Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TheTofuShop posted:

My friends all want to play frontier

You need new friends m8te

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

80s James Hetfield posted:

I agree with this so much.

I mean the temptation exists to make U/B aristocrats again. But gently caress frontier.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I legitimately think a frontier with Coco, dig, and cruise banned could be an interesting format

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

On the topic of good standards, I've been going back through some pt top 8s recently on youtube. PT Gatecrash, and the isd to gtc standard, was fuckin awesome.

Top 8 is stacked with good players and a large variety of decks, and the matches were really good too. Aristocrats, esper, jund, jeskai with reckoners and charms, naya. And lsv was on commentary!

Edit: somehow I forgot about the bant deck splashing wolf run.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
I'm just kidding about your friends but like I'd probably give Frontier a shot if they banned fetches and went back to like M14

Procrastinator posted:

On the topic of good standards, I've been going back through some pt top 8s recently on youtube. PT Gatecrash, and the isd to gtc standard, was fuckin awesome.

Top 8 is stacked with good players and a large variety of decks, and the matches were really good too. Aristocrats, esper, jund, jeskai with reckoners and charms, naya. And lsv was on commentary!

Edit: somehow I forgot about the bant deck splashing wolf run.

Best PT was Ivan Floch Elixir-Control and I'll knife fight anyone who disagrees.

He beats Sperling on Burn, Owen on BW Midrange and then Jackson Cunningham with GW aggro to win

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured
Y'all should pick up Canadian Highlander.

What's the worst thing that could happen?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
Today's MODO bug report: having the card Cowardice anywhere in your deck or sideboard causes the game to keep rolling dice and then it's a draw.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Is that a flavour win?

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

more complicated than NASA

Smashing Link
Jul 8, 2003

I'll keep chucking bombs at you til you fall off that ledge!
Grimey Drawer
Urza / Masques Standard was tons of fun, looking back through rose tinted glasses. Repenish into Opalescence+Parallax Tide+Parallax Wave, wipe my board, attack me with enchantments = fun! Also Yawgmoth's Bargain decks. And Morphling was god.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Kamigawa/Ravnica Standard was the objective best

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Is it possible that MODO is dumb enough that this is somehow caused by the word "dice" being in the name of the card?

e: someone check if it also happens with Slice and Dice.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

80s James Hetfield posted:

I have two cubes and normally I can convince them to play one of them or do a draft/sealed, but they all love frontier.

A couple started at Theros block, and the rest came in during Khans/Dragons, so they have stuff for the format, and constantly cry about dipping into modern due to the cost.

I get that for them, the glut of cards they do have represents a pool thats easier to get into, and they like the lesser cost. They don't liquidate their stuff at rotation to the degree I told them they should, and since they played standard during Khans, they have a strong love for decks they played before.

I'm trying though, I've got 3 modern decks built and have been able to get some of them to play modern with a loaner deck, but as soon as I mention modern, they cry about their wallets. I have one of them actively trading towards stuff for modern cause he played burn and had a blast. The mtg goldfish budget lists gave him something to get into.

Sometimes I think they deserve frontier though, three of em paid 20+ each for playsets of copter like a day after release.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

TheTofuShop posted:

I have two cubes and normally I can convince them to play one of them or do a draft/sealed, but they all love frontier.

A couple started at Theros block, and the rest came in during Khans/Dragons, so they have stuff for the format, and constantly cry about dipping into modern due to the cost.

I get that for them, the glut of cards they do have represents a pool thats easier to get into, and they like the lesser cost. They don't liquidate their stuff at rotation to the degree I told them they should, and since they played standard during Khans, they have a strong love for decks they played before.

I'm trying though, I've got 3 modern decks built and have been able to get some of them to play modern with a loaner deck, but as soon as I mention modern, they cry about their wallets. I have one of them actively trading towards stuff for modern cause he played burn and had a blast. The mtg goldfish budget lists gave him something to get into.

Sometimes I think they deserve frontier though, three of em paid 20+ each for playsets of copter like a day after release.

This is not a joke post and I know we mock EDH because it's dumb but 2 of the most fun games I ever had was playing silly theme decks that was Peasant Commander (1 uncommon general, 10 uncommons, the rest of the deck commons)

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

GonSmithe posted:

Kamigawa/Ravnica Standard was the objective best

Not even the best standard with Ravnica, since RAV/TSP was better.

I liked Shards/Zendikar standard the best. Both Jaces, bloodbraid elf and Nicol Bolas/Cruel Ultimatum all legal in the same format, where mono red and vampire tribal were actual decent decks.

