Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

They're cheap reliable power. i used to be this way too, but then after pinning liners for 10 years? i woke up. Reliable power is reliable power. cylinders/manufacturer doesnt matter.

E: i donno why i'm even arguing. I hate cars anyway.

End of the day: I don't care, I don't want a V8, I'm not hungry from crazy horsepower, and its not for me. I don't care if you do it, good for you, go for it.

Just not my thing. I want to achieve the goals with the engine I like, that's all. I don't want to just take the easy route, because it gains me nothing and I'd feel like I cheated to achieve what I wanted.

BraveUlysses posted:

but how are you supposed to maintain your carhipster cred if you swap something that "everybody" else does? bloo bloo

:shrug: He hated on the diesel. Nobody hates on the diesel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

End of the day: I don't care, I don't want a V8, I'm not hungry from crazy horsepower, and its not for me. I don't care if you do it, good for you, go for it.

Just not my thing.
:shrug: He hated on the diesel. Nobody hates on the diesel.

yeah sorry, i only do diesels in cars, so no LS for me either. :D If someone wants to repower their poo poo with a ls? cool. go for it.

Gas engines are cute, but I care torque and rattles.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

yeah sorry, i only do diesels in cars, so no LS for me either. :D

Gas engines are cute, but I care torque and rattles.

Something being easy is not a good argument for doing it in my mind. Doing hard things that will require me to learn new skills and take the road less taken is more exciting to me than just following the crowd. Because regardless if an LS can achieve great power, its not like you had to sacrifice to get there. And that doesn't feel right to me.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You arent the average moron, as AI saw last year with a LS swap in a van failed horribly . not everbody is good at magic pixies in PCMs and wiring harnesses.... Or even motivation to swap an engine....

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Powershift posted:

Was it the greatest car in the world?

Nope.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

"Let's do the same thing everyone else does! How original! My LS swap best LS swap"
Who gives a poo poo about how original it is? that's not the point, the point is the usability and reliability.

it being a common thing to do helps, it means there are other people who worked out the kinks, sunk the money, and felt the pain of failure so you don't have to.

It's not about always about showing everybody else what you have, it's about enjoying what you have. Who gives a poo poo if some internet autist doesn't think it's interesting enough for them or doesn't think it was enough work to do.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I am become the drat PO :argh:
Holy poo poo this is me on the 928. At a certain point I just stopped caring about little things that didn't effect driving it. Guy texted me back, he just moved and his bank is 5 hours away so he's having them send him a check or something. He wants the car and will have cash Friday :woot:

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've fallen in love with those Howard Leight shootymuffs. They have two microphones and amplify sounds, so you can be in the woods and hear a squirrel fart. But then when it gets loud (like angle grinding or shooting) they muffle and cancel the sound. Like $40 but I've got two pairs.
I think someone in one of the monthly threads recommended those and I ordered a pair for working in the garage. Liked them so much I ordered another for work. Girlfriend gives me poo poo when I use them to vacuum but drat they work great.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Who gives a poo poo about how original it is? that's not the point, the point is the usability and reliability.

it being a common thing to do helps, it means there are other people who worked out the kinks, sunk the money, and felt the pain of failure so you don't have to.

It's not about always about showing everybody else what you have, it's about enjoying what you have. Who gives a poo poo if some internet autist doesn't think it's interesting enough for them or doesn't think it was enough work to do.

Like I said, if you enjoy it, go for it. All I offered was my opinion, not fact.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You people and your engines that have more than four cylinders. :rolleyes: What are you compensating for here?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I've seen Subaru head gaskets that are more reliable than LS motors.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

If you want a Chevy motor, just go buy a loving Chevy.

CommieGIR posted:

Like I said, if you enjoy it, go for it. All I offered was my opinion, not fact.

Glad we could get you to come around.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
You guys keep buying up and arguing over what ls goes where. I'mma go round up inline six diesels and swap everything.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I agree, inline four diesels for everyone.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 7, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I was actually looking at the 1.0 ecoboost.

They're about $1000. 2 door falcons were about 2200lbs with steel body pannels and a cast iron everything i6 that made 95hp. Imagine a little ~150hp i3 and fiberglass panels. You could have a sub-2000lb "muscle car" that gets 40mpg.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Glad we could get you to come around.

