Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Axiom Verge is remarkably good at obscuring what obstacles it's actually giving you to overcome. It's VERY blatantly Metroid-esque, but Metroid always kinda telegraphed that really obviously, every obstacle you were eventually going to find something to handle was pretty easily recognizable. Axiom Verge has some of those too, particularly the visually-glitchy stuff that the game also does amazingly, but a lot of your arsenal lets you deal with things you didn't even realize were barriers to you until the game gives you the ability to pass them. The moment you get the ability to teleport through thin walls you just start looking at the entire map differently.

Oh, and also it's got Missingno. in it. It's even an accurate representation, you spawn him and gain INFINITE POWER.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, fellow steam goon 'Untrustable' gifted me a copy of Tales of Zestiria, and so far it's been...okay? Like, it feels good to play but the story is such flat shonen nonsense that me and the wife have been riffing over it pretty much nonstop. It's really sad, especially coming from Vesperia with characters like Yuri and Flynn.

Still, fun game to play and I am not complaining.

Back to DS2 chat, for everything I don't like about the game, I do have to say that it and the DLCs paint probably the best interconnected story outside of Bloodborne. It really gives you a sense of just how many places rise, fall and rise again as part of the cycle of light and dark. I got that a bit in Prepare to Die, but so far the DS3 DLC doesn't really give me anything like that sort of feeling of finding the puzzle pieces.

Also, as far as bosses go, Fume Knight can go eat a darkwraith. Even after I found the shards to stop his health regen shenanigans he whooped me up one side of the arena and down the other.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, fellow steam goon 'Untrustable' gifted me a copy of Tales of Zestiria, and so far it's been...okay? Like, it feels good to play but the story is such flat shonen nonsense that me and the wife have been riffing over it pretty much nonstop. It's really sad, especially coming from Vesperia with characters like Yuri and Flynn.

Still, fun game to play and I am not complaining.

Zestiria is decidedly 'Not good' and you may enjoy Graces f or Beseria more since they're a bit more like a full game. I hear that the Zestiria anime is supposed to be very good though.

I think Level-5 unfucked Dragon Quest 8 a lot, Angelo has gotten so many skillpoints every level that I can't even max out any of his trees even though I have enough to do so for a good while now. He's got 167 skill points and it only takes 100 to max out a tree.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
By the way I have a question about God Eater 2 and I can't find a thread - What does Erina's skill Recruit 1/2 even do? I can't find any description in the game or online.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

RareAcumen posted:

I think Level-5 unfucked Dragon Quest 8 a lot, Angelo has gotten so many skillpoints every level that I can't even max out any of his trees even though I have enough to do so for a good while now. He's got 167 skill points and it only takes 100 to max out a tree.

Not sure if you're the "break the game over my knee" type, but in case you are, let me save you some time and frustration:

There are two hard-to-get items in the late/postgame. One is a ring that eliminates all enemy encounters. The other is a pair of shoes that grants the wearer experience for just walking around on the world map.

They do not work together. Cruel fuckin' trick :argh:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bloodborne update. I went to play it last night after the game but there was a 9 gig update and for some reason it was going to take 10 hours to download over a 200 megabit connection so I gave up and watched Lemony Snicket.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

BioEnchanted posted:

By the way I have a question about God Eater 2 and I can't find a thread - What does Erina's skill Recruit 1/2 even do? I can't find any description in the game or online.

Look at the controls on the skills menu. One lets you look at what any individual skill gives you with a two page spread, with what skills are in what cluster on one page and what individual skills do on the other. IIRC, the Recruit skill is a flat negative, witch makes her carry less stuff and be unable to guard.

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll

Push El Burrito posted:

Bloodborne update. I went to play it last night after the game but there was a 9 gig update and for some reason it was going to take 10 hours to download over a 200 megabit connection so I gave up and watched Lemony Snicket.

Bloodborne is my favorite FROM software title.

HookedOnChthonics
Dec 5, 2015

Profoundly dull

Eh, it's no Armored Core.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

Not sure if you're the "break the game over my knee" type, but in case you are, let me save you some time and frustration:

There are two hard-to-get items in the late/postgame. One is a ring that eliminates all enemy encounters. The other is a pair of shoes that grants the wearer experience for just walking around on the world map.

They do not work together. Cruel fuckin' trick :argh:

Well that's a shame, since I'm sure the Metal King Slime experience is going to drop off a cliff eventually.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think one of the stronger things in God Eater so far is the enemy design, I'm liking how they look and move. They each are very distinct from each other, although they aren't all animals. Sure you have dogs, gorillas and crocodiles, but you also have weird floating balloons with womens torsos that spit poison, and the fact that some enemies are inbetween these extremes, like the harpy things that make the first Special Boss Monster that controls the smaller monsters, makes the previous categories of animal-like and human-featured monsters feel like one group of creatures. Especially because they are apparently intended to be animals and people that were infected by some pathogen that their bracelet's supposedly protect them from, according to the Lisa thing in Glasgow.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

...Glasgow?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

One of the main characters has a backstory where he was based in Glasgow then tragedy happened when he was forced to kill a girl his friend liked due to her becoming infected with turn-into-a-monster disease and he was forced to transfer after the scandal. I didn't mind Lisa getting killed off because she went out with a hell of a fight, so it's not like she was fridged.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

That sounds p normal for Glasgow actually yeah

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Ori and the Blind Forest does something so many modern metroidvanias fail to do and actually gives you fun traversal mechanics to get around with. I've always found it so weird that people don't realize that's what makes the best examples of the genre so good!

