Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

It depends on the game, but if a game is built around the idea of character swapping then of course I'll use different characters. Like in SMT in general I can't just use my favorite demons but instead have to keep putting new ones in because that is what the combat system calls for.

Tortolia posted:

It depends on the game in question ; does the game punish you by making it difficult to change party members as you go, or does it let you catch up with a relative minimum of fuss?

Everyone is going to have a preferred set of characters, but not all games let you get away with only using them. SMT and the various flavors of Press Turn punish you for trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.

True enough but stuff like Strange Journey or Nocturne is different from Persona for a couple reasons.

1. As you yourself noted earlier ImpAtom, the MC can do everything better than everyone else in Persona. In SMT and DDS, that's not possible for a variety of reasons. You can be better than some of them by a large margin but not everyone. Since it's fresh on my mind, I'd have to dump all my stats into Magic or Agility to be a better mage than Argilla or to be faster than Cielo. (Although I hear Heat is actually a lovely physical fighter because he has low Luck but I still used him for that anyway)

2. Demons are different than characters. I mean, I had favorite demons like some of the Fiends in Nocturne but as enjoyable as their designs may be or if they have cool battle dialogue/animations, they're still just your Pokemon. They're not your friends or anyone you feel really strongly about. Persona I figure would be a great contrast because if you don't absolutely love the characters, why are you even playing this game? So you're gonna be more attached to Aigis or someone than you were to Mother Harlot or whatever and thus you'll always want her in your party.

I admit when I started the series with Strange Journey I didn't get the whole "you gotta keep changing things up" idea, which is why I was a dumbass and kept demons from Sector A all the way to the final boss of Sector But I don't think Persona really demands that kind of fluidity.

Maybe 4 does, I dunno. I'll see soon enough as I just got the game this morning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I was far more attached my Beelzebub with Pierce in nocturne than most of P3's cast and I still played P3 because I found the calendar system interesting to engage with because believe it or not there is more to persona than the dumb cutscenes and characters

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Captain Baal posted:

I was far more attached my Beelzebub with Pierce in nocturne than most of P3's cast and I still played P3 because I found the calendar system interesting to engage with because believe it or not there is more to persona than the dumb cutscenes and characters

I'm not telling anyone what they can or can't enjoy about games. But is it really unreasonable to say the main draw of Persona is the characters?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah because P3's cast kinda sucks

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm mostly being pedantic though, the large draw is the cast, yes.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah because P3's cast kinda sucks

Counterpoint: Koromaru.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Oh yeah, Koromaru, what an interesting and dynamic character, watch out, it's everyone's favorite dog, Koromaru

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

koro kinda ruins the tone the game is trying to achieve and never gets any focus at all in the plot, not even a moment where he does something heroic and a bad guy is like 'what, a dog...?!?!?'

repede from vesperia is a better jrpg dog. especially because the final boss has this exchange

'You would protect this world, even as a dog?'

"Woof!"

"Incredible... I can only wish that you were born as a human. Perhaps then I would find value in humanity."

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Endorph posted:

not even a moment where he does something heroic and a bad guy is like 'what, a dog...?!?!?'

Except that happens when Ikutsuki is about to take control of Aigis?

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
SMT cats are better than dogs, there's a lot of cool cats in this series.
Persona 5 people, which one is better, Morgana or Gotou?

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I was mostly making a joke how the introduction of the dog felt more exciting than most of the character dynamics in P3.

That said, if they were gonna include a dog as a party member, you'd think more attention sould be brought to this strange addition, but everyone kinda just accepts it quickly and moves on. I know there was already a robot around, but still...

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I wish more games had character swapping mid battle like FFX

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Marogareh posted:

A ton of recent rpgs do this.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Marogareh posted:

Congrats, P5 does

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yay!

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
How do I get Slime to fuse into Senri? Kinda having trouble with it.

Rent-a-Bot
Oct 21, 2012

FOOL! DOCTOR DOOM DOES AS HE PLEASES!
:gaz: :gaz: :gaz:

Bogart posted:

Perseinfeld is still so, so strangely good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJi5C3JVlFY

The one Perseinfeld 5 video is pretty great too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Captain Baal posted:

Congrats, P5 does

poo poo, really?!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saagonsa posted:

Except that happens when Ikutsuki is about to take control of Aigis?

i forgot ikutsuki was in the game

Waffleman_ posted:

poo poo, really?!
yeah, an s. link gives you buffs for reserve party members like letting them get full exp and letting them come in for assist attacks and one of their upgrades is just flatout letting you character swap

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

ManlyGrunting posted:

Party members at lower levels gain more experience. So if you were to take a level 17 Junpei and have him in a fight with level 60 monsters he would gain monstrous amounts of EXP.