The moral of the story is don't suggest an LS swap in place of a Mercedes Diesel to me.

Fermented Tinal posted:

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Feb 7, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
Only hipster cred emgine swap is biturbos in everything. Ferrari engines in Fieros are cool too.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

nm posted:

Ferrari engines in Fieros are cool too.

I'm worried I'm going to learn this is a real thing the moment I google it.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

cursedshitbox posted:

You arent the average moron, as AI saw last year with a LS swap in a van failed horribly . not everbody is good at magic pixies in PCMs and wiring harnesses.... Or even motivation to swap an engine....

Hey now, some of us successfully swapped things out of vans.

Whether or not the van survived is a different story of course. :v:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

CommieGIR posted:

"My LS swap best LS swap"

Nah, that title belongs to Ash spelled with a 5Bape.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

ExplodingSims posted:

Hey now, some of us successfully swapped things out of vans.

Whether or not the van survived is a different story of course. :v:

I hate to spoil it for you, but the van didn't survive.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

Fermented Tinal posted:

ferrari and lada is real and rad

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Fermented Tinal posted:

God I hope so.
There waa a ferrari 308 with a fiero v6 on jalopnik once and that needa to be countered.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What the hell is wrong with people?

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

CommieGIR posted:

"Let's do the same thing everyone else does! How original! My LS swap best LS swap"

drat u must have really high iq to have such edgy opinions

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

CommieGIR posted:

The moral of the story is don't suggest an LS swap in place of a Mercedes Diesel to me.

I swapped an LS into my brown dieselcar right before I worked out and watched football. Also arduinos suck.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

wallaka posted:

I swapped an LS into my brown dieselcar right before I worked out and watched football. Also arduinos suck.

Did you then paint the brown ls dieselcar flat black and put monster stickers on it?

that would be rad, bro.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Powershift posted:

Did you then paint the brown ls dieselcar flat black and put monster stickers on it?

that would be rad, bro.

Stanced it.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Today I saw a Mazda Tribute in the wild.

Hey now, my father has one of those and he loves it.

(maybe I was adopted?)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

You're a criminal.

fridge corn posted:

drat u must have really high iq to have such edgy opinions

:ironicat:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

wallaka posted:

Also arduinos suck.
Everyone knows true aficionados use the MSP430.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Everyone knows true aficionados use the MSP430.

The TI Launchpad? I got one of those. Pretty nice, but pricey. Got mine for free through a Lunch and Learn event.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

We get it CommieGIR, you don't like LS swaps. You've told us you don't care quite a lot. No one's trying to convert you, go take a walk if you're getting as upset as you seem.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Fuuuck me, I just completed a coding assessment for $ONLINE_RETAILER. It was fun, a lot more so than the one for the hedge fund, but the requirements listed for the second coding challenge didn't match the automated tests at all. I did my best to document that professionally and move on. Hopefully that won't count against me.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

The TI Launchpad? I got one of those. Pretty nice, but pricey. Got mine for free through a Lunch and Learn event.

Launchpads are mighty cheap, cheaper than Arduinos. Plus you get a spare MSP430 and a USB cable in the box for some reason, and you can cut it in half and use it as a programmer.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I want a 1UZ swap. Japanese V8. I want it because I grew up watching US TV shows with cars which had V8s and I've forever loved the noise...

Japanese engine, Japanese car, American soundtrack.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I've fallen in love with those Howard Leight shootymuffs. They have two microphones and amplify sounds, so you can be in the woods and hear a squirrel fart. But then when it gets loud (like angle grinding or shooting) they muffle and cancel the sound. Like $40 but I've got two pairs.

My brother has a pair of them, and they're pretty neat. I have a pair of Ryobi muffs for yardwork/garage that work the same way, but are powered by their 4V LIon stick batteries. They're a lot bulkier (because of the battery), but they also provide slightly more protection. Both the Leights and the Ryobis have an MP3-player input as well, which is nice when mowing.

Geoj posted:

I think I'd rather take the reality portrayed in Idiocracy than our current reality.

At least in Idiocracy the dumbing-down was supposed to have been across the board, so even those at the height of power were idiots. Instead we have an idiot electorate who elected an idiot figurehead president who is being controlled by a literal white nationalist - who is admittedly crazy, but far from stupid.

