Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Well they got the typical expression correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

lmao I was gonna say the same thing

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
As someone who hopes to own a bird at some point, what's something you all learned from experience that you wish you had known before getting a bird?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Captain Log posted:

I'm going to guess from experience the parakeet wouldn't leave the cockatiel alone.

My parakeets loved screwing with Wandy.

yep

When we got done socializing honey we moved the budgies into their own cage because Skillet's wasn't big enough for three birds and both budgies liked to pull on his tail and it was really starting to piss him off, lol.

Keeping them separate for part of the day lets them get along a lot better as a group, they usually spend about a third of the day in Skillet's cage and for the most part nobody bickers and the budgies mostly leave Skillet's tail alone. We may make another try at housing them together after the next bird fair, as we plan on buying Skillet a much larger cage

Beelerzebub posted:

As someone who hopes to own a bird at some point, what's something you all learned from experience that you wish you had known before getting a bird?

how to not take a bird getting mad at you personally

you would think it's easy, but if you've had any other kind of pet, birds can be hard to wrap your head around initially. they are surprisingly complicated animals.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 7, 2017

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Beelerzebub posted:

How, to the despair of your loved ones and friends, you stop caring about poop.

If a dog pooped on me I would change my outfit. Bird poop warrants a wet wipe at most.

ETA: Two things. Not five minutes after posting this Pearl flew into our bedroom, greeted me joyfully, and I intercepted a poop from hitting the covers by using my hand.

Second, thanks (LAB?) for the Bird crazies tag!

greypearl fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 7, 2017

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

greypearl posted:

I intercepted a poop from hitting the covers by using my hand.

I don't know whether or not it's actually impressive, but that sounds pretty loving impressive.

Mirthless posted:

how to not take a bird getting mad at you personally

you would think it's easy, but if you've had any other kind of pet, birds can be hard to wrap your head around initially. they are surprisingly complicated animals.

What do they get mad about generally or are birds just temperamental?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Beelerzebub posted:

I don't know whether or not it's actually impressive, but that sounds pretty loving impressive.

You learn what the "poop dance" looks like and you can usually catch it as it drops.

E: didn't see the edit. Catching a poop in flight is impressive. Usually they drop a load just before takeoff or just after landing, which is considerably easier.

As for temperament, parrots are basically perpetual toddlers: they are clumsy walkers, always curious about their environment (when they aren't randomly terrified by it), scream for joy and fear and anger (and often impossible to tell which), are incredibly destructive, have an uncanny ability to get into trouble, and in the same moment will make you wonder whether you want to cuddle them or strangle them.

It's fun to watch them think and learn and interact with the world around them, including you, and sometimes you realize just how alien their birdy brain is when they get all pissy for no reason.

In other words, tantrums.

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 7, 2017

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Beelerzebub posted:

To expand a bit on what Mirthless said, birds (larger ones especially) are very emotionally complex and you need to always be aware of that, both for their well being and because they can and will attempt to emotionally manipulate you to get what they want.

You also need evaluate (basically on a case-by-case basis) which of your possessions you are comfortable having destroyed, because most things will end up looking like a toy to your bird at some point, and at that point it's slated for destruction if you allow it.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

The look is perfect

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

DarkHorse posted:

You learn what the "poop dance" looks like and you can usually catch it as it drops.

E: didn't see the edit. Catching a poop in flight is impressive. Usually they drop a load just before takeoff or just after landing, which is considerably easier.

As for temperament, parrots are basically perpetual toddlers: they are clumsy walkers, always curious about their environment (when they aren't randomly terrified by it), scream for joy and fear and anger (and often impossible to tell which), are incredibly destructive, have an uncanny ability to get into trouble, and in the same moment will make you wonder whether you want to cuddle them or strangle them.

It's fun to watch them think and learn and interact with the world around them, including you, and sometimes you realize just how alien their birdy brain is when they get all pissy for no reason.

In other words, tantrums.

I don't know why, but this made me more interested in buying a bird. Do you know if there are other types of birds have the same curiosity but are less prone to mood swings?

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

To expand a bit on what Mirthless said, birds (larger ones especially) are very emotionally complex and you need to always be aware of that, both for their well being and because they can and will attempt to emotionally manipulate you to get what they want.

