Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

The problem people have in this thread is seeing Brexit voters as reasonable human beings and not violent animals that want anyone not white and english dead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

jabby posted:

Fields are great when they're growing crops or full of cows/sheep/etc. Most green belt land isn't like that.

I'm sure I've had this argument here before but [citation needed] because most of London's Green Belt is farmland, and in the case of Essex and Kent is some of the most intensively-farmed land in the country.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Pantsuit posted:

The problem people have in this thread is seeing Brexit voters as reasonable human beings and not violent animals that want anyone not white and english dead.

That's either an awful lot of turkeys voting for Christmas, or maybe politics is a lot more nuanced than WE GOOD THEY BAD

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

Nah, it isn't. Time to dehumanize your political opponents and face to bloodshed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They pretty bad, though.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's either an awful lot of turkeys voting for Christmas, or maybe politics is a lot more nuanced than WE GOOD THEY BAD

First off, sample size of the non-white portions of that survey is awful.

Secondly, those communities were hopeful ahead of Brexit that it may improve relations with their countries of origin, or by the lies told about the NHS (and before anyone steps in Pissflaps to challenge that, no I don't mean literally all of them, but both those aspects are highly relevant for those communities.)

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Pantsuit posted:

Tess.....

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

mehall posted:

Secondly, those communities were hopeful ahead of Brexit that it may improve relations with their countries of origin, or by the lies told about the NHS (and before anyone steps in Pissflaps to challenge that, no I don't mean literally all of them, but both those aspects are highly relevant for those communities.)

I know, I was simply pointing out that there were reasons beyond KILL THE DARKIES why people voted Leave. They might not have been good reasons, but treating all Leave voters as an homogenous morass made from 100% recycled Daily Mail headlines is exactly the sort of thinking that got us into this position in the first place.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

mehall posted:

Or were told that the EU was full of violent animals that want anyone not white and european dead.

Which given the coverage of PEGIDA marches, Marine Le Pen and burkini bans, and the governments in Hungary and Poland, and that guy from Eastern Europe who came over and murdered a Muslim pensioner and tried to bomb mosques to start a race war, it wasn't the hardest sell.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Pochoclo posted:

Sorry, yes, I know Aberdeen is not the absolute cheapest place, but it's the cheapest reasonable sized city with reasonable facilities and services with a good quality of life.

Last time I looked, Aberdeen was literally the most expensive place to live in the UK outside of London. Source: living in Aberdeen since 1990.

I will also attest that Roseberry Topping is not a mountain, having walked up it then walked a further 34 miles in the same day.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)

Jedit posted:

I will also attest that Roseberry Topping is not a mountain, having walked up it then walked a further 34 miles in the same day.

What are you, a Roman legion?

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry
JFC, again, it's the place that gathers these conditions:
- Cheapest to *buy real estate in*, not necessarily live in (I live in London already)
- Has a decent QOL/Safety index (so, not Glasgow or Birmingham)
- Is a city with decent infrastructure and facilities

I mean if you know of a place with cheaper real estate that also has a better safety/QOL rating, I'm all ears

I won't buy real estate in the UK anyway - you guys already want my filthy EU rear end out, so it'll probably be Berlin or Amsterdam or who knows.
In most cases you can't even buy the actual property - it's that leasehold poo poo.

Pochoclo fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 7, 2017

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I unironically want to win the lottery and retire to live in a renovated castle or fort in Cumbria, where I can eat Kendall Mint Cake and Grasmere Gingerbread for every meal of every day and throw eggs off the parapets at poor people passing by.

Also, I would paint the whole thing pink with yellow polkadots just to ruin the view for everyone.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Richard Seymour has done a little on the figures behind that infographic about Labour voters on Brexit; turns out that it's still complicated!

http://www.leninology.co.uk/2017/02/brexit-labour-voters-and-working-class.html

Anyway, there's don't knows all over the place no matter what ends up happening so it's up to Labour to make their case to the public rather than any course dooming them to oblivion.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Labour does not have a case to make.

Edit: :siren: Abbott has recovered from her migraine :siren:

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 7, 2017

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

jabby posted:

As people have pointed out, there's still plenty of countryside elsewhere for people who want to go see it.

