Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I think Chris Carter is bad, but I might just be biased against one-dimensional ballplayers. Runs are runs I guess, no matter if a guy hits 40 dingers and does literally nothing else of value on the field.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

CubsWoo posted:

Fangraphs also has their projection out:

Angels (84-78, Tie-WC1)

:stare:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Yeah 88 wins seems a bit low, seeing as how the Cubs won 103 games last year and that was still 4 games below their pythag. Fowler is the only player with a WAR above 2 that the Cubs lost during the offseason, Heyward probably isn't going to have a worse season than last year, and they'll get Schwarber back. Almora, Schwarber, Russell, Baez, Edwards, Contreras, and Bryant are all 24 or younger, so you have to imagine they're only going to improve.

Yeah, that's bullshit. We probably won't win 100 again, but even with some injuries there's no way we're 15 games worse from last year.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

The Pussy Boss posted:

I think Chris Carter is bad, but I might just be biased against one-dimensional ballplayers. Runs are runs I guess, no matter if a guy hits 40 dingers and does literally nothing else of value on the field.

I also dislike the Chris Carters and the Mark Reynolds of the world who hit 35 HR with strikeout totals higher than their batting average. Solidarity, brother.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What on earth do they think is going to make the angels win 10 more games lmfao

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Feb 7, 2017

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

CubsWoo posted:

Fangraphs also has their projection out:

These feel a lot closer to what I'd guess. My only gripes are the Angels taking second in the AL West and getting a WC spot (:lol:) and I think the NL East is going to be closer. I know it's a joke that the Mets pitching staff dies every season but if they can keep even just three of the Thor/Harvey/deGrom/Matz/Wheeler rotation of aces healthy for a full season I think the Mets give the Nats a serious run for their money.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like the Chris Carter signing if only because there's more thump against lefties. Lots of good ones in the AL East this year. Also think the projections on the Yankees are pretty low but i'm biased. They usually outperform their pythag pretty consistently, I think

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

Healthy pitchers I guess?

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Healthy pitchers I guess?

Yeah it's probably this. Skaggs and Richards barely played last year and Shoemaker missed time as well.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Trout will just add 10 more WAR in value.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

New Concept Hole posted:

Trout will just add 10 more WAR in value.

I look forward to his inevitable second-place finish in the MVP voting behind some improbable idiot like Travis Shaw or Stephen Vogt

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Carlosologist posted:

I like the Chris Carter signing if only because there's more thump against lefties. Lots of good ones in the AL East this year. Also think the projections on the Yankees are pretty low but i'm biased. They usually outperform their pythag pretty consistently, I think

The projections generally undervalue good bullpens, and I don't see any reason why the Yankees can't at least hit the same win total as last season seeing as it's pretty much an identical team and if anything the roster generally underperformed last year.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

The Pussy Boss posted:

You're pretty much right. 0.9 war last year, a career of vacillating between -1 and 1 basically. His defense is bad and his power can't make up for just how many strikeouts he has. He's not Reynolds bad but the Brewers, a bad team that is rebuilding, chose a lottery ticket from NPB over him for 1B which should tell you all you need to know.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
Looking forward to a nice quiet, low-pressure 72-to-76-win year for the Braves. So long as nobody dies, nothing truly matters till next year or maybe even 2019.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Paul Zuvella posted:

Probably not having Tim Lincecum start 9 games with an ERA over 9. Jered Weaver was their healthiest starter last year and he had an ERA over 5. Huston Street not being completely dead, Cam Bedrosian having a healthy year, getting lucky on their platoon lottery ticket LF combination for once.

The Angels aren't going to be good this year but I could see them doing better than last year, and 2018 looks promising if their best pitchers successfully return from TJS and Josh Hamilton's contract is off the books.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

You're pretty much right. 0.9 war last year, a career of vacillating between -1 and 1 basically. His defense is bad and his power can't make up for just how many strikeouts he has. He's not Reynolds bad but the Brewers, a bad team that is rebuilding, chose a lottery ticket from NPB over him for 1B which should tell you all you need to know.

Also if you overlay his homers onto Yankee Stadium, a lot end up being flyouts at the track in LF so...

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Inspector_666 posted:

Also if you overlay his homers onto Yankee Stadium, a lot end up being flyouts at the track in LF so...

Yup. He doesn't really make any sense as a signing unless you're convinced that your hitting coach can fix his pull tendencies and improve his discipline.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Yup. He doesn't really make any sense as a signing unless you're convinced that your hitting coach can fix his pull tendencies and improve his discipline.