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

flatluigi posted:

Ori and the Blind Forest does something so many modern metroidvanias fail to do and actually gives you fun traversal mechanics to get around with. I've always found it so weird that people don't realize that's what makes the best examples of the genre so good!

In at least some cases, I can only assume it's because they're taking more from Castlevania and less from Metroid. I much prefer the comparatively chill Metroid way of things where basic enemies aren't a constant hassle and the map just opens right up as you get upgrades, but that's sadly pretty uncommon.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Symphony of the Night had a bunch of fun ways to move around the map. I think it's just that people pick up on the 'get upgrades and unlock the map and backtrack a bunch' without realizing that backtracking's only fun if it's easier to get through instead of exactly the same.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

flatluigi posted:

Symphony of the Night had a bunch of fun ways to move around the map. I think it's just that people pick up on the 'get upgrades and unlock the map and backtrack a bunch' without realizing that backtracking's only fun if it's easier to get through instead of exactly the same.

Speaking of
Dawn of Sorrow is good (and bad: mudman soul :argh:) about this.
Once you are on the true ending track you get a soul (read as ability) that pretty much triples your speed and another that rockets you up at immense speeds and can be spammed infinitely, where before you only had a double jump and mp limited slow flight.

And the bad is you only have an area and a half to use them in if youre not going back to farm missing souls. And its generally a terrible idea to use them in there because you need your precise controls to avoid all the high damage monsters and hazards within.

Good traversal mechanics should be mandatory in metroidvanias.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

flatluigi posted:

My absolute favorite thing about Symphony will always be that Alucard's walk animation always made him look like he was dancing to the music because it synched up perfectly almost every time. Alucard for grooviest castlevania protagonist.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I appreciate that God of War 3 is making no apologies for Kratos being a colossal rear end in a top hat - he just happens to punch harder than all the other assholes in the game.

It will also never not crack me up that the gods represented are less dickish than they are in the "real" mythology.

poptart_fairy has a new favorite as of 15:18 on Feb 7, 2017

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Thanks to this thread I picked up a copy of Alpha Protocol today. Guy at the counter asked "so you know what you're in for with this" and I said "sure do" but on reflection I'm not sure we were referring to the same thing. It was only €5, too.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Spec pistols and stealth, then go with whatever dialogue options feel natural. Do an rear end in a top hat Douche run on your second or third playthroughs to see how much different characters hate you. :black101:

Douche Veteran run makes me giggle.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Nuebot posted:

My absolute favorite thing about Symphony will always be that Alucard's walk animation always made him look like he was dancing to the music because it synched up perfectly almost every time. Alucard for grooviest castlevania protagonist.

(in an extremely dhampir voice) This is a Playstation black disc.
*awesome music plays*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

poptart_fairy posted:

Spec pistols and stealth, then go with whatever dialogue options feel natural. Do an rear end in a top hat Douche run on your second or third playthroughs to see how much different characters hate you. :black101:

Douche Veteran run makes me giggle.

Also pick Recruit for your first playthrough. It gives you more points to spec into things and some unique dialogue iirc.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also pick Recruit for your first playthrough. It gives you more points to spec into things and some unique dialogue iirc.

Recruit starts you off with less (maybe zero?) skillpoints, but take the Recruit dialogue and you'll make up for it, yeah. Dorky newbie Thorton is cute anyway. :3:

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

I appreciate that God of War 3 is making no apologies for Kratos being a colossal rear end in a top hat - he just happens to punch harder than all the other assholes in the game.

It will also never not crack me up that the gods represented are less dickish than they are in the "real" mythology.

QTE button prompts that are located on the screen according to where they are on the gamepad was good too.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Pocket Billiards posted:

QTE button prompts that are located on the screen according to where they are on the gamepad was good too.

Speaking of QTEs used in nice ways, my favorite bit in Asura's Wrath is the final fight in the true ending DLC where the boss gets his own QTE prompts that are written in Sanskrit I think? And as he starts losing and the fight turns more and more against him, he starts missing prompts.

The God of War Kratos being an rear end in a top hat thing is my least favorite thing in that series because it totally overturns his cool and good Greek hero arc in the first game. He's a larger than life hero brought low by his own hubris and confronted with the fact that nothing will take away his responsibility for his crimes. Then in the sequels he learns nothing and starts acting like a big baby because the gods weren't nice to him.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Glagha posted:

Speaking of QTEs used in nice ways, my favorite bit in Asura's Wrath is the final fight in the true ending DLC where the boss gets his own QTE prompts that are written in Sanskrit I think? And as he starts losing and the fight turns more and more against him, he starts missing prompts.

