Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

If you can bring a dozen mages who can cast a spell to a fight and script them to cast it three or four times each, you can overcome your enemy's dispersal of their guys.

I doubt this is a foolproof approach, but most things in Dom4 can be countered in some way or another. The game is about reacting to your enemy's reaction to your previous reaction to their previous action, ad nauseum, until it's over because someone grabbed enough thrones the end.

Problem is that you have to catch the vamp swarm first, which can be hard to do unless they're sieging a fort on their own for some reason. I suppose you can teleport a bunch of mages on top of the vamp swarm, but that doesn't seem like a very cost-effective approach since your mages are liable to get munched in short order since the defender gets the first turn.

A better counter would probably be to use stealthy or flying strike forces to kill the vampspammer's blood hunters and choke off his supply of blood slaves.

my dad posted:

Discounting the possibility of the enemy's stupidity is a good way to let them get away with it, though. :v:

On the other hand, this is also true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

You catch the vamp swarm by noticing which of your provinces now has his candles in it, and scripting the mages there to spam astral geyser. Worst case scenario, they're in the wrong place, but eventually they'll be in the right place and if he's using a sizeable percentage of his vamps in that fight, you might horror mark all of them.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Leperflesh posted:

You catch the vamp swarm by noticing which of your provinces now has his candles in it, and scripting the mages there to spam astral geyser. Worst case scenario, they're in the wrong place, but eventually they'll be in the right place and if he's using a sizeable percentage of his vamps in that fight, you might horror mark all of them.

Sure, you'll probably catch them eventually, but when's eventually? Unless your mages are as mobile as the vamps, you could spend a lot of time chasing them around without ever catching up which ties up a lot of mages and troops that could be used for better purposes. It just seems like expending a lot of effort for questionable gain when there are easier methods available.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

Leperflesh posted:

The game is about reacting to your enemy's reaction to your previous reaction to their previous action, ad nauseum, until it's over because someone grabbed enough thrones the end.

That depends on throne point settings. Too high a victory threshhold and the only viable victory condition is exhausting everyone else to the point where they go AI.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Corbeau posted:

That depends on throne point settings. Too high a victory threshhold and the only viable victory condition is exhausting everyone else to the point where they go AI.

My Autism is Strongest!

e: It's actually a legitimate strategy.

How are u fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Feb 3, 2017

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

What would it take to jump the pack of vampires where they respawn?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

Conquering your enemy's home province and its fort.

So, basically, kicking their rear end so hard they are on the verge of losing.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

resistentialism posted:

What would it take to jump the pack of vampires where they respawn?

Own their cap fort. Frankly, if you've managed that, you've already won.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I think if I can get past my weird brain problem of just stopping participating on daily turn stuff like browser games and Neptune's Pride I'll finally give Dom MP a go here in the pretty near future. Thanks jerk. :mad:

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 56

Turn 56 begins with Stellar Focus. We cast it successfully and now have a Pearl income of 30, which is excellent. Since there is still one global slot available I think it is unlikely that Stellar Focus will be overwritten before it pays for itself. Our goal now is to accumulate as many Pearls as possible for when we hit Enchantment 9. We have 3,700 research points this turn and 9,800 to go to reach Enchantment 8, so that’s three more turns. I can’t remember how many points it takes to get from 8 to 9 but safe bet it will be a -lot-.

We discover a magic site with our remote searching this turn! It is in Alluvia, our new underwater province:

What a curious sounding site!

We summon wolves, a fresh Vampire Lord (Madai) and we succeed in summoning one of the five Arch-Devils! Magoth answered our call:

The higher level unique demon lord summons are pretty neat. You can see that Magoth is fairly robust in addition to having solid Fire and Astral magic. I’m not sure what we’ll be using him for, but by summoning these guys we ensure that nobody -else- can have them. We’ll summon another next turn.

