Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It is easy. They're the opposition. Oppose, don't enable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
you cannot oppose the will of the british people

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

JFairfax posted:

You can, and should, using trident

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Opposing the will of a plurality of the British people is literally the point of the Opposition.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
not sure if it is pissflaps

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pissflaps posted:

Roll back devolution within Great Britain and empower local authorities.

which level of local authority? empowering the county level makes sense.
but the Scottish / Welsh / London devolved parliaments / assemblies all take that role. what's the point of abolishing them just to replace with newly empowered counties covering much the same areas?

or if you mean the lower district / borough level of local authority, I don't think we should empower them to anywhere near the same level on things like income tax, control of the NHS, …

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

JFairfax posted:

not sure if it is pissflaps

I'm positive it is.

Cerv posted:

which level of local authority? empowering the county level makes sense.
but the Scottish / Welsh / London devolved parliaments / assemblies all take that role. what's the point of abolishing them just to replace with newly empowered counties covering much the same areas?

One might ask what the point of setting such assemblies up was when local authorities already fulfilled that role?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

It is easy. They're the opposition. Oppose, don't enable.

Okay, so Labour should oppose any of the measures the Tories are currently considering to make life a bit easier on those renting?

You can't say "They're in opposition, so their job is to oppose everything the government do", because then the government has no reason to reach across the hall to come to an agreement, or seek any wider input on anything, since the Opposition would just oppose it anyway, since it isn't being proposed by them.

There's no 100% right course of action to take that can be replicated over and over.
Countries are nuanced things which require some amount of consideration, including if what you might prefer is what your supporters consider to be beneficial.

e:

Pissflaps posted:

I'm positive it is.

One might ask what the point of setting such assemblies up was when local authorities already fulfilled that role?

He included why the devolved parliament/assemblies instead of local counties in the bit of his post you didn't quote

mehall fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 7, 2017

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
If the Tories come up with something that Labour thinks is a good idea then sure, support it.

Brexit is not one of those things. I didn't vote Labour to help take the UK out of the EU. Nobody did.

mehall posted:

He included why the devolved parliament/assemblies instead of local counties in the bit of his post you didn't quote

No he didn't. Scotland has had a separate NHS a lot longer than a devolved parliament.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Zephro posted:

The green belt is designed to stop housing being built wherever you want, and planning rules stop you (for instance) building a giant extension that blocks your neighbour's light.

A timely Guardian article:

quote:

"When the planning system began in 1947, we said the value of a planning permission should go to the public good,” he explains. “The ‘uplift’ from a field to a housing development was owned by the public. Now we’ve completely changed the model, whereby we almost grant planning permissions for free and the developer takes all the profit. Yes, they must make Section 106 payments and pay Community Infrastructure Levy, but we don’t try and capture as much of that land value uplift as we could.”

A big part of the problem is that developers continue to pay way over the odds for land, knowing that they will most likely be able to negotiate the planning obligations away.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

they didn't fulfil that role anymore.
the GLC had been abolished in 86 by Thatcher with nothing to replace it.
and Major abolished the 9 Scottish regional councils.
(I have no idea about Wales, and don't care to look it up)

1 Scottish assembly seems to work better now than 9. it's about the same total population as London for example so a good size for it.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

If the Tories come up with something that Labour thinks is a good idea then sure, support it.

Brexit is not one of those things. I didn't vote Labour to help take the UK out of the EU. Nobody did.

No he didn't. Scotland has had a separate NHS a lot longer than a devolved parliament.

First, Labour are a wide platform, who encourage everyone who works for a living to vote for them. There are plenty of people who meet that criteria who voted Leave when given the opportunity, so there's a reasonable argument to be made that if Labour had been in power and had the ability to shape the argument around a potential EU referendum, there would have been plenty of support for it from their supporters. Nobody voted for Labour to take the UK out of the EU because that wasn't a policy they advertised, but now that it's an option, a roughly even %age of labour voters would be appalled as pleased if Labour stopped Brexit, so it'c clearly not as simple as you state. (as usual.)

Secondly, surely the NHS Scotland should be managed/funded/governed by a level of representation of an equal size to the size of the NHS Scotland?
And before you state that does his mean every single NHS trust etc should have it's own parliament/assembly, firstly they do in the form of local counties. (There's a chance it's not 1:1 in terms of area covered, but it'll be close enough) and secondly, to counter the follow-up argument of "shouldn't the local counties just manage their local NHS bits", the answer is there are already NHS boards for relevant areas, such as NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, which roughly speaking matches the area covered by Glasgow City Council, plus renfrewshire, and other bits THe point is there's already smaller sub-divisions.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

English devolution generally involves neighbouring councils working together and traditionally they found the prospect of joining forces with the town or city next door even more offensive than just being ruled by London. There's been some progress on this in recent years though.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

If the electorate have said they want something, whether through a referendum or a GE the role of the Opposition isn't to stop that from happening, it's to scrutinise the way the government carries out the electorate's wishes to ensure the interests of the electorate. Unfortunately (a) our political system gives them very little actual power to carry out this role, and (b) the electorate will happily vote to get screwed as long as someone else (preferably foreign) is getting screwed harder.

Laradus
Feb 16, 2011

I was busy so didn't post it yesterday, but this reminds me of the polling they did in November.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2016/11/17/brexit-briefing/

Also please note in that that 68% of those polled think we need to go ahead and Brexit. It's interesting that Leave obviously are overwhelmingly happy to do so, but Remain voters are divided pretty evenly between those who feel that we should support the Government's follow through and those who want to ignore it.