Of course I'm one of those people who obsessively makes sure all of their party members are around the same level, the concept of a party member being twenty levels lower makes me break out in hives.

someone's never played fire emblem

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

And I have P4G. Just beat Shadow Yukiko.

I hope this game gets a bit easier now I have a full party. There's so much poo poo to do, I don't have time to grind days on end. I barely made it to save Yukiko, I did it on the last day before she died and I only managed to level up a couple S Links in that time while failing to do any of my part time job or whatever else.

Like I said, there's so much to do and there are even more goddam "social attributes" in this game. I have to level them all up, go to TV World, level up S Links, go fishing or gardening... Is there any benefit to fishing or gardening?

I have already been told what S Links to prioritize for the best ending. That feels a bit unfair, even if the list was rather broad. Dojima, Nanako, party members, Adachi and maybe one or two others. I just want to get whatever ending comes naturally to me, ya know?

I'm having fun but time management seems like a bigger hassle than in P3.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You have like 3 extra months in the Golden version, and it was way easier to max all the social links in original P4 than P3 FES.

You literally have more than enough time.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

And I have P4G. Just beat Shadow Yukiko.

I hope this game gets a bit easier now I have a full party. There's so much poo poo to do, I don't have time to grind days on end. I barely made it to save Yukiko, I did it on the last day before she died and I only managed to level up a couple S Links in that time while failing to do any of my part time job or whatever else.

Like I said, there's so much to do and there are even more goddam "social attributes" in this game. I have to level them all up, go to TV World, level up S Links, go fishing or gardening... Is there any benefit to fishing or gardening?

I have already been told what S Links to prioritize for the best ending. That feels a bit unfair, even if the list was rather broad. Dojima, Nanako, party members, Adachi and maybe one or two others. I just want to get whatever ending comes naturally to me, ya know?

I'm having fun but time management seems like a bigger hassle than in P3.

You will not naturally get the true ending on your own and it carries the rest of the games story details in it

Also you do not need to optimize any S. Links for the true ending or even for the extra dungeon except one character for the latter who is named Marie. Otherwise just play the game, it is far more free to let you do whatever you want than 3 is.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
You don't need to do any social links for the best ending. Some links have deadlines where you can no longer work on them but nothing is required. Accessing the bonus dungeon in Golden requires maxing the Aeon link by the end of December. Again, optional.

Fishing is used for a few sidequests and maxing one link. Gardening requires no time and lets you get extra consumable items.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You can also use the shrine at night to boost S. Links that are close to leveling up but not quite there if you met up with the person. This should allow you to level up a S. Link during the day 100% of the time.

Don't forget S. Links that boost social parameters, such as Temperance, Sun, Devil, and Strength. That said feel free to drop them once you max the social stats.

My go to S. Links to just straight up ignore are Hanged Man, Moon, and Death. If you do so you should end the game with more time than you'll know what to do with. Like, a month+ of free time.

Hit up the vending machine every day to see if they have any TaP Soda, that restores SP. Eventually you'll get the ability to restore SP within the dungeon itself (by paying money) that you can beat them all in one go going forward. Yukiko's is a special case and in many ways is the highwater mark of difficulty for the game.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yeah the only reason Yukiko's stuff is more difficult than the rest of the game is because the game hasn't given you all of your tools at that point so dungeon crawling can be kind of a pain and S. Links don't open up much whenever dungeons are happening.

Also because Chie has an inherent weakness to fire and even if guarding negates it for an attack near the end of the fight Yukiko will still pop a rise from the ashes at random sometimes and that can be death right there.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I beat Shadow Yukiko last night myself. Seemed her AI just really wanted to cast Fear on Yosuke for some reason, so I never got too far into trouble, though my damage output was really low because I had Chie guarding nearly every turn.

They make that fight easier for P4G though, as I remember. I think I was higher than level 12 in the original.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks for the advice everyone. It is nice to know I won't be this strapped for time again.

Captain Baal posted:

You will not naturally get the true ending on your own and it carries the rest of the games story details in it

Heh, it's really funny. I hear one person tell me P4's True Ending is nigh impossibly obtuse, another person tells me it's really easy and obvious, and so-on and so-forth.

Obviously I can't really contribute any input into the topic but I've seen it discussed around me several times since I started talking to people about my intentions to play the game.

Captain Baal posted:

Yeah the only reason Yukiko's stuff is more difficult than the rest of the game is because the game hasn't given you all of your tools at that point so dungeon crawling can be kind of a pain and S. Links don't open up much whenever dungeons are happening.

Also because Chie has an inherent weakness to fire and even if guarding negates it for an attack near the end of the fight Yukiko will still pop a rise from the ashes at random sometimes and that can be death right there.

