Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the man??
This poll is closed.
Goku 202 7.09%
Vegeta 279 9.79%
Krillin 208 7.30%
Piccolo or his nameks 212 7.44%
Gohan or Cool Gohan 135 4.74%
Yamcha 90 3.16%
Tien 120 4.21%
Muten Roshi 89 3.12%
Tao Pai Pai 71 2.49%
Frieza 69 2.42%
Cell or an android 86 3.02%
Buu 62 2.18%
Hercule "Mark" Satan 327 11.48%
Videl 90 3.16%
Bulma 104 3.65%
Yajirobe 99 3.47%
Ginyu or other Frieza squad guy 68 2.39%
King kai or another kai 53 1.86%
Chi-Chi 83 2.91%
Goten 43 1.51%
Trunks or Cool Trunks 112 3.93%
Bardock 48 1.68%
Other villain of DB,Z, or GT(please post about it!) 41 1.44%
Uub 42 1.47%
Oolong 90 3.16%
Zamasu 26 0.91%
Total: 1326 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

WickedHate posted:

Didn't they already learn that and make that a big deal while training for Cell?

Not quite. what they did with Super Saiyan was learn to minimize the impact of it, but they never fully controlled it. It's why Goku couldn't use Kaioken until SSB, because even at its most controlled SS was still pretty wild.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Not quite. what they did with Super Saiyan was learn to minimize the impact of it, but they never fully controlled it. It's why Goku couldn't use Kaioken until SSB, because even at its most controlled SS was still pretty wild.

Yeah, Whis explicitly has them train in base form for this

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

WickedHate posted:

Didn't they already learn that and make that a big deal while training for Cell?

They wasted Ki during the transformation and Goku's goal was to eliminate that but that's about that it. They (at least Goku) learned it a bit with him just using Kaioken on impact. But Whis went beyond that where you only eliminate all waste and only use ki when needed which would have the consequence of letting your guard down too early or being too slow in reacting if you're rusty.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

ImpAtom posted:

Kild posted:

They wasted Ki during the transformation and Goku's goal was to eliminate that but that's about that it. They (at least Goku) learned it a bit with him just using Kaioken on impact. But Whis went beyond that where you only eliminate all waste and only use ki when needed which would have the consequence of letting your guard down too early or being too slow in reacting if you're rusty.

I feel like this is splitting hairs and it still comes down to "okay, you trained to not waste energy, but now let's train to not waste energy even more". Like...it seems arbitrary. Not using kaioken after the Saiyan Saga was logical before because instead of turning on a force multiplier for several seconds at a time they could just do increase strength at precise moments, and using it while already ssj would just waste energy even faster. I mean what even is training anyway? Goku trains with different masters and learns different techniques, like okay, I can get that, but most of the time it seems like "training" is an abstract on par with hitting a punching bag in a video game enough times for your STR stat to go up several times.

Although the real reason why kiaoken never showed up again is because aside from SSJ and the Kamehameha, Toriyama reused techniques very rarely. Something cool about Dragon Ball Super is that it remembers poo poo like the Galick Gun exists. It feels like good fanfiction that really explores the world the author created.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ive been rewatching the new opening and ive come to the conclusion master roshi is going to die

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!

Stairmaster posted:

ive been rewatching the new opening and ive come to the conclusion master roshi is going to die

has anyone on that crew not died before?

StrifeHira posted:

On a completely different topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcu8s-X-EqA

Gift that keeps giving. :allears:

Does that dub just play Hikari No Willpower on a loop?

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Ammat The Ankh posted:

has anyone on that crew not died before?

Buu hasn't died!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aurora posted:

Buu hasn't died!

Buus innocence died when those men shot his dog

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Aurora posted:

Buu hasn't died!

He died when Freiza blew up the planet (presumably)

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Kild posted:

I mean Kid Buu survived blowing up the planet, and are we really gonna count time reversal deaths

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kild posted:

No way Buu would die from that. If Whis hadn't reversed time Frieza would have a pissed off and newly reformed Buu on his hands to fight.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I thought Frieza was killed by his destroying Earth in that (temporary) timeline.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Frieza can survive planet explosions too!!

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

maybe technology just evolved to the point where guns can hurt karatemen

there's certainly enough shenanigans to warrant that

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Technically they all were supposed to survive the explosion only to suffocate in space.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Blue Star posted:

I'm still not clear on what God ki is supposed to be??

Normal ki is like playing Texas Holdem and God ki is like playing Yugioh.

WickedHate posted:

Although the real reason why kiaoken never showed up again is because aside from SSJ and the Kamehameha, Toriyama reused techniques very rarely. Something cool about Dragon Ball Super is that it remembers poo poo like the Galick Gun exists. It feels like good fanfiction that really explores the world the author created.

For the longest time I didn't realize Galick Gun was something Vegeta actually used in the series. I thought the games just made it up, since he'd need a named move he could spam.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Feb 7, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Goku would get really into yu gi oh

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Aurora posted:

Frieza can survive planet explosions too!!

Frieza survived Namak blowing up when there was only half of him.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

"So each player starts with 4000 life points".
:goku: *thinking* "Zaw...sand?"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Kild posted:

Also another thing Whis taught them was to not waste Ki. So Goku probably has his ki suppressed whenever he's not fighting. Incidentally Trunks power level was 5 when he was suppressing it.

