Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I haven't seen many WHF bases that are swampy, but I feel like it would fit the Nurgle champion pretty well. Could even have some fun sculpting colored shrooms to break up the green :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

Progresss on archoflagellants and Sgt. Angel. Normal archos are getting the same kind af claws as mr. Angel.

Everything still looks lumpy as hell, but it's fun to be back :)

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

HardCoil posted:

Progresss on archoflagellants and Sgt. Angel. Normal archos are getting the same kind af claws as mr. Angel.

drat that's coming along well and instantly recognizable.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

HardCoil posted:

These are looking decent, much better than any of my attempts at sculpting so far! You gonna include any of the other Angels?

Horace-Noah
Mar 30, 2012

The Oath Breaker about to hit warphead nine Kaptain!

ijyt posted:

Painted up this fat lad over the weekend, I'm usually not one to boast but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Just need to figure out what scenic base to do for him!

:drat:

Yeah. That's something to be very proud of.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

Floppychop posted:

My favorite things to sticky-tack minis to are those rectangular containers that chessex dice come in. They're big enough that you grab them with most of your hand.

They also have the added benefit that you can stick the mini to the lid and flip the lid around to protect the mini inside the case if you need to be mobile.

Extra added benefit to Chessex boxes: Stick a magnet on the base of your miniature, glue a steel washer on the underside of the lid, and you've got an instant storage/display case for that mini.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

HardCoil posted:

Um, IDK why you're sculpting this, don't you know Hasslefree already makes a miniature of Sgt. Angel?
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=officer-nick~hfa032&category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-adventurers

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Is 5 psi an acceptable drop between static and working pressure for an airbrush? Seems like a rather large one if it reduces it by 25% from 20->15. I don't feel nor hear any leaks and I've covered the connections previously leaking with teflon tape. This is with a patriot 105 and tc-910, as I assume the different nozzle sizes will be variable.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Chill la Chill posted:

Is 5 psi an acceptable drop between static and working pressure for an airbrush? Seems like a rather large one if it reduces it by 25% from 20->15. I don't feel nor hear any leaks and I've covered the connections previously leaking with teflon tape. This is with a patriot 105 and tc-910, as I assume the different nozzle sizes will be variable.

That's how mine works. If I want to work at 20psi I set 25psi max and it drops when I start spraying. Admittedly I'm only doing priming and base-coating, so take it for what it is.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's a 5psi drop no matter how far I pull the lever. It's a flat 5psi drop. I tried it with higher static psi and it's the same. Tried it 30, 40.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

ijyt posted:

Painted up this fat lad over the weekend, I'm usually not one to boast but I'm pretty proud of how it turned out. Just need to figure out what scenic base to do for him!

Bright green grass that's dead around his feet. Looks great btw.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
What is the red you're using there?

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed
Does anyone have experience with using colored washes over silver rather than regular solid paints? In my head it seems like you could create a more metallic looking, somewhat pearlescent effect with multiple coats that I'm picturing looking cool for the shoulder pads of my Astral Claws, but maybe I'm completely off base with how it will actually look.

I'm also a little confused on the correct order to be doing washes etc in, since I've seen both basecoat (Boltgun) -> wash (Badab Black) -> Boltgun -> highlight (Mithril Silver) and the way Duncan does an ultramarine which in my case would be Boltgun -> drybrush Silver -> wash.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

FromTheShire posted:

Does anyone have experience with using colored washes over silver rather than regular solid paints? In my head it seems like you could create a more metallic looking, somewhat pearlescent effect with multiple coats that I'm picturing looking cool for the shoulder pads of my Astral Claws, but maybe I'm completely off base with how it will actually look.

I'm also a little confused on the correct order to be doing washes etc in, since I've seen both basecoat (Boltgun) -> wash (Badab Black) -> Boltgun -> highlight (Mithril Silver) and the way Duncan does an ultramarine which in my case would be Boltgun -> drybrush Silver -> wash.

I'm about to experiment a bit with some GW glazes over metallic paints, but I think those dry with more of a matte finish. I'll try to get back to you this evening on that.
Previous recommendations in this thread have included Tamiya clear paints (especially the red) and Badger Ghost Tints. These are notable for keeping their glossy shine; I've heard that the Ghost Tints may behave weirdly on some metallics, though (not wanting to stick to Vallejo metals, for instance).

tldr: buncha hearsay with nothing to back it up yet :v:

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

berzerkmonkey posted:

What is the red you're using there?

All with airbrush:
Basecoat VMC Hull Red
GW Mephiston Red (cover almost everything but deepest recesses)
GW Evil Suns Scarlet (Zenithal, about 45 degrees)
GW Wild Rider Red (barely anything)

Pin wash Nuln Oil

Edge highlight Wild Rider Red

I think that the terminator might not have gotten the zenithal wild rider red, he's a tad darker. I haven't washed the mk3 dude yet though, so that might darken it up.

Neurolimal posted:

How about an iron sword with neon green blood? Would compliment both the dusty orange and ice blue claws well IMO.

