Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Went to a Monster Jam event over the weekend and it was a blast, watching a 12,000 pound truck with 1500 HP fly through the air like a loving dirt bike is pretty drat cool. They're even doing loving back flips and front flips now, in person it's a trip. If anyone has an opportunity to go do it, it's a made for AI event.

I went to the Orlando show a couple weeks back. It's a family tradition, but I gotta say I miss when they had all sorts of other motorsports mixed in with the trucks. Quads, demo derbies, supercross, ugly truck contests, 10 years ago they still had all that. When I was a kid they even had mud boggers and tractor pulls. It's been a gradual decline, and nowadays it's just the monster trucks, T-shirt cannons and Ford pimping their trucks and crossovers. Kinda fell a little flat for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I should add the addendum that only go if the venue where it's taking place is huuuuuge. If it's a tiny indoor arena, they're very limited to what they can do and it's not nearly as fun. The lack of run offs and space to pick up speed / stop from speed puts a serious handicap on the drivers and trucks.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Honestly for 60 bucks I can't complain, I was in the third row and had a great view, the trucks were right in front of me. Not gonna get good seats to an event for that much these days, the same seats for an NFL game would have cost me $700.

It was at the Buccaneers stadium so there was plenty of room for them to go nuts.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've never really be much for watching monster trucks.

I totally want to drive one though.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

Thanks for the effortpost.

Yes, that is my sensor and both the numbers on it (stamped/labelled) refer to it specifically as an LPG sensor, so (surprisingly), they must have had it made specially.

I'll have to doublecheck (when it is not raining!), but it looks like that LPGShop might be the right one, thought he pins seem a bit too far apart. Helpfully, they included this photo with the listing:

I'm going to try the guy who sold me the replacement sensor and see if he has any matching plugs.

There is also a non-blurry photo on that listing too. Superseal plugs are a common standard connector - if you google it you can find the exact measurements. I found one in the pile of junk on my workbench yesterday attached to an LPG solenoid..

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The turbodiesel is all well and good, but I keep thinking how much fun that would be with an LSx under the hood. And a lot less stinky.

angryrobots posted:

Maybe it will work out fine, but imo that's a dangerous road to go down with close family.

So we rent my wife's old house. Long story short, we rented it one time before and it went really badly. Was cleaning up and preparing to put it on the market for sale after that episode went wrong, and my current tenants came by and begged me to rent to them. "We can buy within a year" they tell me. One of their moms lives on the same street and they like the area and blah blah blah

Well it's going on 4 years and no sale. Currently the lease (rent to own, technically a lease with option to purchase) has run out and we verbally agreed to extend another year (but that's it), however I haven't yet drawn up the new lease. I was very clear in the beginning and in the contract that I wasn't doing small repairs like broken appliances, and now he's bugging me about the stove not working, mind you after paying rent a day late.

How loving dumb do you have to be, to annoy your (reluctant) landlord about some dumb poo poo when I can post an eviction notice on your rear end in the morning and have you gone in a month? And when I offered to repair it he gets kinda snotty, because I think he expects to get a new one for some reason. One more headache I do not need.

I bet they would get the picture when you put up the "For Sale" sign in the yard. Since there's no lease, you can certainly list it for sale. Might light a fire under their rear end.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ugh, i dont think im more disappointed about anything that trump has done so far than this effort to appoint DeVos. Maybe the shithead he's picked to lead the EPA is worse but putting this bitch in charge of the DoE is shameful.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BraveUlysses posted:

ugh, i dont think im more disappointed about anything that trump has done so far than this effort to appoint DeVos. Maybe the shithead he's picked to lead the EPA is worse but putting this bitch in charge of the DoE is shameful.

The education thing is just going to gently caress over a generation of americans. the EPA thing will have effects felt by humanity for thousands of years.

Considering what they ARE teaching in schools, pai running the FCC could do as much damage to kids actually learning things as devos. If your parents have the expensive wikipedia internet package, the kid will learn that you put water on plants to make them grow. If they only have the basic package brandopedia website, they'll learn it's brawndo, because it's got what plants crave, it's got electrolytes. If you click the electrolytes page, it simply says "it's what plants crave, most commonly found in brawndo".

