Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Duckbag posted:

Enterprise had some good aliens though and the Xindi are kind of cool (even if the CG was a little janky). Too bad about the rest of the show.

I remember rolling my eyes somewhat that the main Xindi dudes were basically indistinguishable from the Galaxy Quest bad guys.

Always thought the Suliban were kind of underrated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Suliban are cool, in a stripped shag carpet kind of way, but I think they wouldn't be nearly as memorable without John Fleck.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I remember rolling my eyes somewhat that the main Xindi dudes were basically indistinguishable from the Galaxy Quest bad guys.

Always thought the Suliban were kind of underrated.

Why? Galaxy Quest is a Star Trek IP.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Cojawfee posted:

Why? Galaxy Quest is a Star Trek IP.

Best Star Trek movie of the last 20 years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Spoeank posted:

Easily. I think I've seen Galaxy Quest ten times over the years, it never gets old.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

dont even fink about it posted:

Easily. I think I've seen Galaxy Quest ten times over the years, it never gets old.

But now it's sad to watch.

By Grabthar's Hammer...

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Rhyno posted:

But now it's sad to watch.

By Grabthar's Hammer...

What a savings.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Spoeank posted:

Oh come on, that's not true, what about---

...oh...

...oh god...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Beyond is the best Trek film of the past 15 years.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Roadie posted:

There's that TOS episode where the twist ending is that convergent evolution made another planet produce an exact copy of the US Constitution at some point during its history.

When I first saw that episode as a kid, I just assumed they were some early WW3-refugee colony. Like the SS Botany Bay but they actually got somewhere. So that's an actual original of the Constitution.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Aw man BBC America are cutting Voyager for time. Either that or Seven saying the Borg were there during First Contact is no longer fit for broadcast.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Talking about weird aliens from before, there was a an offscreen character in Deep Space 9 who was a plant person who came up a few times. Bashir and O'Brien threw him a baby shower when he was budding.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Pwnstar posted:

Talking about weird aliens from before, there was a an offscreen character in Deep Space 9 who was a plant person who came up a few times. Bashir and O'Brien threw him a baby shower when he was budding.

I always liked Dax's boyfriend with the transparent skull.

More characters should have off-screen love interests or even *gasp* families. There's a weird trend in Trek of everyone being perpetually single unless they're hooking up with a love interest-of-the-week or another crew member. I always liked that Voyager had Tuvok be straight-up married (and stay faithful!), but mostly it just treated the characters' family/love interests back home as a source of cheap pathos that tended to be forgotten about a lot. Janeway's fiance comes up like once a season. And, of course, DS9 had three different married couples at various points (well, four if you count Quark and Grilka), but it was a lot more focused on the characters' personal lives in general. For the other series, just having someone give a throwaway line about their spouse or kid could be really nice. I guess we sort of got that with Sulu in Beyond, but that was more of a Making A Statement sort of thing whereas what I have in mind is a lot more low key.

You know, just have some characters that are in real, normal human relationships that aren't just a mine for cheap melodrama so we know they're not all a bunch of serial bedhoppers and sexless robots.

Orv
May 4, 2011
God love you John Rhys-Davies, even you can't save this episode.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Orv posted:

Somebody takes over Starfleet Academy or HQ or something and you have to go in and phaser murder a bunch of mind-controlled cadets or something? It's been a while.

Something like that. I remember Klingon, Romulan, Borg and Vulcan levels as well, but I'm not going to dig up my copy to find out. I'm not sure it even works on modern versions of Windows.

It's a bit of a shame it was an underwhelming game because I loved the concept.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Duckbag posted:

I always liked Dax's boyfriend with the transparent skull.

Captain Boday

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
drat it, I want my live action Lt Arex!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

Something like that. I remember Klingon, Romulan, Borg and Vulcan levels as well, but I'm not going to dig up my copy to find out. I'm not sure it even works on modern versions of Windows.

It's a bit of a shame it was an underwhelming game because I loved the concept.
It's one of at least two games I can think of where a Vulcan is the main bad guy at the end

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I like that there's at least a reason for 99% of species being humanoid. Imagine you're something like a tholian though and you go explore space and find basically the same alien over and over infesting the galaxy. I feel bad for all the non-humanoids, really the only "true" aliens in trek that evolved on their own merits rather than just being humanoid space seeds.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just feel really bad for the Sheliak, who have to go through life as poorly CGI'd foam suits.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

I wonder if Armus was actually a Sheliak who was too much of an annoying edgelord for the rest of them to deal with so they dumped him on that planet and took off.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.
I'm not usually one to defend Trek automatically, because my fandom comes with a big dose of :shrug: (that's why I'm posting here and not on a dedicated Trek forum). But it does bug me when non-fans get all bent out of shape about the human-ness of aliens in Trek. It's usually the same people who also bitch about the carpet monsters and dumb looking poo poo in TOS. From the 60's show right through the 2000's, you couldn't do truly inhuman effects convincingly on a regular basis, if at all, especially in the budget and time constraints of a TV show. So you can't have a series that has both inhuman aliens and also isn't completely ridiculous to look at. The explanation from that TNG episode is contrived, lame, and unnecessary. It's far from the lamest thing in Trek lore, but reasonable people should realize the constraints of practical effects in doing a television serial.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Plus, story-telling wise, more human-like aliens are easier for the audience to relate to and tell stories about.