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

KillarySwank posted:

Y'all should pick up Canadian Highlander.

What's the worst thing that could happen?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

What's that format like, anyway? It looks cool from the few videos I've been able to find but I've never played it or known anyone who has.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

mehall posted:

Plus idiots like me got to play Maze's End TurboFog. Everything was great.

(I nearly had a run at at WMCQ with Maze's End TurboFog but I punted hard on what loyalty the good Jace in the format Ulted at.)

Me and you both baby. Turbo Maze was the best standard deck ever hands down.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

At times I still get the urge to put together a German Highlander deck: http://www.highlandermagic.info/

It has always looked to me like a good, simple framework for two player highlander, with reasonably thought out banlist. Sadly, played less around here than it was used to few years back.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

What's that format like, anyway? It looks cool from the few videos I've been able to find but I've never played it or known anyone who has.

100 card singleton Legacy with a points system to keep power levels down

Though you probably mean how's the metagame then I have no idea

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Soul Glo posted:

So is it like Sheldon Points EDH?

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
No, you get a point budget and certain, generally powerful or broken, cards cost you points to put in your deck. It's basically an alternative to banned/restricted lists.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Soul Glo posted:

I thought it was 100 card singleton Vintage with a points system ?

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
https://canadianhighlander.wordpress.com/rules-the-points-list-and-deck-construction/

Yikes.

Surely there's a Legacy version that doesn't include stuff like Power?

E: Oh, that's basically what the German version is I guess?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Entropic posted:

https://canadianhighlander.wordpress.com/rules-the-points-list-and-deck-construction/

Yikes.

Surely there's a Legacy version that doesn't include stuff like Power?

E: Oh, that's basically what the German version is I guess?

In fairness, a lot of players don't use power, and those that do use "official proxies" aka collectors editions.

We have a smallish playerbase here in Glasgow who all use a solid number of proxies, since we don't even have a large legacy playerbase.

KillarySwank
Jun 24, 2013

Lemon Flavoured

Anil Dasharez0ne posted:

It keeps me playing the game. Feels nice being able to brew with some extremely powerful cards, while also not getting weird looks for playing stuff I pull in draft. I highly recommend people giving it a shot, especially the old heads.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Attorney at Funk posted:

Maro's been lamenting on his blog a little recently that a return to Dominaria is hard because since they put so many different things on it, it doesn't fit the _____ World gimmick their worldbuilding has now.

Time Spiral made an excellent case that a visit to Dominaria can present a strong theme through all the white noise. Here's my five-minute pitch for a compelling return:

Block name: "Domina Prime."

Art direction: 90's grotesque.

Back away from technical realism and digital painting. Get weird, brutal, and kinda icky. Put Terese Nielsen in charge, obviously. Tell Wayne Reynolds to review all of the stuff he's had published in Pathfinder manuals and then do the opposite of that poo poo.

Setting shtick: The existential threat to Dominaria is over, but the scars left on it by the Time Spiral and other accumulated trauma still remain, in the form of closed time-loops and non-euclidean topology. Things are stable, but weird, and stuff has a tendency to show up in surprising places. These idiosyncrasies can be disorienting and frightening, but they can also be exploited as a web of geographical and temporal shortcuts which make the word at once a smaller and grander place.

On this foundation, the locals foster a certain sense of solidarity. Unlike the denizens of almost any other plane, Dominarians have a reasonable understanding of their world's position at the interdimensional crossroad, and they remember what they've suffered in the face of extraplanar machinations. But, they are the heirs to a culture of apocalypse aversion, and those that have survived the millennia of devastation are the absolute strongest and most cunning specimens of their kinds. Do not come here to start poo poo, Planeswalker.

[The Gateswatch goes to Dominaria, where they proceed to start poo poo.]

Design schtick: Focus on the essentials and go for an original Ravnica-style success. Nobody remembers the keywords from that block, just that they paid attention to the color pie and everything was printed on the Jedi curve and it was the tits. Other than this, there's a skeleton of top-down design:

-Time and space are kind of cocked up. Double-Faced Cards return. They transform at the start of your turn or as an activated ability. This is a callback to Phasing in the first instance and a facilitator for mirror-universe/"shifted" style reflections in the second. Shadow returns on creatures who know how to exploit dimensional backroads, and there are a lot of ways to gain or lose it (allegations of parasitism can suck my dick). Temporal stutter gives spell the tendency to Rebound. There's an enchantment that traps hostile magic in a time-loop; it works like Oblivion Ring except it targets a spell on the stack and subsequently allows the spell's owner to cast it for free.

