Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like it a lot, it's a bummer that Imagawa got the boot after setting up a big cliffhanger, but for the most part I'm pleased with the haphazard way the various staff shuffling around were able to pick up the pieces. The action stays slick as hell throughout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Raxivace posted:

I've been watching and enjoying Getter Robo Armageddon as I play catch up for SRWV.

It's pretty fun. It feels like a really loose adaptation of the Go manga so far, though Go himself seems to be completely different characters between both stories.

Its weird how they kind of split GO between armageddon and neo getter with neo getting the bulk of the cast, the non-getter-ray getter and the plot(ish) while armageddon got the tone and setting.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Srice posted:

I like it a lot, it's a bummer that Imagawa got the boot after setting up a big cliffhanger, but for the most part I'm pleased with the haphazard way the various staff shuffling around were able to pick up the pieces. The action stays slick as hell throughout.
So is there any word on what happened here with Imagawa? The Wikipedia article is a bit vague.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Raxivace posted:

So is there any word on what happened here with Imagawa? The Wikipedia article is a bit vague.

Nothing definitive has been said but this:

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/431614417378111488

combined with how he takes his time with productions paints a good enough picture, I feel. Especially since the anime doesn't even credit Imagawa as the director of those first three episodes!

Srice fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 26, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Holy loving poo poo Armor Hunter Mellowlink :stare: This show owns

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

So on a whim I decided to watch Fafner and holy poo poo the fafner movie is really good.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Mecha manga goes in here, too, right?

Buster Dress started getting translated recently.

The titular "Buster Dress" is the general name for the mechs, which are outfitted with true AI. This AI is meant to assist and protect their pilots, but they can act completely on their own, and even feel emotions, such as one shown getting flustered over receiving compliments.

Humans have teraformed and colonized a new planet, because Earth is a massive polluted shithole. As colonization stories go, the colony gets destroyed and everyone wants to know what the gently caress happened. Our main character is Haruto Aoi, who is eager to move up in the ranks and values his mech, Gunhawk, as a member of his own family. He is part of the Buster Dress units sent to investigate the destruction of the colony, and rescue the head scientist there if he is still alive.

Also Haruto is so dense, that even his mech can read the situation better than he can.

The tone switches between serious and lighthearted, like most shounen.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

So on a whim I decided to watch Fafner and holy poo poo the fafner movie is really good.

yeah, the TV series is a little questionable and many might find it boring, but the OVA is good, the movie is great fun, and Exodus is absolutely excellent. I've no idea if they really are through with the franchise, it ended a little ambigiously, but the people working on it have absolutely gotten better and better and I hope whatever they get together to do next works out well

I also hope Exodus did well financially, I think it did better than expected but still not...ideal?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Gyra_Solune posted:

yeah, the TV series is a little questionable and many might find it boring, but the OVA is good, the movie is great fun, and Exodus is absolutely excellent. I've no idea if they really are through with the franchise, it ended a little ambigiously, but the people working on it have absolutely gotten better and better and I hope whatever they get together to do next works out well

I also hope Exodus did well financially, I think it did better than expected but still not...ideal?

I've started watching Exodus and the fight choreography is really good. As for the first series, I feel like early on it has a very melancholic mood which I can understand isn't for everyone but I wouldn't call it boring per se. Also http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-06/sokyu-no-fafner-the-beyond-anime-project-1st-teaser-video-streamed/.110715

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

I've started watching Exodus and the fight choreography is really good. As for the first series, I feel like early on it has a very melancholic mood which I can understand isn't for everyone but I wouldn't call it boring per se. Also http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-01-06/sokyu-no-fafner-the-beyond-anime-project-1st-teaser-video-streamed/.110715

how the gently caress did I not know about this

i am decidedly hype, and also hope it isn't delayed quite as much as IIRC Exodus was

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think something can be delayed before a release date is given.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Droyer posted:

I don't think something can be delayed before a release date is given.
Exodus was announced in 2012 and didn't actually air until 2015. It is entirely possible that Beyond could fall victim to delays as well.

Dessel
Feb 21, 2011

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, that show is incredible and I adore the 80's style ED to bits. It really feels like it took the VOTOMS universe and just made a way better show than the original.

Is it just me or have we been lacking any good new IP or even decent trainwreck mecha shows as of few years?

There's Gundam/Macross but both are established IP. Both IBO and the"legacy" Gundam shows are both at least decent. Delta wasn't horrible but it petered out.

New IP's that I can think of are Aldnoah Zero (kinda trainwrecky but entertaining) Argevollen (extremely boring and generic but somewhat accurate portrayal of military. I actually found it genuinely interesting a show but it was generic/boring to a fault). Kuromukuro was mediocre at best, too. Heavy Object was horrible and I stuck with it way too long. Valvrave was pure trainwreck. Honestly the one new IP I can look kinda positively in an unreserved fashion is Gargantia. I have a hard time actually calling Sidonia a mecha show.

