Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The plot of Hidden Fortress really isn't very similar to A New Hope, that is always overrated because Lucas' comments on the subject are often misunderstood. He took what he saw as the best aspect of Hidden Fortress, the fact that the entrance point of the story and audience surrogates are peasants, and transplanted that idea into his own epic adventure story. The fact that both movies feature a princess character is really the only other significant plot similarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Basebf555 posted:

The plot of Hidden Fortress really isn't very similar to A New Hope, that is always overrated because Lucas' comments on the subject are often misunderstood. He took what he saw as the best aspect of Hidden Fortress, the fact that the entrance point of the story and audience surrogates are peasants, and transplanted that idea into his own epic adventure story. The fact that both movies feature a princess character is really the only other significant plot similarity.

The original screenplay for Star Wars was pretty much a direct adaptation. It's just that he used that as a starting point, and each draft got further and further from it. I agree, you can't really say A New Hope is basically Hidden Fortress isn't being remotely fair. In it's final form, it's almost nothing like it, other than peasants, princess, and a literal hidden "fortress".

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Lincoln posted:

Is there a non-pain-in-the-rear end way to view/download Harmy's Despecialzed Edition? On a Mac, if that matters.

Get the TeamNegative1 35 mm restoration instead. The despecialized edition actually has like twice as many added effects as the special edition.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Seconding that. It is the best version for watching - I might see if I can get the local theater to let me book a private screening and play it some time.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Detective No. 27 posted:

Star War 2: Snoke's Revenge

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

General Dog posted:

The despecialized edition actually has like twice as many added effects as the special edition.

What are you on about?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

starkebn posted:

What are you on about?

Heh, I mean technically he's right. Added effects to mimic the original appearance mostly, but still technically right.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

starkebn posted:

What are you on about?

I think he might be thinking of Adywan's version.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

I think he might be thinking of Adywan's version.

maybe, I just looked up that name and yeah, a lot of changes in that one

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
I want a special edition of the complete saga with music as the only audio.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

thrawn527 posted:

The original screenplay for Star Wars was pretty much a direct adaptation. It's just that he used that as a starting point, and each draft got further and further from it. I agree, you can't really say A New Hope is basically Hidden Fortress isn't being remotely fair. In it's final form, it's almost nothing like it, other than peasants, princess, and a literal hidden "fortress".

Yeah, it's not super similar, but it does feature two lower class folks who split up after escaping from a battle, and rejoin one another, and then accompany a noble warrior trying to get a princess to a hidden base. Many similar elements to C-3PO and R2D2, and if you mashed-up Luke and Obi-Wan into a single character.

Similarly, Eragon has the main character living on a farm with his uncle, until his farming family is killed off by soldiers from the evil empire who are looking for the magic egg he has, and he meets a mysterious wizard who gives him a magical sword and tells him all about his mysterious destiny.

It's these sort of things that I'm looking for. Pretty direct lifts.

PostNouveau posted:

The Force Awakens

:goonsay:

First entry on my list :chord:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

UmOk posted:

This, because it's the closest we'd ever get to a complete soundtrack of AOTC and ROTS. :(

(There actually is an audio track on the TPM DVD [and maybe Blu-ray?] that's just this.)

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Bugblatter posted:

Heh, I mean technically he's right. Added effects to mimic the original appearance mostly, but still technically right.

This

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003

Lord Hydronium posted:

This, because it's the closest we'd ever get to a complete soundtrack of AOTC and ROTS. :(

(There actually is an audio track on the TPM DVD [and maybe Blu-ray?] that's just this.)

There is no soundtrack for those two? How is that possible? AOTC has the best music of the whole series

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

There's an official soundtrack for both, but they're chopped up, out of order, and missing a lot of material. The OT got Special Edition releases with every track as it was recorded (even the unused ones), TFA got an almost complete score release on its soundtrack, even TPM got a straight rip of the movie's music audio track - which is heavily edited and missing a fair amount of recorded material, but it's better than nothing. AOTC and ROTS got just the one release, and there's a ton of stuff even in the movies that's not available on its own. It's a drat shame, because there's some very good material in there.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I think that they've butchered the OST's for all the films recently, as I was listening to the ANH soundtrack on Spotify and a lot of the songs are gone from the listing

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My favorite cue in all of Star Wars does not exist on the soundtrack. But it's where Anakin Vs Obi Wan transitions to Duel of the Fates. Gave me chills when I saw it and still kinda does.

UmOk
Aug 3, 2003
That's bizarre that the some of the most iconic soundtracks of all time don't have proper releases.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

On the bright side, there are a ton of bootlegs floating around YouTube and the Internet at large, as quite a lot of that unreleased Prequel music still made it into video games like Battlefront 2 and SWTOR.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
All this soundtrack talk reminds me of when the Episode I soundtrack spoiled one of the biggest death scenes in the whole trilogy weeks before the movie was released. That was hilarious.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

UmOk posted:

That's bizarre that the some of the most iconic soundtracks of all time don't have proper releases.

The original trilogy at least did, as was mentioned above. Two discs each, here's the ANH one. https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000003G8X

They are great. But it looks like you can't get them new anymore.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

UmOk posted:

I tried doing this once, for Phantom Menace, about 12 years ago. I have the 2-disc complete score and I also borrowed other John Williams music to fill in where there are gaps with no score in the film.

My goal was to make a mock "original" black-and-white silent picture, like it was a long-lost print of an unreleased film from that era that Lucas uncovered and then tried to pass off as his own by colorizing and dubbing it. I was even going to change the frame rate of the CGI to make it look more like stop-motion animation.