There were only two battle reports this turn. First, Pangaea stormed a Mannish fort and slaughtered the longbows defending it. Only longbows. I’m not sure what’s going on with Man, but he seems to have given up.
Then we pinged the inside of the fort we have under siege in Bahguloth:

Empty! Not even a commander inhabits this fort. The pittance of troops immediately started to rout, and if our scout had stuck around for a few turns without getting killed by one of the auto-firing arrows from the fort towers we’d have taken it. We send a single commander with a detachment of crossbows to storm the fort next turn.

So, Man seems to have given up. This isn’t uncommon for somebody in his position. Dominions turns can be long, intricate, and intensive to take. When you are doing well in a game and you do everything right and pull of a great victory it is an amazing feeling, but when you are getting stomped and have virtually no control over it even the most veteran of players lose the will to put any effort into the game. I wouldn’t bet money on it, but it does appear that Man has retreated into a few of his forts to await the end. This is both good and bad for us. Good in that we will have more of an opportunity to grab as much Mannish territory as possible, and bad because it makes for less interesting turns. I am sure that the forts in which Man is concentrating his remaining forces will be epic to storm, but I don’t think he’ll be sallying forth to meet us in the field anymore.

We get an interesting event this turn:

The site we found in Alluvia triggered a special chain of events! I have seen this event before and it can result in a few fun little prizes, so we slap a spare Pills of Water Breathing on a Sybl and send her beneath the waves to use her Astral magic to get us goodies.

We also got this fun event, sometimes they can be quite goofy:

Life in the world of Dominions is interesting indeed.

Next turn: Storm a couple forts, probably no Mannish battles.

At least we'll have the lake...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
If Man had given up, wouldn't it be expected that he'd go AI?

If he's pulled back without going AI, it'd seem more like he's either consolidating for a push back, or buying time for some sort of "gently caress everyone"-strategy to just cause chaos and misery as intensely as possible with big spells or summons.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

PurpleXVI posted:

If Man had given up, wouldn't it be expected that he'd go AI?

If he's pulled back without going AI, it'd seem more like he's either consolidating for a push back, or buying time for some sort of "gently caress everyone"-strategy to just cause chaos and misery as intensely as possible with big spells or summons.

It depends. Some people bitch at you if you go AI while having any means at all to fight back. Some people don't go AI because they don't want to be that guy that everyone knows will go AI as soon as pressure gets put on them. Some people don't go AI because they want to spite their invader as hard as humanly possible.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

PurpleXVI posted:

Each turn update is written entirely from the perspective of that moment :ssh:

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

How are u posted:

The higher level unique demon lord summons are pretty neat. You can see that Magoth is fairly robust in addition to having solid Fire and Astral magic. I’m not sure what we’ll be using him for, but by summoning these guys we ensure that nobody -else- can have them. We’ll summon another next turn.

Actually, unlike the elemental royalty and treelords, I'm pretty sure the unique demon summons will cheerfully leave you if someone else happens to cast the spell and there are none left unsummoned. So there is a slight downside to those four separate groups of unique summonable demons in Blood.

Orv
May 4, 2011

How are u posted:

Each turn update is written entirely from the perspective of that moment :ssh:

Did you write them as it was going on, and then editors notes are at post, or are you roleplaying yourself from the past like some kind of comics nonsense?

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Orv posted:

Did you write them as it was going on, and then editors notes are at post, or are you roleplaying yourself from the past like some kind of comics nonsense?

The updates were written on the same day the turn was played, and if I have separate thoughts or additions to add at the time of actual posting [Ed: I'll add them like this].

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 57

Turn 57 begins with a Rain of Toads, more slimey goodness dropped on the heads of the people of Man. The good vibes we get from sending toads is immediately dispelled, however, because on this turn Man hit back.