I guess I'm hopelessly trying to catch the same feeling I got when I discovered NGE as it was my first anime I actually watched. Unfortunately I was also the right age of Gundam SEED/Destiny right as they broadcast and I actually enjoyed them - they were actually the first Gundam shows I saw. I've since watched 08th MS Team but not the Gundam classics at all. I consumed RahXephon and Code Geass roughly at the same time. Since then there was the obvious Gurren Lagann which led me to check Gun/Diebuster. It actually took me over a year to warm for Gurren Lagann to finish it and then over a year ago I took the plunge to Patlabor and VOTOMS.

I guess I should start checking for more of the golden classics. I am genuinely wondering though whether I have a subjective bias in thinking there's a lack of actual new and good mecha IP or is this a trend the genre fans acknowledge?

edit: I actually forgot to mention Majestic Prince and I remember the goon reaction being fairly decent. I'll probably check it soon.
v

Dessel fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 7, 2017

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

There are always going to be trends in any kind of entertainment media. Sometimes mecha is on the upswing, sometimes it dies down a bit. As for whether you have a subjective bias, the answer is obviously yes because what is and isn't good is by nature subjective. For example I enjoyed Kuromukuro quite a lot (although I haven't been able to watch the second cour for practical reasons). Something else worth keeping in mind is that fiction is always changing; a mecha show made today is going to be different from one made in the 80s, so if you personally prefer the older style of mecha show newer stuff is going to seem worse.

As for recommendations, have you seen Majestic Prince? It's not a fantastic show but it's very fun and doesn't take itself too seriously and the action is really good. Also I disagree that Mellowlink is better than Votoms. The fights in Mellowlink are cool but outside of that it's a very standard revenge plot.

Droyer fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Feb 7, 2017

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Dessel posted:

Yeah, that show is incredible and I adore the 80's style ED to bits. It really feels like it took the VOTOMS universe and just made a way better show than the original.

Is it just me or have we been lacking any good new IP or even decent trainwreck mecha shows as of few years?

There's Gundam/Macross but both are established IP. Both IBO and the"legacy" Gundam shows are both at least decent. Delta wasn't horrible but it petered out.

New IP's that I can think of are Aldnoah Zero (kinda trainwrecky but entertaining) Argevollen (extremely boring and generic but somewhat accurate portrayal of military. I actually found it genuinely interesting a show but it was generic/boring to a fault). Kuromukuro was mediocre at best, too. Heavy Object was horrible and I stuck with it way too long. Valvrave was pure trainwreck. Honestly the one new IP I can look kinda positively in an unreserved fashion is Gargantia. I have a hard time actually calling Sidonia a mecha show.

I guess I'm hopelessly trying to catch the same feeling I got when I discovered NGE as it was my first anime I actually watched. Unfortunately I was also the right age of Gundam SEED/Destiny right as they broadcast and I actually enjoyed them - they were actually the first Gundam shows I saw. I've since watched 08th MS Team but not the Gundam classics at all. I consumed RahXephon and Code Geass roughly at the same time. Since then there was the obvious Gurren Lagann which led me to check Gun/Diebuster. It actually took me over a year to warm for Gurren Lagann to finish it and then over a year ago I took the plunge to Patlabor and VOTOMS.

I guess I should start checking for more of the golden classics. I am genuinely wondering though whether I have a subjective bias in thinking there's a lack of actual new and good mecha IP or is this a trend the genre fans acknowledge?

I don't like Mellowlink as much as mainline VOTOMS, but they're both good and worth a watch. Mellowlink is more consistent (helped by its shorter duration and the fact that it's basically an 80s action movie), but VOTOMS is... weird. And I like its weirdness. It's kind of tone deaf, and Chirico is a cipher, and there's the comedy-relief trio, and it gets really 70s sci-fi at the end, and the episode previews are hilarious, etc, etc. VOTOMS is just very VOTOMS.

(Secretly, I think I just like the VWEEEEEEEE sound the Scopedogs make when they're scooting around)

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dessel posted:

Active Raid is good

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Active Raid is good

Ignore this poster. It's a heap of tedious nothing. There are highlights, but they're few and far between.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My suggestion is to just hit up more old classics and additionally try checking out some of the non-mecha contemporaries that aired around the same time (Especially in the 80s, there are so many good shows that don't get talked about because most of the discourse online for that era tends to be heavily focused towards mecha and certain movies). It's what I have been doing as of late and it's a refreshing change of pace.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

Ignore this poster. It's a heap of tedious nothing. There are highlights, but they're few and far between.

