Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Spiderfist Island posted:

Wiki says that Ceuta and Melilla right now are pretty much 50/50 Iberian/Maghreb Berber demographically, so in terms of ethnically-based national claims to the city it's still borderline either way. Besides, Goa and Macau were Portuguese for centuries, but they're parts of India and China respectively now and don't have much of a "Portuguese" identity today.

I've never been to Goa, but I've spent a lot of time in Macau and it has a pretty strong Macanese identity that owes a ton to Portugal. Also Portuguese is still an official language there.

But yeah it's demographically mostly Chinese and has way stronger cultural ties to Hong Kong than to Portugal. Are Ceuta and Melilla more culturally tied to Morocco or Spain? I imagine being physically so close to mainland Spain makes a big difference compared to Macau being on the other side of the world from Portugal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Ceuta and Melilla are majority-Christian, for what it's worth. I'm not an expert on the subject but it seems like they have more in common with each other than with either Morocco or Spain.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I'm the decision to make green mean something on a satellite map where large parts will be green regardless

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

System Metternich posted:

I'm the decision to make green mean something on a satellite map where large parts will be green regardless

im the person who isn’t colourblind

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

central australia is a reddish orange

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

quite stretched out posted:

central australia is a reddish orange

Mad Max was a documentary

Also I just saw that there were apparently tons of “low concentration and intensity“ terrorist attacks in Germany in 2015, what? :psyduck:

e: I looked it up, the Global Terrorism Database actually records all attacks from 1970 onwards, so this is probably all RAF and various neo-nazis

System Metternich fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Feb 7, 2017

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Also I just saw that there were apparently tons of “low concentration and intensity“ terrorist attacks in Germany in 2015, what? :psyduck:

e: I looked it up, the Global Terrorism Database actually records all attacks from 1970 onwards, so this is probably all RAF and various neo-nazis

I was wondering what on earth happened in Ireland, London and Gothenburg in 2015. I guess that last one is meant to be Utøya, maybe?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

It's 2015 only, there were a couple of stabbings related to islamic extremism and a lot of nazi arson attacks.

Angepain posted:

I was wondering what on earth happened in Ireland, London and Gothenburg in 2015. I guess that last one is meant to be Utøya, maybe?

I don't know about the republic but there are still reasonably regular arson and beatings related to the troubles in the north and the occasional bombing attempt. I'm guessing London was this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_Leytonstone_tube_station_attack

e: I think the thing you should take away from it is that some places probably over identify things as terrorism (Germany) and some places massively under report it (China)

a pipe smoking dog fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 7, 2017

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Pakled posted:

Ceuta and Melilla are majority-Christian, for what it's worth. I'm not an expert on the subject but it seems like they have more in common with each other than with either Morocco or Spain.

Marocco seems to be one of these supercomplicate countries where you hava a mix of languages and cultures, where spanish is not even a important one but is on the mix.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Languages_of_Morocco

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

Jesus christ what is going on in Brazil. I knew it was bad but not that bad.

Its bad, but check out homicide rates. Honduras has a homicide rate more than triple that of Brazil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Count Roland posted:

Its bad, but check out homicide rates. Honduras has a homicide rate more than triple that of Brazil.

Yikes, sucks to be the only land route from South American drugs to North American cartels/consumers

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We really should work on getting coca to grow in more varied climates.

Or GMO coca-algae.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I think a large part of European terrorist attacks are people trying to burn refugee centers.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Vin Mariani, the internationally beloved mixture of red wine and cocaine from the late 1800's, had to put extra cocaine in the American version of the product. Americans just love their cocaine

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Guavanaut posted:

We really should work on getting coca to grow in more varied climates.

Or GMO coca-algae.

