Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
Sadly, at this point you have every right to be frustrated. It really, really should not take this long to get wave 1 out. I can only guess how far off fulfilling wave 2 is. :(

But hey, at least you have a good game to look forwards to when it does eventually reach you.

I think I had a dream last night that Hawk announced their next kickstarter. Can't remember what it was but I facepalmed. In my dreams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
So I've got a couple problems related to Dropzone rather than Dropfleet.

First, I was looking through my backlog of models and noticed that the plastic UCM Condors I had all have the same slight bend in the spine. Is this a common thing? Given that I assembled them without noticing it, is there anything I can do about it?

Second, the points change on the Overseer has messed with my list a bit.
Currently, I have:

quote:

Clash: 1492/1500 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [1492/1500 pts]
    • Oppressors[260 pts]
      • Overseer: Overseer(Master) [260 pts]
    • Vanguard[399 pts]
      • Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Despoiler [189 pts]
      • ^ Sharing ^ Hunter Squad: 6x Hunter [210 pts]
    • Warriors[237 pts]
      • Warrior Horde: 3x Warriors, Marauder, 2x Invader [156 pts]
      • ^ Sharing ^ Warrior Horde: 3x Warriors [81 pts]
    • Warriors[204 pts]
      • Warrior Horde: 2x Warriors, Intruder Alpha [94 pts]
      • Screamers: Screamer, Raider [110 pts]
    • Occupation Patrol[196 pts]
      • Monitors: 4x Monitor, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
      • Destroyers: 2x Destroyers, Intruder Alpha [140 pts]
    • Occupation Patrol[196 pts]
      • Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]

FFoR has the old points value for the Overseer, so I'm actually 7 points over. I'm not really sure what to do here.

quote:

Clash: 1485/1500 points
Standard Army
  • Standard Roster [1485/1500 pts]
    • Oppressors[260 pts]
      • Overseer: Overseer(Master) [260 pts]
    • Vanguard[304 pts]
      • Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
      • Reaper Squad: 3x Reaper, Marauder [158 pts]
    • Vanguard[146 pts]
      • Hunter Squad: 3x Hunter, Marauder [146 pts]
    • Warriors[237 pts]
      • Warrior Horde: 3x Warriors, Marauder, 2x Invader [156 pts]
      • ^ Sharing ^ Warrior Horde: 3x Warriors [81 pts]
    • Occupation Patrol[306 pts]
      • Monitors: 4x Monitor, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
      • Screamers: Screamer, Raider [110 pts]
    • Occupation Patrol[232 pts]
      • Minders: 4x Minder, Intruder Beta [56 pts]
      • Prowlers: 4x Prowler [36 pts]

I'd need to buy and paint an extra Marauder, which I'm not sure I want to do. I'm fine with picking up some prowlers though, they're cute little guys.

If I need to play before I pick some stuff up I'll just use a lower CV most likely.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
What about putting your warriors into light dropships? That usually shaves a few points off.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

What about putting your warriors into light dropships? That usually shaves a few points off.

I'm certain it would, but I have a tremendous fear of being light dropship sniped that's probably unjustified, since the one player who uses air-to-air fast movers is heading to a different country soon.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

The main thing is to keep your dropships protected by your AA until the troops are landed. Plus you will typically get free reign for the first turn against fast movers as your opponent needs to roll a 6 for reserves.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

you mean there's a ground version of this game??? *knocks phoenix off desk*

I'm actually kinda keen on getting a 'Zone game in, haven't played it in ages.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

I don't have five light dropships for troops, so I'd have to grab another set.

Hmm.

Also I'm trying to decide if I want to paint my remaining four Scourge cruisers or my KS battlecruisers for my oath this month. I'm really not sure which.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Ugleb posted:

The main thing is to keep your dropships protected by your AA until the troops are landed. Plus you will typically get free reign for the first turn against fast movers as your opponent needs to roll a 6 for reserves.

Lessons to learn yourself.......

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Grey Hunter posted:

Lessons to learn yourself.......

There is a difference between knowing what you did wrong and resisting temptation to try it again. Plus it is the durability of medium dropships I overestimate.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Ugleb posted:

It's pretty fun shooting down a dropship and murdering everything it was carrying.

It's weird going from the Reaper AAGT to the Gunwagons as AA, I realise now that I play extremely aggressively because Scourge was my first army and now I'm obessed with charging around with a lot of fast vehicles because it's great.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Recoome posted:

It's pretty fun shooting down a dropship and murdering everything it was carrying.

