Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DeadReed
Feb 14, 2012
Past Steel

Freed from the grave of space, the universe changed with the discovery of Yamato-Day particles, ushering in an era of deadly mech-augmented conflict.

Though the last war is over and the remains of massive star empires are still smoldering, trouble is erupting just around the bend.

Among these dimming stars, you live on as a problem-solver with unpaid debts. You might not survive this time. Physically. Or mentally.

Deeds, good or bad, never go unpunished and Past Steel eventually breaks or tarnishes.

A real robot game set in a ruined universe after the end of an all-encompassing war.

Past Steel features:

* Edgy troubleshooters and desperate crewmen haunted by dreadful pasts, doomed futures, and dire flaws.
* Sleek hardware and cool character options to customize your character with.
* Tactical action punctuated with slow-burning despair and quick nasty deaths.
* Hard, stoic figures and blood-splattered innocents to love, respect, or turn into beef confetti.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

終わりなき生存:Forever Existence

When humanity discovered the Ways, they believed they were entering a bright future.

On the other side, however, humanity discovered foes beyond understanding. In that moment, we felt mortality.

Flying into a far future where they are outgunned by the laws of relativity, a group of humans wage a desperate war of survival and discovery. Learning more about their foes, they must travel back through the Ways to Earth in order to inform their superiors about the nature of their threat - in order to develop the next generation of technology.

The question is, how far will they go and how many years will pass? What may be only a day of travel to them might herald centuries of untold changes on Earth… and on the nature of humanity. Will there be an Earth they can return to, and if so - will it and its people welcome them back?

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Depertment Zero: Stand Together Complex

The world is dangerous and weirder than you ever thought possible in a world reeling from the discovery of a multiversal convergence engulfing our City. It seems like every other day you have some new world ending doom!

There is no entity too ancient, or case too weird, for The Special Crimes Branch of the Metropolitan Police! It's time to call in Department Zero! This latest entry in the Department Zero series utilizes new mystery building mechanics, while allowing much more creativity and flexibility in play. So join your fellow officers in the department, and use your high tech know-how, gritty determination, dark magics, or even the power of Friendship!TM and thwart the nefarious plots of aliens, demons, mad scientists, and more who are planning to unleash devastating cataclysms upon your fair city.

This game is not appropriate for children, but we both know you'll play it anyway.

*150 words exactly by my count

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Alright, I've got up to Error404. We've got less than 6 hours remaining, so HURRY UP AND ANIME!

People Remaining:
  • remusclaw
  • grassy gnoll
  • demota
  • Roland Jones
  • FewtureMD
  • drrockso20
  • Bendigeidfran
  • Snooze Cruise
  • Disproportionate Orphan
  • DNA Cowboys

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

In the grand tradition of overemotional teens in giant robots engaging in battle while displaying an egregious misunderstanding of Christian symbolism, I give you...

The game of young heroes, ruled by passion, tempered by faith, and armed with Giant Robots.

For over 1,000 years, The Chimeric Papacy has been the guiding force of human civilization, having brought together the warring schisms that once threatened to destroy civilization.

Now discord and uncertainty reign. Dark secrets long buried and hoped forgotten have surfaced, throwing the long peace into disarray. Adherents of an Ancient Schism, believing themselves wronged and aching to revenge a millennia old slight, now sow heresy, death, and destruction wherever they go.

As Faithful Knights Templar in service to Pope Anjelica III, it is your duty to wage war with the forces of heretical schism bent on destroying all that is right and true. Your passions and your faith give you strength, and the Schism has been mended once before. Gods willing, you will mend it again.

Tam pro papa quam Anjelica enim unitatis.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Feb 6, 2017

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Its Shirobako, but also Fiasco

It was a demoralizing year. You were stuck making a series you didn’t believe in. The studio only saw anime as a product. There was no joy or art in their vision of animation. It all felt so soulless it almost killed your love of anime.

But this year will be different. You and a like-minded group of coworkers left the studio to strike out on your own. You are going to make anime you believe in. Our studio is going to be different...

Our Studio is a game where you take the role of an employee of an anime studio. Work together with your friends to create the anime of your dreams. Each player has a job to do whether it is writing, animating, acting, or directing. Switch between scenes of your anime and the reality of running a studio. Create in any genre. Do anime your own way.