I was just thinking that. At least when everyone is stupid, you don't notice. There are times when I literally wish I were a lot less smarter, so the kind of dumb poo poo that happens wouldn't bother me. Either that, or I was way smarter so I could think my way around it/make a bunch of money and leave. I'm in that smarter than average (not difficult) but by no means genius area (I think. Seems that way to me.) Smart enough to know how much smarter really smart folks are?

CommieGIR posted:

And I don't care. As soon as I hear some car is an LS swap, I just lose interest and walk away.

If you want to LS swap your Mercedes/Audi/Toyota/etc. just got buy a Corvette or some other GM/Chevy and just be done with it.

If you want a Chevy motor, just go buy a loving Chevy.

What if I like the car/styling/handling, but their engines are crap?
I mean, I hear you, I not only own an Oldsmobile that still has an Olds engine, but several RX-7s, all of which still have non-operating rotaries, but perhaps you've heard of "hot-rodding"? It's a thing where one takes a common/cheap body and chassis, and fits a common/cheap drivetrain in it, then you go fast/loud.
It's also one definition of Automotive Insanity.

cursedshitbox posted:

But then you're stuck with herpes on wheels known as a gm product. They do make good powertrains. everything else is hot diarrhea.

And to an extent, that.

Don't get me wrong - I like OEM-style swaps, interesting engines, and things built to a purpose as well. I was looking at that wagon with an eye for the utility of a wagon, MB tank-like solidity, and V8 power with decent fuel mileage, from a daily driver viewpoint. You're looking at it for a different purpose.
I like diesels, but unfortunately, I really hate the smell. I still get a kick out of the several 6BT-powered hot rods I've seen, and a few Duramax powered muscle cars. I think I could live with a 4BT '80s minitruck...

Fermented Tinal posted:

You people and your engines that have more than four cylinders. :rolleyes: What are you compensating for here?

A lack of horsepower in 4-cylinders?

Powershift posted:

I was actually looking at the 1.0 ecoboost.

They're about $1000. 2 door falcons were about 2200lbs with steel body pannels and a cast iron everything i6 that made 95hp. Imagine a little ~150hp i3 and fiberglass panels. You could have a sub-2000lb "muscle car" that gets 40mpg.

I kind of wonder how one of those would do in a first-gen RX-7. they did alright with 104 HP and 100 lb.ft. Wouldn't be far off the original engine characteristics. More HP and probably torque.

cursedshitbox posted:

You guys keep buying up and arguing over what ls goes where. I'mma go round up inline six diesels and swap everything.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I know someone's done it to an RX-8. Any bets on getting a 6BT in an RX-7? 4BT is too easy.

nm posted:

Only hipster cred emgine swap is biturbos in everything. Ferrari engines in Fieros are cool too.

I think a Ferrari V6 or V8 in a Fiero would be pretty loving cool, but I like the Fiero's styling, at least the GTs and Formulas, anyway.

CommieGIR posted:

Wasn't suggesting it to you. I was saying what I saw when I looked at the ad. Calm down. You do what you want, not that you need my permission.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cakesmith handyman posted:

No one's trying to convert you, go take a walk if you're getting as upset as you seem.

:colbert: I ain't upset. Let a man sperg once in a while.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Fermented Tinal posted:

I hate to spoil it for you, but the van didn't survive.

It's still out there isn't it?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want a 1UZ swap. Japanese V8. I want it because I grew up watching US TV shows with cars which had V8s and I've forever loved the noise...

Japanese engine, Japanese car, American soundtrack.

These too. I keep looking at Youtube videos of LS400s with modified exhausts...

edit: pity Mazda never made a V8. That at least would be keeping it in the family to swap into an RX-7.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CommieGIR posted:

:colbert: I ain't upset. Let a man sperg once in a while.

Okey dokey.

My dad's still talking about a swap in his scimitar (3.1 Ford v6, pisses fuel everywhere, gets about 6mpg, historically correct but a piece of crap). He wants to put in either a Volvo white block turbo or D5, I'm trying to steer him towards a Lexus V8. I just hope he doesn't randomly decide to sell it and not tell me.

• Locked thread