Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

I was at a restaurant last week and ordered a buttermilk fried chicken sandwich from the bar. I got it, and it was fried great on the outside, but slightly pink when I cut into it.

I told them it was undercooked, and the cook came out and said it's sous vide, and they bring it up to 160 degrees and it's safe to eat. After he left, the waitress said they always get complaints on the chicken and she took it back and got me something else.

I didn't mention I've cooked sous vide and have my own machine at home, but all the times I've cooked chicken sous vide, thighs or breast, I've never had them come out any tinge of pink, and I cook them to 150F.

Am I wrong here? All I can think is maybe he didn't hold them at temp long enough or he was going lower than 150 to cook them but told me 160 because that's the "safe temp".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
I cook chicken to 150 all the time and it's only ever pink near bone or tendon.

I've wondered about doing a breast and then breading and frying it. Wouldn't it take long enough to cook the coating that it would render the sous vide cook moot?

Seems like if they always get complaints about their chicken they're doing something wrong.

Psy890
Jan 18, 2005

spankmeister posted:

Electrolux gonna make cheap lovely versions of it.

Looking at their site, they don't make anything cheap. All their small appliances come with 5 year warranties. Anyone have experience with their products?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Psy890 posted:

Looking at their site, they don't make anything cheap. All their small appliances come with 5 year warranties. Anyone have experience with their products?

I had an Electrolux dishwasher. Really expensive, beautifully made, super quiet. Broke a lot. Hope this helps.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

sex swing from IKEA posted:

I was at a restaurant last week and ordered a buttermilk fried chicken sandwich from the bar. I got it, and it was fried great on the outside, but slightly pink when I cut into it.

I told them it was undercooked, and the cook came out and said it's sous vide, and they bring it up to 160 degrees and it's safe to eat. After he left, the waitress said they always get complaints on the chicken and she took it back and got me something else.

I didn't mention I've cooked sous vide and have my own machine at home, but all the times I've cooked chicken sous vide, thighs or breast, I've never had them come out any tinge of pink, and I cook them to 150F.

Am I wrong here? All I can think is maybe he didn't hold them at temp long enough or he was going lower than 150 to cook them but told me 160 because that's the "safe temp".

I sometimes parcook a thigh at 160 for an hour or so to finish later and it's red/pink as gently caress and still a little tough.

/e- You can also find the chicken's femoral and pull it out. It's pretty loving cool.

Submarine Sandpaper fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Feb 7, 2017

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

SubG posted:

If you like that kind of thing you might want to google oeufs en cocotte/eggs en cocotte. Bacon, eggs, and cheese is alright but it isn't even like a top ten example of the genre.

I'd also suggest just going ahead and getting some ramekins if you're doing this a lot. There's nothing inherently wrong with using jars, but ramekins aren't expensive and are actually designed for this sort of thing---so e.g. they usually have a better ratio of surface area to volume for this sort of thing than jars (in terms of ease of use as a serving vessel, as well as for prep if you're finishing under a broiler).

Thanks, that brings up a lot of cool ideas that would probably work with this method.

Friend
Aug 3, 2008

theres a will theres moe posted:

I cook chicken to 150 all the time and it's only ever pink near bone or tendon.

I've wondered about doing a breast and then breading and frying it. Wouldn't it take long enough to cook the coating that it would render the sous vide cook moot?

Seems like if they always get complaints about their chicken they're doing something wrong.

I did this once, it worked totally fine. Took it out of the oil when it was satisfyingly brown and crispy and didn't have to worry about whether or not the center had been cooked enough

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

Pretty much. His customers don't want what he's selling. If it's unappetizing it doesn't matter that it's safe to eat (assuming it is) or even that it might taste good if people hadn't been conditioned to reject pink chicken. He's unlikely to change any minds by surprising his customers with pink chicken and then huffing at them when they predictably have concerns.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Just a wild guess, but maybe he's not cooking them enough and the outside gets to 160 while the inside is at 140 to 150. Maybe he doesn't cook them long enough, or maybe he's overloading his sous vide cooker..