You also need evaluate (basically on a case-by-case basis) which of your possessions you are comfortable having destroyed, because most things will end up looking like a toy to your bird at some point, and at that point it's slated for destruction if you allow it.

So let's say I hypothetically have a lot of gaming poo poo with lots of cords. I'm assuming I should invest in something in order to hide the cords? Also, what do you do about furniture and the like?

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009

Beelerzebub posted:

So let's say I hypothetically have a lot of gaming poo poo with lots of cords. I'm assuming I should invest in something in order to hide the cords? Also, what do you do about furniture and the like?

I can't say for sure, I have very little in the way of corded gaming equipment outside of my laptop, which Nicky doesn't seems to care for. Having them neatly bound might help? But for things you don't want destroyed, especially furniture and the like, you basically have to keep tabs on your bird and train it what is and isn't acceptable.

E: Distracting your bird with other toys also goes a long way.

Oldsrocket_27 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Feb 7, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

they can and will attempt to emotionally manipulate you to get what they want.

I feel like some emphasis should be put on this. Birds are capable of emotional blackmail. Amadeus drops his beak against my hand and starts a stream of kisses if I'm trying to put him away. He tries to play me against my boyfriend by yelling my name from the night cage after bf's put him to bed. He bitches and moans like I'm killing him when I do his nails and pops up bright as a daisy after.

GCCs aren't even particularly smart.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I feel like some emphasis should be put on this. Birds are capable of emotional blackmail. Amadeus drops his beak against my hand and starts a stream of kisses if I'm trying to put him away. He tries to play me against my boyfriend by yelling my name from the night cage after bf's put him to bed. He bitches and moans like I'm killing him when I do his nails and pops up bright as a daisy after.

GCCs aren't even particularly smart.

Oh drat, that's rough. I'm a massive sucker for guilt-tripping, so maybe I should stay away from birds...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Beelerzebub posted:

If you live alone and have troubled times, who will care for your bird? Literally consider anything classified as a parrot as a two year old that lives in a cage.

This is why, even though my father and I moved in together for mutual support, I won't consider getting a bird that will outlive me until I have a family structure in place to continue caring for him or her.

P. S. All the bird bill pictures! My God! I purposely don't just google "Parrots/Money" because it takes the fun out of experiences like this. Now I'm going to go waste some money on ebay...on some money...

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Is there a place I can order some of this currency?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is there a place I can order some of this currency?

Without checking anything I can say this - Ebay. In the world of coin and currency collecting about 80% of sellers are dishonest or selling things at ridiculous margins. Ebay keeps everyone honest, especially in the currency business, by having such a large sample size.

But I also believe, if it's a bill you can't easily find anywhere else overpaying is alright.

May I ask your location?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Best advice : http://ducksandclucks.com/blog/2013/06/14/want-a-pet-duck/ even though it is about ducks a lot of it applies.

Don't get any thing with parakeet in it's name (excluding budgie) if mess and cage space is a problem. The bigger the cage the less mess outside of the cage especially if you get ones with skirts. Conures like to throw food. Tidiest bird I have is Lucy, the blue winged Macaw. Lucy is a good bird who only goes to the toilet in one corner of the cage, does not bath in her water bowl and the only time food leaves her bowl is if she's found a tasty morsel and is hiding it from me. Is Lucy a good bird who wants this lovely nut? yes she is..

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

learnincurve posted:

Best advice : http://ducksandclucks.com/blog/2013/06/14/want-a-pet-duck/ even though it is about ducks a lot of it applies.

Don't get any thing with parakeet in it's name (excluding budgie) if mess and cage space is a problem. The bigger the cage the less mess outside of the cage especially if you get ones with skirts. Conures like to throw food. Tidiest bird I have is Lucy, the blue winged Macaw. Lucy is a good bird who only goes to the toilet in one corner of the cage, does not bath in her water bowl and the only time food leaves her bowl is if she's found a tasty morsel and is hiding it from me. Is Lucy a good bird who wants this lovely nut? yes she is..

