made a copy completely by accident and left it on another planet for 800 years and never realized it so that he could work with the holocaust deniers or whatever the gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Counterpoint;

Voyager endures multiple inspections from Nazi Devore officers, searching the ship from top to bottom at regular intervals for Der Juden Telepaths.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I like how they totally forget to hide Tuvok at the end of the episode. He's standing RIGHT THERE

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Biblical loving posted:

Pretty sure Torres would have trouble reverse-engineering 20th century technology, let alone 29th.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

"JAKOTAYYYY, I CANT FIGURE OUT THIS ANCIENT ONE WAY CONNECTOR WITH THE HYDRA LOGO ON IT! IT IS IMPOSSIBLE!*smashes MP3 Player and breaks USB cable*

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

i've seen 3 episodes of voyager and they were all about the crew getting very horny

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

i've seen 3 episodes of voyager and they were all about the crew getting very horny

there's booty in that nebula

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Gutcruncher posted:

I like how they totally forget to hide Tuvok at the end of the episode. He's standing RIGHT THERE

That would have required coming up with a solution to how they were able to keep Tuvok on Voyager while all the refugees escaped. Voyager writing. "gently caress it."

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

In the episode where Kira and Dukat go on a road trip to find Ziyal we learn that Bajor is so economically backwards and administrationally inept that their Minister for Commerce attends in-person job interviews for freighter captains hoping to run cargo around the local star system..

The ancient humanoids that seeded the galaxy with sentient life probably just farted on Bajor and flew off.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Their religion has ear readings that read your thetan levels done by weirdos and their pope holds more power than the elected government. I bet being Kai means your ear readings need to check out.

Bajor sounds like the social experiment of some higher energy beings,where they deliberately teach them all the wrong stuff.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Their religion has ear readings that read your thetan levels done by weirdos and their pope holds more power than the elected government. I bet being Kai means your ear readings need to check out.

Bajor sounds like the social experiment of some higher energy beings,where they deliberately teach them all the wrong stuff.

sounds like all organized religion :smug::smugbert::smugndar::smugdog::smugspike::fsmug::smugbird::smugdroid:

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

Is it just me or was Troi way hotter in the Starfleet uniforms than she was in her yoga suit or crazy lady dresses?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum
I think Troi's long teal dress is the most flattering of her outfits but it's still ridiculous and demeaning for her to be wearing it.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

The ratings generated by that extra half inch of right boob afforded by the teal dress paid for an awful lot of mercedes benzes in 90's LA. Please don't criticize it.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The purple and maroon jumpsuits are the worst because they look totally out of place on the bridge. At least the teal dress makes her look like some sort of diplomat or dignitary. But yes, she looks best in a starfleet uniform and that's what she should have been wearing from the start.

Edmund Sparkler
Jul 4, 2003
For twelve years, you have been asking: Who is John Galt? This is John Galt speaking. I am the man who loves his life. I am the man who does not sacrifice his love or his values. I am the man who has deprived you of victims and thus has destroyed your world, and if you wish to know why you are peris

At the start she wore that dress uniform and boots and it was p awesome.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Meredith Baxter-Burnout posted:

At the start she wore that dress uniform and boots and it was p awesome.

yeah :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The purple and maroon jumpsuits are the worst because they look totally out of place on the bridge. At least the teal dress makes her look like some sort of diplomat or dignitary. But yes, she looks best in a starfleet uniform and that's what she should have been wearing from the start.

To be fair, the whole character was out of place on the bridge. But she did look a lot better in the standard uniform, and it was cool to see her become a bridge officer after being stuck in command of the ship and was in way over her head.