Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bij
Feb 24, 2007

3 pack ships are usually equivalent to a T6 fleet. The pilot ships are all up there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, Cryptic figures that if you're dumb enough to drop 60/120$ on space boats they don't need to double-gouge you for a few extra bucks atop it.

shaszoor
Jun 15, 2009
So I have zero idea what I am doing in this game other than flying in circles and shooting lasers like a Laser Floyd show. I would like access to the wiki, I registered the username shaszoor.

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

shaszoor posted:

So I have zero idea what I am doing in this game other than flying in circles and shooting lasers like a Laser Floyd show. I would like access to the wiki, I registered the username shaszoor.

Authed, but really you've pretty much got the STO experience down anyway

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Asimo posted:

Yeah, Cryptic figures that if you're dumb enough to drop 60/120$ on space boats they don't need to double-gouge you for a few extra bucks atop it.

I'm dumb enough to buy the vesta 3 pack twice because I'm extra stupid.

(it was my favorite ship in the old days for the terrible gimmick build flexibility)

Well I say twice, the T6 pack has to be released first.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Really liking the design of the Rommie ones in particular there. They've come a long way since the goddamn Ha'nom.

And good to see it looks like the Science Gorn making a comeback, even if the look's a bit dull.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.
https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/5shu13/spartan_and_his_crazy_scimitar_and_friends/

In which CrypticSpartan mods a scimitar to have pilot manoeuvres and Lootcritter loses his loving poo poo.

CREDIBILITY

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Coq au Nandos posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/5shu13/spartan_and_his_crazy_scimitar_and_friends/

In which CrypticSpartan mods a scimitar to have pilot manoeuvres and Lootcritter loses his loving poo poo.

CREDIBILITY

[Insert usual comments about fun haters and autism here]

Lorak
Apr 7, 2009

Well, there goes the Hall of Fame...

Coq au Nandos posted:

CREDIBILITY

I still really wish the T6NX had pilot maneuvers. Missed opportunity there.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Nah, the real missed opportunity was not giving them to the T6 Defiant. :argh:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Asimo posted:

Nah, the real missed opportunity was not giving them to the T6 Defiant. :argh:

Agreed.

If they put out a T6 vette without them I'm going to be so annoyed. They will, of course.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.

Lootcritter posted:

Correct - I agree - in the right forum. But as a $$$ paying player, if I don't agree with something, I have the right to complain. I have no issues with dev magic on Red Shirt, Tribble and privately happening. I've been there when things happen, like a borg unimatrix showing up in ESD. It was fun, and I was honoured to be a part of it.

My issue is the live server.

If the devs can demonstrate something I can never buy - effectively break the rules and cheat - does it invalidate the rules they set for us? Is it wrong for me to question the rules, say of lockboxes? Why is it some people have higher %'s of wins than the average person? Those people exist. Can devs prevent some players from winning? or of the DPS records set by friends of the dev - are they 'happy accidents' or something more? Is it a good business practice to create an environment where we have the slightest chance of questioning the honesty of the company in general?

That's my issue. Credibility.

Now I am ok with people having fun. I'm ok with a game that has given up any pretext of managing DPS, and I've embraced the sheer stupidity of buying lockboxes because I am told it's all above board. But I have lingering questions that haven't been answered, and I'm faced with a dev doing things in public I can never hope to do. Should devs do things on a live server that a player can never hope to achieve?
I'd say no.

Lootcritter posted:

At no point in the live game should the devs create an envronment where players would question the integrity of the game. Are some players getting benefits I don't have access to, becasue I'm not friends with a particular dev? Possibly How much money do I have to spend to get it? Who do I have to suck up to - or - which devs do I have placate so I'm not penalized? Right now theres no one who can say if the game is fair. It's based on trust. This kind of activity supports the idea the game could be rigged. It's unnecessary, and a marketing mistake.
Dev magic has it's place. I get that. Keep it private. Don't let anyone question the honesty of the systems in place that says the game is fair. It wasn't in the best interests of the company.

Goddamn, I've had more STO fun today than I had in the last six months of actually playing. :allears:

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

lootcritter posted:

If the company doesn't want players to exploit - or in the rules of this subreddit - even discuss it - then how can the company have any credibility when they do it?
He has no idea, does he?

