Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Jill Stein still retarded.
https://twitter.com/DrJillStein/status/829008961550553093

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Well, she is Putin's buddy.

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/02/trump-sheriff-asset-forfeiture-texas-234740?cmpid=sf

quote:

“And I told him that the cartel would build a monument to him in Mexico if he could get that legislation passed,” the Texas sheriff continued.

“Who is the state senator? Do you want to give his name? We’ll destroy his career,” Trump replied, presumably suggesting that the lawmaker would suffer for holding a position contrary to the president’s.

The president’s remark elicited laughter from those gathered in the Roosevelt Room, although the president did not join in. Eavenson did not offer the Texas state senator’s name, and the public information officer for the Rockwall County sheriff's office declined to name the lawmaker in question.

And Rep Shawn Duffy claiming White Privilege:

quote:

During a CNN appearance on Tuesday, Rep. Sean Duffy (R-WI) asserted that “there’s a difference” between attacks carried out by Muslim extremists and attacks carried out by white supremacists or other attackers who aren’t Muslim.
While discussing President Trump’s list of 78 attacks his administration thinks haven’t been sufficiently covered — a list conspicuously devoid of attacks perpetrated by white supremacists, Islamophobes, or right-wing extremists — CNN Alisyn Camerota asked Duffy, “Why isn’t the president talking about the white terrorists who mowed down six Muslims praying at their mosque?”
“I don’t know, but I would just tell you there’s a difference,” Duffy replied. “You don’t have a group like ISIS or Al Qaeda that is inspiring [attacks] around the world. That was a one off, Alisyn.”

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 7, 2017

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

I'm confused. She does know Democrats ALL voted no on devos right? that they tried their damndest to stop her? That the only people voted yes on her where republicans?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

KildarX posted:

I'm confused. She does know Democrats ALL voted no on devos right? that they tried their damndest to stop her? That the only people voted yes on her where republicans?

This is a woman who staged a gofundme ostensibly to fund a recall but really to make a quick buck. She's just bright enough to make some cash and stay in the limelight. her complaining about corporate interests is hypocritical in light of her lining her pockets.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

KildarX posted:

Jill Stein is a moron, but she's probably trying to say if democrats hadn't sold out their base to corporate interests, they'd be in power and DeVos would just be off somewhere lamenting her lost 200m gamble on Trump.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

This is a woman who staged a gofundme ostensibly to fund a recall but really to make a quick buck. She's just bright enough to make some cash and stay in the limelight. her complaining about corporate interests is hypocritical in light of her lining her pockets.

Yea, I mean. Wouldn't it have been accurate and still keep her in the lime light to have replaced democrat with republican?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jill Stein is a moron, but she's probably trying to say if democrats hadn't sold out their base to corporate interests, they'd be in power and DeVos would just be off somewhere lamenting her lost 200m gamble on Trump.

Oh, I guess she may be a moron.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

MA-Horus posted:

I'm not understanding how these people are getting away with not divesting their holdings.

It comes from the top. And by that I mean the electorate. Enough either did not care or were careless enough that they elected president someone who obviously would allow their financial interest interfere with the public good. So that's the policy now. Divestment doesn't count because the people in charge just plain don't think it is important enough to enforce.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

https://twitter.com/jimsciutto/status/829078752294535169

Donnie's not gonna like this

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

PLEASE, I NEED AN AUDIENCE FOR MY ART!

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009

BexGu posted:

What states are you visiting?

Cause even more then ever the quality of schools is gonna come down to the states and local politics.

It was mostly meeting Americans on holidays outside the US, I went and played Rugby at the US Naval base in Naples about 5 years ago and those guys were pretty dumb, I saw them doing stupid poo poo like drinking pints of salt water as a drinking game punishment. I also spent some time plowing a high-school teacher from Iowa when I was in Mexico a while back, she was smart but just didn't seem to have any idea what was going on outside the USA.

I did meet a couple of young lecturers from UCLA when I was in Thailand 2 years back, they almost gave me a stroke when they told me how much it cost for them to finish their degrees. They were sharp though.

Last time I was in Florida on business I got asked by a factory exec if our offices in London were close to England.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

It was mostly meeting Americans on holidays outside the US, I went and played Rugby at the US Naval base in Naples about 5 years ago and those guys were pretty dumb, I saw them doing stupid poo poo like drinking pints of salt water as a drinking game punishment. I also spent some time plowing a high-school teacher from Iowa when I was in Mexico a while back, she was smart but just didn't seem to have any idea what was going on outside the USA.

I did meet a couple of young lecturers from UCLA when I was in Thailand 2 years back, they almost gave me a stroke when they told me how much it cost for them to finish their degrees. They were sharp though.

Last time I was in Florida on business I got asked by a factory exec if our offices in London were close to England.

Checks out.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

haha gently caress

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/marco-rubio-took-almost-100-000-from-betsy-devos-family-before-confirming-her-today-9123691

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Umm well points for not being ashamed of being what is wrong with democracy I guess?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

His office has been nigh unreachable because of non-stop calls from people telling him to vote no on DeVos according to the aide I spoke with today. He doesn't give a gently caress.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Oral arguments on Trump's EO before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals court happening right now.