I heartily endorse GMO cocalgae as long as it can be grown in fish tanks and sold by enterprising old ladies at the farmers market.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Count Roland posted:

So I take it one person got murdered in Greenland, but since there are so few people total it threw the overall homicide rate into Gary Indiana territory?

e: Ahaha, checked the wiki article and that's exactly what happened, exactly one murder

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Powered Descent posted:

So I take it one person got murdered in Greenland, but since there are so few people total it threw the overall homicide rate into Gary Indiana territory?

e: Ahaha, checked the wiki article and that's exactly what happened, exactly one murder

That's for the year 2011 only. The 2010 murder rate was 16 per 100,000 people, which would mean about 9 people were killed out of the population that was 56,905 people that year.

And in 1985 the rate was 23 per 100,000 which meant 12 murders for a population then around 53,200.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

You are going to get a little weirdness with a small population but the huge social issues in Greenland are well documented and it was a big deal in Iceland when a fisher from Greenland killed a local woman.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

They should build a wall.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
isn't greenland supposed to have an insanely high suicide rate too

Buller
Nov 6, 2010
Worlds highest children suicide rate.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Buller posted:

Now there's something you probably better leave off of your tourism ad campaign.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The Norse should have colonized the whole thing, unfortunately the Little Ice Age was too much for them.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phlegmish posted:

The Norse should have colonized the whole thing, unfortunately the Little Ice Age was too much for them.

It's a pity the viking families attempting to colonize Greenland all belonged to the pineapple-on-pizza sect.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
To be frank, if I was born on Greenland I'd be the first person I'd want to kill right after my retarded ice-loving ancestors.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Buller posted:

Yeah. All Things Considered did an interesting piece on this. Basically because villages are small and isolated when one kid kills themself it has a ripple effect where other kids start to feel hopeless and kill themselves too. They're starting to try to send government social workers and counselors to schools quickly when a kid kills themself to help the other kids cope and hopefully minimize the rippling.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Yeah. All Things Considered did an interesting piece on this. Basically because villages are small and isolated when one kid kills themself it has a ripple effect where other kids start to feel hopeless and kill themselves too. They're starting to try to send government social workers and counselors to schools quickly when a kid kills themself to help the other kids cope and hopefully minimize the rippling.

That sounds like parts of northern Canada, where native kids have a high suicide rate, along with tons of drugs/alcohol/gas sniffing and the like.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

In a Crystal Head™ World

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

MEGA REGIONS.

Mapped by commute to major US cities.

http://discovery.dartmouth.edu/megaregions/

Pretty neat, mildly interactive.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Count Roland posted:

MEGA REGIONS.

How on earth is Connecticut a separate state from New York City?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Sacagawea

(none)

e; man Big Sky looks like the most gerrymandered state ever :v:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kainser posted:

Big Sky looks like the most gerrymandered state ever :v:

Steal some of Tahoe and Powell and it wouldn’t be so bad.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Canada's 2016 census was released, proving the oft-denied suspicion that Vancouver is being hollowed out by Chinese investment. For years we've been told we're racist if we believe the average house price of $1,470,000 was caused by external money rather than "everyone wants to live in The Best Place on Earth" or "low interest rates are allowing people - who make an average of less than $40,000 per year - to afford $3+ million houses on the west side."

Turns out population is moving in the opposite direction of housing prices, which is not the way it usually works...

On the bright (?) side, the cure is already in effect as a sudden 15% foreign buyer tax completely tanked the foreign investment market and now sales are slower than they were post-2008 world economic crisis.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Count Roland posted:

MEGA REGIONS.

I would live in a state called Zebulon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I assume it's named after Zebulon Pike, but it would be better if it was named after another, unknown Zebulon.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

About Vancouver, aren't there residential parts of London where essentially no one lives?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

About Vancouver, aren't there residential parts of London where essentially no one lives?

Elton John and Pierce Morgan and a few other twats I think.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I don't know a lot about London but from what I understand they're being targeted by Saudi and Russian investors in a similar way. It leads to more tax revenue initially which politicians love but ends up costing cities in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I don't know a lot about London but from what I understand they're being targeted by Saudi and Russian investors in a similar way. It leads to more tax revenue initially which politicians love but ends up costing cities in the end.

I thought the whole deal with London in particular was that there was some sort of tax you didn't need to pay on a residence if it wasn't your primary residence?