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009
Due to unforeseen RL circumstances, I won't be able to make it. I guess I shouldn't have done it so last minute. Sorry for troubling you, TheSoundNinja! I will be following this and I will hopefully pay attention to contests sooner in the future.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Disproportionate Orphan posted:

Due to unforeseen RL circumstances, I won't be able to make it. I guess I shouldn't have done it so last minute. Sorry for troubling you, TheSoundNinja! I will be following this and I will hopefully pay attention to contests sooner in the future.

No worries. Would you still be game to help with playtesting?

Disproportionate Orphan
Apr 17, 2009

TheSoundNinja posted:

No worries. Would you still be game to help with playtesting?

Sure, I'd be glad to! I'm free on Sundays and most weekday nights to help playtest, and also have a dedicated RP group IRL.

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

Heavy Hearts

“It’s Haruka’s fault! She didn’t finish that binding spell in time!” “Well, I would have if Akiko had been kept her shield up…”

“Girls, shut up and let me think. One of you is the reason the mission failed, and I WILL get to the bottom of this…”

Heavy Hearts is a game of passing the blame and avoiding the consequences of your actions. Players will take on the roles of a team of magical girls during a debriefing with their cute, but severe mascot over a failed mission. Over the course of the evening you’ll pass the blame back and forth, while coming up with plausible reasons as to why this fiasco is someone else’s fault.

This game requires nothing more than a set of tokens and an active imagination, but some d6s could be useful with random character generation.

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Requiem of Rose: The Third Age of the Zalfor Saga

Historians remember the twilight years of the Concordant Empire as ones of decadent beauty. Plunder from Empress Theodyne’s Endless Crusade has enriched the nobility like a tick feeding upon a plague-ridden dog, while the lower classes are wracked by bloodshed and despair.

The Archivist’s Uprising of 2139 has been excised from all records. This is its chronicle: a tale of betrayal, regret, and desperate hope.

Far from the all-seeing mirrors of the Margyte Church’s Blood Inquisitors, the 7th Rose Squadron of soldier-librarians learns the terrible secret of the docents: the nobility’s favored pets are demons, whose word becomes flesh.

You are a member of the 7th Rose Squadron and you’re desperate. The Blood Inquisitors arrive on the full moon. They will reveal your Blight -- your passion for love, art, or revolution -- and you will be culled from the garden.
  • Earn (and spend) allies’ trust
  • Lose your soul
  • Eat delicious cake

DNA Cowboys
Feb 22, 2012

BOYS I KNOW
Requiem of Rose: The Third Age of the Zalfor Saga

The horror in Requiem of Rose comes from without (bloated, hole-filled demons; transforming into the same; imperialism; colonization) and within (how far are you willing to go to protect your ideals; dark passions; twisted love). Characters are graded on their success in civil service exams: Clerical, Leisure, Academics, Military, and Politics. All characters have Blossoms (secrets), while NPCs also have Thorns (defenses).

At the moment, I'm looking to draw on elements of My Life With Master, Paranoia, and The Mountain Witch. We'll see how successful I am!

Late Note: Dinner Time

“Feed me!” Stolas’s chubby beak opened wide to accept the chocolate-covered cherry. Rauna giggled and obliged. Despite Grigor’s warning about the docents, they were perfectly tame as long as they were fed.

The young librarian tapped her cherry-less fork against her docent’s crown, tipping it over the owl’s eyes. He wobbled and bobbled like an upended eggplant. She had made the crown from silver and sacred jade, employing the techniques of the conquered artisans of Yolg. In any other era, it would be a piece for royalty or a messiah. Under the Empress, the work of a conquered people was fit only for the flames of the Elforge. Rauna bit her lip and bapped Stolas again with her fork.

The docent squarked at the unexpected rage in Rauna’s strike and wobbled into the teapot. Rauna dove, but it was too late. The teapot struck the ground like a funeral bell. Her funeral bell. The Blood Inquisition would arrive tomorrow. This was her last meal.

Crimson Smoke pooled on white marble. That tea could have paid for a year of grain. Her face was haggard in its reflection, her eyes were yellow and slit-pupiled. She had already given so much, and Bado had taken so much more. Her new skin felt like burlap and nails, but even this was better than would come if she failed to protect Grigor. She removed Stolas’s crown and set it aside. His eyes had changed. They were dark and cruel.

