Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

Got my Zotac GTX 1080 Mini today:

If I take the wraparound bezel off my S4 Mini (it's basically just an aesthetic piece), the thing fits with a few millimeters sticking out. I'm probably going to make a plate to cover up the end of the GPU if I wind up going with this GPU.

S4 Mini case with this GPU is easily the most powerful PC in the smallest space in the world, at least until someone makes a Thunderbolt dock where you stick a NUC and GPU together in it.

How do your temps look with the panels on? How's the fan noise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

How do your temps look with the panels on? How's the fan noise?

I wouldn't know, I can't find an ASRock Z270 Gaming motherboard for sale.

That's the kind with the Thunderbolt 3 port, it's the only ITX mobo that has one so I kind of want it for futureproofing.

The fan noise is probably the biggest challenge of the case but I'm up for it. I can fit a CPU cooler up to 45mm, so I got a very low heatsink (23mm) and I'm going to try combining it with either a 140x13mm fan, or a 180x18mm fan, those were the two thinnest I could find in those sizes. The large diameters help a ton I've always found.

The slots in the panels are pretty big so I'd imagine it wouldn't make much of a difference for air flow since I'm orienting the case vertically.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Feb 2, 2017

eames
May 9, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

I can add that my Dell T20 micro-ATX E3-1225 v3/C226 (~i5-4460) system with 4x4GB ECC DDR3 DIMMs, a SATA SSD and a 3.5" SATA HDD running on a 280W 80+ Bronze PSU idles at around 30W in CentOS 7.

Compared to my i7-920 system, which even swapped with an underclocked L5520 @0.9V and a fanless 80+ Platinum PSU used 70W idle, it's a lot more attractive as a home server. I currently use a Braswell N3150 system that takes about 20W with two DDR3L DIMMs and an SSD and while I haven't found much to beat that target and retain normal PC I/O connectivity options, if I ever find myself needing more speed I'm happy to know that Haswell is so efficient.

I wish that there were consumer boards available with full mobile chips soldered-in, kind of like something between a NUC and a Xeon D system. The Braswell system that I use is a good starter NAS but if it had slots for multiple expansion cards and a little bit faster CPU then it would feel more perfect for the purpose. Coming from the other direction, I don't imagine that a desktop i3 idles that much higher than a mobile dual-core but without the option to undervolt on most boards there's no way to optimize it for 24/7 use.

Dell T20 are amazing, I can't stop raving about them. Mine has 16GB ECC DDR3L, a SATA SSD, three 8TB drives and a GTX1060-6GB and idles at 30W with the drives spun down. The GPU is passed through to a Win 10 VM for steam in-home streaming — plays most games at 1440p/Ultra/60fps and saves me from buying a dedicated gaming desktop/laptop for my casual gaming.

With the GPU overclocked, this machine machine pulls ~200W at the wall. 230W when the drives spin up during Furmark + Prime.
According to the PSU data sheet that's roughly 60% of the maximum load (350W) and fairly close to its max efficiency.

I believe the PSU itself could handle an undervolted 1080 just fine, that'd only be 30W more (~80% of rated load).
Would I recommend doing that? No, of course not, but I don't understand why people recommend 650W (DC) PSUs for 170W (DC) systems.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Malcolm XML posted:

Sure but there are dozens of gan power electronics companies and you can basically only get samples at best for the higher voltage stuff. Avogy couldn't even build a gan based charger, they had to use SiC MOSFETs.

Reading about this more, it is possible that GaN homo-epitaxially grown devices on the GaN wafers, which are needed to make the highest voltage and highest power devices might still not be ready for prime time. I'm not sure which is the harder technical problem--production of the bulk GaN wafer or the device engineering of the vertical GaN FETs.

Both white LEDs/blue lasers and GaN RF devices and chips are produced in different ways/use slightly different manufacturing technologies than what is needed for the highest power devices.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

silence_kit posted:

Reading about this more, it is possible that GaN homo-epitaxially grown devices on the GaN wafers, which are needed to make the highest voltage and highest power devices might still not be ready for prime time. I'm not sure which is the harder technical problem--production of the bulk GaN wafer or the device engineering of the vertical GaN FETs.

Both white LEDs/blue lasers and GaN RF devices and chips are produced in different ways/use slightly different manufacturing technologies than what is needed for the highest power devices.

I didn't understand most of those words, but are you saying that the leap from the 65w Dart chargers into say, 500w ATX PSUs is difficult? Or just that we're a long way off from using the tech on multi kilowatt electric car chargers? I actually have an interest in both.