I have no personal attachment to the green belt, but I have two objections to this. One is that countryside that's further away is harder for poor people to enjoy. And the other is that habitat loss is a leading cause of our environmental impoverishment.

If we replaced the green belt with better protection for biodiversity and popular access, I'd be happy. But as things are - is giving property developers more power really the best solution to our housing problem? It looks awfully like the sort of solution people propose because better ones involve inconveniencing the rich.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
For the people in this thread parroting the tired old "Concreting over the countryside!" meme:

The proportion of Britain that's "ruined" by being covered by houses, roads etc. is..... less than 2.5%.

No, not 25%. Two-point-five percent.

See 'the great myth of urban Britain':

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18623096

And no, the Green Belt is not being "nibbled away". In the last 20 years, how much do you think the green belt has shrunk? 10%? 30%?

No, less than 1%.

1997: 1,652,310 hectares designated green belt.
2015: 1,636,620 hectares designated green belt.

About 13% of all the land in Britain is green belt; in some places it's expanding.

Sources:

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/local-authority-green-belt-statistics-for-england-2010-to-2011
http://researchbriefings.parliament.uk/ResearchBriefing/Summary/SN00934

No we are not concreting over the countryside, no we are not running out of land, no we are not going to disappear under a carpet of suburban sprawl if we ever relax our vigilance for one single second. The widespread and deeply felt belief that this IS happening, in the face of the most basic and easily available evidence to the contrary, is one of the things that I find most baffling about 21st century Britain. That many people who are in a desperate housing situation themselves hold these beliefs is just incredible.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The other statisitc I heard that may be wrong is that there is more land in Surrey that is used as golf course than is used as housing.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Oh dear me posted:

I have no personal attachment to the green belt, but I have two objections to this. One is that countryside that's further away is harder for poor people to enjoy. And the other is that habitat loss is a leading cause of our environmental impoverishment.

If we replaced the green belt with better protection for biodiversity and popular access, I'd be happy. But as things are - is giving property developers more power really the best solution to our housing problem? It looks awfully like the sort of solution people propose because better ones involve inconveniencing the rich.

You're absolutely right that having the countryside further away makes it harder for poor people who already live in the city to enjoy. It's just that having houses, especially houses closer to the city, is more important for a greater number of people.

As for giving property developers more power, I would be far happier if councils built social housing on the green belt. I have no love for developers. But we can't solve our housing crisis without massive housebuilding and there simply aren't enough brownfield sites for that to be realistic.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

OwlFancier posted:

The other statisitc I heard that may be wrong is that there is more land in Surrey that is used as golf course than is used as housing.

I believe that is actually true if things like grounds/gardens and the necessary road infrastructure weren't included.

Something that occurred to me while listening to all this stuff on the radio. What would happen if the government decried that all land currently with planning permission but not being built upon had a 5 year time limit before defaulting to the government, and that any houses built on said land would be barred to sale for a period of 15 years to anyone who wasn't a first time buyer?

I mean it would never happen, but...

serious gaylord fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Feb 7, 2017

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Pistol_Pete posted:

The proportion of Britain that's "ruined" by being covered by houses, roads etc. is..... less than 2.5%.

No, not 25%. Two-point-five percent.

That is a really dishonest figure. Over 10% of England is urban. Yes, urban areas contain many thousands of little bits of greenery, but this is not countryside. It is limited in the species it can sustain. Many species require a range of contiguous land and having it broken up by human roads etc threatens their existence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Higher density housing around mass transit hubs would make suburbs more practical.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Basically would my idea gently caress the country by causing a house price crash or would it actually have the opposite effect of making the remaining housing stock skyrocket as hungry landlords pillage it?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Pochoclo posted:

JFC, again, it's the place that gathers these conditions:
- Cheapest to *buy real estate in*, not necessarily live in (I live in London already)
- Has a decent QOL/Safety index (so, not Glasgow or Birmingham)
- Is a city with decent infrastructure and facilities

I mean if you know of a place with cheaper real estate that also has a better safety/QOL rating, I'm all ears

I won't buy real estate in the UK anyway - you guys already want my filthy EU rear end out, so it'll probably be Berlin or Amsterdam or who knows.
In most cases you can't even buy the actual property - it's that leasehold poo poo.

