Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I highly doubt they're really using them as their everyday device. It's easy to receive a freebie phone, use it as a secondary device, overlook the quirks and say "this is a great phone!"
Yes tech journalists should be treated with suspicion for recommending a phone after using it for a month, as opposed to the posters in this thread who should be trusted in their unending hatred circlejerk about the OP3 despite having never even touched one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

Yes tech journalists should be treated with suspicion for recommending a phone after using it for a month, as opposed to the posters in this thread who should be trusted in their unending hatred circlejerk about the OP3 despite having never even touched one

I touched one and it burned my hand while demanding nudes. Don't buy a phone if it isn't manufactured by the platform owner.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Syrinxx posted:

Defend Your Purchase

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Syrinxx posted:

I tried to touch one once but a really strong energy field repelled me as a disembodied voice floated through the air hauntingly wailing specs matter

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
:same:

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

"This phone has a number of issues that result in me having to troubleshoot and update to betas to fix half-baked, non-standard 'features' but at least it was cheap." - The Android Story.

e: I had someone who, apparently, lived close to me want to meet up irl and fight me because I didn't like his stupid Samsung watch or whatever. Nerds getting way too mad about cell phones is the true Android story (:ironicat:).

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Feb 7, 2017

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Syrinxx posted:

I mean automatically recoiling from oneplus devices is a plus in my book and I'd trust someone who told me they're bad, at least a little bit.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Outside of the Pixel, hasn't everything before pretty much all been the Beta Android Development? (BAD)

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
OnePlus phones are bad.

- a previous OnePlus phone owner. I tried tech journalism but instead it just ended up written into my now defunct livejournal.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!
I spilled a drink on my Pixel XL two days ago. It was face up, so most just pooled on the screen, and it was cleaned up quickly. I don't think any got into ports or plugs, but hard to say for certain.

What issues should I be on the lookout for? Would I already have known if something went wrong by now (48 hours later)?

I haven't noticed anything except just now when my phone just shut off randomly. I was listening to headphones and had just taken a short video (turned off the screen after taking the video). No idea if that'd be related to the liquid spill, though. The timing makes me think something went wrong with the processing of the video.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That's one advantage of not having speakers on the front on a non-waterproof phone. If none spilled in there you're likely fine, and even those ports should be okay with a little spill. It's IP53 which means some splashing will be okay unless it's a particularly unfortunate angle.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Axon 7 currently updating to Nougat 👌saw that the daydream headset is on sale for like 50$, is it worth it?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Captain Yossarian posted:

Axon 7 currently updating to Nougat 👌saw that the daydream headset is on sale for like 50$, is it worth it?

Eh, I'd personally say let it drop a little more. $50 for me mentally is still in "AAA game release" territory because I'm old and more of my life has been at that price point than the $60 it is now. $30-40 sure especially if you like immersive storytelling and have shittons of play credit laying around. The games are in general "meh" but there's some neat uses. I like the Google arts and culture museum thing myself but again, old.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Does the Axon 7 support Daydream...?

e: apparently it does alongside the N update. Neato.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Feb 7, 2017

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

sleepwalkers posted:

Does the Axon 7 support Daydream...?

Yes, it does now.

https://community.zteusa.com/thread/14764

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

All you need for Daydream is a good AMOLED panel, and an 820+ CPU with Android 7.0 so the Axon and a few other devices should be good to go now or soon.

drat that Axon is a sweet phone. I hope that Sprint might pick up an Axon 8 or something down the line.

Doesn't Sprint's cheap carrier Boost Mobile have a few ZTE phones on hand of the near garbage variety? Or am I thinking Metro?*

*Nope I was right. They have 3 ZTE phones among a few others like Alcatel and Kyocera still lol. (Remember that dual screen clamshell phone they made?)

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 7, 2017

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

FAUXTON posted:

Eh, I'd personally say let it drop a little more. $50 for me mentally is still in "AAA game release" territory because I'm old and more of my life has been at that price point than the $60 it is now. $30-40 sure especially if you like immersive storytelling and have shittons of play credit laying around. The games are in general "meh" but there's some neat uses. I like the Google arts and culture museum thing myself but again, old.

I will watch for them to go cheaper thanks :) I have the viewer master and its great for what it is but I really want a good headset with a head strap

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

Taffer posted:

That's one advantage of not having speakers on the front on a non-waterproof phone. If none spilled in there you're likely fine, and even those ports should be okay with a little spill. It's IP53 which means some splashing will be okay unless it's a particularly unfortunate angle.

Thanks, that's what I thought but I got a bit paranoid after the random shut down. Hasn't happened since, so I'm hoping it was just a one time quirk.