A Dire Portent! It’s never good when you see that announcement, somebody is about to gently caress up your plans. Here’s the message we see:

Oh god-fucker, that sounds suspiciously like the spell Enchan-

Yep. This is where Man’s huge research lead has been going. He researched himself up to Conjuration 9 and has cast Enchanted Forests. Enchanted Forests is an excellent global, befitting its spot at the very end of a school of magic. It does several things, the first of which is make it so every single Forest province in the world, regardless of who owns it, begins to spread your Dominion a little bit. I’m not sure how powerful the push is, I don’t -think- it is even as strong as a normal temple’s spread power, but it works regardless of who owns the actual province. Secondly, it triggers attacks in Forest provinces under your Dominion and also in provinces adjacent to the Forest provinces under your Dominion. The attacks are made automatically by temporary units that disappear after the battle ends. They can range from a group of 7-12 Trolls + Troll Shaman to dozens of Vine Men, Vine Ogres, and Dryads led by an Ivy King. The stronger attacks can clear most low to middling levels of PD. If the attack succeeds, and there is no enemy fort in the province, then the province is taken for the Enchanted Forests caster.

This is kind of a last-ditch move by Man. This global generally (rightfully) makes the caster extremely unpopular with his neighbors, so it is something you cast when you can afford to go to war with everybody around you. Man may be counting on the global Forest province dom-spread to help save his rear end from our agressive blood-saccing. We are slowly winning our Dom-push war with Man, and this turn his capitol province is down to a single candle of his Dominion, which is just fantastic.

I’m -most- worried that this stupid global will end up loving up our blood hunting parties. They generally won’t be able to handle the kind of attacks that Enchanted Forest throws out, and we have a fair number of Forest provinces in our core territory. However, we also have really strong Dominion right now, so I am hoping that as long as we continue to push Man’s dom down the toilet we will be OK. We’ll see how the Dominion score graphs look next turn, after the global has time to go into effect.

We summon wolves, a new Vampire Lord (Javan), and our second Arch-Devil:

What a lovely looking friend! He has one more level of Fire than the previous Devil, and he also generates 1F per turn! Eventually I’m going to find something to do with these fellows, but for now it is just better to deny them to our enemies.

Man comes out swinging this turn. First he drops a mega global, then he actually attacks us. Two Mannish Golems have attacked our Throne province of Trencebor:

Man attacked us!

Golems! How interesting...

Golems are high-level Construction summons. They are extremely beefy, never rout, have a little bit of Astral magic that can be used for teleporting with a booster, and are a classic Thug / Super-Combatant (SC) chassis. Man has two of them, and well kitted out at that. They are identically equipped with: Gate Cleavers (mighty 2-handed axes with a huge bonus to siege strength), Iron Face helms (helmet that auto-casts Ironskin on the wearer), Jade Armor (grants Quickness), Winged Shoes (Flying), Rings of Regeneration, and Wall Shakers (Misc. item that grants another big boost to siege power). They are clearly equipped to knock down Fort walls, and they make mincemeat of our PD:

The Golem pretty much squished these humans into paste.

I am guessing that Man’s play here is to try and threaten, if not take, our Throne in Trencebor. If I lost the Throne then our Dom-spread strength would be weakened. If I were the one using the Golems I’d want them to act as raiders and go around loving up our blood hunting, which would actually put a damper on our ability to wage this war. But Man genuinely seems to have equipped them for siege strength.

Man also forgot one thing, and because of it he’ll end up with two dead Golems next turn unless he withdraws them. Man forgot that Lifeless units, such as Golems, cannot be affected by Regeneration -except- for the Regeneration effect that comes from a Pretender God’s major Nature bless. Our PD that got so trounced in Trencebor actually managed to chip 20hp off of one of those Golems. We are sending 4 Vampire Lords and a couple dozen lesser Vampires to attack the sieging Golems next turn. An endless tide of skeletons will eventually be able to chip the over-geared creations to death. Fingers crossed.

We took the (virtually) undefended fortress in Bahguloth this turn. We are commanding our army to sit within its walls for the time being. We’ll have all the mages research, build a temple, and hold fast until we take care of the Golems and can move forward in a different area of the front.

We also take the Xibalban fortress in Wailwind Waters, that’s two underwater forts in our hands now. There’s nothing interesting in the province other than a Lab, but we’ll site-search it while the armies move to attack Xibalba’s single remaining province in this game.

