Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

speaking of mentally ill people who need to take a closer look at their bad ideas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Osama Dozen-Dongs
Nov 29, 2014
That's just calvinism, tho'

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
here's a quotably terrible medium essay

https://medium.com/@kantbot2000/children-of-the-grave-ffd60226249f#.d37bd48p9

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

It should be no surprise that a tendency comprised entirely of fifteen year olds thinks history started a couple of years ago.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Way to miss what made Christianity a huge success in the first place.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/puellavulnerata/status/828310243276894208
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/828318999712759810
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/828320925032599553
https://twitter.com/St_Rev/status/828321597203308544

For a bonus, read the actual article.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NOBODY CAN LIKE MATH BESIDES ME AND PEOPLE TRYING TO ENCOURAGE OTHERS TO ENGAGE IN MATHEMATICS ARE THE REASON I DRINK

As someone else who likes math and majored in it there are far too many Revs in the field and the lovely weird elitism is one of the big hindrances to actually getting more people into it.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Actually now that I'm thinking about it I knew a pure math guy a while back who used his pure untouched lily white non-applied mathematics brain to reason his way into full-on support of fascism without even couching it in other terms or anything, maybe that guy grew up to be Rev :ohdear:

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Goes hand in hand with Clark saying that universities need to be destroyed because they let black people in.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

ate all the Oreos posted:

Actually now that I'm thinking about it I knew a pure math guy a while back who used his pure untouched lily white non-applied mathematics brain to reason his way into full-on support of fascism without even couching it in other terms or anything, maybe that guy grew up to be Rev :ohdear:

Basically, the failure of the Cathedral is letting anyone get out of college without a firm grounding in the Humanities.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What are "NTs"?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

NTs? What presumably horrid racist thing is that a short for?

Also, I can easily think of several Nobel prize or otherwise highly recognised scientist or mathematicians of colour of the top of my head.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
My inherent assumption there is 'neurotypicals' but considering the crowd I'm not sure if that's right.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Subjunctive posted:

What are "NTs"?

Neurotypicals

Munin posted:

Way to miss what made Christianity a huge success in the first place.

He's driven in two directions on this, because he wants to be a Nietzschean ubermensch who values strength above the slave morality of the sheeple, but he ALSO wants to lord the superiority of Christianity over the barbaric peoples of the East who value strength over morality, so he ends up compromising by inventing a bizarre version of Christianity that reads like it was written by a Fred Phelps who posts on Reddit.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Fututor Magnus posted:

Goes hand in hand with Clark saying that universities need to be destroyed because they let black people in.

I do not doubt that clarkhat said this but I would like a cite anyways, because JFC.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

BobHoward posted:

I do not doubt that clarkhat said this but I would like a cite anyways, because JFC.

Oh, if it was just in one tweet I'd gladly link it but you need to look at his timeline for that and it's everywhere. Look at every time he brings up academia with absolutely terrible dogwhistling.

Like, dogwhistles aren't supposed to be smart or intricate but Clark is on a whole another level of not giving a poo poo while still denying his racism as if we're morons.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
someone said earlier that they couldn't tell the difference between popehat and clarkhat. the difference is clarkhat will probably brutally murder someone someday, if he hasn't already. he lusts for brown people blood.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

uber_stoat posted:

someone said earlier that they couldn't tell the difference between popehat and clarkhat. the difference is clarkhat will probably brutally murder someone someday, if he hasn't already. he lusts for brown people blood.

oh, he's not that racist, he says he'd like to brutally murder white people too... if they're one of those loving sjw ni**erlovers.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
wrong thread

Pomp has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Feb 6, 2017

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Pomp are you okay?

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

DoctorWhat posted:

Pomp are you okay?

i posted that in the wrong thread

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
quote is not edit

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
At least with Popehat, I expect someone in free speech law to be a free speech absolutist shitweasel.

Unless he's been up to other stuff that I just have not been aware of, in case, welp.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

neongrey posted:

At least with Popehat, I expect someone in free speech law to be a free speech absolutist shitweasel.

Unless he's been up to other stuff that I just have not been aware of, in case, welp.

Ken's a right-leaning guy, but a reasonable one who's more or less attached to the planet earth. He's rabid about free speech absolutism, but arguably that's his gig and he does actual real-world good work in the area. Clark is just on loving crack.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
rationalist discourse on the ethics of killing baby hitler

http://mitigatedchaos.tumblr.com/post/156334675042/on-time-travelers-from-the-future-killing-baby

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

https://vimeo.com/120730870

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

divabot posted:

Ken's a right-leaning guy, but a reasonable one who's more or less attached to the planet earth. He's rabid about free speech absolutism, but arguably that's his gig and he does actual real-world good work in the area.

Expanding on that, iirc some of the good work you're referring to is pro bono and he's quite willing to do this for very lefty people who are getting in legal trouble for saying lefty things. I may not agree with his apparent belief that free speech is the highest and most important principle, but he walks that walk. Unlike the "MAH FREEZE PEACH" crowd, who are into free speech rhetoric mainly as a way to claim oppression when criticized, he understands that critique is just more speech.