Yep, this happened to me. Chie bit it but luckily what I lacked in Medicines I made up for in Revival Beads. I had been a dumb rear end and forgot to buy more healing items but the dungeon had supplied me with several Revival Beads so that saved me.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

NikkolasKing posted:

Heh, it's really funny. I hear one person tell me P4's True Ending is nigh impossibly obtuse, another person tells me it's really easy and obvious, and so-on and so-forth.

It's kinda both. Thematically, it's pretty obvious, but in actual implementation it's pretty obtuse.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think the fact that there is a true ending is pretty obvious, but the steps you have to take are pretty much guesswork.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I hope you put your teammates on manual

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tae posted:

I hope you put your teammates on manual

Heh, funny you should mention that. You get access to Tactics right before...Shadow Yosuke was it? Maybe Shadow Chie? Whatever.

I totally forgot about the much-loved manual control of my party until I was looking at Yosuke's Tactics and thinking "okay what can I set him to that will work here?" And then I saw Direct Command and suddenly I was relieved.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Keep in mind all future party members need to be set to direct command.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If you beat Shadow Yukiko, you've beaten the hardest boss in the game, imo. The difficulty spike in the next dungeon (spoiler: there is another dungeon) can be a little rough but by that point you should have the SP recovery social link and can sort of grind your way there. And if you can use the SOS mechanic on the VitaTV, do it. Adds up SP quick.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The SOS mechanic was immensely helpful my first run through P4G, enough so that I was able to complete Yukiko's dungeon in one go. Unfortunately I wonder how many people will get responses now as opposed to when the game first came out and was a lot more active.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I don't know about in Golden but I found the boss of dungeon #4 to be as hard or harder.
Though I think Shadow Yukiko is the only time in the game where you actually have to use the Defend command.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Item Getter posted:

I don't know about in Golden but I found the boss of dungeon #4 to be as hard or harder.
Though I think Shadow Yukiko is the only time in the game where you actually have to use the Defend command.

There's one more that has a wind up spirit bomb

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Bogart posted:

If you beat Shadow Yukiko, you've beaten the hardest boss in the game, imo. The difficulty spike in the next dungeon (spoiler: there is another dungeon) can be a little rough but by that point you should have the SP recovery social link and can sort of grind your way there. And if you can use the SOS mechanic on the VitaTV, do it. Adds up SP quick.

There's an S Link that recovers SP? There's the Fox that heals me for crazy amounts of money. Is that what you mean?

I just saved Kanji and stopped right before the class field trip outing thing. I have most of my S Links to Rank 3-4 but I've bee focusing most of my time on raising my attributes because it got really frustrating trying to select a dialogue option and then the game tells me no.

My S Links at present are: Chie and Yosuke at 3, Yukiko at 4, Marie at 4, Athletes at 3, Dojima and Nanako at 3 and Fox and Adachi at 1. I'm not sure how to raise the fox's thing. Do I go to the Shrine?

But I mean, in the end, I do what seems fun or interesting. I don't care about Adachi or the Fox so very little motivation to ever talk to them. Same kind of thing happened with my

I'm having a great deal of fun though. I'll have even more once I've grinded out the last of my attributes so I can just focus all my time on dungeon exploring and S Links and wandering the town with my scooter. I have yet to be able to finish a dungeon in one siting. That was how it was in P3 too. In the beginning anyway. After a while I could pull it off. If I start getting more Cups with Rank 3, I could probably do it. Thank God for Cups restoring SP now. I got stuff to grow to restore SP too so that's cool.

Speaking of exploring the town and dungeons though. I love the town music an dI love the main TV World music. Why does the dungeon music pale in comparison and do I get different BGM options like in 3?

I'm also not particularly a fan of the boss theme...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the fox's prices go down as you rank her s. link up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

There's an S Link that recovers SP? There's the Fox that heals me for crazy amounts of money. Is that what you mean?

My S Links at present are: Chie and Yosuke at 3, Yukiko at 4, Marie at 4, Athletes at 3, Dojima and Nanako at 3 and Fox and Adachi at 1. I'm not sure how to raise the fox's thing. Do I go to the Shrine?

The fox gives you an increasing discount on SP heals as you advance the Social Link. As to how to do that one, you go to the shrine and the fox gives you a request to fulfill. Getting the request requires no time period, so no real reason not to have one active whenever possible. Once you fulfill the request, go back to the shrine and you get an S. Link advancement - this does advance time though. That the rank ups are tied to requests does mean that it only takes 10 visits total though, as opposed to other S. Links where it might take multiple trips for even a single rank up as you get further along.

One nice thing about the link is that the fox is always available if you can travel to the shrine. This makes it a great S. Link to advance on rainy days, where you might have basically no other options.