The underwater realm is very beautiful, if not very exciting. Observe the mighty walls of a Kelp Fortress.

Speaking of our pond, the special event chain that kicked off in Alluvia last turn has given us a gift:

We’ll hope to get more fun gifts in the turns to come.

Well, this turn comes to a close with more excitement than the last few turns have given us. Our army of Vampires continues to siege Man’s province of Asanon while other Vampires fly to the aid of our besieged forces in Trencebor. We will take a careful look at the Dominion score graphic next turn. Man’s Dominion has been slowly forced down, so if it starts to tick up we may have to go ahead and claim the Throne of the Pantokrator. Hopefully Enchanted Forests proves to be weak where our Dominion is strong, and we can kill the Golems and press forward against Man without turning the world against us.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
Awesome, I'm glad Man was just pulling back for a last-ditch effort, not actually surrendering.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
I love this LP.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I'm rooting for Man to survive as long as possible. That's one hell of an active desperate defence being made here.

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.
Out of curiosity, what can you Wish for?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

TravelLog posted:

Out of curiosity, what can you Wish for?

Unless it's been changed, there's simply a list of verbs that work (and supposedly Dom2 had more options, but it was trimmed down in the next two revisions).

This butt-ugly page has what is probably the complete list: http://dominions-4.wikia.com/wiki/Wish

E: A few notable things about Wish. Wish can summon almost any unit in the game, but I believe it cannot summon pretender chassis (this may have been possible in Dom2), and wishing for any flavor of Grigori (holy giants) gets you Grigorious the Grigori, a useless unit who will eventually disappear on his own and is described as 'answering the calls of wishful thinking'. It's actually a little odd, since the Grigori aren't necessarily even the most powerful units you could Wish up.

Wish is incredibly powerful, and for certain builds can supplant parts of the research tree by allowing you to Wish for unique units and artifacts (powerful unique items at the top of the construction tree). Wish is also incredibly expensive at 100 astral pearls, so while it is potent if used correctly, it's not as game-breaking as it might appear (unless you find a discount magic site, in which case Wish can become an endless fount of resources and run away with the game all on its own).

Most of the unique verbs you can wish for are useless, in typical Dominions fashion, and exist more for flavor.

Wishing for a Doom Horror is a pretty bad idea overall because it may not be under your control and will randomly defect and disappear after a small number of turns anyways.

Unless it has been changed, I THINK Wish can steal unique units and artefacts from elsewhere in the world, but don't quote me on that one.

E2: Wishing is also one of the ways to decimate the world if you're feeling spiteful in late-game. Wish a few times for Armageddon and watch anybody who still relies on gold, troops, or human mages start tearing their hair out. Caveat: your armageddon-wisher should ideally be immortal/super-beefy, because they too can be smote by the angry hand of the End Of The World wish. If you're capable of performing this trick, I suspect it would single-handedly decide the game, as players go AI refusing to try to micro-manage damage mitigation and anyone left immediately beelines for your nation in a giant defensive pact.

Shady Amish Terror fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 8, 2017

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Also if the game goes against you wish spamming is one of the best gently caress the world spells. For the caster can just start spamming Armageddon and quickly depopulate the world. In fact Armageddon spamming is at its strongest in the Late Era as there are very few units that can eat the damage that the spell randomly does.

Edit:So what would you consider noticeably stronger then the Grigori (who are actually fallen angels) who you can wish for?

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Well, I don't actually play Dominions, so my opinions should be taken with a nice big bag of rock salt, but I had heard the argument before that there are better specialist units to wish for than Grigori and it had made sense to me at the time. Let me look at the mod inspector site real quick and see how that holds up.

Hmm...alright, the Grigori are pretty close to the cream of the crop. There's a couple of other chassis that appear to make sense for SC's, and there's a couple of things you could try for better magic in a couple of schools, but I have to concede the Grigori are probably just about the top of the unit heap. Tartarians aren't especially appealing (they were more powerful/available in Dom2/Dom3, I think?), and the elemental royalty can probably be summoned directly if you're capable of getting to Wish.