FAUXTON posted:

One thing I've been curious about is how the heat issues affect long term battery life. I enjoy not having to think about or micromanage my battery, but I've seen some people suggest that repeatedly hitting high temperatures will lower the lifespan of a battery more quickly. Is that actually a concern? I kind of want to get a Daydream, but not if it'll make my Pixel have the battery life of my old Note 3 down the road (ie crap).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Regardless of what you may do, your battery is going to feel a bit "old" after about a year, unless you baby the hell out of it. It is a curse this new age of non replaceable batteries (or at least not easily replaceable) so it may be worth hitting up the warranty of the device before it runs out if you notice a good drop in battery performance.

Outside of that, considering the battery life of the Pixel as it stands, should still last pretty good with its original battery than my 6P. 7.1+ is a lot easier on drain then 6.X seemed so I think it may go over a year even with heavy usage.

I could see phones like the 6P and Pixels being able to last 2-3+ years as DD's for a lot more people if they would have had replaceable batteries. It's a bummer that what, only LG's offer it and instead of battery issues, they just self destruct in other creative ways. Gotta love (Un)Planned Obsolesce. :v:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's $80 to replace a pixel battery. Not as cheap as the $25 cost for an LG G5 battery, but an extra $55 is worth the the fact that your phone might still be working after a year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ugh, Google really needs to loving fix Bluetooth on the pixel.

WRX, sound has interference every 30 seconds or so.

Jaybird X2, same experience.

BRZ, will just flat out drop the connection randomly.

Annoying as hell.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

EdEddnEddy posted:

Regardless of what you may do, your battery is going to feel a bit "old" after about a year, unless you baby the hell out of it. It is a curse this new age of non replaceable batteries (or at least not easily replaceable) so it may be worth hitting up the warranty of the device before it runs out if you notice a good drop in battery performance.

Outside of that, considering the battery life of the Pixel as it stands, should still last pretty good with its original battery than my 6P. 7.1+ is a lot easier on drain then 6.X seemed so I think it may go over a year even with heavy usage.

I could see phones like the 6P and Pixels being able to last 2-3+ years as DD's for a lot more people if they would have had replaceable batteries. It's a bummer that what, only LG's offer it and instead of battery issues, they just self destruct in other creative ways. Gotta love (Un)Planned Obsolesce. :v:

Not to mention background usage creep with apps almost everyone has will mean the battery will be used more on an invisible basis. Sure, you can drop FB and Messenger because they're massive hogs as is, but then there's Twitter and Instagram and Snapchat and whatnot. After a year you'll have been burning the candle from both ends, your battery will have aged and you'll be demanding more from the hardware, which will inevitably devolve to higher battery draw.

Enclosed chassis are a net good though. You get the ability to make a more sealed-up phone, more hardware in the same exterior volume (e.g. bigger battery), and with a metal chassis you can ostensibly manage battery heat better by using the chassis as a heatsink. When you have to build the frame for the internals, then run contacts outside the chassis, and make the battery small enough to fit under a cover that flushes with the chassis when closed, you're sacrificing a) space for more battery/RAM and b) area for CPU heat transfer unless you're using the battery as a big ol' heat sink.

They should just include a 2-year battery warranty with all phones, inclusive of a replacement after 1 year and guaranteed rates of degradation (e.g. if it's 3000 mAh new, then they guarantee say 2850 mAh/95% after 6 months, something you'd need to really beat the phone up to do) to catch defects and maintain usability for edge cases so they go to you for the upgrade instead of saying "the battery in this thing crapped out on me, I'll try this other brand" but here I am getting all misty about consumer-friendly treatment from high-demand manufacturers lol.

FAUXTON fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 7, 2017

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice

incogneato posted:

One thing I've been curious about is how the heat issues affect long term battery life. I enjoy not having to think about or micromanage my battery, but I've seen some people suggest that repeatedly hitting high temperatures will lower the lifespan of a battery more quickly. Is that actually a concern? I kind of want to get a Daydream, but not if it'll make my Pixel have the battery life of my old Note 3 down the road (ie crap).

After cycling, heat is going to be the next worse thing for your battery. It's really going to depend on your usage pattern, though. If you mess around with DD once in awhile it's not going to be a big deal in the long run I imagine. However if you're keeping the battery temperatures elevated very often, let's say between DD and high speed charging, you will more rapidly decrease the lifespan of the battery.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
I've been on a 3T for a few weeks and can't independently discern why all there's all this hate ITT. Maybe I'll see it in the coming months but it functions just like I need it to as a phone. No bugs or any weird sudden restart behavior. It upgraded to Nougat on startup out of the box. I don't have any sort of bluetooth peripherals or anything else so I can't speak to that. Is there some catastrophic mechanical failure in store for me? Some software update bullshitgoing to brick my phone?

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Annoying as hell.

I have a Jaybird x2 and a Pixel and it works fine.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I have a Jaybird x2 and a Pixel and it works fine.

It seems to be tied to wifi. If I turn wifi off, it behaves a lot better, but still not perfect.