I liked it. All the characters were developed and got some time to shine, and the ending was really cool.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dessel posted:

There are periods where there will be a handful of excellent shows in a single year and periods where years go by and most things are merely mediocre. Besides that, mecha shows as a whole are not as popular as they were in there heyday, so there's less of them being made in general. I think most fans will agree that the genre has been in a decline, and has been since around after SEED Destiny.

You're right that there are a lot of older shows available, though. I noticed you haven't mentioned Giant Robo. You should watch that. Watch Giant Robo.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Feb 7, 2017

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

For reference, that's Giant Robo.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

I liked it. All the characters were developed and got some time to shine, and the ending was really cool.

The characters were static, bland, and one-note as hell (the closest one to being an actual character was the boss, and as part of an ensemble cast, she really didn't get enough time to shine), and the ending felt like nothing we hadn't seen done a million times better before in other robot shows. If you want buddy cops with powered armour, Tiger and Bunny blows it out of the water.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Dessel posted:

edit: I actually forgot to mention Majestic Prince and I remember the goon reaction being fairly decent. I'll probably check it soon.
v

The genre in general is in a bit of a slow spot, possibly due to TTGL having been the most recent real enduring hit - though IBO's success seems to be pretty strong. Dunno why you wouldn't call Sidonia a mecha show, really, but I guess if you wouldn't count that you wouldn't count Bubuki Buranki, which only really embraced the giant robots as a mainstay in the second season (and was better for it). Lagrange wasn't that long ago either, along with M3, both things I really liked but everyone overlooked. There's also Comet Lucifer and Regalia, which weren't...great, mind, but they were definitely there and had some fun stuff in them. And for better or worse, Cross Ange but let's not get into that. If you want to pad out the numbers as well against the position of there just not being many in this decade I /suppose/ you could also count Dai Shogun and Daimidaler AKA the worst and second worst shows I've ever seen any episodes of. Hundred was also there and bad by all accounts but eh.

Next season we've also got Re:Creators which I literally only just found out will exist and so I am excited for, then at some point we're getting that Meguru thing Brains Base is working on, the new J9 show, Jinraiger, whatever the hell ID-0 is going to be, Knights and Magic which might be another Hundred but could also be good, Megaton Musashi which has an interesting-ish premise, Sengoku Dullahan which is just 'let's have the usual Sengoku stuff happen, but everyone's in robots', and probably some other things in the next 3 years that haven't been announced yet.

Oh and we might as well count Symphogear with all this, it's /technically/ magical girls but you would be forgiven for forgetting that. It's rad and does the whole musical combat thing way better than Macross.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Isn't Muv-Luv a relatively recent, relatively big mecha franchise?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Isn't Muv-Luv a relatively recent, relatively big mecha franchise?

The original VN came out in 2003 so it's 14 years old.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!

Gyra_Solune posted:

Lagrange wasn't that long ago either, along with M3, both things I really liked but everyone overlooked.
I enjoyed them! Especially M3.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah I presume the intent was basically 'what has even been relevant in the 2010s' and in truth it's been sort of a rough time for the biggest projects. AGE and Reconguista both kinda flopped, Macross Delta was a disappointment, Eva 3.0 wasn't that great either, soooo

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Darth Walrus posted:

The characters were static, bland, and one-note as hell (the closest one to being an actual character was the boss, and as part of an ensemble cast, she really didn't get enough time to shine), and the ending felt like nothing we hadn't seen done a million times better before in other robot shows. If you want buddy cops with powered armour, Tiger and Bunny blows it out of the water.

I've literally never seen another mecha show where at the end there isn't really a fight, they just talk the bad guy down and get him on the phone with his sister

Droyer posted:

The original VN came out in 2003 so it's 14 years old.

OK, maybe I'm playing a little fast and loose with the phrase "relatively recent"

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Gyra_Solune posted:

Yeah I presume the intent was basically 'what has even been relevant in the 2010s' and in truth it's been sort of a rough time for the biggest projects. AGE and Reconguista both kinda flopped, Macross Delta was a disappointment, Eva 3.0 wasn't that great either, soooo
I thought Rebuild 3.0 was one of the better films of I saw in 2012 and by far the most interesting thing done with the franchise since EoE came out. :shrug:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Droyer posted:

Also I disagree that Mellowlink is better than Votoms. The fights in Mellowlink are cool but outside of that it's a very standard revenge plot.