What do you mean by neon green blood? Sounds interesting.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Sort of like the claws, a really bright slightly translucent green over a iron-grey sword.

re: colors over metallic, I'm doing that with a gundam kit to achieve a platinum-gold look, its very doable so long as there isnt any thick pigments in the mix. I use the Tamiya Clear line but I imagine any well-thinned clear paint can achieve the same effect.

E:

This was before I got better about lighting for pics.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

What do you mean by neon green blood? Sounds interesting.

I often use a base of Vallejo Game Color Escorpena Green with a highlight of Fluo Yellow and a really thin glaze of Waywatcher Green. (Be careful of the Fluo Yellow, though; I've had multiple bottles that just don't have good coverage, get clumpy in the bottle, etc. I think there's an equivalent to it in the Vallejo Game Air line, but I don't have access to the latest paint comparisons charts....)

Speaking of paint comparisons: Does anyone know of a good equivalent for the old Mechrite Red (with a faint purplish undertone, I believe discontinued at this point)? That was my base coat for my Space Hulk termies back when I first got started airbrushing, and I miss it.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
Cross posted from the Age of Sigmar thread. This is my AoS army, commissioned by me through a friend. He painted up the models, I did all the basing and ultimately I am very happy with my "Tzeentch flavored" Chaos army. I am adding some units to it still.

Just played my first "real" game of AoS last weekend and had a blast.

basing this guy is a BITCH. He only connects to the base in one small area and to the support wall in one small area. In the end I pinned him through the support wall and from underneath into the tail. I also used a two part epoxy to hold him to the base. He isn't going anywhere now.

darnon
Nov 8, 2009

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I'm about to experiment a bit with some GW glazes over metallic paints, but I think those dry with more of a matte finish. I'll try to get back to you this evening on that.
Previous recommendations in this thread have included Tamiya clear paints (especially the red) and Badger Ghost Tints. These are notable for keeping their glossy shine; I've heard that the Ghost Tints may behave weirdly on some metallics, though (not wanting to stick to Vallejo metals, for instance).

Ghost tint lets you do some neat effects. I just got some in the other day to mess around with for the color scheme on my Dropfleet Commander PHR ships. Little WIP on my test model:

Ultimately trying for the crazy Chris Foss look of this image which the PHR ships have ample smooth surfaces for.

So far it's just a gradient of Golden Yellow/Red/Magenta through the airbrush over a base of pearlescent white which works pretty nicely through the ghost tint. Also testing out the Vallejo Metal Color Jet Exhaust which is some drat smooth stuff, although dries near instantly thus the little sloppy spots I wasn't able to clean off.

I can't speak to whether GW glazes dry matte or not, but going over it with a gloss varnish or Future would shine it up.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The GW glazes tend to dry fairly matte, but don't work that well through an airbrush in my experience.

+1 for Ghost Tints.

For my Nightlords I use Vallejo metal colour to base them, and then use Automotive Air Acrylic transparent over the top for the blue.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

ijyt posted:

That thing is :krad:

What model is it?

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

Sab669 posted:

That thing is :krad:

What model is it?

That there is a Lord of Plagues, and much cooler than GW's official paintjob. I almost said nicer, but that's basically the opposite of what I meant.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

Anyone have a tip for picking the eyes? Or is it just 'small brush, steady hand'?

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe
I can report that the GW glazes (Guilliman Blue, to be specific) do have kind of a matte finish over metals. But the Ghost Tints, if you're careful about them, making sure they're completely dry between layers, etc., are nice over metallic paints and impart a nice candy finish. They're really best used through an airbrush, but you can brush-paint them as well.

darkwolf220 posted:

Anyone have a tip for picking the eyes? Or is it just 'small brush, steady hand'?

Pretty much, yeah. They're sometimes considered an optional step, so long as you've darkened the eye sockets well enough. There are suggestions out there (such as painting the eyes before the rest of the face), but really, just use your best judgement, especially if you're painting a large number of figures.

e: An important thing to remember about painting eyes is, the brush head itself doesn't have to be small, and probably shouldn't be unless you're really fast. A short-bristled brush will allow the paint to dry really quickly, making it even harder to paint the eyes. The most important thing is, you want your brush to come to a very fine point, to paint in the sharper details with accuracy. If you maintain good points on your brushes, you could (with practice) paint eyes with a size 1 brush.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Feb 7, 2017

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I find it helps to go inside out on eyes. That is, paint it black. The paint white around the pupil, shaping it. Then dark again to shape the whites. Then get rid of most of the dark around the eyes with flesh.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I do a stroke of black, then a smaller stroke of white, and then draw a line in the centre linking the top black and bottom black lines.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

darkwolf220 posted:

Paint black, dot in the corners with white. Do the outside edges first and make the inside edges smaller dots than the outside ones if you can help it. It also helps to hold the model upside down when painting the eye on the side of your non-dominant hand. It's way easier than it sounds, you just need to be patient and have a fine tip on your brush.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I find the best results are to paint the eye black and then apply a crescent of white with the open part of the crescent facing upwards:

but honestly in 28mm you don't really need to worry about pupils, it doesn't matter at that scale anyways as long as you heavily black line the edges of the eye:
NWS unless you work at the nekkid elf factory

LazyAngel
Mar 17, 2009

Latest finished project;

1/350 scale, fully articulated/poseable with a few replacement hands (open hand, and the unfolded plasma cannons). Took a few weeks, mostly to paint all the various pieces before assembling, then decals and weathering (which toned down the rather-too-bright blue armour really nicely).