Edit: Found this while googling... 95% efficient AC-DC 240w GaN evaluation board from ON Semiconductor, 3 in stock, seems like one could make a killer PSU out of that if they had the knowhow: http://www.onsemi.com/PowerSolutions/evalBoard.do?id=NCP1397GANGEVB

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Feb 2, 2017

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Zero VGS posted:

I wouldn't know, I can't find an ASRock Z270 Gaming motherboard for sale.

That's the kind with the Thunderbolt 3 port, it's the only ITX mobo that has one so I kind of want it for futureproofing.

The fan noise is probably the biggest challenge of the case but I'm up for it. I can fit a CPU cooler up to 45mm, so I got a very low heatsink (23mm) and I'm going to try combining it with either a 140x13mm fan, or a 180x18mm fan, those were the two thinnest I could find in those sizes. The large diameters help a ton I've always found.

The slots in the panels are pretty big so I'd imagine it wouldn't make much of a difference for air flow since I'm orienting the case vertically.

I'm looking at your pics again, and I almost feel like if you cut down the plastic shroud a little and bent some of the fins, you'd be able to fit the wrap piece on.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

VulgarandStupid posted:

I'm looking at your pics again, and I almost feel like if you cut down the plastic shroud a little and bent some of the fins, you'd be able to fit the wrap piece on.

You'd have to unscrew the shroud, bend the fins a little, and file the fan blades because they go like 2mm past the heatsink.

That's OK though, I wasn't super attached to the wrap piece. I was going to try mounting this whole piece behind my monitor, and try to keep under the Ergotron's 25lbs weight limit, and the wrap bezel is a little over a pound, it weights about as much as rest of the case combined.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

eames posted:

Dell T20 are amazing, I can't stop raving about them. Mine has 16GB ECC DDR3L, a SATA SSD, three 8TB drives and a GTX1060-6GB and idles at 30W with the drives spun down. The GPU is passed through to a Win 10 VM for steam in-home streaming — plays most games at 1440p/Ultra/60fps and saves me from buying a dedicated gaming desktop/laptop for my casual gaming.

With the GPU overclocked, this machine machine pulls ~200W at the wall. 230W when the drives spin up during Furmark + Prime.
According to the PSU data sheet that's roughly 60% of the maximum load (350W) and fairly close to its max efficiency.

I believe the PSU itself could handle an undervolted 1080 just fine, that'd only be 30W more (~80% of rated load).
Would I recommend doing that? No, of course not, but I don't understand why people recommend 650W (DC) PSUs for 170W (DC) systems.

It's amazing just 10 years ago Core 2 systems were idling somewhere from 100W to 180W, and now we can fit entire gaming PCs at load within that power budget. And also we thought before Conroe the FX-62 drawing 230W at the wall at load was good because the P4s drew ~300W. The funny part is that 300W AC space heater is still barely over 1/3 the output of a 650W DC watter.

650W PSUs are still so popular as they have the best output power/$, ironically because the power myth has become so ingrained and self-sustaining that it has created it's own economic of scale.

Palladium fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 3, 2017

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Zero VGS posted:

I didn't understand most of those words, but are you saying that the leap from the 65w Dart chargers into say, 500w ATX PSUs is difficult? Or just that we're a long way off from using the tech on multi kilowatt electric car chargers? I actually have an interest in both.

1. Malcolm XML claimed that the 65W dart charger probably doesn't have gallium nitride or silicon carbide devices in it. I have no clue whether that is true or not.

2. I do know that the power devices which have the highest breakdown voltages and conduct the largest currents are those of the 'vertical' type. I do not know enough about the subject to say where the line is drawn between the 'lateral' and 'vertical' semiconductor devices and in what applications you tend to use one type or the other type.

The point of my earlier post was to point out while there are gallium nitride semiconductor devices which exist today, the types of gallium nitride transistors needed to replace silicon transistors for use in the higher/highest power applications require development of new semiconductor device manufacturing technology.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

silence_kit posted:

Gan on gan/sic is expensive, the big advance is gan on si so that you can use cheap processes and also get logic and power integration. Gan wafers are small and there's no scale from that commodity silicon processes

Blue led use gan on sapphire which is also relatively expensive compared to gan on si but I guess scale makes it ok and lattice mismatch is not as bad.