I think Mellowlink shoots for something way less lofty than VOTOMS, but I also think it does a better job of achieving what it's going for. VOTOMS is... quirky, to say the least.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Aldnoah Zero had good music when the robot fight happens but outside of that it's not brilliant and the second half is especially so. I'm also still not sure what tone the very final scene was shooting for. The music and the way the main people act is heroic but the actual words spoken and their very obvious meaning is pretty villainous.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I'm gonna take this moment to plug Concrete Revolutio, my favorite show of 2016. It is more a show where robots occasionally happen than a mecha show though.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Droyer posted:

I'm gonna take this moment to plug Concrete Revolutio, my favorite show of 2016. It is more a show where robots occasionally happen than a mecha show though.

Yeah, it's more of an action series where every genre's pitted against each other, some of which include robots. It's about as mecha as the first season of Bubuki Buranki, where the robots were more like a plot device for the first and last few episodes and everyone spent most of the time being more shounen weapon fighting.

...Concrete Revolutio could be fun in an SRW though. Weird, but I could see it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gyra_Solune posted:

I'm still frustrated that Reconguista flopped as it's probably my favorite Gundam show - it had crazy interesting worldbuilding, fun mech fights, and the character drama wasn't bad. I'm still waiting a while longer before I rewatch it because I want to forget more of it.

...That said I do see why it didn't go down easy with most watchers as it was a fast show that didn't like to explain itself - and I do think it would have been regarded better if it had the 50~ episodes that most Gundam series get, as opposed to just 26~

Ah well.

I'm honestly looking forward to whatever mecha stuff comes out next - we're not inundated with the genre, but it's certainly not dead. And god knows there'll be a new Gundam thing in the next year or so when IBO's done airing, so hopefully that'll be fun.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I'd honestly like to see some old stuff revamped. Like Dougram or Southern Cross. Great concepts but they didn't get quite the popularity or budget to work, and are a bit hard to watch now. I'd put Dairugger 15 there too. Give some of the also rans or niche loved shows a shot instead of Macross huffing it's own farts to a degree even George Lucas would be ashamed of. And Gundam might just be over saturated and needs a break. (Bandai has poo poo to sell so good luck at that. Whenever it tries something different people get mad. I didn't like G Reco but I at least respect it. IBO just bored me.)

I mean all three of those seem like good fits. A show about plucky rebels fighting an oppressive distant regime gettin all up in they poo poo? An exploration force looking for a new home for humanity thanks to the way we treat Earth running into a new race and accidental misunderstandings and egos causing war? A show about women warriors in some degree of command having to lead their troops against an enemy while dealing with warmongering assholes in charge loving everything up including chances for peace?

It should be money in the goddamn BANK, especially since 2 of them have outside of Japan interests whose distributors would probably love a free source of new money and some of their less popular IP getting a refresh.

Shin Mazinger and Battlestar Galactica proved a good revamp can not only refresh but reinvigorate an old IP.

(Japan is even more originality averse than even the US entertainment industry so a good remake is more likely than something original sadly. Hell, just look at Robotech in the first place. The shows had so many similarities it worked because even then Japan was ripping itself the gently caress off. Macross itself was mostly taking existing ideas and tweaking. It's Yamato plus Gundam with Raideen transforming and a clever idea done as a joke that eventually became the loving Midichlorians of Macross except even more damaging than that and the Jedi fixation SWars has. A couple good songs came out of it? I guess?)

With their European popularity I'm surprised Bismarck and Grendizer haven't gotten reboot attempts for that matter...

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Did Shin Mazinger actually revitalize the franchise? It was presumably responsible for the Shin Mazinger Zero manga getting made on some level, but other than that it doesn't seem to have made much of a splash or done much for the franchise as a whole. There's been a few other things made, like Robot Girls Z in the meantime, but Mazinger was never really dead as such, and there was always some kind of manga project every few years if nothing else to keeping it limping along by my understanding, so I'd imagine things like Robot Girls Z would have existed regardless of Shin.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

They are making a Mazinger Z movie but that's less to do with Shin Mazinger and more that the 45th anniversary of Mazinger Z is coming up.

I reckon if Shin Mazinger were more successful we'd have seen more full reboots of Go Nagai properties as a followup instead of getting the occasional short OVA of something Nagai-related every few years

Not that I'm complaining about the OVAs though since heck, Jun Kawagoe is an underrated action director and more often than not that's the only time he's in the director's chair.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Captain Rufus posted:

Shin Mazinger and Battlestar Galactica proved a good revamp can not only refresh but reinvigorate an old IP.

I loved Shin Mazinger but it was not a success by most measures.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also in thinking about it, at this point I'd be far more interested in getting a non-mecha Go Nagai series adapted. Mazinger frequently gets new entries, yet Devilman never had a proper full adaption and that's a real shame!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
If art was truly celebrated in this world there would be a faithful anime version of the entire Getter Robo manga with an infinite budget.