I do wonder, though, can you wish for God Vessels, the Queen of the City, or other niche application heros?

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

You can wish for some chayot for example. (And you can wish for a Pretender chassis, the only actual limit is that you catch the first unit in unit numbers that matches the name given. I guess the spoiler Grigori is just there to annoy.)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
This is back in Dom 3 but I was fighting Lanka as Hinnom in a game that was quickly losing steam due to Armageddon spamming. Anyway he chucks a solid army with decent scripting and a host of undead and demons against one of my summoned Grigori. I technically lost the battle but that was more because the defending auto route activated before it could get around to killing some of the last surviving skeletons. Admittedly the next time he attacked he just spammed life for life which just slaughters SC;s so while strong, even back in the glory days of SC's they are still nowhere close to invulnerable.

Hunt11 fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Feb 8, 2017

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Ah, apologies for my mistake on Pretender chassis, I guess I'd mis-remembered that.

I had also forgotten that LA R'lyeh doesn't exist anymore, so no more summoning extra-dimensional abominations as mini-horrors, which was probably one of the things you could summon to beat a Grigori in terms of what to wish for.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I had also forgotten that LA R'lyeh doesn't exist anymore, so no more summoning extra-dimensional abominations as mini-horrors, which was probably one of the things you could summon to beat a Grigori in terms of what to wish for.

Yes they do.

Wishing is good and fun, especially if you're pelagia and can convert gems to pearls at 1:1 because wishing for gems gets you 125 gems total. Wish engines are hell to get started and basically require arcane nexus and potentially a discount site but if you're at that point you probably just get to win the game by constantly wishing for friends/provinces/armageddon

I got wishing going in precisely one game and I wish I'd known then what exactly I could do with it.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
Oh! So they do. I must have misunderstood what I'd been told about them, then. Did they lose their insanity mechanic or something?

That's like three things I was wrong about. I'm apparently very misinformed about the differences going into Dom4, sorry.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They are considered somewhat rude to play as.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
If you play LA, you deserve everything that entails.

Katznmaus
May 29, 2013
Thank you for playing this weirdly fascinating game. I'm amazed about all variations of demons, frog people and tree men popping up constantly.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
OK, I had to wait a bit because there was another hole where turn 55 was supposed to be, but now I can post two more Caelum turns!

Caelum Turn 56

This turn was rather short. Operation Ocean Siege is now in full swing, with all coastal forts being completed. Some of the armies at the coast have now been repurposed to invade Mictlan. Jomon is now super-hosed. Instead of stealing provinces, they'll now get one turn of squatting in front of one of my new forts, then they'll get punted back into the water by the two armies I kept in the region.

From this turn on, Bogarus and I will race to get as many of Mictlan's provinces as we can. We both know future war is inevitable, but at the moment we both pretend we're at peace.

Caelum Turn 57

Mictlan's border fort falls to me and I still make grand plans involving marching Pale Ones to their deaths into the ocean. Will the giant stack of one-eyed abominations, now reinforced with sea trolls and water mages, be able to finally gain a foothold underwater? The next turn will have all the answers!

Edit:

Also wow, I'm already at the end of my playlist. After next turn, I'll actually have to do work again (by uploading new videos). :v:

A step backwards

Libluini fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 9, 2017

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Turn 58

Turn 58 begins with a bunch of spells. We summon another Vampire Lord (Tubal), wolves, find one Astral site in Wailwind Waters, and summon our third Arch-Devil:

At this stage of the game Pearls = Power!

Does he have a little beard?

What a fun fellow he his. He has a scythe that banishes whomever it strikes to Hell [Ed: Hell, or more properly The Inferno, is a real physical place in Dominions 4. Units that are sent there are not instantly killed, rather they hang around and each turn have a chance to be attacked by a variety of demons. They also have a very small chance of finding their way out...].

There are several battles to look at this turn. First we see that AI Jomon continues to harry Caelum from the sea:

Shark attack!

How annoying that must be, I love it! You go Jomon!