You post like you have more money than sense. I'm sorry our countries decent into horror is making ruining your real estate plans.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Starmer withdrawing the Labour amendment was well stupid

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The whole enterprise has been a farce.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mehall posted:

Secondly, those communities were hopeful ahead of Brexit that it may improve relations with their countries of origin

Well, more specifically that if white people coming over from the EU couldn't get here so easily, people would chill out about immigration from outside the EU (which my wife has done this and no poo poo it's hard/expensive) and the government would stop cracking down on non-EU immigration quite so hard (as it has been doing since that's all it can control) and let more brown people in from the Commonwealth. Lol if you think this will actually happen in rainy fascist 'friend of the family for a neighbour' Britain, but that's where a lot of them were understandably coming from.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Pistol_Pete posted:

Oh dear me posted:

That is a really dishonest figure. Over 10% of England is urban. Yes, urban areas contain many thousands of little bits of greenery, but this is not countryside.
I think both of these figures might be true.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Pantsuit posted:

Nah, I know loads of people who're just credulous idiots who believe anything that's printed is true.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There was a man at work today haranguing everyone in the shop about how everything he didn't like was because it wasn't British and if it was British it would all be better.

Which I'm not sure is true in the case of the POS machine.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

OwlFancier posted:

There was a man at work today haranguing everyone in the shop about how everything he didn't like was because it wasn't British and if it was British it would all be better.

Which I'm not sure is true in the case of the POS machine.

Well er, hopefully he wasn't referring to the staff at least?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is it bad i keep looking at just how hosed up things are in america right now and being glad we're not quite that awful?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I used to encounter "the mad spar Lady". She used to come in once a week and rant and rave all this heavy Nazi stuff for half an hour and walk out again while everyone in there completely ignored her. They used to call the police but the response time was an hour and she would preach for longer.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

namesake posted:

Well er, hopefully he wasn't referring to the staff at least?

I hope not. We don't have many people who aren't from round here though so I didn't get to test the hypothesis.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

Guavanaut posted:

I think both of these figures might be true.

No. 6.8% of the UK’s land area was classified as urban in 2012. 8% was under "artificial surfaces" in 2015. And

quote:

"roughly every decade an area the size of Rutland is taken out of agricultural and forestry land use – or converted from a wetland, although this is not one of the dominant changes in area – to artificial surfaces"

Oh dear me fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 7, 2017

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

The first concession is in

https://twitter.com/paulwaugh/status/828978130912235523

But didn't May already promise to do this in her speech?

I don't think so. She promised to bring the final Brexit deal to a vote in parliament, but the vision she had for this was a fait accompli after ratification by the European parliament, where there was no opportunity for meaningful change.

The concession here is that parliament now has the authority to agree or reject her negotiated position before it gets voted on by Europe, which means changes to her negotiated position can still be demanded by parliament. The timing is still going to restrict the scope of the changes, but it's a significant concession.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Namtab posted:

Tess.....

*rises from the sewers* rruuauuarrgh

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Oh dear me posted:

No. 6.8% of the UK’s land area was classified as urban in 2012.

If I might be permitted to quote further, from the VERY link that you posted.....

quote:

“6.8% of the UK’s land area is now classified as urban”. It should also be noted that they include all rural development and roads as “urban” in their assessment! Broken down across the UK the urban landscape comprises 10.6% of England, 1.9% of Scotland, 3.6% of Northern Ireland and 4.1% of Wales.The report breaks this down further and suggests that over half the land classed as urban is in fact greenspace (54% in England), comprising of sports fields, urban parklands, allotments etc. The report goes on to suggest that for England “78.6% of urban areas is designated as natural rather than built” when one includes domestic gardens, roadside verges, canals, rivers, lakes and reservoirs. This then leaves only 2.27% of the English landscape actually being built on, a staggering figure which runs contrary to all popular perceptions of the United Kingdom as possessing largely over-urbanised, post-industrial landscapes.

My "less than 2.5%" stands :smug:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
*takes the dog for a walk down the riverside and around the local reservoir*

"Gosh, I hate these urban environments!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

What's wrong with post-industrial landscapes, I live in one and I like it fine :colbert:

• Locked thread