“Now,” the demon growled. “Feed me.”

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Alright, just under 2 hours remain. Tezuka speed to you goons!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Psycho-Knights: The Intersection of Power & Terror

It is the year 2XXX, 30 years ago the mysterious metal known as Psygonite was discovered, it's Psycho-Reactive properties revolutionizing the world, unbeknownst to most however an ancient and terrible cult has known of this material for centuries, and are now using it's newfound commonness to bring to fruition their horrid goals; to awaken long buried genes in Humanity , enslaving most, turning some into monsters, and a few into veritable gods...

You will play as those who have been changed into that last category, through either luck or fate you have managed to escape before the cult could change your minds like they did your bodies, now you must fight them to save both the world and your very souls.

This game is based on Swords & Wizardry Complete by Frog God Games and is compatible with it and other OSR systems

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

Psycho-Knights: The Intersection of Power & Terror

It is the year 2XXX, 30 years ago the mysterious metal known as Psygonite was discovered, it's Psycho-Reactive properties revolutionizing the world, unbeknownst to most however an ancient and terrible cult has known of this material for centuries, and are now using it's newfound commonness to bring to fruition their horrid goals; to awaken long buried genes in Humanity , enslaving most, turning some into monsters, and a few into veritable gods...

You will play as those who have been changed into that last category, through either luck or fate you have managed to escape before the cult could change your minds like they did your bodies, now you must fight them to save both the world and your very souls.

This game is based on Swords & Wizardry Complete by Frog God Games and is compatible with it and other OSR systems

Gotcha, I'll record it when I get home.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
not the best work, but I've been without internet for the last couple days, so I had to rush it a bit, but I think I got the main point across, also here's the anime that is Psycho-Knights' main influence, 1989's Cybernetics Guardian;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4JUEIjXji8

demota
Aug 12, 2003

I could read between the lines. They wanted to see the alien.
1985: 20 years after the turf war that saw the Banchou Banner planted on Olympus Mons, a new generation of duelling delinquents is ready to rock! In this new age of Japanese prosperity, Nekketsu High has been transformed into a school for the wealthy and powerful. The student council rules with an iron fist, determined to stamp out delinquency once and for all.

The burning spirit of youth, however, has never changed. Hot-blooded students, now hiding their battles behind a pretense of respectable club activities, wage war for territory, justice, or the simple thrill of battle. Today’s banchou and sukeban are flush with flash and cash, but their wild wills can never be tamed.

In Banchou Breakers, you and other students must battle within your school and without to show who’s the strongest, all the while trying to keep your activities hidden from the student council. Fight on, Banchou Breakers!

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

And the Week 1 deadline is now done! I'll be posting my comments on your submissions later today (after some rest for my weary eyes), but till then give yourselves a pat or 5 on the back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyFQVZ2h0V8

Out of everyone who signed up, only three people didn't make the cutoff with their idea. Sadly, one of them claimed a Late Pass but didn't deliver, so they have been let go.

Week 2 should be a little easier though! All you need to do is show me some progress on your game.

Now, what does that constitute? Show me a few mechanics, or layouts, or components you have made or have worked out by Sunday, February 12th at 11:59p CST.

What if you decide the path you were going down was wrong and you need to...

Well, that's fine too. You still need to post something that qualifies for the above, but need to include an adjusted Ad Copy. It doesn't need to be 150 words, just a quick summary pitch to show us the new direction you'll be taking.

So, if you are Grassy Gnoll or Bendigeidfran: Do the above, the 150 word (exactly) Ad Copy, and what you need to do to claim the Late Pass by the deadline listed above.

Good night all of you beautiful bastards! May a flock of magical girls, shonen heroes, giant robots, mah Jong tiles, the pompadours of bancho, and the Fists of the North Star see you toward sweet dreams. Even if you live in an area of the world where it is day - just tell those around you some dude on the internet told you that you had his permission to take a nap.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I'm going to one-up this requirement, TheSoundNinja. I'm using googledocs to write things up so you can just keep track of things here.

So, first off, you might notice the name and the genericism. Well, the second I got Shonen, I immediately started writing and didn't realize we were expected to have a setting. I was expecting the modifier to be "extreme violence" or something like that, not "sequel." Not that that's a problem and I've already worked out how to make all this work. As you can see then, the document is for my original idea, pre-modifier, of a generic shonen system.