Next we see our attack on Xibalba’s last remaining province in the game, White Water:

We kill a bunch of frog-men and put the fort to siege. In fact, we kill enough frog-men to instantly crack the gate, and we will be storming the fort next turn. Barring some kind of crazy unforeseen gently caress-up, Xibalba dies next turn.

We see our Vampires murder Man’s Golems OH WAIT no we don’t. Due to the lovely mechanics of a retreating sieging army never being caught that we encountered earlier in the game Man’s two Golems slip effortlessly away from Trencebor and attack our unforted blood hunting province of Dead Forest!!

Golems v Fully Functioning Blood Hunting Province

Two very heavily kitted-out Golems face down 120 wolves and a handful of Kohen blood hunters armed with nothing more than Sanguine Dousing Rods. Actually, the Kohen were never in danger. I’m giving myself a pat on the back for having the foresight to script all of our blood hunters with special orders a few turns ago when Enchanted Forests went up. Now, all blood hunters are placed on the back of the field and set to Hold, Hold, Hold, Hold, Retreat. This scripting allows the Kohen to stick around if the hunting party encounters, say, an enemy scout that gets murdered by wolves in a couple rounds of battle. It also allows the Kohen to retreat if the party is attacked by something that’s strong enough to survive five rounds of combat, something that could threaten the hunters. I am very pleased with myself. Anyway, the Golems face off with the hunting party:

The Golems are quickly surrounded by wolves and lovely PD infantry. The problem for the Golems is that they are equipped for maximum siege power and not to clear chaff. They have a single massively strong attack with their Gate Cleaver axes, and they get it twice per round because they are Quickened by their Jade Armor. However, they also have really lovely Attack and Defense scores, so in reality they just cleave a wolf or infantry in two each round while being poked by spears and bitten by jaws that they can’t defend themselves from.

We lose basically all of our wolves, but the long and boring battle chips away at the Golems (whose Rings of Regeneration cannot heal them) and one of them goes down. That one Golem (30 Pearls), wielding the Gate Cleaver (15 Earth), wearing an Iron Face helm (20 Earth), Jade Armor (10 Water 5 Nature), Winged Shoes (10 Air), Ring of Regeneration (10 Nature), and a Wall Shaker horn (15 Air) died to wolves and Province Defense. That’s the sound of 115 gems being flushed down the toilet. The best part is that we almost killed the second Golem as well! It ended the battle with under 20hp.

Run away!

TFW you lose 115 gems to wolves. The red 4 is a dead Golem.

Man is probably pretty pissed about this and I would not be surprised if he tries to retreat his remaining Golem. Even if he tries to continue raiding with it our PD will probably kill it at some point. The Vampire squad in Trencebor flies to Dead Forest to try and catch the remaining Golem and/or retake the province. We will restore blood hunting there shortly.

Finally, there was a scouted battle report where Pan took another Mannish fort:

Alpha-Strike with Harpies.

Pan’s bird-women are really great at loving up archers, that’s something to remember.

We also learned something about Man’s defenses from one of our scouts in Solam, one of the provinces on our War front:

Troll Kings are mid-high level Earth summons. They're E3 mages that are also beefy, and come with a retinue of various War Trolls and Troll Moose Knights.

Man is patrolling in force and has summoned a couple of Troll Kings to set his own Earthquake traps. That’d be annoying if we planned to march a huge army into the province. In reality we are going to wait for Dominion to spread and then attack with Vampires, who fly and thus don’t give a poo poo about Earthquakes. Nice try though, Man.

Wrapping up: We are not very concerned about Man’s lose Golem, we’ll chase it until we catch it or it dies. We are summoning another Vampire Lord, another Arch-Devil, and bonus we are going to try to summon another unique Blood friend as well! Also, the Mannish fort in Asanon has been cracked. We have 7 Vampire Lords and over 100 lesser Vampires sieging that fort right now, and next turn they’re going in.

Next turn: Storming forts with Vampires, putting a final end to Xibalba.

