Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Miss Tessmacher!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm a big fan of Alex becoming Ronan Dex.

Not sure why she popped in to work to talk to Kara in full battle spec.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

nooneofconsequence posted:

do The Thing blood test

I knew the White Martian was Winn when he didn't make an immediate reference to that :v:

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The Lego vanity cards were cute.

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012
I'm sure a lot of people read Kara's speech to Mon-El as the showrunners/higher ups at the CW trying to keep the pretty blonde female protagonist innocent (i.e. free of semen).

Personally, I prefer to think that the writers had Kara give that super lovely speech to Mon-El (in which she implied that she hates him both personally and because he's poor) after he poured his heart out to her in the last episode, in order to show that deep down, she's really a giant rear end in a top hat.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

teamcharlie posted:

I'm sure a lot of people read Kara's speech to Mon-El as the showrunners/higher ups at the CW trying to keep the pretty blonde female protagonist innocent (i.e. free of semen).

Personally, I prefer to think that the writers had Kara give that super lovely speech to Mon-El (in which she implied that she hates him both personally and because he's poor) after he poured his heart out to her in the last episode, in order to show that deep down, she's really a giant rear end in a top hat.

what the gently caress is this post

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DoctorWhat posted:

what the gently caress is this post

I legit don't know :confused:

Like yeah, Kara has generally been a Barry Allen-level shitbag to most of the people around her post-Invasion crossover, but that's just been spots of crappy writing on a show that is otherwise stellar so far this year.

If anything Kara hilariously shooting down every male that's made a pass at her this year is more about her being a strong, independent feminist character who doesn't need any romantic involvements to function as a person. You know, a positive thing?

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Feb 7, 2017

teamcharlie
Dec 9, 2012

nine-gear crow posted:

I legit don't know :confused:

Like yeah, Kara has generally been a Barry Allen-level shitbag to most of the people around her post-Invasion crossover, but that's just been spots of crappy writing on a show that is otherwise stellar so far this year.

If anything Kara hilariously shooting down every male that's made a pass at her this year is more about her being a strong, independent feminist character who doesn't need any romantic involvements to function as a person. You know, a positive thing?

Then why did Kara show up to Mon-El's workplace to poo poo on him? He said he was done pursuing her. Can't she just, y'know, not hang out with him anymore? He was open and honest to her and she took the opportunity to seek him out, take her (apparently free) drink, and insult him.

I thought about sympathizing with her and being like, 'Man, that's going to be hard to work through later...' then thought, 'Wait a second. Why the gently caress should Mon-El take that? Just because Kara's the protagonist? Nope. Not a good reason. Miss Tessmacher seems like a step up who will actually willingly go out with him and seems nice. Good for him!'

teamcharlie fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Feb 7, 2017

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
...Anyway..

I think this show's hitting its seasonal stride right about now; it was a bit...faffy?...earlier this season despite some occasional worthwhile moments, but the latest two episodes have both been really solid all around. I remember last season more or less hit its "smooth sailing" around the time it returned from winter break, as well.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I liked how the only Barenaked Ladies song they played was One Week, which is funny because Steven Page has been out of the band for a few years because he chose doing tons of blow with his girlfriend more important than the band so they kicked him out.

This was literally headline news in Canada.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how the only Barenaked Ladies song they played was One Week, which is funny because Steven Page has been out of the band for a few years because he chose doing tons of blow with his girlfriend more important than the band so they kicked him out.

This was literally headline news in Canada.

And that wasn't even a slow news day. The BNL are a national icon in Canada.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Rhyno posted:

Them and the Tragically Hip.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

nine-gear crow posted:

Avril Lavigne and Chad Kroger's engagement was covered on the level of Charles and Di.

Canada is weird.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Rhyno posted:

Yea I remember the whole press conference being broadcast and it being the lead stories that night and the next day.

I bet they have the budget for Alex to shoot her gun once per episode.