It's incomplete, but not far off from being done. I just need to finish the Arc section, do chargen, and give some GM advice. I plan on finishing this draft treating it like the engine to make Gunz proper. Just seems easier that way.

It might look dull, but the Arc system is where this baby is gonna stand out. Especially with the inclusion of alternate Acts to slot in to keep things fresh.

Some planned changes from Fight, Train; Fight, Train to GUNZ:
  • A legacy fact added to chargen
  • You make a second character alongside your own that is the one whose footsteps you're following in (your father, your mother, etc.) with this person being the hero from the "previous anime"
  • A different combat system based off a simplified Exalted 3rd Edition just because I think that might be interesting (original is left in as alt rules)
  • Brief overview of the setting
  • And More

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
Seeing as Covok inspired me to do the same document thing, here's a link to my current design document, because I feel like I'll forget to post it up due to job stuff. Might as well treat it like a fake Kickstarter.

Burning Fires of Youth!!! The Demon Lord's Return Update 2: Even Delinquents Need Rules!

Look here if you're interested in seeing the progress that's happened so far, and expect things to keep changing over the next few weeks as the rule text is developed and edited.

For those who would like a more complete picture without sifting through a basic text document, here's what you can expect!
  • Combat is ready, and we've taken care of the heavy lifting so far, including helpful lists to detail the order in which actions occur.
  • Full details on the mahjong based system - including ways to make substitute decks if you're not a backer getting the customized Mahjong set pledge reward.
  • Character creation rules, along with the first set of Fighting Style and Spiritual Power building blocks - as playtesting continues, we're hoping to expand on these and balance them further based on actual play.
  • Basic rules for Background Characters, enemies, and a few tips to help you use them.

So what's next in line? Well, currently, the editors are hard at work on the initial revisions behind the following content:
  • Tips for running the game, including GM advice, suggestions for Arcs and Episodes, and a full table for randomly generating demon names.
  • A sample Episode, based off of the first episode of the revived series Burning Fires of Youth!!! The Demon Lord's Return
  • A handy episode guide for the series that also serves as a guide to the game world, so even people who haven't seen the series can understand what's going on.
  • A few sample characters to make things easier for new players and GMs looking to run a quick game.

The graphics department is hard at work preparing templates for layout, so as soon as the text is finalized, we'll be able to quickly transfer the text to the final layout. Backers will receive this as soon as it is ready, minus any art assets - consider this a preview of the final book.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Well, at least I have a couple days to decide whether to keep going with Exceed Zeta or to try and make something that's not Obviously Double Cross. :v:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here's my progress on High School Crush

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Hey, would an Unknown Armies style Occult Underground war qualify for Transhumanism in this contest? I think I have something to work with if I can hammer out a few more details.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

Hey, would an Unknown Armies style Occult Underground war qualify for Transhumanism in this contest? I think I have something to work with if I can hammer out a few more details.

Tell me about it, and your angle.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

Tell me about it, and your angle.

I was thinking about someone trying to connect to another dimension where psychological aspects like the persona, shadow, nightmares etc. became physical. Rather than drowning the world in its shadow, the strengthened connection causes more personal demons to become real and run amok. People can use their own personas and shadows to fight them, but run the risk of death or being consumed by their shadows.

Does that make sense? One of the details I'm worrying about is whether this is a secret or a known issue.

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

I was thinking about someone trying to connect to another dimension where psychological aspects like the persona, shadow, nightmares etc. became physical. Rather than drowning the world in its shadow, the strengthened connection causes more personal demons to become real and run amok. People can use their own personas and shadows to fight them, but run the risk of death or being consumed by their shadows.

Does that make sense? One of the details I'm worrying about is whether this is a secret or a known issue.

So, like Shin Megami Tensei (and more specifically, Persona)?

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

So, like Shin Megami Tensei (and more specifically, Persona)?

Yeah, Persona is a major inspiration for this. With a little bit of The World Ends With You thrown in to taste.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Agent Rush posted:

Well, at least I have a couple days to decide whether to keep going with Exceed Zeta or to try and make something that's not Obviously Double Cross. :v:

There are worse RPGs to make.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I feel like "Double Cross that's not an unending nightmare of crunch and haphazardly translated" is a completely reasonable goal for this contest, yeah.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Mystic Mongol posted:

There are worse RPGs to make.