Krillin mastered this poo poo before Namek.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

CharlestheHammer posted:

Must be where Cell gets it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2Y0VqeKxyg

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

No he gets that from vegeta.
If you love long monologues about your inherent supremacy you like yugioh.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I like how Goku instantly gets beefy as gently caress as soon as he changes out of his farming clothes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aurora posted:

I mean Kid Buu survived blowing up the planet, and are we really gonna count time reversal deaths

you might as well since they're just as invalidated as being resurrected by shenron

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
New opening is pretty drat good

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Electric Phantasm posted:

Screencapped a few things from the OP.

So looking at the new OP (Its reallyyyy good) and these shots then seeing this theory on reddit ( https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/5sizwu ) have the same thoughts I do and this saga is looking good. I see it being pretty long, the previous arcs have moved pretty fast I think they slow down for this one.

RBX fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Feb 7, 2017

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

My money's on the high priest putting universe-destroying ideas into Zen-Oh's head and him being the one Goku's gotta punch at the end.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't punch whis' dad, that's rude

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I recently rewatched the first few episodes of Dragonball Z. Raditz literally thinks his scouter is malfunctioning because Goku, Piccolo and Gohan have their power level readings flunctuate wildly. It's a series that opens by both introducing the concept of a numerically quantifiable power level and rendering it questionable at best at the same time.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

YF-23 posted:

I recently rewatched the first few episodes of Dragonball Z. Raditz literally thinks his scouter is malfunctioning because Goku, Piccolo and Gohan have their power level readings flunctuate wildly. It's a series that opens by both introducing the concept of a numerically quantifiable power level and rendering it questionable at best at the same time.

People keep pointing this out but I wasn't arguing pro-scouters. I wasn't really arguing buttrock punchmen were objectively better than grandma voiced hicks either, just grappling with my own issues over the thing I sorta built my life on not being what I thought it was and/or wanted it to be, but that's beside the point. Scouters are wrong. I get it! I never said they weren't!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
So I got a question. Future Zeno blew up his universe completely, right? Where'd his pair of bodyguards come from, then; does he just poof them into existence?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

a cartoon duck posted:

My money's on the high priest putting universe-destroying ideas into Zen-Oh's head and him being the one Goku's gotta punch at the end.

I'll take that money.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

WickedHate posted:

People keep pointing this out but I wasn't arguing pro-scouters. I wasn't really arguing buttrock punchmen were objectively better than grandma voiced hicks either, just grappling with my own issues over the thing I sorta built my life on not being what I thought it was and/or wanted it to be, but that's beside the point. Scouters are wrong. I get it! I never said they weren't!

Of course, you said that already. The point is that you still enjoyed Dragonball even though you misunderstood it, and that's because Dragonball is an enjoyable show. And you can still enjoy Dragonball now that you understand it better, because it's still the same kind of enjoyable show.

You mentioned the end of the Goku Black/Zamasu arc, and I want to say about that; yeah, the ending sucked. It didn't need to have ended that way. But it ending that way doesn't invalidate everything before it, and for all of what happened in the last episode, Trunks getting a Spirit Bomb sword and finishing the fight by slicing Zamasu in half with it is still a thing that happened.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

a cartoon duck posted:

The introductory scene was the Zeno twins blowing up planets as a game for a reason.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Justin_Brett posted:

So I got a question. Future Zeno blew up his universe completely, right? Where'd his pair of bodyguards come from, then; does he just poof them into existence?

Proof of creationism in the Dragonball universe. Take that filthy darwinists!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
We don't know that anybody was on those planets :colbert:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

YF-23 posted:

You mentioned the end of the Goku Black/Zamasu arc, and I want to say about that; yeah, the ending sucked. It didn't need to have ended that way. But it ending that way doesn't invalidate everything before it, and for all of what happened in the last episode, Trunks getting a Spirit Bomb sword and finishing the fight by slicing Zamasu in half with it is still a thing that happened.

This is also a problem with me because I have like really bad OCD and when a story has stuff I don't like in it it's hard for me to enjoy "the good parts". It's like a house where some of the support beams are made of cardboard and I can't stop fixating on that. This is also why I've had problems dealing with the Buu saga when I got older, because it ping ponging between protagonists bugs the hell out of me.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

YF-23 posted:

Of course, you said that already. The point is that you still enjoyed Dragonball even though you misunderstood it, and that's because Dragonball is an enjoyable show. And you can still enjoy Dragonball now that you understand it better, because it's still the same kind of enjoyable show.

And also, now we see that the ending was "important" for the later plot because the BIG deal is and always was Zeno from the moment he was introduced, and having two of them is probably also going to be a big deal.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, I think as slightly unsatisfying as it was Zeno destroying Trunk's universe on a whim is important because it shows that Zeno isn't an adorable guy who is just talking, he's an adorable amoral god-creature who will end reality if he wants. It really explains that Beerus & co's fear of him isn't just wacky comedy but because they know he could AND would do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My dissatisfaction with Black Goku's conclusion is entirely wrapped up in how it handled Vegeto. He seriously should just not have showed up at all.

Though, then again, Trunks getting the whole Book of Job happy ending is also...dodgy.

• Locked thread