Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
yes, so if you blobbed together a bunch of infantry squads, it's a single unit. if you didn't blob them together, they're separate units

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

ijyt posted:

Welp, there go my plans for playing infinity/killteam sized games with my rotbringers.

Try this:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10108184/Hinterlands%202.0.pdf

It's a community made Kill Team type of system for AoS. I haven't tried it, but it looks like it might be good.

GreenMarine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 7, 2017

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

The extra action if something dies near you mechanic could be really fun. Killing a unit in close combat, consolidate, charge another unit could be cool.

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015

TheChirurgeon posted:

A platoon is made of multiple units. A squad and its transport are two separate units unless otherwise noted. If the rule says you roll for each unit, then you roll for each of these, not the whole platoon. Each squad in the Platoon is a unit that is a Troops choice.

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

yes, so if you blobbed together a bunch of infantry squads, it's a single unit. if you didn't blob them together, they're separate units

Thanks, that's what I figured. A glorious mess, then.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Decorus posted:

Thanks, that's what I figured. A glorious mess, then.

I don't know if what WJ says is true because I don't know the specific rules for squads in a platoon. From what I do remember, you need 3+ squads in the platoon and a command squad, and each of these *should* be considered a separate unit, regardless of whether you join them up on the table. A unit isn't just "what's on the table." Like yeah, you can join a character to a unit to create a single unit for game purposes, but if the whole group dies, you've lost two units, and you only roll for the troops part to come back, not the IC.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

TheChirurgeon posted:

From what I do remember, you need 3+ squads in the platoon and a command squad, and each of these *should* be considered a separate unit, regardless of whether you join them up on the table.

no

quote:

If you decide to form Combined Squads in this manner, they are treated as a single unit for whole of the game.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
OK, then yeah. If you do that, you roll when the whole blob dies.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In another possible sign of of GW pulling their heads from their asses the community page announced today that they're monitoring tournament results for AoS to tweak underperforming/over performing armies for the and will be playtesting adjusted point values at an upcoming Grand Tournament.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
New rules for the Eldar from Gathering Storm leaked (e: Just the glossary from the book, but there's a lot there):
http://imgur.com/a/dbR41

Decorus
Aug 26, 2015
Here's my dumb excuse to use my old Ultramarines I painted ages ago, back when white metal was the hot new thing that meant my marines weren't poisonous anymore. I'll have to paint up a Rhino I have lying somewhere, but otherwise this is just a modification of my IG mech inf.

quote:

Castellans of the Imperium 1500 pts

Chapter Tactics
Ultramarines

HQ

Company Command Squad
Flak Armour, Krak Grenades
Veteran Mortar Team, Vox-caster
Master of Ordnance
Chimera
Heavy Flamer
Autocannon

Enginseer

Troops

Infantry Platoon

Platoon Command Squad
3x Flamer, Krak Grenades, Vox-caster
Taurox
Pintle-mounted Heavy Stubber

Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher, Vox-caster, Missile Launcher Team
Chimera
Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser, Pintle-mounted Heavy Stubber

Infantry Squad
Grenade Launcher, Vox-caster, Missile Launcher Team
Chimera
Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser, Pintle-mounted Heavy Stubber

Veterans
Krak Grenades, 3x Plasma Gun, Vox-caster
Chimera
Dozer Blade, Heavy Bolter, Multi-laser, Pintle-mounted Heavy Stubber

Tactical Squad
7 Marines, 1xFlamer
Space Marine Veteran Sergeant, Bolt Pistol, Power Fist
Rhino
Dozer blade

Tactical Squad
5 Marines, 1xMissile Launcher
Missile Launcher

Fast Attack

Armoured Sentinel
Lascannon

Armoured Sentinel
Lascannon

Heavy Support

Basilisk
Enclosed Crew Compartment, Heavy Bolter

Leman Russ Battle Tank
Dozer Blade, Lascannon, Pintle-mounted Storm Bolter

Someone was complaining about a lack of pictures, so here are the marines in their half-completed glory. I really should get around to finishing the squad markings and bases. I have the models to turn these guys into an army of their own eventually.

The parade of banners!

3rd Coy, 1st Squad led by veteran sgt. Scipio

2nd squad, led by veteran sgt. Ticinus

Dreadnought Domitius, banner missing

Finally, the most humble captain Decorus of the 3rd company

My mech inf pictures.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

TheChirurgeon posted:

New rules for the Eldar from Gathering Storm leaked (e: Just the glossary from the book, but there's a lot there):

United in death could be crazy good depending on what's in the formation. A whole formation taking a second shooting phase EVERY TURN! That sounds like Tau level of BS.