E: It's the "Support of Brexit Referendum" option on the Crunchbox at the bottom if you want the graph.

Laradus fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Feb 7, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

mehall posted:

YouGov have specifically asked Labour voters what they want on Brexit, and the results are as spread as we've all been saying for months:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/828907418692284416

42% for 2nd Referendum vs. 37% against
45% for No Brexit vs. 35% against
28% for Hard Brexit vs. 35% against
36% for Soft Brexit vs. 31% against

Don't care or don't know at least 20% in each question, up to as much as 37% when talking about Hard Brexit.

So it turns out soft Brexit is the position which alienates the least Labour voters.

Or to put it another way, Pissflaps is wrong about literally everything.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

jabby posted:

So it turns out soft Brexit is the position which alienates the least Labour voters.

People are prepared to accept soft Brexit because it's better than labour's current approach which is to enable a hard Brexit.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Paxman posted:

English devolution generally involves neighbouring councils working together and traditionally they found the prospect of joining forces with the town or city next door even more offensive than just being ruled by London. There's been some progress on this in recent years though.

If the people of Glasgow, Inverness & Aberdeen can handle being "ruled" from Edinburgh, I reckon the folk of Middlesbrough & Durham should suck it up & accept being ruled from Newcastle.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think the NHS was ever under the control of the low level district councils. only referred to the NHS to say it's an example of something that should not be devolved that far.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

JFairfax posted:

this is something a crazy person would write.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

forkboy84 posted:

If the people of Glasgow, Inverness & Aberdeen can handle being "ruled" from Edinburgh, I reckon the folk of Middlesbrough & Durham should suck it up & accept being ruled from Newcastle.
Durham yes, but should Middlesbrough be ruled from Newcastle or York?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Cerv posted:

I don't think the NHS was ever under the control of the low level district councils. only referred to the NHS to say it's an example of something that should not be devolved that far.

I don't think it was either but the existence of a Scottish NHS before the parliament Holyrood shows that the latter is not essential for the former.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Guavanaut posted:

this poo poo right here is how the war of the roses 2 will start.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Guavanaut posted:

Newcastle, because York has to put up with their pisshead shiny suited day drinkers any time the races are on which frankly is burdensome enough.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Guavanaut posted:

Ask them which they'd prefer, then choose the other one.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Relax, bigots. There is already a Tees Valley specific devolution agreement. Nothing to do with York or Newcastle.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

jBrereton posted:

Newcastle, because York has to put up with their pisshead shiny suited day drinkers any time the races are on which frankly is burdensome enough.

You've given me nasty flashbacks to when I used to live on Micklegate. Race day was a loving nightmare.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
The main actual ruckus wrt York and Leeds council is who gets to be in charge of Harrogate, which both think they should be despite both being really dissimilar to HGate.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Relax, bigots. There is already a Tees Valley specific devolution agreement. Nothing to do with York or Newcastle.

Is it 10,000 gallons of napalm?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Baron Corbyn posted:

You've given me nasty flashbacks to when I used to live on Micklegate. Race day was a loving nightmare.
Yeah I used to live down the way from the Knavesmire myself.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Pppppoll news

https://twitter.com/MSmithsonPB/status/828919569058320384

Labour's Brexit Strategy sees them shooting up by 1% to just 15% behind the Tories. Looks like voting for it really is a vote winner after all?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
A land value tax (which is what this essentially is) is one of those ideas that hangs around Westminster like a ghost. Every couple of years someone points out that it would be a really good idea, and then nothing gets done.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Zephro posted:

A land value tax (which is what this essentially is) is one of those ideas that hangs around Westminster like a ghost. Every couple of years someone points out that it would be a really good idea, and then nothing gets done.
The problem is that after the first guy points out that it would be a good idea, a second guy points out that it would cost a huge amount of political capital to make the change, with no short term payoff.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

The problem is that after the first guy points out that it would be a good idea, a second guy points out that it would cost a huge amount of political capital to make the change, with no short term payoff.
Yes, pretty much. Like a lot of things with housing. That's also the reason why the Tories have finally admitted the housing market is hosed up beyond repair, but instead of doing something to build more houses and bring prices down, they've decided they'll make renting marginally less poo poo. Gotta avoid offending those elderly Tory-voting homeowners.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://www.politicshome.com/news/europe/eu-policy-agenda/brexit/news/83133/jeremy-corbyn-facing-shadow-cabinet-split-he-orders

Three line whip in favour of a50 at the third reading by the sound of it

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Magical.

At least Labour were able to extract all those concessions and maintain their stunning popularity in exchange.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

First Tory to speak after Sajid Javid complains that a Labour council built 6000 homes 'unnecessarily' on green belt land, and why wasn't the government able to stop them?

Quite a spectacular return to form.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Having slept on it I'd actually be all right with Corbyn whipping the other way as well particularly with the amendments failing. It's definitely a harder sell though.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

jabby posted:

Can we get this in the next OP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Sajid Javid also promising to protect green belt land but look 'more seriously at density' so that available land is used 'more efficiently'.

I've nothing against high density housing, but it's a total gently caress you to the poor to cram them into tiny flats when there's plenty of land available but rich people like looking at useless fields too much.

• Locked thread