How are u fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Feb 12, 2017

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Whoah now, loving with the blood hunters, that ain't cool.

Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Those wolves are to help patrol and suppress unrest caused by blood-hunting, right? Does summoning them cost any gems or gold? Those golems basically died will soon both die for nothing of consequence?

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Each cast of Pack of Wolves costs 2 Nature gems. So they don't cost nothing, but they cost significantly less than the Golems + Gear.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?
120 wolves is 12 casts or 24 nature gems, which traded for 115 of Man's gems. So it didn't cost him nothing but he traded 4.8 to 1 which is a trade I would take almost any day. Never mind the damage to the other gollem which represents another 115 gem investment.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Caelum Turn 58

The last video in my playlist. From now on I will actually have to upload new and fresh videos for these posts!

In this turn, not only did I get attacked by AI Jomon again, but we also failed to invade the oceans ourselves! Two victories for the AI. :argh:

The underwater battle of my 200+ Pale Ones plus magic back up is especially painful. First, normal defenders and multiple Pale One squadrons scare each other into running away, leaving the other half of my army and a huge chunk of shrimp warriors. Then, the shrimp warriors kill so many pale ones they cause a route. Ouch. The Troll King and his summoned water elementals getting stuck behind the pale ones adds a little bit of extra comedy. As a consequence of this battle, I immediately stop recruitment of pale ones.

After this, there's the weakest assassination attampt ever made, when Mictlan sends a Stalker against one of my priests. The priest wins.

The update in pictures (since I think I forgot to show some of the important units in the video above):

The Caretaker is the basic priest of Late Age Caelum. Thanks to having wings he is immune to earthquakes and even though a stiff breeze could take him out, he has some magic paths. Only Earth and Death at rank 1, but that's enough to summon some cheap poo poo. An assassin has to haul rear end to get to him before he gets flooded with random garbage skeletons. (The AI loves cheap battlefield summons.)

The standard Pale Ones you can get from random caves. Amphibic and Darkvision makes them sound enticing, but they come with a lot of drawbacks: They're poo poo at hitting things with their low stats, which combines with their large size (less attacks per square) to make it nearly impossible for them to do any damage. Sure, when their spears hit something, it will hurt. That'll almost never happen, though. Having more hit points then normal-sized units doesn't help them because of their low protection. They also have no helmets, which causes them to instantly die to crits if their heads get hit and they only have one eye. That means if they ever lose it, they are instantly blinded.

Cold-blooded means no diseases from swamps, but also terrible problems in cold regions. Need-not-eat gives them the ability to not use up your supplies. Them not costing you supplies and the bonus to sieges are the only reasons to ever have them. In most battles, they will just awkwardly fail to hit enemy units until they accumulate enough damage to route. They're not really a unit to win battles with. They suck even when not sucking: If you park them in some wasteland they'll not even starve to death, costing you upkeep until the end of time or you remember where you parked them.

Shrimp soldiers also don't have helmets, but otherwise they're the exact opposite in many things: They have really high protection, for example. Their stats are generally higher, so they can easier hit things and evade better. They're also size 2, so generally there will be more of them in a square, too. Their magic resistance is about a third lower than the Pale Ones, but in a straight up fight between both of them, the Shrimps will eat the Pale Ones alive.

This was the assassin attacking my Caretaker this turn. Like a normal assassin, he has a poisonous attack, which means certain death if a commander can't resist it. Even if the assassin dies, if the poison doesn't go away the commander just keels over dead right after him. In addition to being super-stealthy, a Stalker is also ethereal (hard to hit without magic weapons) can scale walls (attack commanders inside a fort) and his stats are high enough he could theoretically just straight-up murder many commanders with his weapons alone. Since he only needs to hit a commander with his poison dagger once, this guy is actually really dangerous.

Too bad his poison dagger doesn't help against the undead, or my Caretaker would have been in real danger. :v:

Older turns

Libluini fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Feb 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So what kind of equipment is useful to give a unit as an anti-chaff measure? Is there stuff with flame auras or fear on it?

• Locked thread