EDIT:
https://twitter.com/LootCritter/status/828850710477279232
LootCritter contemplates if his most illustrious position as a blogger, should not make him an equal to the developers of the game he covers.
:psyduck:

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Feb 7, 2017

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He really is one of the dumbest people I've interacted with in STO.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
"Should devs do things on a live server that a player can never hope to achieve?
I'd say no."

He's never played literally any other online game has he?

Actually this sort of thing in STO isn't new either. Remember the dev controlled borg spheres or their 'custom characters you can never hope to legitimately create' in the early events after launch?

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

DancingShade posted:

Actually this sort of thing in STO isn't new either. Remember the dev controlled borg spheres or their 'custom characters you can never hope to legitimately create' in the early events after launch?
He's only using this as a vessel to legitimize something he's done or going to do, and for the sake of equality and solidarity, I hope you're all cheering him on.

https://twitter.com/LootCritter/status/828856461895741440

Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot
Man I always wanted to make the aux cannons work on my Vesta

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy

frakeaing HAMSTER DANCE posted:

Man I always wanted to make the aux cannons work on my Vesta

Aux cannons work fine on a Vesta. I filled the front with them and stuck 360-degree stuff on the back, then slotted the aux-based Vesta consoles and the (Tholian?) traits that scale up damage with aux power. You won't be topping the charts against actual competent players, but you'll be more than good enough to handle the game's content.

Dely Apple
Apr 22, 2006

Sing me Spanish Techno

If this is now an Asian company, I want Year of the Rooster ships. A giant, metallic cock to cruise around while I blow money.

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime
Lootcritter defends a guy convicted of felon child abuse, and advertises his "buy me a new computer - it's for the COMMUNITY" patreon on his blog. He deserves as much poo poo as the playerbase can heap on top of him.

He also likes to pretend he has clout with PWE. When people come to him with questions, he likes to respond with "I'll talk to the powers that be at PWE/Cryptic to see what we can make of this." By his own estimates, he's spent between 10-15,000 dollars on STO.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 8, 2017

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DonDoodles posted:

"buy me a new computer - it's for the COMMUNITY" (...) By his own estimates, he's spent between 10-15,000 dollars on STO.
:allears:

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Two separate things. The first was noted weirdo Timberwolf starting a Patreon so he could make more YouTube videos in which he builds lockbox ships like a dickhead and then shoots things in Starbase 24 while saying "come on now".

The second is Lootcritter's crippling addiction to gambling.

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost
So will there be a memorial to Kharn the Undying?

DonDoodles
Aug 18, 2010

by general anime

Coq au Nandos posted:

Two separate things. The first was noted weirdo Timberwolf starting a Patreon so he could make more YouTube videos in which he builds lockbox ships like a dickhead and then shoots things in Starbase 24 while saying "come on now".

The second is Lootcritter's crippling addiction to gambling.

Yeah, should have made that more clear:

Timberwolf -- literal felon who had an affair at the Trek convention and posted her pics online for his STO buddies to shame her when she broke up with him (to reconcile with her estranged husband). Also wants pubbies to pay him 500 a month so he can build a new computer -- the COMMUNITY can benefit.

Lootcriter -- has a blog, spent five-figgies on STO, is literally losing his mind that a dev has access to abilities he can NEVER have. Is going to "elevate" the issue with Cryptic tomorrow, lol.

DonDoodles fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Feb 8, 2017

DAVE!!!(c)(tm)
Feb 22, 2003
I'm honestly amazed that anyone, let alone a dev, cared enough about the game to mod such things in.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

DonDoodles posted:

Yeah, should have made that more clear:

Timberwolf -- literal felon who had an affair at the Trek convention and posted her pics online for his STO buddies to shame her when she broke up with him (to reconcile with her estranged husband). Also wants pubbies to pay him 500 a month so he can build a new computer -- the COMMUNITY can benefit.

Lootcriter -- has a blog, spent five-figgies on STO, is literally losing his mind that a dev has access to abilities he can NEVER have. Is going to "elevate" the issue with Cryptic tomorrow, lol.
Oh, huh, for some reason got the two conflated. God bless this horrible community though, even if I completely quit this game it will be constant entertainment to see the cavalcade of damaged personalities on display.

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

I'm honestly amazed that anyone, let alone a dev, cared enough about the game to mod such things in.