Kinda funny to listen to, since the DOJ counsel keeps saying it's to protect America, but when judges ask for evidence or a specific case behind ban, he keeps stumbling.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive...WT.nav=top-news

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

McCain is on MSNBC poo poo talking the Trump administration's ban. It's almost like he's going to find his balls and help put a stop to this. But then he said he admires Flynn, and says he doesn't understand why Democrats are blocking nominees. Then he goes back to saying Putin is nothing like us.

Wake me up when he decides to drop the pettiness and inconsistency.

Edit: "There are some things that he's doing right."

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Feb 8, 2017

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

DoJ lawyer getting shredded by 9th circuit

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Smiling Jack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEK8FCBMkMQ

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Smiling Jack posted:

He's getting just demolished by everyone.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Keep expecting to hear a toilet flush and a hang up after one of the Justices asks the US Consul a particularly hard question.

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

https://twitter.com/peterbakernyt/status/829044576711213056

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Oh good, maybe we will get to see the piss video after all.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Best Friends posted:

Oh good, maybe we will get to see the piss video after all.
Flynn's piss video :eng101:

In which he pisses on his idiot son while wearing Arab garb.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Nvm I'm dumb and don't read dates

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Feb 8, 2017

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

This DoJ lawyer sounds flustered

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Man this one really fucks with my brain.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

shyduck posted:

This DoJ lawyer sounds flustered

can you blame him? anyone with any sense realizes this eo is a sloppy hot mess.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
that and the judges job is to poke holes in everything they say by throwing curve balls

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I didn't think I'd be able to sit through more than five minutes of this, but the judges are basically arguing incredibly clearly and comprehensibly so that even a first year law student can follow it.

Meanwhile, Fentje is doing the legal equivalent of writing an 8th grade essay with incredibly long words in hopes of tiring the teacher out to the point where they just rubberstamp an A on it.

I'm 37 minutes into it, and one judge just interjected: "Why should we care?", followed by a lengthy and wordy stammering by lawyer dude, and ended by a "Yes, yes, but why should WE care?" from the judge.

/edit:
I'm now at the part where the Washington solicitor general is chiming in, they're not giving him a pass either, they're being pretty thorough shooting holes in both sides. Good to see that SOMETHING is still running as intended.

vvv yeah, just noticed.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 8, 2017

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm 37 minutes into it, and one judge just interjected: "Why should we care?", followed by a lengthy and wordy stammering by lawyer dude, and ended by a "Yes, yes, but why should WE care?" from the judge.

That was the Washington solicitor general. He gets a bit better later on.

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Yo you got a source for that.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Arson Daily posted:

quote:

In 1997, she brashly explained her opposition to campaign-finance-reform measures that were aimed at cleaning up so-called “soft money,” a predecessor to today’s unlimited “dark money” election spending. “My family is the biggest contributor of soft money to the Republican National Committee,” she wrote in the Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call. “I have decided to stop taking offense,” she wrote, “at the suggestion that we are buying influence. Now I simply concede the point. They are right. We do expect something in return. We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues. We expect a return on our investment.”

“People like us,” she added archly, “must surely be stopped.”

The first search result.

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/betsy-devos-trumps-big-donor-education-secretary

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
If there is one thing that judges hate regardless of political affiliation it is dealing with poorly conceived and executed laws.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Arson Daily posted:

The only problem with that image is that it omits a clause.

quote:

In 1997, she brashly explained her opposition to campaign-finance-reform measures that were aimed at cleaning up so-called “soft money,” a predecessor to today’s unlimited “dark money” election spending. “My family is the biggest contributor of soft money to the Republican National Committee,” she wrote in the Capitol Hill newspaper Roll Call. “I have decided to stop taking offense,” she wrote, “at the suggestion that we are buying influence. Now I simply concede the point. They are right. We do expect something in return. We expect to foster a conservative governing philosophy consisting of limited government and respect for traditional American virtues. We expect a return on our investment.”

http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/betsy-devos-trumps-big-donor-education-secretary

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
There should be a lot more live audiostreams of court hearings just like that one. That was awesome to listen to in real-time as everyone was arguing their cases. Probably going to be used in classrooms around the country at some point.

But keep cameras way, way far the gently caress away. Just leads to grandstanding bullshit.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

There should be a lot more live audiostreams of court hearings just like that one. That was awesome to listen to in real-time as everyone was arguing their cases. Probably going to be used in classrooms around the country at some point.

I know of one law school class (Northwestern) that tuned in live. They died laughing apparently.

In other news from bizarro world, Rs both believe in Climate change and want more taxes now:

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/07/science/a-conservative-climate-solution-republican-group-calls-for-carbon-tax.html?partner=rss&emc=rss

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
Look at mister optimist here talking about class rooms in the future

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
http://whytrumpisgreat.com

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

Look at mister optimist here talking about class rooms in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HK0BMaUMmGw

• Locked thread