Actually apparently the spray chart I saw was all career homers, if you just look at last year he only loses out on one or two. I'm still not really happy about whose ABs he'll be taking (unless they intend to heavily platoon Holliday, in which case they overpaid him) but:

...isn't bad for 3 million.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

He's good insurance if the kids stink

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

ZenVulgarity posted:

He's good insurance if the kids stink

That's fine, but if the kids stink the team's in trouble without a massive teardown anyway.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
He played 147 complete games at 1B last year :stare:

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

elentar posted:

Looking forward to a nice quiet, low-pressure 72-to-76-win year for the Braves. So long as nobody dies, nothing truly matters till next year or maybe even 2019.

I'm probably being overly optimistic, but I feel like the Braves are going to be in the wild card fight for a few weeks. They won't make it, but they'll be mentioned a couple times before they fade.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Brewers? Selling off established players? WHY I NEVER

:rip:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
Anthony Rizzo is A Good Dude. :unsmith:

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/18639004/anthony-rizzo-chicago-cubs-reaches-boy-was-attacked-school

quote:

CHICAGO -- Children at a suburban Chicago school are wearing Cubbie blue in support of a classmate who was severely beaten, and Cubs star Anthony Rizzo is inviting the boy to Wrigley Field when he gets better.

Rizzo tweeted his invitation to 12-year-old Henry Sembdner to watch batting practice and a game, saying he'd heard the seventh-grader was a Cubs fan.

The attack happened last Friday at Kenyon Woods Middle School in South Elgin. Authorities say another student attacked after Henry bumped into him. He suffered facial fractures and other injuries. The boy remains hospitalized, but school officials say his condition is improving and he's breathing on his own after doctors removed a breathing tube.

Police say their investigation is continuing to determine whether the other boy should face criminal charges.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Feb 8, 2017

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

I like how the Chicago police are consistent in their view that the legality of violent beatings are an open debate.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Chris Carter is nothing super special but his signing just makes the Justin Smoak extension that much more horrible/funny/horrible

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

I like how the Chicago police are consistent in their view that the legality of violent beatings are an open debate.

HOW DOES IT NEED TO BE DETERMINED IF THE OTHER BOY SHOULD FACE CRIMINAL CHARGES???? He beat the other kid so badly that the other kid needed a breathing tube!!!!

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

There really needs to be a :chicago:

e. Also it's buried in this article but the Yankees apparently made Starlin Castro available in the off season but didn't get any bites. Poor dude :smith:

Sydin fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Feb 8, 2017

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

HOW DOES IT NEED TO BE DETERMINED IF THE OTHER BOY SHOULD FACE CRIMINAL CHARGES???? He beat the other kid so badly that the other kid needed a breathing tube!!!!

I really don't think this an issue outside ESPN being bad at writing. The police are probably just determining what charges to put on file for a minor beating up another minor, they'll need the victims consent to press charges I'm assuming. It's probably just caught up in the procedural and not literally the CPD saying it's ok to nearly beat a kid to death.

Our police force is plenty hosed as it is, but lets wait to hear whats going on here.

Popete fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 8, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Your Taint posted:

I imagine it's probably similar to the Brock Turner debacle, they don't want to mess up the kid's "future" or some similar BS.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I think it's more that the beater is a minor which means they need to figure out what they can and should charge 'em with

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Popete posted:

I really don't think this an issue outside ESPN being bad at writing. The police are probably just determining what charges to put on file for a minor beating up another minor, they'll need the victims consent to press charges I'm assuming. It's probably just caught up in the procedural and not literally the CPD saying it's ok to nearly beat a kid to death.

Our police force is plenty hosed as it is, but lets wait to hear whats going on here.

I just wanted to make a funny about cpd beating people up.

Longpig Bard
Dec 29, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

The Pussy Boss posted:

Healthy pitchers

Good Dog posted:

Healthy pitchers

Lol

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?

CubsWoo posted:

Pitcher regression, defensive regression, not being one of the luckiest teams in MLB history when it comes to injuries (especially to the starting staff) and teams figuring out Contreras, Schwarber, Almora etc.

Somehow i dont think "expected pitcher health" weighed much into ranking the Dodgers ahead of the Cubs, but that's just me.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

what kind of insane projection system has the cardinals at 75 wins

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

what kind of insane projection system has the cardinals at 75 wins

Probably Houston's.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
Y'all will be totally shocked to hear that after flirting all offseason the Rangers are going to sign Napoli.

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的

KIM JONG TRILL posted:

Y'all will be totally shocked to hear that after flirting all offseason the Rangers are going to sign Napoli.

So much for the Angels winning the wildcard.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Paul Zuvella posted:

Cameron Maybin realizes he had those 5 tools the scouts said he had all along

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

Cameron Maybin realizes he had those 5 tools the scouts said he had all along

The only tools Cameron Maybin has are hanging on pegboard in his basement.

• Locked thread