Antivehicular posted:

I feel like "Double Cross that's not an unending nightmare of crunch and haphazardly translated" is a completely reasonable goal for this contest, yeah.

I guess that's true, although in the end it's up to TheSoundNinja.

Although for my Persona framework, I was working with the idea that Personas were transformations while Shadows were Stands.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I'll be travelling later today for a student congress and won't probably be able to work much on the game for a whole week! Here's my in-progress stuff for Faculty of Senses...

TheSoundNinja
May 18, 2012

Agent Rush posted:

I guess that's true, although in the end it's up to TheSoundNinja.

Although for my Persona framework, I was working with the idea that Personas were transformations while Shadows were Stands.

I'm game for either, ultimately. Though I do like to Jo when I Jo, Double [Not as Grim] Cross could be cool as well.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TheSoundNinja posted:

I'm game for either, ultimately. Though I do like to Jo when I Jo, Double [Not as Grim] Cross could be cool as well.

Thanks for the help! Now all I need to do is figure out which will turn out better by the end of the week.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?
So, I could link the Google Doc I'm using to rough out my ideas in here. I'm not because I'm entirely too anxious about doing that, so instead you all get a quick explanation of Strikers [NG+]'s main stats and unique mechanic.

There are two sets of main stats, the same as most Cortex+ games. The first set is your Drives, why you're doing whatever you're doing. They are Glory (you're trying to make yourself or something else look better), Wealth (you're trying to get money or other material goods), Passion (you're doing this for love, or revenge, or any other similarly intense feeling), Knowledge (you're trying to understand something better) and Justice (you're trying to do The Right Thing). The second is Attributes (name subject to change), which are how you're doing this. They are Might (using pure force), Cunning (dirty tricks, sneaking around and knowing when to run), Will (gritting your teeth and refusing to stop), Skill (precise applications of your abilities) and [b]Charm]/b] (talking your way into and out of situations).

Now if you don't know how Cortex+ works, here's a quick explanation before I continue: The short version is that each stat is rated at a die size between d4 and d12. When you do something that requires rolling, you take the most relevant stat from each set plus any other relevant qualities that has a die rating attached to it and roll them all together in one pool. You take the two dice with the highest rolled results and add them together, and that's your total. However, any 1s you roll give your GM an opportunity to give you a complication at the price of giving you one Plot Point. So, if you're trying to steal a key to your lover's cell off the dark lord's belt, your dice pool is going to be Passion d8, Cunning d10, and an additional d6 from doing this in the middle of an Extravagant Festival d6. Then, if you roll a 2, a 7 and a 3 the final total is going to 10.

Now, back to my game. Everyone starts each season of Strikers [NG+] with relatively low Attributes for one specific reason. Before any roll, you can flash back to the previous season when you did something impressive with that stat. You can then add that stat to your roll three times instead of one (3d6 instead of d6) and you permanently step up that stat one die size. However, if any of those dice come up as a 1 the GM can give you a permanent Scar instead of taking an opportunity. Scars are things like Wanted: Dead Or Alive or Wasting Illness or Injured Sword Arm, and they're the ongoing consequences of what you did in that flashback that you can't quite shake. When your Scars would hinder an action you're taking, you add a d4 to your dice pool and the GM gives you a plot point.

Of course, all of this is subject to change. I might adjust how hard it is to get a Scar, I might rephrase some of the names, all that. All I got to do now is make a bunch of talents for people to take and rewrite basically the entire Cortex+ Action ruleset for the final pdf. Part of this is interesting, part of this is easy but incredibly boring and I'm dreading it utterly. You can guess which part is which.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I'm gonna have to drop OSRMANCE, got too much other stuff on my plate this month. Good luck everyone else.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Phone posting but I'll tidy this post up later. Here's my entry.

DeadReed
Feb 14, 2012
My schedule is swamped so I'm officially dropping out.