It breaks my shrivelled heart to not put an Athena in all my lists.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out

Ugleb posted:

It breaks my shrivelled heart to not put an Athena in all my lists.

That's funny, I've been unable to build a list without a warspear recently.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Mad Max gibbering horde resistance is best resistance.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Got a response from Hawk. Apparently all Commander pledges have been shipped, so they will have to look into why I don't have mine. I don't know if I'll be the last to receive their pledge, but I'll be the last commander.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

YF19pilot posted:

Got a response from Hawk. Apparently all Commander pledges have been shipped, so they will have to look into why I don't have mine. I don't know if I'll be the last to receive their pledge, but I'll be the last commander.

Yikes. Probably they sent it to your old address or something.

Anyway, I've become less sure about Shaltari ships work after re-reading the rulebook. The top save value is what I use when the shields are down, right?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

The First of the Adorable Dead

wdarkk posted:

Anyway, I've become less sure about Shaltari ships work after re-reading the rulebook. The top save value is what I use when the shields are down, right?

When shields are down you have a 5+ save, when they are up you have a 4+ save assuming I have the numbers right. I don't think there is a case where the worse save is when shields are up.

Renfield
Feb 29, 2008

wdarkk posted:

If the shields are Up, you can use the passive countermeasures - but don't have to - the example on page 47 has the ship taking 3+ armour saves against normal hits, and 4+ passive saves against critical hits that normally ignore armour - in the same attack.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

Loxbourne posted:

Mad Max gibbering horde resistance is best resistance.

The Lifthawk Berserkerbox looks loving sick

e: The problem I have with my current list is actually fitting the Lifthawk Bezerkers in (at the Clash level). This is my current list
code:
Recoome's Clash Resistance
Clash: 1482/1500 points
Standard Army
	Feral Resistance Standard (Resistance Standard) [1482/1500 pts]
		Warlord's HQ [353 pts]
			Gun Technicals: 6x Gun Technical, NT-1 Kraken [98 pts]
			Alexander: M3 Alexander(Leader), AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [255 pts]
		Vehicle Detachment [211 pts]
			Gun Wagons: 3x Gun Wagon, NT-1 Kraken [113 pts]
			Rocket Technicals: 6x Rocket Technical, NT-1 Kraken [98 pts]
		Vehicle Detachment [196 pts]
			Rocket Technicals: 6x Rocket Technical, NT-1 Kraken [98 pts]
			Gun Technicals: 6x Gun Technical, NT-1 Kraken [98 pts]
		Resistance Band [244 pts]
			Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters, AT-77 Lifthawk, 3x MT-90 Jackson [148 pts]
			^ Sharing ^ Fighters: 2x Resistance Fighters [48 pts]
		Resistance Band [208 pts]
			Berserkers: 2x Berserkers, NT-1 Kraken, 2x Battle Bus(+Heavy Machine Gun Battery) [160 pts]
		Rusted Fist [270 pts]
			Hannibals: 2x M9 Hannibal, AT-77 Lifthawk(+AA Cannon) [150 pts]
			Cyclones: 2x AH-16 Cyclone [120 pts]
I basically went for a fuckload of Technicals with Gun Technicals acting as Scouts for command cards and Cyclones. The issue that I have with Berserkers is that Exotics are harder to come by for Troops as it limits the amount of MFBs/ATVS and poo poo, and I don't think Berserkers are as good as those choices really (they are more on par with better melee troops at the expense of being able to hold/take objectives).

Recoome fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 9, 2017

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

wdarkk posted:

I've got like two sets of eyes on my old address, and there's been no sign. I'll go down and visit next weekend, but I've got no faith in it being there.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
I just got my shipping notice today so make of that what you will. I had to write them a few times, and first response was a generic email saying all pledges were shipped. They seriously need to work on communications if they do anything like this again.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Yay, my Dropfleet pledge JUST showed up today. Hopefully it has everything in it that its supposed to. If you haven't gotten anything from them yet definitely email them again.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Huzzah! I wonder if wave 1 might be finally done by March 1st...

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Well, which year are we talking about? :v:

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Another KS update. Apparently Wave 2 will be shipping soon (which is good, because goddamn those third party maps jump in price when I say I'm not in the UK).

ZachAttack
Mar 17, 2009

Malevolent Hatform
Nap Ghost
I still have my kickstarter bonus shaltari sprues (1 cruiser and 2 frigate sprues total) that I will never use. Anyone interested in a trade? Preferably for UCM, but I could do PHR or just money as well.