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I feel that saying everything the media reports is 'fake news' until they stop being mean to Trump is pretty amazing/terrible/dumb as gently caress.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/07/politics/kfile-gorka-on-fake-news/index.html

So the government is pretty much all in on dumbing down the US with this and the education thing??

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
Idiocracy is likely a documentary sent to us by the time traveler Mike Judge.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

scuz posted:

It's so true it hurts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

The turbodiesel is all well and good, but I keep thinking how much fun that would be with an LSx under the hood. And a lot less stinky.

No. One, because I really don't care for V8s and I don't want to go the easy route. Everyone does an LS. Its like the LEGO of car swaps.

Two, I want something with fuel efficiency and towing power. That means diesel. And diesel is easier to tune and add power to.

Three: loving LS/LSx/Modular swaps piss me the gently caress off for no particular reason. Because its the easy swap. I don't want easy, I want a challenge.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 7, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
You want a challenge?

Toyota 13BT

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

I hate selling cars.

:same: I finally got around to posting my E36 and have had ZERO action. I got a text for someone that wants to come see it this week, which naturally a day or two prior the small plastic gear that is for the power recline broke and I got the replacement in the mail just barely so last night I was up until midnight trying to install it. I say try because when pressing the plastic gear onto the shaft the drat gear exploded into three pieces. I said eff it, put the seat at what looked like a good angle, shoved it all back together jammed up and will pray for the best. I will just buy another gear and give it to the next owner and tell them that I had only got the gear (which will be accurate) and just haven't installed it.

I am become the drat PO :argh:

Applebees Appetizer posted:

If anyone has an opportunity to go do it, it's a made for AI event.

Seriously they are cool, but don't forget ear protection - and those little foam plugs to shove in your ears will not do. You need serious over the ear style stuff or else you will be yelling "WAT" at people for days straight.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Grr, the "new" air compressor I got for my hackerspace is leaking enough that it cycles every 2 hours or so. I bet it's the hose reel, but that's annoying as gently caress.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Seriously they are cool, but don't forget ear protection - and those little foam plugs to shove in your ears will not do. You need serious over the ear style stuff or else you will be yelling "WAT" at people for days straight.

If you get the good ones (3M EAR, Bilsom 303 or similar), and use them correctly, disposable foam plugs are awesome, generally -30dB of reduction or more in the critical frequencies. I see a lot of people just jam them in their ears randomly and have them sort of hanging halfway out. You really have to roll them hard and get them deep in there, if you want them to work properly.

If you need a lot of hearing protection, a decent par of over the ear muffs in addition to the plugs is the way to go.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Doubled up properly inserted foam earplugs under electronic muffs is the only way to shoot.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

No. One, because I really don't care for V8s and I don't want to go the easy route. Everyone does an LS. Its like the LEGO of car swaps.

Two, I want something with fuel efficiency and towing power. That means diesel. And diesel is easier to tune and add power to.

Three: loving LS/LSx/Modular swaps piss me the gently caress off for no particular reason. Because its the easy swap. I don't want easy, I want a challenge.

Heresy!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

CommieGIR posted:

<snip>

I totally understand but I would never begrudge or criticize someone using one, because although it's awesome you went to the trouble of installing a submarine/aircraft/tank engine in your car, the reason they're the lego of swaps is because they hit a massive sweet spot between cost/difficulty/power/available parts.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Darchangel posted:

I bet they would get the picture when you put up the "For Sale" sign in the yard. Since there's no lease, you can certainly list it for sale. Might light a fire under their rear end.
They may get the picture but I don't think it will repair their fubar credit. :classiclol:

They are pushing 50, never bought a home, and have a ~3 yo kid. By the time we're they're age I hope to be pushing retirement, debt-free and with an empty nest. Bootstraps and all that :D .

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

I totally understand but I would never begrudge or criticize someone using one, because although it's awesome you went to the trouble of installing a submarine/aircraft/tank engine in your car, the reason they're the lego of swaps is because they hit a massive sweet spot between cost/difficulty/power/available parts.

