Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.
My first distinct memory of "Hey this movie sucks!" was Independence Day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The first movie I remember identifying as being bad was Beethoven's 2nd, which also the only thing I remember about it outside of a single shot of single shot if Charles Grodin running while yelling "puppies!"

Death By The Blues
Oct 30, 2011

CPL593H posted:

O poo poo remember Godzilla 98 being turrible too.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

CPL593H posted:

ID4 was the first movie I ever remember liking and then realizing actually sucked upon rewatched

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i hated all kinds of movies from the point of, say, looking back on my 6-year-old tastes from the lofty heights of age 9

my awakening would've been the moment where i knew something was "bad" and loved it anyways, so probably watching Godzilla vs. Megalon and just absolutely adoring it for what it was

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I remember that embarrassing point where I was savvy enough to get that the live action Batman show was stupid, but too dumb to understand it was supposed to be. I just thought TV had come really far since the 60s.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
o fuckin poo poo

(Japanese Kong: Skull Island poster. Apparently. I just saw it on reddit. Ran here to tell everyone I know.)

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I rented Rawhead Rex as a kid based on the giant monster aspect and I realized halfway through that despite said giant monster, that this film truly sucked. A confusing time.

I imagine I'd get myself nice and liquored up now and possibly enjoy it on some level.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hat Thoughts posted:

Has any1 seen Cinema Twain, Val Kilmer's filmed version of his one-man play where (as far as I can tell) he basically does stand-up as Mark Twain.

No, but that sounds amazing. Got a link?

NotWritten
Dec 13, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjhNxG6ll2c

CINEMA | TWAIN

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

My parents and I would talk about the movie we saw in the car ride home from the theatre so I don't remember a time when I thought that movies were always great because there was always good and bad about each one we saw.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Lurdiak posted:

I remember that embarrassing point where I was savvy enough to get that the live action Batman show was stupid, but too dumb to understand it was supposed to be. I just thought TV had come really far since the 60s.

I think every kid in the 90s had this exact same experience.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Proof of how much of a moron i am is how often i click the General Movie Chat thread and read it as GenChat for like a page or more

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
The first movie I remember disliking was The Indian in the Cupboard when I was 10, I thought the kid in it was a whiny loser.

First time I remember defending a film was a year later when my grandma took my cousin and I to see The Cable Guy, which I enjoyed and they both hated.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

CPL593H posted:

Same

I mean I had seen other movies I didn't like but that was the first one where I was straight up appalled by how much I hated it.

I like it more now because a lot of my complaints were pretty lame back then but still.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Jenny Angel posted:

[unsheathes a longsword] Shakes at McDonald's have domed lids, while soft drinks have flat ones

I'm glad they don't have that here, I don't want people knowing I still only drink strawberry milkshakes

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'm in a seminar thing all day about mosquitos and so far the only notes I took are "aedes larvae breathe thru their butt lmao"

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
I remember always disliking Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2.
Some secrets should never be known.

ID4 owned then, as it does now.

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I'm in a seminar thing all day about mosquitos and so far the only notes I took are "aedes larvae breathe thru their butt lmao"

Also true of Sea Cucumbers.

Lobok posted:

My parents and I would talk about the movie we saw in the car ride home from the theatre so I don't remember a time when I thought that movies were always great because there was always good and bad about each one we saw.

Pretty dope parents tbh.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I definitely remember being vaguely revolted by Jingle All The Way, which is weird because it's actually the best movie.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I can't remember the first movie on TV that I thought truly sucked, but in the theatre the one I remember was Identity.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Baby's Day Out came out in '94 so I must have been eight. My mother took me to see it on a rainy day and I have a very vivid memory of realizing that I was way too old for this and none of it was funny, as a younger kid two rows up howled at the film from front to back. It's definitely the moment I learned that movies could be bad.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Death By The Blues posted:

The first movie I remember being bad was Masters of Disguise or Cats & Dogs (as bad as a movie that has Goldblum can be).

The Master of Disguise is a loving crime against humanity

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The Master of Disguise is a loving crime against humanity

I remember that movie being a running joke in my family. Not any of the lines, just the title and the main character's name.

Also never forget that the turtle club scene was filmed on 9/11.

E: I think I actually liked it at the time. The first movie I remember really disliking was the third Spy Kids movie.

I Before E fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Feb 7, 2017

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Checking in as "Master of Disguise was the first time I consciously realized movies can be bad" crew.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I Before E posted:

Also never forget that the turtle club scene was filmed on 9/11.

A new contender for "worst thing ever to happen on 9/11"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
lovely music you like update: Besides Coheed & Cambria, another band whose music lends itself really well to Vitamin String Quartet's mediocrity is R.E.M.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

K. Waste posted:

lovely music you like update: Besides Coheed & Cambria, another band whose music lends itself really well to Vitamin String Quartet's mediocrity is R.E.M.

One of my friends walked down the aisle to a VSQ cover of a Paramore song. *exaggerated tugging of collar*

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've never it but Master of Disguise's names must be really unique becausr it's seems to have endured, even if it's only as a punchline, unusually long in the cultural consciousness

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
I loved The Master of Disguise as a kid, despite everyone telling me it was terrible. I was always a contrarian kid. But I was also an idiot. Ten years later I got high and decided to watch it. The badness of the film, combined with how wrong I realized I had been, nearly gave me an anxiety attack.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

K. Waste posted:

You shut your mouth about R.E.M.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

Master of Disguise is one of those movies I'll never have to see cause I already know the turtle scene from the trailer

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
Pistachio Disguisey

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
When I was young I remember liking a lovely Dana Carvey that no one has ever heard of (called Blank Slate) so maybe we all just go through a phase where we enjoy bad Dana carvey moveis.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

A new contender for "worst thing ever to happen on 9/11"

It's tied with the release of Silver Side Up.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Budgie Jumping posted:

You shut your mouth about R.E.M.

Oh go stand in the place where you live about it

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
REM, like U2, is one of those bands that used to be the coolest thing in the world and now are sort of the lamest thing in the world.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
REM's first few albums are incredible, but Stand is a cloying piece of poo poo.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

glam rock hamhock posted:

When I was young I remember liking a lovely Dana Carvey that no one has ever heard of (called Blank Slate) so maybe we all just go through a phase where we enjoy bad Dana carvey moveis.
I distinctly remember watching this movie one night on nbc as a kid and I really only remember it because I couldn't exactly follow the plot, and my dad made Carvey's character's name an in-joke to himself because he just thought it was so darn peculiar, and also there was the disproportionately hot love interest.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Hbomberguy posted:

I'm glad they don't have that here, I don't want people knowing I still only drink strawberry milkshakes

My dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

X-Ray Pecs posted:

REM's first few albums are incredible, but Stand is a cloying piece of poo poo.

I like the yeah yeah yeah yeah song because I never remember the words but I know when to say yeah yeah yeah yeah

• Locked thread