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

wdarkk posted:

Another KS update. Apparently Wave 2 will be shipping soon (which is good, because goddamn those third party maps jump in price when I say I'm not in the UK).

Well, here's hoping the paper mats don't suck! I was really starting to think they just weren't going to happen.

Incy
May 30, 2006
for other Out
If you can stomach spending that much on a mat, get one of the deep cut mousemat ones. They ship from the Baltic states so could be convenient, or inconvenient depending on where you are.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Ugleb posted:

Huzzah! I wonder if wave 1 might be finally done by March 1st...

We'll see. I got a response from my last email, but no shipping info yet.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Ugleb posted:

Well, here's hoping the paper mats don't suck! I was really starting to think they just weren't going to happen.

The paper mat in the starter set is getting a little worn on the folds after like four games with it. Here's hoping they can do better.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

wdarkk posted:

The paper mat in the starter set is getting a little worn on the folds after like four games with it. Here's hoping they can do better.

That's the worry, they may not be durable enough - the card tiles for Dropzone are fine, as they are stored flat, but once you start folding stuff, it wears out faster.

We'll see, but a deepcut mat may well be the way to go.

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

wdarkk posted:

I will believe they are shipping soon when they start actually shipping. Last time they told us they were shipping soon it took like 4 months for them even to start... They are still waiting for something...

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I asked a while back, but what's the faction calculus like for this? Lookswise I dig the UCM and PHR stuff, but what's the playstyle breakdown like?

Pash
Sep 10, 2009

spectralent posted:

I asked a while back, but what's the faction calculus like for this? Lookswise I dig the UCM and PHR stuff, but what's the playstyle breakdown like?

UCM has great burn through lasers, are are generally decent at everything.
PHR is supposed to be about broadsides, but turns out that did not work well. Therefore the faction is about having awesome bombers and maybe just spamming some burnthroughs.
Scourge is amazing at close action, thats about all I know, their carriers seem pretty good.
Someone else will have to help you will Shaltari.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I am kinda saddened that PHR Broadsides need a little help. Thematically its my favorite faction gimmick. Their bombers are rad, and they can easily cap out their launch asset limit.

Cyborg bombers for life!

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
PHR broadsides are perfectly capable so long as you point the right ones at the right targets. They need their calibre bonus to shine.

Shaltari are dependable damage that can hit you anywhere. They whittle targets down with 3 or 4 guaranteed damage every turn, whilst playing keep-away. The infuriatingly gittish faction.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Loxbourne posted:

PHR broadsides are perfectly capable so long as you point the right ones at the right targets. They need their calibre bonus to shine.

Shaltari are dependable damage that can hit you anywhere. They whittle targets down with 3 or 4 guaranteed damage every turn, whilst playing keep-away. The infuriatingly gittish faction.

There's a few ships that have trouble getting their weapons on target, like the Hector and its maximal slow-assedness.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Close action being boarding?

What's the role of carriers? I admit I missed that bit.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

spectralent posted:

Close action being boarding?

What's the role of carriers? I admit I missed that bit.

Close action is basically "things that have an actual maximum range" like missiles and plasma cannons.

Carriers use bombers to hit things that are too sneaky/far away to hit normally, or just to pile a lot of damage on something. They can also use fighters to protect against other carriers' bombers or the close-action weapons of enemies.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Close Action is a catch-all term for short ranged weapons, depending on the faction it can be missiles, drones, weird plasma clouds or microwave cannon and things like that. The only boarding that happens in the game is that as Scourge you can launch giant torpedoes full of razorworms from one of your battleships.

Carriers can either send out bombers that do damage and aren't bound by the usual sensor range rules or they can launch fighters that defend against bombers and close action weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

Got around to watching this 'interview' from Orbital Bombardment with Hawk Sean today. Had I realised it is less than 2 minutes long I would not have put it off!

[video type="youtu"]M2onUWCSOm8[/video]

That sounded like Sean was trying really hard not to say 'Dropzone Commander 2nd Edition'! Pointing out that the game is 4 years old and due for "a bit of a lift" strongly suggests it to me.

The only other thing I can think of is the introduction of a new faction. Or both? Although it was previously suggested that the next faction would likely come to Dropfleet first.

So, my 2017 prediction is that we will see Dropzone 2.0 launching in the second half of the year with a Dropfleet expansion early 2018 introducing a new faction that will then arrive in Dropzone later on in 2018.

Dropzone 2.0 will be a general rules clean up and rebalancing aiming to make the few dud units (Menchit A1, all apcs) viable options while laying groundwork for the new faction.