Kara did you not learn how to eat a cupcake? You rip the top off and flip it around and smoosh it to the bottom, cupcake sandwich! Not with a fork. Seriously.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

twistedmentat posted:

I liked how the only Barenaked Ladies song they played was One Week,

Of course the only BNL song they played was One Week. It's the only BNL song most people in the US know.

nine-gear crow posted:

Poor Gord Downie :smith:

Tree Dude
May 26, 2012

AND MY SONG IS...

twistedmentat posted:

Kara did you not learn how to eat a cupcake? You rip the top off and flip it around and smoosh it to the bottom, cupcake sandwich! Not with a fork. Seriously.

I don't think most of the planet is up on the cupcake sandwich technique. Also, I think they were sharing the cupcake which was the part I thought was weird about it.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

teamcharlie posted:

Then why did Kara show up to Mon-El's workplace to poo poo on him? He said he was done pursuing her. Can't she just, y'know, not hang out with him anymore? He was open and honest to her and she took the opportunity to seek him out, take her (apparently free) drink, and insult him.

I thought about sympathizing with her and being like, 'Man, that's going to be hard to work through later...' then thought, 'Wait a second. Why the gently caress should Mon-El take that? Just because Kara's the protagonist? Nope. Not a good reason. Miss Tessmacher seems like a step up who will actually willingly go out with him and seems nice. Good for him!'

Wow she got a free drink, what a bitch for not hopping on that dick.

Yer Burnt
Feb 26, 2007

howe_sam posted:

Of course the only BNL song they played was One Week. It's the only BNL song most people in the US know.

Well the Big Bang Theory theme song exists, but I guess it's not recognized as BNL.

Back to the episode. LOL that poor Asian Agent trapped at the DEO with them. He never appeared in an episode before and he spent two thirds of the episode without anyone mentioning his name despite the angry accusations. I was so sure he was gonna die.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Tree Dude posted:

I don't think most of the planet is up on the cupcake sandwich technique. Also, I think they were sharing the cupcake which was the part I thought was weird about it.

They were eating it with a fork.

Inkspot
Dec 3, 2013

I believe I have
an appointment.
Mr. Goongala?

Stunt Rock posted:

Wow she got a free drink, what a bitch for not hopping on that dick.

It's an alien bar. Club soda is actually the most expensive drink off the menu.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I had no idea bare naked ladies was even a real band.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

The Lord Bude posted:

Not only are they a real band, but they've even been accorded the highest possible honor in modern music...

Parodied by "Weird Al" Yankovic

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

howe_sam posted:

Not only are they a real band, but they've even been accorded the highest possible honor in modern music...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FIw8q6UsxI

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

howe_sam posted:

I only know who that is because of Galavant.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So Kevin Sorbo just all but confirmed that he and Terri Hatcher are playing the King and Queen of Daxam aka Mon-El's parents.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

The Lord Bude posted:

I only know who that is because of Galavant.

Boo this man.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

The Lord Bude posted:

My wife lived in Canada for about half a year in the very early 90s. She became a fan then and has been a fan ever since. Her favorite song is something about an old house or old apartment, I think.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Aleph Null posted:

My wife lived in Canada for about half a year in the very early 90s. She became a fan then and has been a fan ever since. Her favorite song is something about an old house or old apartment, I think.

That song only really makes sense if you've lived in Toronto, it's full of references to the city.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

twistedmentat posted:

That song only really makes sense if you've lived in Toronto, it's full of references to the city.

Thats where she was living so that makes perfect sense.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

The most important part of this article is that Kevin Sorbo was almost Superman in Lois and Clark

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

teamcharlie posted:

WHAT? WHAT?!

twistedmentat posted:

What? WHAT?!

Ok, content. Kara didn't want to date Mon El because thus far he's shown himself to largely be a selfish, drunken, womanizer. Its totally fine. Kara's just really bad at letting people down easily. And I kind of wish they had stuck with that instead of going "wait, he isn't an alcoholic? Well maybe you DO have feelings for him!"

