Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

How is KOTOR on mobile? Getting for US $6 instead of AU $14 sounds like a winner to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
Just got a new phone after 7 years with what was a budget phone when I got it. Looking around for more poop break games.

Does anyone still play MtG: Puzzle Quest? What should I be spending my gold shard things on?

Also are there any more recent roguelike/roguelite suggestions? Pixel Dungeon is fine but there's gotta be SOMETHING else fun.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Quad posted:

Also are there any more recent roguelike/roguelite suggestions? Pixel Dungeon is fine but there's gotta be SOMETHING else fun.

Not super recent but Sproggiwood and Wayward Souls are highly regarded here.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Speaking of Wayward Souls...

It's in the mobile bundle too. Just Beat the Average for that one.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Ambition is not a dirty word. Piss on compromise. Go for the throat.
The thing that's annoying me most about this fire emblem game is that if one of your characters die, they lose any experience and levels they had gained that round.

At first I thought the game was buggy and forgetting I levelled, but then I realised the mechanic.

Especially annoying when I've just bumped up my rogues rarity and now he can be one shot by just about anyone because he's level 1 again.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gavinvin posted:

The thing that's annoying me most about this fire emblem game is that if one of your characters die, they lose any experience and levels they had gained that round.

At first I thought the game was buggy and forgetting I levelled, but then I realised the mechanic.

Especially annoying when I've just bumped up my rogues rarity and now he can be one shot by just about anyone because he's level 1 again.

Yeah, the annoying part is that the game dares to have some challenge and actual gameplay. Not the stupid gashapon fuckery.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Yeah, the annoying part is that the game dares to have some challenge and actual gameplay. Not the stupid gashapon fuckery.

It's more the fact that the AI seems to deliberately target characters who have leveled up over ones who would be easier or tactically more advantageous to take out. I've had times where the AI has had the choice between a low health unit of the colour it has advantage over versus another unit who has just levelled and has advantage over it, and it'll still attack the levelled unit.

Its not tactics, its just to get you to buy more currency and level them up outside of battle rather than in battle.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Gavinvin posted:

It's more the fact that the AI seems to deliberately target characters who have leveled up over ones who would be easier or tactically more advantageous to take out. I've had times where the AI has had the choice between a low health unit of the colour it has advantage over versus another unit who has just levelled and has advantage over it, and it'll still attack the levelled unit.

Its not tactics, its just to get you to buy more currency and level them up outside of battle rather than in battle.

Huh, haven't noticed it yet. I felt like they were targeting whoever they had a chance to kill, but I'll keep an eye on that.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe Its just me being paranoid but its drat annoying. Gladly though I seem to be getting a ton of the small gems (for leveling up to 19) by doing the monthly quests. Once you do all the normal level ones you unlock the hard quests and each one gives you 1500 in a specific colour.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Gunman Taco Truck is a new shoot em up/food serving game that's been doing the gaming podcast rounds mainly because it is developed by John Romero and his family.

Also out is Beat Racer, a hybrid endless racer and rhythm game. I played a bit and it seems pretty neat.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

IAmTheRad posted:

https://www.humblebundle.com/mobile/rpgs-mobile-bundle

KOTOR is in the $6 bundle.
Need I say more?

Also Shadowrun Dragonfall, I guess.

yes

what

yes

holy poo poo i want kotor on my phone sign me up

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I dunked through the tutorial of kotor. It works surprisingly well on the phone and is straight up kotor not a hacked down mobile version or anything. Click on objects or people nearby you want to interact with or move by sliding your finger up/down and turn the camera with left/right. It's really intuitive. Not as snappy as a mouse and keyboard, but what can you do?

Also Jesus Christ I had to buy my first ever dedicated graphics card to run that and battlefield 1942 on my big rear end desktop back in 03 and now I'm playing it on something that can fit in my pocket. I feel old! :gonk:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

mrkillboy posted:

Not super recent but Sproggiwood and Wayward Souls are highly regarded here.

Sproggiwood was a lot of fun, but Wayward Souls looks nothing like it. I'm trying to find something turn based like Sproggi or the Pixel Dungeon games.

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Quad posted:

Just got a new phone after 7 years with what was a budget phone when I got it. Looking around for more poop break games.

Does anyone still play MtG: Puzzle Quest? What should I be spending my gold shard things on?

I found Shattered Planet to be a lot of fun.

Sheeple
Nov 1, 2011

ChickenWing posted:

yes

what

yes

holy poo poo i want kotor on my phone sign me up

Just a heads up - Kotor is free on Amazon underground. I'm pretty sure it's the same version as the playstore one.