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe
Let's get some more plastic metal dolls miniatures in here. Through eBay rescues I've obtained some odd 30 or so vintage Harlequin models, later I've also added modern models to their numbers, mostly via other second hand deals. They're pretty different from my other army so while progress is slow it's nice to have a change of pace. Here's some (blurry) shots of what is completed so far:

All bunched up and laughing.

Some of the Troupe Masters. Can't make up my mind which one I want to use as Warlord.

Modern Shadowseer. I have some of the vintage Harlequin models painted up too, they have powerfists and lightning claws!

A Solitaire.

Ask me about playing footslogging Tyranids and mono-Harlequins in 7th edition :suicide:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

In another possible sign of of GW pulling their heads from their asses the community page announced today that they're monitoring tournament results for AoS to tweak underperforming/over performing armies for the and will be playtesting adjusted point values at an upcoming Grand Tournament.

Did they ever announce that for 40k?

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.
That sounds like a good opportunity to nerf Flying Tyrants for 'nids. Clearly they are OP, when everyone uses so many of them!

Soulfucker
Feb 15, 2012

i,m going to kill myself on friday #wow #whoa
Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

lol

To avoid a one word reply - regarding Harlequins, if I'm enough of a retard to run them without allies, am I better off using a full Cegorach's Revenge formation or two Masque detachments using multiple small Troupes in Starweavers? I keep thinking the second option is relatively less shooting myself in the foot, since despite not getting to reroll 1s for invurnerable saves I'm not obligated to pick up three Death Jesters of questionable utility. The lack of a HQ and most of the formations requiring you to sink points into mediocre units is frustrating.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

LingcodKilla posted:

No, but I think it's a good sign that they're doing it at all and could be a sign of what they'll do when the new edition launches this year.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

No, but I think it's a good sign that they're doing it at all and could be a sign of what they'll do when the new edition launches this year.

So trusting. More like it's a good sign they are going to throw 40k as we know it on the dumpster fire and just role out new 40k armies for AOS. Slims down the rules!

REEEEEE!

lol I'm sure it means nothing just speculating

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Soulfucker posted:

lol

To avoid a one word reply - regarding Harlequins, if I'm enough of a retard to run them without allies, am I better off using a full Cegorach's Revenge formation or two Masque detachments using multiple small Troupes in Starweavers? I keep thinking the second option is relatively less shooting myself in the foot, since despite not getting to reroll 1s for invurnerable saves I'm not obligated to pick up three Death Jesters of questionable utility. The lack of a HQ and most of the formations requiring you to sink points into mediocre units is frustrating.

I thought you can only take one of the Masque detachments (The Coherian Host) because the are full of the unique units like Inriam's spectre and the blades of fate which you can only take one of. Honestly, unless you are playing in a tournament, I think the best way to run them in unbound. If anyone complains remind them you are playing mono Harlequins.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Question: has anyone here ever just stopped using an army, quit it cold-turkey? Just said "gently caress it" 100% and sold off the bits?

If so, why, and do you regret it?

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
Not sure if this counts since I didn't sell much of the army but...

I put my necrons in a box about 4 years ago cause I was crushing my friends with them and it wasn't really fun for anyone. I have opened the box once since then to sell some of the unpainted models. Paid a little attention when the new codex came out but when I heard they buffed them I lost interest.

I have no regrets, but I think if I had sold the models I painted there would have been some regret as I still always have the possibility of picking back up the army again.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

Question: has anyone here ever just stopped using an army, quit it cold-turkey? Just said "gently caress it" 100% and sold off the bits?

Yeah Orks right around 4rth. Had about 80 boys and stuff painted up decently but I was so bad at playing them at the time that I simply sold them off.

I'm still bad at playing/posting but I actually enjoy painting them so I'm now balls deep in orks again.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Ynnead really seems to like the number 7.

But isn't that already Nurgle's number?

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

TheChirurgeon posted:

These are interesting rules; it's obviously hard to say if they're *good*, but the special rules seeeem to emphasize foot slogging eldar infantry. I like this!

Favored of Ynnead posted:

Your warlord and their units can make a Soulburst action when they are within 14'' of a unit that is destroyed, rather than 7''

Soulburst special rule posted:

A unit making a Soulburst action can do one of the following, even if it has already done so this turn:

The unit can immediately move as if it was your movement phase

The unit can immediately shoot (or run or turboboost) as if it were your shooting phase

The unit can immediately make a charge move as if it were your charge subphase

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Ynnead really seems to like the number 7.

But isn't that already Nurgle's number?