-Dominarians are tenacious motherfuckers. They Persist in the face of hardship and Evolve to square up against mounting threats. There's a minigame in moving counters around to nullify them.

-Slivers are around, and they are a huge problem. Living on a dimensional nexus has exposed their evolutionary complex to foreign magic from every corner the multiverse. On the bright side, this diversity has caused their strain to diverge, and Sliver infestations can be managed in part by pitting hives against each other. This is a play on the change to the Legend Rule that now lets each player have their own Sliver Overlord, and the change to the Sliver mechanic that now limits their ability-sharing to their compatriots. You have an opportunity to make another (rare) cycle of Slivers whose abilities are inspired by historically notable cards.

-Speaking of that: The lovely thing about Time Spiral for new players was that it predate the NWO, so they included weird mechanics far past the point of saturation. If done with moderation, cards with one-off mechanics can still be a thing. At the very least, you should have a cycle of legendaries who each have an obscure keyword ability. Did you know that Nicol Bolas had a samurai empire on Dominaria at one point? And that he got murked by one of the kids from the Umezawa clan, of Jitte fame? I just read that poo poo on the wiki. Print another one of those guys and give the dude Bushido, it'll be a laugh.

-People in this neighborhood are loving done going along with the cataclysmic gambits that Planeswalkers always wanna pull. We meet a couple new 'Walkers with whom the locals abide, but they do not have ultimate abilities.

-Also, print Planeswalker hate. Seriously, they ain't loving around.

-Design a card frame that agrees with the modern one but resembles the original one, and then use it to print a bunch of arbitrary time-shifted cards in the Expedition/Masterwork slot.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I went to MNM yesterday and my first opponent just kept rolling dice endlessly instead of shuffling up his deck and drawing his opening hand. It was one of the best games of Magic I've ever played.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Eikre posted:

Back away from technical realism and digital painting. Get weird, brutal, and kinda icky. Put Terese Nielsen in charge, obviously. Tell Wayne Reynolds to review all of the stuff he's had published in Pathfinder manuals and then do the opposite of that poo poo.

This is the best part of a pretty good post but it will never happen. They're too committed to the orange and teal, clean sci-fi look.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I went to MNM yesterday and my first opponent just kept rolling dice endlessly instead of shuffling up his deck and drawing his opening hand. It was one of the best games of Magic I've ever played.

Wait like he refused to do it or just took forever?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's like people have no idea why illustrators transitioned to doing their work digitally in the first place.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

I think you were playing Star Wars Destiny

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

Did they have Cowardice in their deck?

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Eikre posted:

:lol: at this part especially.

And I guess you can undo your mulligans now on mtgo? Go to 6, resolve your scry, then you can click undo to back to the mulligan prompt.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Star Man posted:

It's like people have no idea why illustrators transitioned to doing their work digitally in the first place.

Digital is fine, there's been plenty of great art recently. It's more that the current aesthetic of shiny and clean makes bad art look really bad (Valor in Akros).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Eikre posted:

Time Spiral made an excellent case that a visit to Dominaria can present a strong theme through all the white noise. Here's my five-minute pitch for a compelling return:

Block name: "Domina Prime."

Setting shtick: The existential threat to Dominaria is over, but the scars left on it by the Time Spiral and other accumulated trauma still remain, in the form of closed time-loops and non-euclidean topology. Things are stable, but weird, and stuff has a tendency to show up in surprising places. These idiosyncrasies can be disorienting and frightening, but they can also be exploited as a web of geographical and temporal shortcuts which make the word at once a smaller and grander place.

On this foundation, the locals foster a certain sense of solidarity. Unlike the denizens of almost any other plane, Dominarians have a reasonable understanding of their world's position at the interdimensional crossroad, and they remember what they've suffered in the face of extraplanar machinations. But, they are the heirs to a culture of apocalypse aversion, and those that have survived the millennia of devastation are the absolute strongest and most cunning specimens of their kinds. Do not come here to start poo poo, Planeswalker.

[The Gateswatch goes to Dominaria, where they proceed to start poo poo.]

Design schtick: Focus on the essentials and go for an original Ravnica-style success. Nobody remembers the keywords from that block, just that they paid attention to the color pie and everything was printed on the Jedi curve and it was the tits. Other than this, there's a skeleton of top-down design:

-Dominarians are tenacious motherfuckers. They Persist in the face of hardship and Evolve to square up against mounting threats. There's a minigame in moving counters around to nullify them.