It morphed into a regular fan edit by the end, though. I found I was too wordy in my intertitles and I also wanted to cut some stuff I didn't like visually. I've always sort of wanted to revisit it, just never had the time.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

thrawn527 posted:

The original trilogy at least did, as was mentioned above. Two discs each, here's the ANH one. https://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Original-Picture-Soundtrack/dp/B000003G8X

They are great. But it looks like you can't get them new anymore.
You can, actually, just not with the nice original packaging. ANH, ESB, and ROTJ are at those links (and based on the covers, were probably re-releases for the OT DVDs). They also used to be on Prime Music, but seem to have been taken down for some reason; I'm not sure about other streaming services.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOKBAWvZ1NE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UFJ6SjSAyI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcZvkIB-mGo

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

the judy dench one is pretty good

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

(FUNNY)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

97% of YouTube is insidious.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

ungulateman posted:

Now, I'm not privy to every detail of the Clone Wars' development, but I feel like the latter arc (which was written earlier) probably came from the staff, while Season 6's stories were more tightly controlled by Lucas himself. The idea of Anakin 'bringing balance to the Force' by being equally Light and Dark is a very popular fan theory, and there's evidence to suggest a lot of people in-universe think it's true (like the Sith themselves), but George Lucas has always been clear that 'bringing balance to the Force' is about overcoming the Dark Side, and nobody ever talks about 'the Light Side of the Force' until TFA.

(I just saw a short interview with David Feloni which says George Lucas was very involved with the Mortis arc and ended up cutting out some Sith lords from KOTOR that he decided didn't agree with how he saw the Force, so while I think my broader points have merit this episode isn't a fuckup by somebody else or anything.)

As you say, Lucas was very involved with the Mortis arc, and the Mortis arc makes it clear that too much light is just as bad as too much dark. But it's just that the specific situation in the original six Star Wars movies is that the Force is being thrown out of balance towards too much darkness, which is why the Sith need to be destroyed in order for there to be balance.

I think the allegory of the Mortis arc also makes a pretty good case that the Jedi also had to go by the time Episode III rolls around. That's not to say Sidious's Jedi Purge was justified. The Jedi's destruction was just a natural consequence of their own shortsighted actions. They ultimately self-destructed as a result of their own descent into darkness. If they had remained true to their principles, then Order 66 would never have even been a possibility, and the old Jedi Order's elimination would not have been necessary in order for balance to eventually be reestablished. But a big part of the story of Star Wars is about the failures of large, ossified authority structures and the need for their occasional destruction followed by youthful, individualistic rejuvenation.

e: I'm not entirely sure what "too much light" would even look like, but I suspect it would be something like the world we see in THX 1138. A world completely devoid of passion or individual identity, or any sort of creative destruction. In that sense I suppose you could argue that the Jedi Order at the outset of the prequels exhibits some of these qualities, which may have led to the over correction represented by the reemergence of the Sith in the first place (and also ties in with the Jedi blithely taking control of an army composed entirely of THX-reminiscent clones). That's a bit of a fuzzier argument, but it is clear that the Jedi Order is not in its ideal state even before the influence of the Sith starts to corrupt them towards war, with Qui-Gon being presented in Episode I as a more freethinking, individualistic knight-errant at odds with the more sedentary and orthodox Jedi leadership council.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Feb 9, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
There's no light side of the force in the Jedi/Sith dichotomy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Halloween Jack posted:

There's no light side of the force in the Jedi/Sith dichotomy.

If there's a "dark" side, the other side of that is inherently "light", even if it's not directly named as such.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

jivjov posted:

If there's a "dark" side, the other side of that is inherently "light", even if it's not directly named as such.

I think he was trying to say the Jedi shouldn't be seen as the light side? I don't know.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

jivjov posted:

The Force is to a great extent just the power of belief. There's power, and abuse of power. There's no such concept as the opposite of abuse. The Jedi/Sith Light/Dark dichotomy is videogame stuff and the concept of "too much light side" is a rabbit hole leading to ridiculous notions.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

The Force is to a great extent just the power of belief. There's power, and abuse of power. There's no such concept as the opposite of abuse. The Jedi/Sith Light/Dark dichotomy is videogame stuff and the concept of "too much light side" is a rabbit hole leading to ridiculous notions.

This, thank you.

Consequently, the Mortis arc is interesting but not very good, and indulges in "videogame stuff."

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gonz posted:

97% of YouTube is insidious.

A sith....lord?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

RBA Starblade posted:

A sith....lord?

Mace Windu is a stupid rear end in a top hat, this is canon. He's kind of like the Jedi's version of Tarkin.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

RBA Starblade posted:

A sith....lord?

There are several questionable and lovely line deliveries throughout the prequel trilogy but I'm still stunned this made it into the final movie. Like, THE ENTIRE TRILOGY was building up to this moment.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

General Dog posted:

Mace Windu is a stupid rear end in a top hat, this is canon. He's kind of like the Jedi's version of Tarkin.

Tarkin auccesfully identified, then obliterated from orbit, the employee who he made unhappy due to his refusal to promote him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Mace Windu had Obi-Wan track a key conspirator in a massive scheme involving a secret clone army, Jedi Masters, and the Senate over the course of several weeks to see what they could find out from him. When Mace Windu was fortunate enough to encounter the man face to face he disarmed him, and then immediately cut his head off.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Jango was just a simple man, trying to make his way in the universe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
He is survived by his 35,000,000 sons, 100%* of which he sold into white slavery.

*to five significant figures

• Locked thread