Inner frame is Vallejo Metal Colour Gunmetal, armour is based VMC Silver with Blue ghost tints for the colour. After decalling, I sponge dry-brushed silver lightly everywhere, with a heavier layer on corners/worn bits, followed by a liberal and random application of SW Heavy Body Black wash. Pretty pleased with the result :-)

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aside from a coat or two of varnish, she's done!

I've never used woodland scenics before so, it was a bit of a learning experience. Same with 4Ground's base render!
I'm not 100% pleased with the base. If i did it again, i'd put more of that coal ballast down and get a darker turf colour. Probably try and raise the spaces where her feet rest on the base, too, just to give better clearance and vision between her feet and the terrain.

LazyAngel posted:

Latest finished project;

Pretty pleased with the result :-)

That's a rad robot!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

ijyt posted:

:yeah:

FromTheShire
Feb 19, 2005

Panzers on Russian soil, Thunder in the east.
One million men at war,
The Soviet wrath unleashed

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I saw a couple images of people using the Ghost Tints that looked pretty nice, how much of a difference does it make if you were to try and brush something like that on instead of airbrushing it? Figures people have had problems with them and Vallejo since that's what I'm using.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I don't know about Vallejo, but with my Tamiya clears you can brush it on just fine so long as you thin it well; because the goal isnt to obscure the underlying layer you can thin it to just before it becomes a wash, and patiently layer it on.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Dr. Gargunza posted:

I often use a base of Vallejo Game Color Escorpena Green with a highlight of Fluo Yellow and a really thin glaze of Waywatcher Green. (Be careful of the Fluo Yellow, though; I've had multiple bottles that just don't have good coverage, get clumpy in the bottle, etc. I think there's an equivalent to it in the Vallejo Game Air line, but I don't have access to the latest paint comparisons charts....)

Speaking of paint comparisons: Does anyone know of a good equivalent for the old Mechrite Red (with a faint purplish undertone, I believe discontinued at this point)? That was my base coat for my Space Hulk termies back when I first got started airbrushing, and I miss it.

Do you have any pictures?

Khorne Red is fairly close to Mechrite Red.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

I find the best results are to paint the eye black and then apply a crescent of white with the open part of the crescent facing upwards:

but honestly in 28mm you don't really need to worry about pupils, it doesn't matter at that scale anyways as long as you heavily black line the edges of the eye:
NWS unless you work at the nekkid elf factory

Here's a post exposing the depth of my ignorance, but I never thought to line the eye, but it makes a hell of a lot of sense at 28mm scale.

Are you lining the actual lids on the figure, or leaving a black line around the boundary of the cornea? Like, is this eyeliner or eyeshadow?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Eyeliner. Essentially, you need to create contrast between the skin tone and the white of the eye. On dark-skinned minis, it's usually not an issue and you can just go in with the white of the eye. But for lighter skin tones, you'll definitely want that dark line for a sharp contrast. If you don't want to go full black, you can also use a very dark brown; this will give the same effect without looking like make-up when viewed up-close.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

Fun Shoe

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Do you have any pictures?

Khorne Red is fairly close to Mechrite Red.

Thanks on the Khorne Red, I'll check that out!

This picture isn't very good, but it's probably the best view of how this green color combo looks. (The highlights are much more yellow in person. I like orc flesh to look radioactive.)

e: Wait, here's a better example. Check out the barrel of the Ultramouse's gun.

Dr. Gargunza fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 7, 2017

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains

ijyt posted:

This is super rad. What kinda colours you using on this one? The brass, rust, guts and verdigris all look badass.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The airbrush is a dangerous and addictive weapon.

Chill la Chill posted:

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

ijyt posted:

That's amazing. It kinda looks like a render of a 3D rendered game asset, maybe because you cropped out the background :D

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Um, IDK why you're sculpting this, don't you know Hasslefree already makes a miniature of Sgt. Angel?
http://www.hfminis.co.uk/shop?product=officer-nick~hfa032&category=modern-%26%0D%0Apost%252dapoc~modern-adventurers
Ok, that reference went over my head :-/

Zark the Damned posted:

These are looking decent, much better than any of my attempts at sculpting so far! You gonna include any of the other Angels?

Thanks :) No, not for now. I was originally just going to 5 "normal" archo-flagellants, but the concept of a crazed, cybernetically enhanced murdermachine with one arm kept reminding me of something. When I realized it who it was, I thought it would be a fun challenge to include him.
If I ever do a proper Inquisimunda type warband doing the rest of the family could be fun.