-Slivers are around, and they are a huge problem. Living on a dimensional nexus has exposed their evolutionary complex to foreign magic from every corner the multiverse. On the bright side, this diversity has caused their strain to diverge, and Sliver infestations can be managed in part by pitting hives against each other. This is a play on the change to the Legend Rule that now lets each player have their own Sliver Overlord, and the change to the Sliver mechanic that now limits their ability-sharing to their compatriots. You have an opportunity to make another (rare) cycle of Slivers whose abilities are inspired by historically notable cards.

-Design a card frame that agrees with the modern one but resembles the original one, and then use it to print a bunch of arbitrary time-shifted cards in the Expedition/Masterwork slot.

-Also, print Planeswalker hate. Seriously, they ain't loving around.

I liked this.

Eikre posted:

-Time and space are kind of cocked up. Double-Faced Cards return. They transform at the start of your turn or as an activated ability. This is a callback to Phasing in the first instance and a facilitator for mirror-universe/"shifted" style reflections in the second. Shadow returns on creatures who know how to exploit dimensional backroads, and there are a lot of ways to gain or lose it (allegations of parasitism can suck my dick). Temporal stutter gives spell the tendency to Rebound. There's an enchantment that traps hostile magic in a time-loop; it works like Oblivion Ring except it targets a spell on the stack and subsequently allows the spell's owner to cast it for free.

-Speaking of that: The lovely thing about Time Spiral for new players was that it predate the NWO, so they included weird mechanics far past the point of saturation. If done with moderation, cards with one-off mechanics can still be a thing. At the very least, you should have a cycle of legendaries who each have an obscure keyword ability. Did you know that Nicol Bolas had a samurai empire on Dominaria at one point? And that he got murked by one of the kids from the Umezawa clan, of Jitte fame? I just read that poo poo on the wiki. Print another one of those guys and give the dude Bushido, it'll be a laugh.

-People in this neighborhood are loving done going along with the cataclysmic gambits that Planeswalkers always wanna pull. We meet a couple new 'Walkers with whom the locals abide, but they do not have ultimate abilities.

Meh.

Eikre
May 2, 2009

Star Man posted:

It is a tool which can be used to variable degrees, and a medium with hallmarks that can be either accentuated or minimized. Their stable of artists is large enough to choose between, and the individuals themselves are presumably versatile enough to lean into an aestetic.

For example, the the most recent sets have included work by both Cynthia Sheppard and Dave Kendall, and these are examples of their work:

Sheppard's work is perfect for the Romance/Neoclassicalism of Innistrad and Theros, whereas Kendall actually has work defining the period that I'd like to evoke. You can prioritize one of these artists for setting-defining work over the other.

Furthermore, you might look at two pieces by another recent contributor, Steven Belledin:

One has a quality of non-literal illustration, and the other is a hyper-real demonstration of technical ability. The latter is not desirable under this aestetic, but it's fine, because the artist is clearly capable of works like the former.

GoutPatrol posted:

I liked this.

Meh.

I should mention I had other interplays in mind: Shadow gives you two fronts to fight on, and a counter-placing/moving sub-theme gives you a way to prioritize one of those fronts over the other.

Rebound, Evolve, and Double-Sided Cards that flip on upkeep are meant to make you more interested in the sequence in which you play your cards and the favorable overlap of effects that change or repeat between turns.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
As someone who's played with it in both blocks it has been used, shadow is a terrible mechanic. It just turns games into races (only one player has shadow) or does nothing (both or neither of the players have it).

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

whydirt posted:

As someone who's played with it in both blocks it has been used, shadow is a terrible mechanic. It just turns games into races (only one player has shadow) or does nothing (both or neither of the players have it).

Both of those criticisms could be leveled at flying, which isn't generally considered a terrible mechanic. Shadow is maybe a bit moreso because of the implications for blocking, but that can be a disadvantage as well and doesn't mean it's actually a bad mechanic at all. Shadow is just fine- Tempest Block limited was not good (by modern standards) for reasons that have nothing to do with shadow, and TSP limited owned.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Under current design philosophy evolve and persist wouldn't be in the same block because they don't mix +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
It's mostly a thing of not being able to tell whether a card across the table with a 1 on a dice on it has a +1/+1 or a -1/-1; I'm pretty sure it'd be surmountable with some kind of indicator card or insert, but it's something you have to dedicate a fair amount of room to

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

Under current design philosophy evolve and persist wouldn't be in the same block because they don't mix +1/+1 and -1/-1 counters.

Which means -1/-1 counters are done because they make too many feelbads and making your monster grow feels good

• Locked thread