I don't understand that cupcake sandwich thing at all though. That's blown my mind.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Ok, content. Kara didn't want to date Mon El because thus far he's shown himself to largely be a selfish, drunken, womanizer. Its totally fine. Kara's just really bad at letting people down easily. And I kind of wish they had stuck with that instead of going "wait, he isn't an alcoholic? Well maybe you DO have feelings for him!"

I don't understand that cupcake sandwich thing at all though. That's blown my mind.

It wasn't the alcoholic thing. It was that he was drinking the same thing Kara drinks. If Kara drank orange juice at the bar, he'd be drinking orange juice all the time now.
Everything he does (until Tessmacher) is because he wants Kara to like him. He wants to be a hero because of her, he tries to be less selfish because of her, now he's drinking club soda because of her.
He's puppy dog in love with her and she's only just now realizing it when (because it is the CW) he decides to bury his feelings and try to (or pretend to) move on.

Cupcake sandwich thing. The only place I've ever heard of that is on these very forums, never in real life.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Oh, I was being flip about Mon El. Obviously he's trying to be a better guy because he's crushing on Kara, and clearly he's using Kara as his role model for a good person. But like, Kara already knew Mon El was trying with the super heroing thing which made this week's story feel like "you're a womanizing drunk/actually he hasn't drank in a week/oh, ok, I like you." Which feels very silly and superficial.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

STAC Goat posted:

Oh, I was being flip about Mon El. Obviously he's trying to be a better guy because he's crushing on Kara, and clearly he's using Kara as his role model for a good person. But like, Kara already knew Mon El was trying with the super heroing thing which made this week's story feel like "you're a womanizing drunk/actually he hasn't drank in a week/oh, ok, I like you." Which feels very silly and superficial.

I think it was more that it shamed Kara. Not that she suddenly likes him but that she really doesn't know him at all because she is as dense as lead.

Edit: not as dense as Barry Allen, but still.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Didn't she just flat out say to her sister/fake sister that she was just trying to avoid getting hurt being in a relationship and was just hiding her feelings, and not some magical "HE'S DRINKING CLUB SODA WE MUST BANG" plot twist

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Again, I'm being flippant.

I mean, the story is that Kara liked Jimmy but broke up with him because she wanted to focus on being Supergirl but really she also was just protecting herself from heartbreak and she was doing the same with Mon El until Alex gave her "take a chance like I did" speech. It just didn't play for me because it was the silly bar scene at the beginning and then the cliched Alex talk at the end. It just felt very sloppy to me.

But its not a big thing. Just a kind of "CW romantic drama" thing that felt a little plugged in to me.

I was only using the bar thing as a way to be a dismissive jerk about it. I don't actually think Kara changed her feelings because of club soda.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Let's be real, they are only going to have Kara begin to have ~*feElings~* for Mon-El so that when they killsend him off to his home planet to die on the way that she can have character development.

The dude is probably going to die like he has in all the other CW shows he's been on despite being likable. His weakness is LEAD. That shoots out of guns!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Its a double edged sword. On one hand, poo poo luck that he landed on the planet that has totally weaponized his secret weakness. On the other hand its also really bad to humans so the planet also created kevlar. So its not all bad.

But yeah, I assume Mon El will find some intergalactic prince purpose by the end of the season or sacrifice himself heroically. I guess that's why I'm not invested in the romance angle even though I like Mon El and their chemistry fine.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
If Jimmy can decide to become a superhero because his camera got broken, Kara can change her feelings because of club soda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I really have no problem with Jimmy's decision to become Guardian since he's all but said "I'm really loving tired of being the helpless sidekick because I've been doing this way longer than you, Wynn." Its cool, Jimmy. We know this is about years of built up inferiority complex. That's kind of Batman's motivation too, he's just got a better origin story.