Wanna give that bird a treat.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
A two year old with feathers who has a pair of wire cutters attached to their face and who swallowed a malfunctioning alarm clock

Inglonias
Mar 7, 2013

I WILL PUT THIS FLAG ON FREAKING EVERYTHING BECAUSE IT IS SYMBOLIC AS HELL SOMEHOW

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

A two year old with feathers who has a pair of wire cutters attached to their face and who swallowed a malfunctioning alarm clock

How can it be malfunctioning if it goes off?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Inglonias posted:

How can it be malfunctioning if it goes off?

Just like "stuck off" is a failure mode, "stuck on" is one too.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Beelerzebub posted:

-Really really check availability of avian vets/exotic vets and their experience level, and where you can go in emergencies

-Start saving cardboard boxes, toilet roll tubes, coffee stirring sticks, unused lolly sticks, etc to make cheap toys and save pieces of old toys to rehang/rethread

-Seed guards are excellent, also something (poster, clear plastic, whatever) behind cage to protect walls from messier birds is good

-They jerk off and it's pretty obvious, often creepy, often hilarious, but not many care sites mention anything about this and thus what to do/not to do to discourage behaviours and help hormones etc

-So much you'll read and remember and know about but it doesn't really hit you until you bring them home. Like holy poo poo, you're tied to this thing for 15+ years depending on species, it can be hard to find people to look after them when you can't-even vets aren't reliable-and as mentioned they absolutely have their own personalities and likes/dislikes. What they think about you isn't guaranteed-you could be the best, kindest owner in the world and still get a bird that hates you for no apparent reason, for that moment or day or week or...

-You're at high risk of falling in love with the little poo poo/s more than you ever thought possible and every time they frustrate you by flying out of reach when you're in a hurry and trying to put them away, or they've bitten the hell out of your hand because they've suddenly gained a hatred of the instant coffee jar, or attacked your head because you approached their nesting spot, they'll come up and softly headbutt your chin to be petted or cuddle into your hand and look up at you with the cutest loving look or yell at you about how you're a Good Boy and you'll forgive them all over again

-Bird owners are crazy :v:

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

a couple of the regular visitor birds (Gaston, Gaston's friend, Erasmus) are pretty chill in regards to the cats living in my residence. they will generally stare at them warily, but will happily proceed to eat food off the trampoline, with a few incidents of "walk to the edge and peer over to see if the cat is underneath again"

new visitor birds however are not familiar with this process, and the act of seeing a cat is enough to cause extremely loud and repetitive squawking until the cat leaves

greypearl
Jul 26, 2007
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

DarkHorse posted:

Hah, apologies for the confusion-- it was not mid-flight. In fact, Pearl's flight into darkness was much more impressive than my poop-handling skills. She's expanding her skill set recently. Usually when she wants my attention she'll fly to the floor and then walk around and get into trouble. Last week she attempted to land on my arm. Unfortunately my arm was at that time at a 45 degree angle, so she skated off it and ended up on the sofa.

To make up for deceiving everyone :derptiel: here's a video of a poor innocent african grey being tortured by the dreaded jingly toy: http://streamable.com/1r93i

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Beelerzebub posted:

Sometimes they are just adorably ornery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=26Re1HQqFLc

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Well Eric is a tiny feathered demon. I don't think I've seen a bird with more attitude than him

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
Eric loves beer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCgd2kv2TSI

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Beelerzebub posted:

Oh drat, that's rough. I'm a massive sucker for guilt-tripping, so maybe I should stay away from birds...

If you're getting a new, baby birb, I also think it's important to know that those first few weeks are some of the hardest. Finding a reliable breeder can be tough and all of them seem to have websites that haven't changed since Geocities ruled the internet, if they have websites at all. They may or may not have the kind of bird that you want available, and even if they do, there's probably going to be a wait.