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Yeah, I wouldn't do it for something thin enough to put in a sandwich. That said, of the options available if you're working with a big piece of bone-in chicken that you want to fry and aren't necessarily going to be able to get fully up to temp in the pan – sous vide, parboil, or finish in the oven – I like sous vide the best.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

djfooboo posted:

Made some 1.5" ribeyes sous vide and wasn't all that impressed. Not much different than my normal method of hot rear end cast iron -> broil method. Does it shine more on cheaper steaks with less fat and more connective tissue?

Yea, it doesn't do a whole lot for good cuts other than make cooking them easier. I've heard great things about really long cook short ribs, but haven't gotten around to do them myself.
I've also been really into sausages and found that doing them at 150 has an amazing texture you can't get with other cooking methods.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

taqueso posted:

Thanks, that brings up a lot of cool ideas that would probably work with this method.
Cool. With that in mind, do yourself a solid and look up shakshuka.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Made some pork tenderloin last night at 133F + seared on a charcoal grill. Probably one of my favorite sous vide meats - it's insanely tender.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

snyprmag posted:

I've also been really into sausages

lol

(I'm 5)

snyprmag posted:

and found that doing them at 150 has an amazing texture you can't get with other cooking methods.

This is the truth. They're amazing.

I just received an RMA for my Anova PC that randomly turns off for no good reason. No loss of power, plenty of water, no impeller fuckery. This is one I got from the original Kickstarter, so I wonder if they're going to check it out and send me a refurb or something. Here goes!

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

If he was bringing the whole thing up to at least 150 it wouldn't be pink let alone 160. Besides it being safe to eat or not pink chicken is loving unappetizing. I don't care if it's safe to eat if I don't want to eat it.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

That isn't true :/ Especally if SV from frozen: http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
You food plebs need to get on with the time, chicken and pork tartares are all the rage nowadays. :smug:

Seriously though, we're not in the stone age anymore and of all threads, I would think this one would be the most receptive to "unconventional" cooking.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

That isn't true :/ Especally if SV from frozen: http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html

That explains a lot, actually -- the last few times I did sous vide thigh at 155F, it still ended up pink exactly like that, despite leaving it in for 4 hours the last time to try to compensate. I basically always freeze meat and fridge thaw it 1-2 days before.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Ok Anthony Bourdain. Why don't you toxx yourself with some chicken sashimi and then go on a century ride no toilets

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Jan posted:

You food plebs need to get on with the time, chicken and pork tartares are all the rage nowadays. :smug:

Seriously though, we're not in the stone age anymore and of all threads, I would think this one would be the most receptive to "unconventional" cooking.

That explains a lot, actually -- the last few times I did sous vide thigh at 155F, it still ended up pink exactly like that, despite leaving it in for 4 hours the last time to try to compensate. I basically always freeze meat and fridge thaw it 1-2 days before.

I'm receptive to unconventional cooking like sous vide, as I mentioned I have an Anova IC myself and I've been using it for over two years. However, I've never had chicken turn out pink which is what happened at the restaurant I was at. I didn't feel confident in the guys answer so I sent the food back, given my experience with sous vide.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

namaste faggots posted:

Ok Anthony Bourdain. Why don't you toxx yourself with some chicken sashimi and then go on a century ride no toilets
poo poo's pasteurized doucher. Eventually chicken you buy will turn out pink/red unless you cook it beyond the point of taste.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Midniter posted:

I just received an RMA for my Anova PC that randomly turns off for no good reason. No loss of power, plenty of water, no impeller fuckery. This is one I got from the original Kickstarter, so I wonder if they're going to check it out and send me a refurb or something. Here goes!

Same situation here. I didn't even have to send mine back, I just got a new one with WiFi.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
I have a sous vide demi, doesnt have a fancy rear end circulator but its been going good since 2010.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I've never had a bone-in chicken sandwich at a bar but maybe I'm the weird one.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Have you ever deboned a cut after defrosting it?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
No I debone before freezing and use the bones to make a stock that I also freeze so that might be the disconnect.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Ah I debone after freezing and can the stock.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

uPen posted:

I've never had a bone-in chicken sandwich at a bar but maybe I'm the weird one.