Weird alien concepts beyond immediate understanding are cool and all, but if your episode is supposed to make metaphors for society, the more human the better.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Railing Kill posted:

From the 60's show right through the 2000's, you couldn't do truly inhuman effects convincingly on a regular basis, if at all, especially in the budget and time constraints of a TV show.

oh, wait

quote:

a series that has both inhuman aliens and also is completely ridiculous
Yeah you accounted for farscape

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

nerdman42 posted:

Plus, story-telling wise, more human-like aliens are easier for the audience to relate to and tell stories about.

Weird alien concepts beyond immediate understanding are cool and all, but if your episode is supposed to make metaphors for society, the more human the better.

Exactly. Truly inhuman things are good for a film like "The Arrival," but it doesn't work for Trek because Trek is a story about humanity in the first place and is rooted in naval adventures set in the 1700's/1800's. It's Horatio Hornblower in space. The science fiction just lets it have weirder settings and more opportunities for these little morality plays. That's why "City at the Edge of Forever" is so good as pure Trek. What is this thing that can move poo poo through time? Why is it here? How does it work? Who loving cares? It's literally a plot device. All of the aliens in Trek are similar: they serve the plot, not the other way around.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

Tunicate posted:

oh, wait

Farscape is an exception to everything I said because Jim and Brian Henson were/are wizards. The Henson workshop defies all reason.

You cannot grasp the true form of the Muppet Factory's attack!

Railing Kill fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Feb 7, 2017

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Duckbag posted:

\ I always liked that Voyager had Tuvok be straight-up married (and stay faithful!),

This being Voyager, of course, he did have to gently caress a hologram at least once, though

CharlieWhiskey
Aug 18, 2005

everything, all the time

this is the world

Drink-Mix Man posted:

This being Voyager, of course, he did have to gently caress a hologram at least once, though

Thread title

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

There should have been an episode where the holodeck computer broke and they had to get the doctor to fill in by changing his matrix to act as every character in people's programs. He starts out enjoying it as he gets to be an actor and experience so many new things, but then janeway loads up her irish gently caress town and deeply traumatizes the doctor.

Subyng
May 4, 2013

Railing Kill posted:

Exactly. Truly inhuman things are good for a film like "The Arrival," but it doesn't work for Trek because Trek is a story about humanity in the first place and is rooted in naval adventures set in the 1700's/1800's. It's Horatio Hornblower in space. The science fiction just lets it have weirder settings and more opportunities for these little morality plays. That's why "City at the Edge of Forever" is so good as pure Trek. What is this thing that can move poo poo through time? Why is it here? How does it work? Who loving cares? It's literally a plot device. All of the aliens in Trek are similar: they serve the plot, not the other way around.

This post is really hard to respond to because it seems like you're making a point against weird aliens in trek but you're actually arguing against yourself. As you said, aliens serve the plot, not the other way around, but having aliens that are more alien opens up possilities for interesting story telling because it puts our characters in situations that don't normally exist and explores the outcomes. Isn't that the whole basis of sci-fi in the first place?

Your post is like saying "no, we shouldn't add seasoning to this dish because seasoning serves the dish, not the other way around". Like...yes, but how is that an argument against adding seasoning?

Like, obviously if the plot doesn't necessitate having weird aliens then you're right. But on the other hand weird aliens can be used to create interesting plots. Every episode of Star Trek is essentially "weird or unusual X happens and the characters deal with it". Replace X with technology, situation, or alien.

Subyng fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Feb 7, 2017

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
"I am sorry captain, but I don't think it is appropriate for me to take part in this"
"I said the Lord of the manor removes his clothes and ravishes the the tutor!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Cojawfee posted:

"I am sorry captain, but I don't think it is appropriate for me to take part in this"
"I said the Lord of the manor removes his clothes and ravishes the the tutor!"

Also it would be like quantum leap and the doctor would just look like himself in all the scenes from the point of view of the viewer.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I would Kickstart this episode.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Baronjutter posted:

Also it would be like quantum leap and the doctor would just look like himself in all the scenes from the point of view of the viewer.

Enter Tom Paris, "Computer: Moulin Rouge, 1893, Bal des Quat'z'Arts"

"Oh boy!"

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I can vividly see Robert Picardo's expressions in each scene. This episode, I've seen it, it's REAL. Don't you understand???

Orv
May 4, 2011
I'll be honest when it was suggested it took me a couple minutes of thinking to stop myself from posting "Isn't that... actually an episode?" I think a couple Doctor holodeck episodes deal with similar joy of discovery style stuff and my brain was amalgamating, but yeah I can probably just write the script myself.

Somewhere in it he punches Harry.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Tunicate posted:

oh, wait

Star Trek would probably not feel so cheap all the time if they allied themselves with Jim Henson instead of just trotting out an endless litany of demihumans.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Axanar killed Richard Hatch

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Doggles posted:

Axanar killed Richard Hatch

He made his choice. His obit should read "Richard Hatch, Axanar sympathizer dead at 71."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maybe it was just a good day to die?

RIP Dick Hatch :(