Then, your bird is thrown into a terrifying and unfamiliar world. Usually, the bird is absolutely terrified of you, sometimes to the point where s/he won't even eat while you're looking for awhile. It's one of the most expensive times because you have to pick up a cage and toys and order your first big rounds of pellets and seeds, plus a carrying case, plus an early vet visit, probably. It's time consuming, because you've got to make your first batch of vegetable cubes or whatever you're feeding the bird as regular meals. It takes so much effort to make that first, initial bond, that even after making that bond, the early first few cries for attention are really hard to ignore, because you can feel worried that you're going to break the bond. We had to force-feed Yoshi some medicine for two or three months after his first vet visit and like, we had to do it, it medicine, but it always left us feeling pretty awful for a few minutes, and worried that we were ruining the trust we'd built up with him (it wasn't - he'd be grumpy for ten minutes and then come out and seek attention like nothing had happened).

After that it gets easier, even if they do turn into a weird mix of moody teen and tantrum toddler.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Draw me like one of your French hens

https://twitter.com/ahiru589/status/828430984630587392

e: T I M E F O R H O P

https://twitter.com/kirayusa/status/826906223949791233

CROWS EVERYWHERE fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Feb 8, 2017

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

First picture I have now stolen. Thank you.

Second video - What the hell are those? At first glance I thought Eclectus but the coloration is all wrong.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

Captain Log posted:

First picture I have now stolen. Thank you.

Second video - What the hell are those? At first glance I thought Eclectus but the coloration is all wrong.

Some species of lorikeet/lory, I think. Can't work out exactly which one.

edit: red-breasted black-capped lory, maybe?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
My go to recommendation for complete novices are a few bengalise finch (not zebra not zebra not zebra), has to be two or more because you can't keep a single finch. If you live in an apartment without noise issues then canaries are another easy option (trust me, a single male canary can be louder than a sun conure). Neither finches nor canaries live for a long long time but you can bond with them if you work at it. Budgies are surprisingly high maintenance especially if they are on their own, small birds but all the neediness of a conure.

Ooh Captain log, I know you love your potatoes but have you thought about bengalise finches? If your cage bars are thin enough you could fit 4-6 of them in the cage you have. You can train them to do the Snow White thing and have them land on your hand to feed and your dad may enjoy sitting there and watching them like interactive TV. He might even get into breeding them.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

learnincurve posted:

My go to recommendation for complete novices are a few bengalise finch (not zebra not zebra not zebra), has to be two or more because you can't keep a single finch. If you live in an apartment without noise issues then canaries are another easy option (trust me, a single male canary can be louder than a sun conure). Neither finches nor canaries live for a long long time but you can bond with them if you work at it. Budgies are surprisingly high maintenance especially if they are on their own, small birds but all the neediness of a conure.

I'm currently living at home in college, but I'll probably end up getting an apartment once I graduate. If I live in an apartment with noise issues, what would be the best choice of bird for a complete novice?

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

That's not Titanic, that's Firefly.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Beelerzebub posted:

I'm currently living at home in college, but I'll probably end up getting an apartment once I graduate. If I live in an apartment with noise issues, what would be the best choice of bird for a complete novice?

Finches (not zebra) are very quiet and if you don't want to hand tame them then they entertain themselves, I can't stress enough that you should never keep a single finch though. Like any pet they need feeding/watering and cleaning out, downside is the life span, smaller the bird the shorter the life span is the general rule. But if you don't intend to replace them when they go it's an upside as you won't find yourself in full time work after college with a demanding bird that can live for over 90 years. :)

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I wonder how hard it would be to teach a caique a few bars of Phish's "Bouncing around the room."

NAME REDACTED
Dec 22, 2010

learnincurve posted:

Ooh Captain log, I know you love your potatoes but have you thought about bengalise finches? If your cage bars are thin enough you could fit 4-6 of them in the cage you have. You can train them to do the Snow White thing and have them land on your hand to feed and your dad may enjoy sitting there and watching them like interactive TV. He might even get into breeding them.

As a person who's considering owning finches when my life's settled down enough for it to be practical, do you mind if I ask why you're so definite about Bengalese over Zebra finches? This is the first I've heard on the matter.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Zebra finches only know one word and it's "beep" they say this word constantly from morning to night, times that by the number of Zebra finches and it can drive you completely up the wall. I believe Americans call bengalese finches society finches.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuJJ7GbH_sM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Family of zebras https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAuMHvHI4Ho

BEEP BEEP BEEP

I always loved the sounds they made, but it is constant, squeaky, and perfectly timed to cover up important dialogue in TV shows