* Just checked - it is. Full version.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

binge crotching posted:

Sproggiwood was a lot of fun, but Wayward Souls looks nothing like it. I'm trying to find something turn based like Sproggi or the Pixel Dungeon games.

Gumballs and Dungeons is like a combination between a roguelike and a gatcha but actually done really well. Its not very similar to pixel dungeons but it might still scratch the same itch and gets very puzzley and difficult once you get about an hour into it (you just need to put up with the mindless easy start of the game). It got lots of hype in this thread before we've all moved to the dedicated thread now.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
It's a little older, but Cardinal Quest 2 is a fun rogue lite, with shorter session based gameplay.

Puzzle Quest 2 is around too, and it's a neat dungeon crawler bejeweled hybrid, but their transaction model is kinda poo poo.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

KotOR on mobile is weird to control with your finger; I got to the middle before finally giving up and ordered a Bluetooth controller. It looks nice on a tablet, for an Xbox age game on a Fire.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
A mobile spin-off of the action RPG Lords of the Fallen from a few years back is out on the Play Store. Unlike the Dark Souls inspired console game this looks like an Infinity Blade clone however.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

mrkillboy posted:

Gunman Taco Truck is a new shoot em up/food serving game that's been doing the gaming podcast rounds mainly because it is developed by John Romero and his family.

Also out is Beat Racer, a hybrid endless racer and rhythm game. I played a bit and it seems pretty neat.

Is Beat Racer legit? The play store description and reviews are a little sketchy. Is this one of those apps that's going to send all my info to China?

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."

Lowness 72 posted:

Is Beat Racer legit? The play store description and reviews are a little sketchy. Is this one of those apps that's going to send all my info to China?

I'm pretty sure it is legit, the devs (who are Korean according to the credits which might explain the odd english) have put a huge amount of polish into the game for it not to be.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Feb 8, 2017

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
What's the hotness in games? Last game I got in pm was soda dungeon.

crack mayor
Dec 22, 2008

mrkillboy posted:

I've been playing this on and off today. Neat game. Managing your ingredients, cash, gas, and scrap takes some thinking. Nice art, and it looks like it is inspired by a kid from looking at the website.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

crack mayor posted:

I've been playing this on and off today. Neat game. Managing your ingredients, cash, gas, and scrap takes some thinking. Nice art, and it looks like it is inspired by a kid from looking at the website.

His son thought up the game.

Gavinvin
Jan 3, 2013

Onean posted:

Edit: My bad, I missed that socialsecurity actually mentions Duels.

You also get feathers at the end of every Arena duel season, for both your Offense and Defense rank. Offense goes from 100 to 1600, Defense goes from 100 to 500. Right now, after winning three battles, two against Beginner and one against Intermediate, using a team that includes four of the bonus heroes (Though I think you only need one? I'm probably wrong on that.), I'm on track to get 300 from Offense, and from winning one Defense I'm on track to get 300 there as well. There's also rewards for the top 100,000 players, starting at 500 and it goes up to 5000. The current season ends in one day, whether that's tonight or tomorrow I'm not sure, and I also couldn't find how long a season is. If it's one or two weeks, that's a pretty decent reward, but if it's monthly it's not great.

As a side note, it uses your first, or left-most, team for Defense battles, so be sure to set that one up for it.

I just got 10,000 feathers as a sign in bonus today. Guess I'm upgrading a few characters now then.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, they're doing an arena battle bonus event. Check your quests, there should be a new list focused on arena battles that'll let you get even more feathers, and 10 more sword refills in addition to the 10 you already got from logging in during the event.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Splitter Critters is a new puzzle game that sees you slicing up portions of the screen and moving them around to get your critters to the goal. It looks pretty interesting and reminds me a bit of Framed.

Also Lego Batmen Beyond Gotham and DC Superheroes are on sale for 99 cents thanks to the new movie. It looks like Google Play is also using this opportunity to test out some nifty and useful app sale-related interface additions to the market.

mrkillboy fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Feb 11, 2017

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
I'm trying out Pocket Three Kingdoms as Yet Another lovely Gacha Game because I'm a sucker for Three Kingdoms lore, and I'm not entirely impressed. Is there any goon presence there? I doubt it.

Tiny Dice Dungeon and Shattered Planet are next on my At Least They're Free tryout list.

I am getting a lot of mileage out of Polytopia (aka Super Tribes).