To be fair the video of the Scimitar barrel rolling around ESD is pretty awesome.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Christ, the Dev had to write out a multi-paragraph apology and I'm betting there'll be no more dev fun like this now.

Yaaaaay lootcritter :toot:

DAVE!!!(c)(tm) posted:

'mod'. He pretty much just used dev commands to set currentship.hasPilotCommands = true.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Feb 8, 2017

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
Yes, it must be terrible to know that there are Dev powers running around on live that he can never hope to have or comprehend. :smuggo:

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Didnt lootcritter try to hide his in-game name for ages until nabreeki told everyone who he was lol.

fakemirage
Nov 6, 2012

Can't see the haters.

hakimashou posted:

Didnt lootcritter try to hide his in-game name for ages until nabreeki told everyone who he was lol.
Goons ruin everything.

It wasn't a very well kept secret, if that was what he intended it to be. He initially used his in-game handle for promoting the blog.

DonDoodles posted:

Is he going to print his theses and nail it above the entrance to their office?

Preechr posted:

Yes, it must be terrible to know that there are Dev powers running around on live that he can never hope to have or comprehend. :smuggo:
Meh, it ruins the game after a while.

fakemirage fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Feb 8, 2017

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I can't even imagine spending three figures on this game. Not even on lifetime back at launch.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I admit I did and I don't entirely regret it considering how long I actually did play this lovely game, but I'm not going to lie and say it was a wise decision or something. Five figures though? What the gently caress.

Actually the amazing thing is that he spent that much and is still so bad at building his goddamn ships. Or that multiple people (including me) have all the rare ships he does without spending an extra cent.

Rahhmi
Aug 18, 2015

GO WEEDJI!

[05/28/2016 12:40:42 AM] Pulse: don't stir up my
personal drama, please
Actually it's crap like what Lootcritter did that spoils the fun for everyone.

StarWarsGalaxies existed in a time before modern developer rules that constantly scanned everything they did. So when the "light" side raided a vastly outnumbered Dark side city, the Devs responded by adding NPC-re-enforcements like imperial walkers, AT-aT/AT-STs and even dark jedi to fight the light side. players could only talk about how amazing it was that they felt like the real Imperial army was fighting against them.. like they were really doing something!

Even before events, world bosses, or even quests were a thing, a Pristontale dev went to a town with two "exits" on the east and west sides, then messaged the whole server with "monsters are raiding Navisko! COME QUICK AND HELP!". He then began spawning small mobs of monsters, from low level simple ones to eventually bosses mega-bosses that would take out half the players in a single attack. but they kept respawning (losing weeks of combat grind in EXP) just for the thrill of fighting the things before everyone switched to their high level characters and came up with a strategy to take down a single "Fury" leading to one of the single greatest moments the game ever saw.

For as tragic as The Matrix Online was, it was pretty much centered around this concept with Devs flagrantly doing things like this regularly, from massive "where is the clue pointing us" manhunts to real-time events they would act out as movie-based characters.

...so.. Yeah. Power to lootcritter for wasting money on the game and keeping it going or whatever.... but don't ruin the fun any more than greedy people like you have already, geez.

Rahhmi fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Feb 8, 2017

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
I do kind of like how Spartan's.. explanation? Apology..? has the tone of someone explaining something obvious to a small child.

Spartan posted:

It is true that I do not follow the same ruleset on my developer account as a normal player. This is because I am a developer on my work account. I have to break some elements of the ToS to do my job, and I do some things that the ToS blocks other players from doing, such as claiming to be a developer.

I don't really know who this guy is, but I like the cut of his jib

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Dalris Othaine posted:

I do kind of like how Spartan's.. explanation? Apology..? has the tone of someone explaining something obvious to a small child.

I don't really know who this guy is, but I like the cut of his jib

Haha that is a great reply.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

He basically is explaining it to a child.

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
So I've got a federation aligned romulan, and I go to rename my ship to the USS Grabthar's Hammer (the name for p much all my ships) and the game starts giving me guff about my name being too long and not starting with NCC-

What's the deal here, cause that name was never too long with the romulan or Klingon prefixes, and my rename dialogue box has no field for putting in a registry number??

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
16 character limit on ship names, yours is 17.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryptozoology
Jul 12, 2010
That's weird cause I've got a warbird named Grabthar's Hammer on my Klingon

• Locked thread