Trollhawke
Jan 25, 2012

I'LL GET YOU THIS YEAR! EVEN IF I SAID THIS LAST YEAR TOOOOOO
God I love the smell of salty succubi in the morning

Progress report: Mechanical groundwork laid out
Book Layout
Due to the independance of some of the mechanics from each other, I have decided to split the book into sections which contain the resolution mechanics alongside the lore/creation mechanics. The intent of this is to make it easier to remember where a certain piece of information is - if it's about travel, it'll be in the Space section. If it's about ships, combat or creation, it'll be in ships, and if it's about characters it'll be in characters. So far, my plan (chapter names pending) is roughly:
  • Introduction
  • Space setting/Travel mechanics
  • Character creation/character resolution
  • Ship creation/Ship combat
  • Time magic/Lost in time and space

Character creation/Experience
Characters begin with a score of 1 in 5 attributes: Body, Dexterity, Mental, Social and Spiritual. Players are then allowed to add 2 to their attributes in any manner they desire before taking on "Experiences". Experiences are packages of 3 upgrades (and possibly some traumas) which are tied to experiences in your character's background called "Memories". Each Experience has a different XP total connected to it - for character creation, you are alotted a certain amount of XP to spend on these experiences.

After character creation, experience can be spent as normal to upgrade skills, attributes and to buy certain advantages. For every 3 things you spend experience on, you must tie them together into a memory.
Example Experience:
[Ship Captain]
- Social + 1
- Command + 2
- Body + 1
-One Trauma of choice, relating to War/Death.
(XP:13xp)

Example of XP expenditure:
Zapped Shenanigans spends XP to increase his body by 1, his Seduce by 1 and his martial arts by 1. Zapped's player remembers when one of the other new players joined the crew, Lei on Hands, who also has been improving their body/martial arts recently. So, Zapped ties it together by making the memory of "Joint workouts with the new kid" to cover the body, seduce and martial arts raises. If, when he gets lost in time and space he loses this memory, he will also lose the benefits (but can regain them back at a reduced cost with time).
For the playtest: I will make 4 ship role experiences, 5-7 background experiences and 1-4 traumatic experiences (as well as a beta character sheet, exp chart, etcetc.)

Resolution Mechanics
Besides ship to ship combat(we'll get to that later), the games uses a d6 stat+skill success pool system. The baseline difficulty is 3+, but instead of variabl pool size the difficulty and be shifted up/down by various factors, from a minimum of 2+ to a maximum of 6+(which will be very rarely reached).
For the playtest: A couple of weapons, some basic armour options and roll modifier charts. Also, basic non-ship combat rules.

Ship travel
Usually done at the beginning of the session, the Captain determines the destination (if any). Then, two things happen simultaneously - The Pilot/Captain role to reach their destination succesfully, and the GM rolls to determine how long the journey will take. If the Pilot/Captain roll badly, mishaps and shenanigans can happen. This is also where players can buy

For the playtest:Mapmaking rules, One pre-genned map/scenario, mishap and new planet charts up to 2d6, rather than the full d66.

Ship-to-Ship combat
Ship combat focuses around weapon timing. Each weapon takes a certain amount of time to charge, then fire, and each charge time acts to break up S2S combat into rounds. Players can do various actions depending on what's on board the ship (or at least, make progress with them), interceded with the impact of the ship's weapons.
Ship lore and such
Each ship is manufactured by one of X "Clans" (which due to lore reasons are more franchised than unified): Freelance(aka the "no clan" option), Akechi, Toyotomi, Sanada, Uesugi, Ishida and Tokugawa clans. Each will have their own ship designs, unique tech and weaknesses. A ship can be a Hybrid of two or more clan tech, but hybridizing tech introduces unique weaknesses.
For the playtest:A Sample of ship designs, tech, etcetc. For two of the clans will be provided, those being the Akechi and Toyotomi clans. These two clans will be the focus of the pre-genned scenario.

Getting lost in time and space
Tied to the providence of time magic and the lack of safety in intergalactic travel, players (and ships) can get lost in time and space. When this happens, depending on the severity, multiple things can happen - You can find yourself somewhere random, go backwards or forwards on your personal timeline or even be attacked by supernatural beings(maybe). When you get lost in time and space, you roll to see how far lost in space you are(if applicable), and how far lost in time you are(if applicable).
For the playtest: Preliminary rules for being lost in time and space.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Here's the current Google Doc for progress on From Hell's Heart. I'm hoping to keep working on it tomorrow to flesh out the gameplay sections, but I feel like there's enough to at least post the link now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Here's my show of progress, a basic idea on how ARCS progresses as well as how Statistics will work.