On my drive home, the disconnects always happen in the same spot on the road.

I drove for 4 hours on the turnpike and didn't have so much as a blip.

It really seems to be tied to network activity which would explain why people have varied experiences.

Bluetooth, wifi, and Nexus devices haven't played well together since before 4.x. I've always had poo poo experiences with them. I pretty much gave up using a Bluetooth speaker with my N7 tablet because wifi would all but shutoff when connected to the speaker.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

bull3964 posted:

Annoying as hell.

LG Tone Pro 750 works fine.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

It seems to be tied to wifi. If I turn wifi off, it behaves a lot better, but still not perfect.

It really seems to be tied to network activity which would explain why people have varied experiences.

Bluetooth, wifi, and Nexus devices haven't played well together since before 4.x. I've always had poo poo experiences with them. I pretty much gave up using a Bluetooth speaker with my N7 tablet because wifi would all but shutoff when connected to the speaker.

I never turn my wifi off and only use my Jaybird at home where I am always connected to wifi. I'm not saying you aren't experiencing problems but I'm not with the same hardware.

I'm connected to an Apple Time Capsule, last generation, no idea the network type though. Either way, I never have problems with Bluetooth and neither does my girlfriend with a Pixel connecting to a Bluetooth dongle in her car. Works flawlessly for hours at a time.

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Seamonster posted:

I've been on a 3T for a few weeks and can't independently discern why all there's all this hate ITT. Maybe I'll see it in the coming months but it functions just like I need it to as a phone. No bugs or any weird sudden restart behavior. It upgraded to Nougat on startup out of the box. I don't have any sort of bluetooth peripherals or anything else so I can't speak to that. Is there some catastrophic mechanical failure in store for me? Some software update bullshitgoing to brick my phone?
I've been on the OP3 for the better part of a year and I just keep waiting for something to be bad about it. I use the hell out of it, games, GPS/running, work vpn, tethering, video, chromecasting, nearly 10 connected BT devices.... but it just doesn't have any issues I have noticed.

I have no personal attachment to this phone model. I go through phones like crazy, about 1-2 a year, and have never had a problem bitching about phones I've had in the past (gently caress you Nexus 5 and MXP). I guess owning the phone that the thread is dogpiling on and being perfectly satisfied with it is some kind of bad thing. :shrug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

I never turn my wifi off and only use my Jaybird at home where I am always connected to wifi. I'm not saying you aren't experiencing problems but I'm not with the same hardware.

I'm connected to an Apple Time Capsule, last generation, no idea the network type though. Either way, I never have problems with Bluetooth and neither does my girlfriend with a Pixel connecting to a Bluetooth dongle in her car. Works flawlessly for hours at a time.

Well, it has never worked flawlessly for me. 5 Nexus devices, 2 Pixel devices, 4 different routers, 5 different types of Bluetooth connected audio playback devices. Every single combo has had one sort of problem or another.

AOSP Bluetooth stack has sucked for me ever since they changed it up sometime in the 4.x days. Never had an issue with any of my Moto devices though.

i like tacos
Mar 26, 2010

Ask me about being a liar who doesn't actually like tacos and is a disagreeable asshole

bull3964 posted:

Annoying as hell.

This is me with my Nexus 6P. It's like I'm listening to a CD player while shaking it.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

I used to have the exact same issue you are describing on my old HTC EVO. I made a Tasker profile that shut off wifi whenever the bluetooth was connected to my car or what ever else. That solved it for me.

I haven't seen it any phone I have owned since then, though.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
First real live actual unfaked images of the Galaxy S8 are out.

https://twitter.com/evleaks/status/824694138809569284

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I'm hurt.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Fake news! There's no way that fingerprint sensor position is real.

Samsung! :argh:

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!
This is almost two weeks old now

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

datajosh posted:

This is almost two weeks old now

Yeah, the tweet even has the date on it (I thought I was going crazy for a minute).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Not only is it two weeks old, it was posted two weeks ago and everyone already made fun of the terrible fingerprint reader position.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
My excuse is that I'm on cough syrup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Syrinxx posted:

I've been on the OP3 for the better part of a year and I just keep waiting for something to be bad about it. I use the hell out of it, games, GPS/running, work vpn, tethering, video, chromecasting, nearly 10 connected BT devices.... but it just doesn't have any issues I have noticed.

I have no personal attachment to this phone model. I go through phones like crazy, about 1-2 a year, and have never had a problem bitching about phones I've had in the past (gently caress you Nexus 5 and MXP). I guess owning the phone that the thread is dogpiling on and being perfectly satisfied with it is some kind of bad thing. :shrug:

It's not like you're going to wake up one night with the phone raping your face, so I'm not sure what you're expecting to happen that will all of a sudden make you recognize their short comings other than reading the thread and seeing that the specific things people have complained about are in fact things the device or company does or doesn't do.