The God of War Kratos being an rear end in a top hat thing is my least favorite thing in that series because it totally overturns his cool and good Greek hero arc in the first game. He's a larger than life hero brought low by his own hubris and confronted with the fact that nothing will take away his responsibility for his crimes. Then in the sequels he learns nothing and starts acting like a big baby because the gods weren't nice to him.

It's less petulance than you might think. Kratos was ready to die for his sins, he accepted what he did, he got his revenge and when told he would never be freed of the weight of his actions tried to take his own life.

Then that shitbag Athena lifted him from the ocean and told him they needed a replacement god of war. He was fully justified in everything he did to the lords and ladies of Olympus from that point on. Especially since the very first thing that happens in two is that Zeus the ever meddler blindsides him giving him another free tour of the underworld.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
GoW1 told a nice self-contained story that felt like it belonged in Greek mythology, with a setup that justified or at least explained Kratos's actions. If things had ended there it would have been perfect. To make it a sequel farm they broke his arc back open and made him into an ordinary rear end in a top hat who can't stop picking fights with gods.

Feonir posted:

Especially since the very first thing that happens in two is that Zeus the ever meddler blindsides him giving him another free tour of the underworld.

IIRC Zeus does this because Kratos is going around smashing random bits of Greece to stave off boredom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

haveblue posted:

IIRC Zeus does this because Kratos is going around smashing random bits of Greece to stave off boredom.

Yeah, Zeus and Athena both were like "Kratos, stop leading the Spartans in a murdefest" and he went "lol, no."

Jukebox Hero
Dec 27, 2007
stars in his eyes
To be fair, they made him the god of loving war.

What did they expect?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Jukebox Hero posted:

To be fair, they made him the god of loving war.

What did they expect?

Well, when all you have is a broadsword, every problem starts looking like a roman.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

Recruit starts you off with less (maybe zero?) skillpoints, but take the Recruit dialogue and you'll make up for it, yeah. Dorky newbie Thorton is cute anyway. :3:

You start down thirty but get ten for picking all recruit options at the greybox. It's good, but I don't think I'd recommend it for a first playthrough. Tech expert gets some dialogue options later on that mean you don't have to choose between two things, for example. Recruit is good for a second play through to get Veteran for a third, and if that sounds excessive, bear in mind AP is so reactive I found elements of the story I hadn't found before on my fifth goddamn playthrough.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Re: Alpha Protocol

Hacking still broken on keyboard and mouse? That put me right off it when it came out.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

NLJP posted:

Re: Alpha Protocol

Hacking still broken on keyboard and mouse? That put me right off it when it came out.

I've never had a problem hacking with kb+m. I actually find it really exciting to have to use both simultaneously to find the pattern so maybe I'm just weird. In what way was it broken?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I'm liking that the character stories in God Eater are actually useful, it gives good reason to do them, as either it gives you a new tool (if it is for an engineer), or it makes combat people better at combat. Also, Dark Emil was a really funny moment and it's a shame that it didn't change his dialog in battle to be "Trying to be a bastard and failing". Also some of the flaws have really funny resolutions, like Kanon who is always hitting her allies because of her terrible aim - she is relegated to Healing Bullet duty as if she's only going to be hitting her teammates, she may as well heal them instead of hurting them :P. That was fairly clever.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

jojoinnit posted:

I've never had a problem hacking with kb+m. I actually find it really exciting to have to use both simultaneously to find the pattern so maybe I'm just weird. In what way was it broken?

The mouse acts like a joystick. The farther you move it away from neutral, the faster the box moves and you have to reset it back to neutral to get the box to stay still. Also IIRC, you have to press LMB to lock in the choice, so there's that little extra chance of accidentally nudging the mouse and screwing everything up.

Apparently the real trick is to take one point in sabotage and just use EMP grenades to bypass hacks as much as possible.

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 20:33 on Feb 7, 2017

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

Glagha posted:

I also really hated how you had to kill Perseus in God of War 2. Greek Mythology is full of assholes and Perseus is one of the very, very few truly heroic characters in there, so it felt really lovely to kill the guy because Kratos is such a dumb goddamn rear end in a top hat that his only response to anything is to kill it.

Fake edit: since this is the favorite little things in games, I'll add in something I actually did like.

I loved the numerous references State of Decay had to other, famous zombie stories, such as the Plants vs Zombies set up in one yard, or how hitting a zombie with a car door as you drove by netted you the "Gotta Appreciate the Little Things" achievement a la Zombieland.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Pocket Billiards posted:

God of War III also has my favorite QTE in gaming: Kratos gauges out Poseidon's eyes with his thumbs. The prompt for this is L3 + R3. Guess which fingers you're going to use? :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire
I've been testing out Kingdom Hearts unchained - which is a mobile game of kingdom hearts that's apparently going to tie into the new game so I figured since it's "free" I might as well try it. I didn't get very far but I do like that they made a custom heartless for the snowhite world since you never really explore that world when heartless around in any of the games so far.