"i want to do it the hard way" ~every craigslister selling a stripped car and buckets full of parts as a project.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

They're also light and compact. Fancy twin-cam heads are all well and good, but they don't half take up some room width-wise.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I've fallen in love with those Howard Leight shootymuffs. They have two microphones and amplify sounds, so you can be in the woods and hear a squirrel fart. But then when it gets loud (like angle grinding or shooting) they muffle and cancel the sound. Like $40 but I've got two pairs.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I use Howard Leight max lite (the soft green ones) earplugs at work. Used to use their harder orange ones with the string but they started hurting my ears.

Even with earplugs you gotta hold your hands over your ears in some parts of the plant. Muffs are encouraged but they won't give you a cent for them though they will pay for custom-moulded earplugs that have a small channel in them that whistle straight into your ear canal if you're near anything moving a lot of air.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Well, I'll be damned.

Vanilla ice cream with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a light sprinkle of sea salt really works. It's extremely rich and kinda decadent.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

scuz posted:

I think I'd rather take the reality portrayed in Idiocracy than our current reality.

At least in Idiocracy the dumbing-down was supposed to have been across the board, so even those at the height of power were idiots. Instead we have an idiot electorate who elected an idiot figurehead president who is being controlled by a literal white nationalist - who is admittedly crazy, but far from stupid.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

KozmoNaut posted:

Well, I'll be damned.

Vanilla ice cream with a light drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and a light sprinkle of sea salt really works. It's extremely rich.

Seriouspost: add black pepper

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Ooh, I'll have to try that.

E: Yes, that's definitely tasty too :)

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
President Camacho was actually a good leader. Recognized intelligence, and put it in charge of fixing the crop problem.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's really easy to go overboard with the pepper though. Do a little at a time until you find a place you like.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Today I saw a dodge charger in mad max theme, and it said "BARTERTOWN" across the back bumper

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Today I saw a Mazda Tribute in the wild.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

And I don't care. As soon as I hear some car is an LS swap, I just lose interest and walk away.

If you want to LS swap your Mercedes/Audi/Toyota/etc. just got buy a Corvette or some other GM/Chevy and just be done with it.

Powershift posted:

"i want to do it the hard way" ~every craigslister selling a stripped car and buckets full of parts as a project.

If you want a Chevy motor, just go buy a loving Chevy.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Today I saw a Mazda Tribute in the wild.

Was it the greatest car in the world?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

CommieGIR posted:

But then you're stuck with herpes on wheels known as a gm product. They do make good powertrains. everything else is hot diarrhea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

But then you're stuck with herpes on wheels known as a gm product. They do make good powertrains. everything else is hot diarrhea.

Still don't want an LS. And I never will. I don't understand the appeal of them, never will. I don't care if they are cheap and make readily available power, because I'm don't have a magic hardon for crazy power. I want a nice balance of useable power and weight, and I'll do it with my 5 cylinders, thank you.

Like, one of the guys in the small chassis Audi group LS swapped his Coupe Quattro. Not sure if it is still a Quattro, pretty sure it isn't, and was showing drag photos, and all I got from it was "I wanted a Corvette but didn't want the body"

Sorry I haven't given into the LS swap hive mind.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

CommieGIR posted:

And I don't care. As soon as I hear some car is an LS swap, I just lose interest and walk away.

If you want to LS swap your Mercedes/Audi/Toyota/etc. just got buy a Corvette or some other GM/Chevy and just be done with it.

Who gives a flying gently caress what the badge on the motor is. the LS is an easy way to stick 400hp/400ftlbs/25mpg into whatever body style you like for the cost of replacing the stock damaged drivetrain with a boring original.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Who gives a flying gently caress what the badge on the motor is. the LS is an easy way to stick 400hp/400ftlbs/25mpg into whatever body style you like for the cost of replacing the stock damaged drivetrain with a boring original.

"Let's do the same thing everyone else does! How original! My LS swap best LS swap"

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
They're cheap reliable power. i used to be this way too, but then after pinning liners for 10 years? i woke up. Reliable power is reliable power. cylinders/manufacturer doesnt matter.

E: i donno why i'm even arguing. I hate cars anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Powershift posted:

but how are you supposed to maintain your carhipster cred if you swap something that "everybody" else does? bloo bloo

• Locked thread