ARCS Index
The ARCS Index is a measure of how concentrated the virus is in a character. It will most likely rise and fall over the course of a game, but the general rule is this: the higher the index, the more powerful you are, and the closer you are to Demonization.

Threshold Surges:

As a character’s ARCS Index climbs upward, other ways to enhance them become available. Choose one effect when activating a Threshold Surge, it can be different every time.

25% or greater:
Burst Regeneration: Remove all Strikes at a reduced gain of Virulence.
Targeted Enhancement: When using Enhancement, double the bonus paid for.

50% or greater:
Advance Strain: When activating a Strain Ability, you can use the Advanced version without gaining Virulence.
Spread ARCS: Successful attacks cause targets to gain Virulence.

75% or greater:
Nullify ARCS: Choose one; targets cannot use Strain Abilities, targets cannot Regenerate, targets cannot Enhance.
Extreme Strain: You can use the Extreme version of your Strain Abilities.

100%:
Initiate Demonization: Remove all Strikes, Raise all Stats, Ignore Strike Penalties (you can still be Downed), Strain Abilities do not gain Virulence. You cannot Regenerate or Enhance while Demonization is active.

Virulence
Virulence is a measure of how active ARCS is in attempting to overtake a character. Players can gain Virulence by Regenerating to remove Strikes from their Stats, Enhancing to add bonuses to their rolls, and to activate their character’s Strain Abilities.

Raising Virulence:

Regeneration: Using ARCS to remove Strikes without the use of Aid materials. Can also be used to recover from being Downed at additional cost.

Enhancement: Using ARCS to improve a Stat before a Test. Higher or longer lasting bonuses raise Virulence at a faster rate.

Strain Abilities: Using ARCS to generate various supernatural effects. Cost varies depending on ability and level used.

Applying Virulence to the ARCS Index
At the end of the current scene, any characters with Virulence greater than 0 enter the Resolution phase. Players roll their percentile dice. Rolling higher than their current ARCS Index is a success, while rolling lower than it is a failure. Matching the ARCS Index is a Critical Success and 01 is a Botch.

1. If the player succeeds, their ARCS Index and Virulence stay as they are.
2. If the player fails, they add their current Virulence to their ARCS Index. Then reduce Virulence to 0.
3. If the player critically succeeds, their ARCS Index stays as it is and the Virulence is reduced to 0.
4. If the player botches, they add their current Virulence to their ARCS Index without reducing Virulence.

Statistics

Force: For when you need to make something or someone do something

Agility: For when you need to move fast or skillfully

Resistance: For when you need to stop something or someone from making you do something

Expertise: For when you need to learn or remember facts or technical training

Intuition: For when you need to notice something important about the world

Strikes

Damage to characters in Exceed Zeta comes in the form of Strikes, penalties applied to a character’s Stats. When you take Strikes, you choose which Stats they apply to. Each Strike is -1, and if enough are applied to bring any Stat to zero the character is Downed. Whether you’ve been knocked unconscious, pinned by enemy fire, or are hanging off of a ledge, a Downed character cannot act without receiving Aid or Regenerating.

Passive v. Active Tests

The difference between a Passive Test and an Active Test is asking, “Is there a mind opposing this action?” If the answer is no, it’s Passive. If it’s yes, it’s Active. (Ex. Dealing a bear trap is a Passive Test. Dealing with a live bear is an Active Test.)

Passive Tests are resolved by rolling 2d6, adding the appropriate Stat number and any relevant bonuses to the dice result and comparing it to the Target Number set by the GM.

A general guide to Target Number difficulty:
4:Trivial, anyone can do it
6: Easy, most people can do it
8: Tough, people who know what’s up can do it
10: Challenging, some people can do it
12: Difficult, a few people can do it
14: Arduous, almost no one can do it
16+: Nigh Impossible, no one can do it without ARCS

Active Tests are a little more complex, being resolved by both parties rolling 2d6, adding their appropriate Stat number and relevant bonuses to the dice before comparing each other’s results. Highest number wins, although in case of ties default to the defender.
Note: this assumes there are only two participants in the Active Test. If there are more involved, each side with multiple parties selects a Primary, who rolls as normal. All other parties on that side count as Additions, and add their Stat number to the Primary’s result. In these cases, ties are decided by the number of Additions. If a tie remains, default to the defender.

More than likely these will change significantly, but I think it marks a foundation to work off of.

• Locked thread