Depends on if they're suggesting that this leaking occurs before or during cooking.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

If I'm feeling lazy I can skip finishing step on a steak or whatever after SV and not lose anything but the malliard goodness, right? Still otherwise perfectly good and tasty meat?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
It'll look fairly gross.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
The sear is a big part of the flavor.

Spook
Feb 25, 2002

Silence of the MOTHERFUCKING LAMBS!!

SubG posted:

If you like that kind of thing you might want to google oeufs en cocotte/eggs en cocotte. Bacon, eggs, and cheese is alright but it isn't even like a top ten example of the genre.

I'd also suggest just going ahead and getting some ramekins if you're doing this a lot. There's nothing inherently wrong with using jars, but ramekins aren't expensive and are actually designed for this sort of thing---so e.g. they usually have a better ratio of surface area to volume for this sort of thing than jars (in terms of ease of use as a serving vessel, as well as for prep if you're finishing under a broiler).

Thanks for the tip on finding more recipes. Unless there is a good sealing solution for ramekins, I am going to stick with using jars, as it lets me batch cook ~5 mornings of breakfast at a time. I don't know if saran would be sufficient for that long.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Ciaphas posted:

If I'm feeling lazy I can skip finishing step on a steak or whatever after SV and not lose anything but the malliard goodness, right? Still otherwise perfectly good and tasty meat?

:psyduck: please no

You spent money and time already. Go the extra step, please!

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

It's perfectly edible, it'll just look gray and sad and won't have the taste and feel you get from the crust. It's not something I'd serve someone, but yeah, if you're feeling lazy, it'll be fine. When I first got the Anova, I did a two week experiment with five boneless skinless chicken breasts and five boneless pork chops, doing a SV on Sunday, then an ice bath, then bringing the individual bags to work each day for lunch. They weren't as good as they would have been with a finishing sear, and towards the end of the week something about osmosis and vacuum made the pre-seasoned pork taste really salty, but it wasn't bad. In the end, doing the SV and sear and using plastic containers to store them instead of fancy astronaut bags turned out to be the better option.

If you're curious about it, just try it and see what you think.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Yeah, but non-seard SV steak is the same as pink chicken: it may not harm or kill you, but it just looks all kinds of wrong. I'd rather not make steak at all than not sear it.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Spook posted:

Thanks for the tip on finding more recipes. Unless there is a good sealing solution for ramekins, I am going to stick with using jars, as it lets me batch cook ~5 mornings of breakfast at a time. I don't know if saran would be sufficient for that long.
Sufficient for what? If you put a cover over prepared food in the fridge about all it's going to buy you is limiting the amount of moisture loss, and maybe help prevent possible cross-contamination if things are crazy in your fridge. And plastic wrap will handle that poo poo fine. You can certainly get ramekins with lids, though.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks for the replies. This was cheap chuck I've had frozen for a while and I've been just plain exhausted the last few days, so the less effort the better, 's why I asked.

I went even lower effort and went to KFC on the way home instead :smith:

(ed) Plus I'm bloody tired of all the smoke and alarms from searing. The way my apartment is laid out I'd have to disconnect all but one of five smoke alarms to prevent that from going off, and even then the oven alarm itself goes off if I've really got the thing going.

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 8, 2017

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

SubG posted:

Sufficient for what? If you put a cover over prepared food in the fridge about all it's going to buy you is limiting the amount of moisture loss, and maybe help prevent possible cross-contamination if things are crazy in your fridge. And plastic wrap will handle that poo poo fine. You can certainly get ramekins with lids, though.

I think he means for actually cooking them sous vide. Like, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does one cook something sous vide in a ramekin?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Mikey Purp posted:

I think he means for actually cooking them sous vide. Like, sorry if this is a stupid question, but how does one cook something sous vide in a ramekin?
Same way you do it in a bain-marie: just keep the tops above the water level.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Some people make things way too complicated. Still laughing about this
https://imgur.com/gallery/axewH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Good job using silicone molds and not adding any cooking time there.