Some confusion is understandable because for a long time Ken and Clark co-blogged at Popehat, and it wasn't always obvious which byline was which if you didn't pay close attention. Whenever I got linked to a Ken entry from another site and idly clicked on a link to a Clark post I'd get severe mental whiplash before I realized "oh yeah this blog has a total shitbird writing for it too".

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Guess who might have a direct line to the White House:

"The article" posted:

Moldbug, who does not do interviews and could not be reached for this story, has opened up a line to the White House, communicating with Bannon and his aides through an intermediary, according to a source. During the transition, he made clear his deep skepticism that the Russians were behind the hacking of the Democratic National Committee, the source said – a message that Trump himself reiterated several times.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Relevant Tangent posted:

Guess who might have a direct line to the White House:

aaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Someone stop America I want to get off :smith:

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Isn't Bannon losing favor lately?

Anyway this will just lead to White House computers using Urbit and the whole thing falling apart much faster

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Isn't Bannon losing favor lately?

Favor with Trump? Probably not. Trump is pissed that "fake news" reports claim Bannon does the heavy policy lifting for him, but I think Bannon actually does do the heavy lifting and Trump is both too proud to remove him unless he makes a major misstep, like eating a live baby on The View or something, and he doesn't want to think about things so Steve's going nowhere. He might get publicly dissed a little so that everyone knows Trump is still a very strong papa to the nation, but I don't see him losing an ounce of influence over the executive office any time soon.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

It's much more likely that the extra-dimensional living darkness that is wearing Bannon as a suit finishes consuming his essence and he crumbles to ash before this term ends.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

mysterious frankie posted:

It's much more likely that the extra-dimensional living darkness that is wearing Bannon as a suit finishes consuming his essence and he crumbles to ash before this term ends.

Yeah. Have you seen what he looks like without makeup and flattering angles?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

Favor with Trump? Probably not. Trump is pissed that "fake news" reports claim Bannon does the heavy policy lifting for him, but I think Bannon actually does do the heavy lifting and Trump is both too proud to remove him unless he makes a major misstep, like eating a live baby on The View or something, and he doesn't want to think about things so Steve's going nowhere. He might get publicly dissed a little so that everyone knows Trump is still a very strong papa to the nation, but I don't see him losing an ounce of influence over the executive office any time soon.

I mean Bannon basically betrayed him by having him sign an EO that made him god-emperor of the military or something like that and trump didn't even loving read the thing so he only found out after the fact and making trump look like an idiot is a great way to get trump hyper-mad at you, but we'll see what happens.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

ate all the Oreos posted:

I mean Bannon basically betrayed him by having him sign an EO that made him god-emperor of the military or something like that and trump didn't even loving read the thing so he only found out after the fact and making trump look like an idiot is a great way to get trump hyper-mad at you, but we'll see what happens.

Trump seems more focused on the media than Bannon though and, If I know my Trump, he would have publicly turned on Bannon by now had he any inclination. Impulse control and scheming aren't his strong points. If anything the dang ol' lyin' media portraying Bannon as eminence grise, the great gay liberal devil Rosie O'Donnell wanting to play him on SNL, etc, is only gonna cause Trump to cleave to Bannon out of stubborn petulance. He's all about reacting and sticking it to all the media creators that weave his reality in the present, not playing a long political game out here with the adults.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

The Vosgian Beast posted:

He's driven in two directions on this, because he wants to be a Nietzschean ubermensch who values strength above the slave morality of the sheeple, but he ALSO wants to lord the superiority of Christianity over the barbaric peoples of the East who value strength over morality, so he ends up compromising by inventing a bizarre version of Christianity that reads like it was written by a Fred Phelps who posts on Reddit.

Never mind the fact that Nietzsche classified Christian morality as slave morality and that that framing is a core part of "The Genealogy of Morality".

Talking about the alt right and Nietzsche, they certainly seem to be showing a lot of ressentiment to me...

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
The Moldbug-Trump connection (that is, through intellectual influence on Thiel and Bannon - the article's attempt to insinuate an actual communications line seems extremely forced) is extra funny because Yarvin's whole thing was "we need to install Elon Musk as an untouchable dictator to save us from populist demagoguery" and then you end up with Trump. Of course Bannon and Thiel both love Darkly Hinting in a vaguely accelerationist direction, so.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Oh yeah, I definitely thought the article was saying Bannon was the one communicating with Moldbug at a remove. Can't imagine Trump taking a dude like Yarvin seriously, but I can see him listening to Bannon taking Yarvin seriously.

Oligopsony
May 17, 2007
Well, that's a priori at plausible, but I was thinking more of the specific evidence that was marhsalled for it - "Yarvin has voiced skepticism of the Russian role in the hacks, and so has Trump!" - is extraordinarily weak beer. More or less everybody who's vaguely hostile to Washington technocrats, rightly or wrongly, voiced skepticism of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Relevant Tangent posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely thought the article was saying Bannon was the one communicating with Moldbug at a remove. Can't imagine Trump taking a dude like Yarvin seriously, but I can see him listening to Bannon taking Yarvin seriously.

Multiple sources, including the man himself, seem to agree that Trump doesn't read, so you know drat well he neither knows nor cares who Moldbug is. Bannon honestly seems like a guy who pretends to have read many more books than he actually has, for that matter.