Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Those shootouts are loving horrible guys. I'd rather see a coin toss then that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Wait. You guys actually think MLS 1.0 penalty shootouts are a good thing?

I had never actually seen them before, but why are they so bad?

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

Stars Stripes Freedom Jozy
(Jozy not pictured here)
We did them in high school and they're way more fun than penalties.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Those halfway penalties favour skilful attacking players too much imo. Normal penalties have more of a level playing field between all the players in a team. Anyone can take a penalty, even goalkeepers.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

blue footed boobie posted:

I had never actually seen them before, but why are they so bad?

After 120 minutes of a game you have two men running full speed at each other from 35 yards away in less than 7 seconds. It's a recipe for injury disaster as well as it's never as exciting as you might think because these guys are dead tired. Remember that it's still 1v1, so all the rest of the guys are going to be waiting, standing still for 5+ minutes and then running full tilt. If FIFA really cared about player safety, which they don't, this would be the worst possible way to end a game.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

After 120 minutes of a game you have two men running full speed at each other from 35 yards away in less than 7 seconds. It's a recipe for injury disaster as well as it's never as exciting as you might think because these guys are dead tired. Remember that it's still 1v1, so all the rest of the guys are going to be waiting, standing still for 5+ minutes and then running full tilt. If FIFA really cared about player safety, which they don't, this would be the worst possible way to end a game.

Who loving cares about "player safety"

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

This just makes it better hth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

The only thing better than John Terry slipping taking a penalty would be John Terry slipping and getting injured while taking an American-style penalty.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Was there ever a rule in place that stopped the keeper just charging forward and deliberately cleaning out the man every single time?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Keeper can't leave the penalty box. Dunno how they handled fouls, like if the keeper got rounded and just took the man down, but it would probably be a retake if I were a betting man.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Shoren posted:

Keeper can't leave the penalty box. Dunno how they handled fouls, like if the keeper got rounded and just took the man down, but it would probably be a retake if I were a betting man.

If the goalkeeper fouled the shooter, a regular penalty was awarded.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Was there ever a rule in place that stopped the keeper just charging forward and deliberately cleaning out the man every single time?

Worked pretty well for Harald Schumacher iirc

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
Start closer to the goal and give more time and its a perfect balance. The fundamental aim of football is to score past a goalkeeper in normal play, so this is surely the best way to determine a winner when the 120mins couldn't.
Also any infringement by the keeper means an automatic goal, anything by the taker means an automatic miss.
Sure, you could storm out of goal at full pace but as has been said you'd just get chipped every time.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I like penalty shootouts as they are right now. It's interesting to see how the players deal with the pressure.

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Brony Car posted:

I like penalty shootouts as they are right now. It's interesting to see how the players deal with the pressure.

The pressure is even stronger when you do shootouts, because you have more time to think, and more options.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
The only real danger from a collision is the keeper getting a fractured skull, so maybe they could just wear scrum caps?

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
IFAB are going to discuss whether a yellow card should include sin-binning the player as well. Would start at youth and amateur levels and work its way up to professional leagues in a few years.

Other things they're discussing are whether national associations should have more control over number of substitutes and whether or not to make it so only the captain can talk to the ref.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38824937

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

vyelkin posted:

IFAB are going to discuss whether a yellow card should include sin-binning the player as well. Would start at youth and amateur levels and work its way up to professional leagues in a few years.

Other things they're discussing are whether national associations should have more control over number of substitutes and whether or not to make it so only the captain can talk to the ref.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/38824937

Hrm yes give ef refs more power to gently caress over english teams for the benefit of the spanish and germans!

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Byolante posted:

Hrm yes give ef refs more power to gently caress over english teams for the benefit of the spanish and germans!

Agreed.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Byolante posted:

That isn't actually a bad thing op

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

Byolante posted:

Refereeing has been the one obstacle keeping the English from being an elite team. Conversely the Spanish and Germans would be poo poo if not for refereeing.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Suqit posted:

Refereeing has been the one obstacle keeping the English from being an elite team. Conversely the Spanish and Germans would be poo poo if not for refereeing.

Probably

Suqit
Apr 25, 2005

(Jozy not pictured here)

English are poo poo at football in comparison to the Spanish and Germans. Get over it.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Suqit posted:

English are poo poo at football in comparison to the Spanish and Germans. Get over it.

Checks out.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Suqit posted:

I seem to remember a certain referee decision benefiting England greatly in 1966...

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

Byolante posted:

Referees were the entire reason why England scored 2 goals in 3 group stage games in 2014, their worst showing since their inability to qualify in 1994.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 09:09 on Feb 6, 2017

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
I think that "only the captain speaks to the referee" idea might be good.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Brony Car posted:

I think that "only the captain speaks to the referee" idea might be good.

It's a must. It works so well in Rugby where refs speak to the players as if they were children and they take it.

https://youtu.be/_TpxEOQ0bVo

Sneaks McDevious fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Feb 7, 2017

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
It's unbearably loving smug in rugby and I'm not sure about anything that gives Mike Dean the opportunity to be even more pompous than he is already

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

peanut- posted:

It's unbearably loving smug in rugby and I'm not sure about anything that gives Mike Dean the opportunity to be even more pompous than he is already

Actually it owns. Footballers need to be put back in their place

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

It's great in rugby. Funny as hell to watch players brutalize then immediately drop into "yes sir, sorry sir" and walk off.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
rugby players are all posh boy public school twats who are used to Knowing Their Place and Respecting Their Betters or they'll get the birch from the form master and a jolly good buggering from the prefect

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

excuse me lady posted:

rugby players are all posh boy public school twats who are used to Knowing Their Place and Respecting Their Betters or they'll get the birch from the form master and a jolly good buggering from the prefect

*Faints to the ground after a hand is moved near them on the pitch.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I'd love to see a ref get stuck in to John Terry

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It helps that in rugby the refs have zero qualms about giving further penalties just moving ten metres down the field each time, for things that happen after the original penalty. That's not really a thing in football, you never see a ref move a free kick closer to the goal or give a penalty instead of a free kick for something that happened off the ball after a foul was called.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I think the captains only rule is much needed but only if it's accompanied by a strict 5-second clock where other people talking to the ref get a swift Yellow for coming up to the Ref.

Imagine how much more stamina the Italian and Mexican teams will have if they aren't sprinting to the ref after every whistle.

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

vyelkin posted:

It helps that in rugby the refs have zero qualms about giving further penalties just moving ten metres down the field each time, for things that happen after the original penalty. That's not really a thing in football, you never see a ref move a free kick closer to the goal or give a penalty instead of a free kick for something that happened off the ball after a foul was called.

there was a brief spell where they would bring the free kick forward but it seems to have died out, probably because a lot of the time the kicker prefers it further out to get it up and down over the wall

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Moving the wall back could work. A freekick with the wall 15 meters back would be pretty dangerous

If a 10 minute binning was an option we might see more refs punish players for crowding the ref or diving or other things like that.

Refs don't want to give a 1st yellow for something soft like that and then have to send someone off, and they absolutely don't like to give a 2nd yellow for something like crowding the ref.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

Refs don't want to give a 1st yellow for something soft like that and then have to send someone off, and they absolutely don't like to give a 2nd yellow for something like crowding the ref.

Yep, most refs are inconstant cowards who refuse to enforce the rules as they're written. That's the problem, not players talking to the refs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

It's a shame because they should. This happens in Italy a decent amount (not as much as it should probably) but it's happened a few times this season in big games even. I think it's helped domestically anyway.