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014
Anyone playing Marvel Puzzle Quest? Currently a game I'm using to scratch my "bejewelled" type itch and given how the Marvel Movie universe is planned to continue till the end of time it looks like a good game to invest some time in. Its got PVP and Guilds and what not

dpack_1
Mar 23, 2009

Let another's wounds be your warning

EzEight posted:

Anyone playing Marvel Puzzle Quest? Currently a game I'm using to scratch my "bejewelled" type itch and given how the Marvel Movie universe is planned to continue till the end of time it looks like a good game to invest some time in. Its got PVP and Guilds and what not

It was good about 2 years ago, and then the developers discovered they make more money off of the half a dozen whales than the rest of the playing community just watching occassional ad's for fun bux, so it got mega grindy, the events basically became impossible, and you end up just looping the same 3 or 4 games forever til you give up and wonder what bad choices you made in life to get to that point.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

dpack_1 posted:

It was good about 2 years ago, and then the developers discovered they make more money off of the half a dozen whales than the rest of the playing community just watching occassional ad's for fun bux, so it got mega grindy, the events basically became impossible, and you end up just looping the same 3 or 4 games forever til you give up and wonder what bad choices you made in life to get to that point.

They added some HUGE quality of life improvements this year.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
You should be playing Dandy Dungeon. All of you. And one of you should start a thread with a giant OP so I know what combination of women's underwear, poop helmets, and schoolboy outfits make the best armor sets.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.

FistEnergy posted:

You should be playing Dandy Dungeon. All of you. And one of you should start a thread with a giant OP so I know what combination of women's underwear, poop helmets, and schoolboy outfits make the best armor sets.

It seemed like a lovely, un-fun collection of maze style mini-games, so...no :shrug:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Coldforge posted:

It seemed like a lovely, un-fun collection of maze style mini-games, so...no :shrug:

Yeah it wasn't worth the hassle of side loading

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Dandy Dungeons started out charming and funny, but it all falls apart when you realise that all dungeons are of the same size, and the only challenge you might encounter, provided your gear is grind-upgraded sufficiently, is when you sometimes need a specific item to beat the dungeon. So you fail it once, get the item, fail again because your equipment is not strong enough, grind previous dungeons that are supposed to be bloody puzzles and therefore constitute no challenge after the first completion, beat the dungeon, and repeat again with a new dungeon. The gameplay does not evolve, which is ironic for a game where the main character creates a game and incrementally makes it better. There are things like special maps and bosses leveling up, but it's still the same thing over and over again.

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
I'd like Dandy Dungeon a lot more if I could actually, you know, connect to the server and play it.

EzEight
Jan 21, 2014

Paladinus posted:

Dandy Dungeons started out charming and funny, but it all falls apart when you realise that all dungeons are of the same size, and the only challenge you might encounter, provided your gear is grind-upgraded sufficiently, is when you sometimes need a specific item to beat the dungeon. So you fail it once, get the item, fail again because your equipment is not strong enough, grind previous dungeons that are supposed to be bloody puzzles and therefore constitute no challenge after the first completion, beat the dungeon, and repeat again with a new dungeon. The gameplay does not evolve, which is ironic for a game where the main character creates a game and incrementally makes it better. There are things like special maps and bosses leveling up, but it's still the same thing over and over again.

Yeah its boring as bricks, late game pretty much amounts to grinding enough gold and praying you get enough ores to level up your set of armor which will no doubt be out classed as soon as you pass the stage that made you grind in the first place. I bought the ducks and I can tell you infinite stamina is meaningless when you runs consist of stage one over and over again.

dpack_1 posted:

Yeah thats what I heard, still in the RPG Bejeweled category this is pretty much the only quality game there is. The new WWE Champions game is pretty much Marvel Puzzle Quest Year one with the paywalls.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe

MachineryNoise posted:

I'd like Dandy Dungeon a lot more if I could actually, you know, connect to the server and play it.

It only works for me about 20% of the time. Uninstalled it.

the auschwitz diet
Mar 19, 2004
I toast mine own alcoholism

EzEight posted:

Yeah thats what I heard, still in the RPG Bejeweled category this is pretty much the only quality game there is. The new WWE Champions game is pretty much Marvel Puzzle Quest Year one with the paywalls.

Gems of War is pretty OK, if a bit arcane. It's relatively friendly to f2p (no ads, takes quite some time to hit any real grinds) and is a good match 3 fix. There is a thread and some goon clans. I'd probably still be playing regularly if I wasn't enjoying Gumballs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Huh. I'm loving Dandy Dungeon - especially the sound effects - and I think it has a fun, Earthbound-y feel. I'm enjoying the RPG elements and I haven't had any problems connecting to the server