Could be nothing. Could be Death related.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
It looks like you can't really go from combat to combat, you pick up where you left off with the initiative step in the next combat. Would be cool to punk a Bloodthirster with some low I attacks, and he wouldn't be able to attack back.

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

MasterSlowPoke posted:

It looks like you can't really go from combat to combat, you pick up where you left off with the initiative step in the next combat. Would be cool to punk a Bloodthirster with some low I attacks, and he wouldn't be able to attack back.

Yeah, but it also [potentially] keeps you from being stranded in the open after wiping a unit in close combat.

Does the wording on the extra charge ('as if it were your charge sub phase') prevent you from charging after a run? I'm thinking yes =(

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

These are interesting rules; it's obviously hard to say if they're *good*, but the special rules seeeem to emphasize foot slogging eldar infantry. I like this!

Yeah, though note that there are two Eldar forces in the book: Ynnead's people and the Ulthwe strike force

e: Faeit's got photos from the new book
http://natfka.blogspot.com/2017/02/images-from-inside-fracture-of-biel-tan.html

e2: The Ynnead list looks a lot like the Castellans detachment. I'm trying to figure out what it *can't* take, beyond the Haemonculi. Although the flip side of this is that it doesn't get any formation bonuses, just the basic detachment stuff, and makes you choose between a WK or avatar of Ynnead. Wonder how strong it will be.

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 7, 2017

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
looks like the Eldar in the list lose Ancient Doom, Battle Focus, and Power from Pain, but gain a few different rules

E: Not visible here, but it's 1-2 HQ, 2-6 Troops, 0-3 Elites, 0-3 FA, 0-3 HS, 0-1 LoW

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
A lot will ride on what units have the soul burst ability...

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

Uroboros posted:

A lot will ride on what units have the soul burst ability...

Everything in the faction has it.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

I've sold off a few armies that were non-starters - Warriors of Chaos in WHFB (no community in my area at the time), Tau, Flesh Tearers, and Tyranids in 40k 5th edition (armies didn't grab me), and more recently, an old Ork army I painted in college. Most of those armies didn't represent much time or effort - I hadn't even painted a single model for the 40k armies, and I only ever played one game with the Tau. I don't regret any of those. The Orks I only sold because I didn't like how they looked, hadn't used them in years as a result, and I'd painted up a way prettier Ork army that I preferred playing with. Those Orks took a lot of thought to sell off though, I generally don't like selling off old models or armies. The amount of time and energy put into building and painting armies is pretty significant, and you won't get a return on that investment almost ever.

That being said, I have a Guard army I also painted in college I might get rid of since I haven't played them once since building my Valhallans in 2012 :v:

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
I gave away most of my stuff to a local school club. I don't regret it at all.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I've dumped two fantasy armies cause, you know.
I've gotten rid of most of my GW armies cause, you know.

I'll be taking a big ork army to adepticon to try to get some money out of it.

Don't regret it a bit!

EDIT: I'll be keeping my GSC/Tyranid army cause I like them, and my 30k Children army. That's about it.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I'm selling a bunch of armies this year. Most of it is stuff that I thought I'd get around to 'one day'

I want to focus my attention on what I can do, in the short term.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

OMG sriracha pudding! posted:

Everything in the faction has it.

Seems like that could get nasty, oh great I get shot by more windriders when I kill them.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I sold my 40k Space Marines and WHFB Ogres when I quit a few years back.

Kinda regret selling the Ogres, just cuz it was probably my best painting work.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002

Uroboros posted:

Seems like that could get nasty, oh great I get shot by more windriders when I kill them.

They only get to use it when an enemy unit dies that is 7" to from them, and each unit can only use it once a turn. So its not really great for windriders as they are rarely 7" from enemy units. Although that will likely change when you are playing this army.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
I could see that rule being disastrous for Genestealer Cult.

JesusIsTehCool
Aug 26, 2002
So if I am reading the the soulburst rule right, if you kill something at initiative 1, you can charge someone but no one would get to make any attacks as you would start the combat at initiative 0.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gato The Elder
Apr 14, 2006

Pillbug

JesusIsTehCool posted:

They only get to use it when an enemy unit dies that is 7" to from them, and each unit can only use it once a turn. So its not really great for windriders as they are rarely 7" from enemy units. Although that will likely change when you are playing this army.

No, it works when any unit destroyed, and there are a couple of ways to increase the range to 14''

JesusIsTehCool posted:

So if I am reading the the soulburst rule right, if you kill something at initiative 1, you can charge someone but no one would get to make any attacks as you would start the combat at initiative 0.

Right, but you'd be locked in combat for the next turn, which is great if you don't like being shot. It also works during, say, your opponents shooting phase.

• Locked thread