Idk about rf

The upshot to all this for sff systems is that high voltage gan power devices => faster switching smps=> much smaller and denser power supplies.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

silence_kit posted:

1. Malcolm XML claimed that the 65W dart charger probably doesn't have gallium nitride or silicon carbide devices in it. I have no clue whether that is true or not.

2. I do know that the power devices which have the highest breakdown voltages and conduct the largest currents are those of the 'vertical' type. I do not know enough about the subject to say where the line is drawn between the 'lateral' and 'vertical' semiconductor devices and in what applications you tend to use one type or the other type.

The point of my earlier post was to point out while there are gallium nitride semiconductor devices which exist today, the types of gallium nitride transistors needed to replace silicon transistors for use in the higher/highest power applications require development of new semiconductor device manufacturing technology.

Chip works did a teardown on the zolt and it uses a sic MOSFET. This is strange because avogy is a gan company. Your titanium PSU probably has a sic diode. Tom's has really detailed PSU reviews and is super good at picking apart the topology and parts.

Gan offers even better density but hasn't cracked the market yet.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Malcolm XML posted:

Chip works did a teardown on the zolt and it uses a sic MOSFET. This is strange because avogy is a gan company. Your titanium PSU probably has a sic diode. Tom's has really detailed PSU reviews and is super good at picking apart the topology and parts.

Gan offers even better density but hasn't cracked the market yet.

So are these new fangled power electronics gonna fix the awful efficiency of current PSUs are around 30W DC and below?

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Malcolm XML posted:

Gan on gan/sic is expensive, the big advance is gan on si so that you can use cheap processes and also get logic and power integration.

GaN on Si is a specialty technology. It isn't like you can grow the GaN on the silicon and run that wafer through a silicon fab using the same manufacturing processes that you'd use for silicon devices. To make GaN on Si devices you'd need to run a special GaN on Si device/IC manufacturing plant.

You do get cost savings for using the cheaper silicon wafer (but I don't think just the plain wafer cost is that large fraction of device/IC cost, even for non-silicon semiconductor devices and ICs), and more importantly, you gain the ability to use IC/semi-conductor device manufacturing equipment which can handle larger wafer sizes, which helps lower device/IC production cost, since silicon wafers can be larger than other semi-conductor wafers.

Malcolm XML posted:

Gan wafers are small

GaN wafers are a newer technology. The reason why GaN metamorphically grown on Si, SiC, and sapphire are current technologies but not GaN homo-epitaxially grown on GaN is that bulk crystal growth of GaN can't be done in the same way as other semiconductors, like silicon, gallium arsenide, indium phosphide, and germanium, and isn't straightforward to do economically.

I bring up GaN wafers because for GaN devices to compete with silicon devices at the highest voltages and power levels, they will need to be 'vertical'-type devices. I think that GaN on SiC, sapphire, or silicon technologies cannot achieve 'vertical'-type devices because the hetero-interface between GaN and the dissimilar wafer is not a good conductor of electricity.

Malcolm XML posted:

The upshot to all this for sff systems is that high voltage gan power devices => faster switching smps=> much smaller and denser power supplies.

In addition, the GaN power transistors themselves, for the same power level, can be smaller than an equivalent silicon part.

This is why it is kind of tough to talk about cost. While it is unlikely that GaN on anything will ever be as low cost/area as silicon, the GaN devices are smaller themselves, and since they go to higher speeds for the same power levels, they enable smaller, cheaper inductors and capacitors. People don't care only about the device cost--they care about the entire power system cost, and GaN helps lower other costs in power converter systems.

Mung Dynasty
Jul 19, 2003

Why do the peasants slave while the emperor gets to eat all the mung?!
Newegg has the ASUS ROG STRIX Z270I available to order.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132954&cm_re=asus_rog_strix_z270i-_-13-132-954-_-Product

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

everything is available for my build...except my Metis Plus case :negative:

speaking of builds, https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Photex/saved/sWbjXL

any critiques?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Palladium posted:

So are these new fangled power electronics gonna fix the awful efficiency of current PSUs are around 30W DC and below?

Yeah but who gives a poo poo if it's like 1w in wasted power?

silence_kit posted:

GaN on Si is a specialty technology. It isn't like you can grow the GaN on the silicon and run that wafer through a silicon fab using the same manufacturing processes that you'd use for silicon devices. To make GaN on Si devices you'd need to run a special GaN on Si device/IC manufacturing plant.

You do get cost savings for using the cheaper silicon wafer (but I don't think just the plain wafer cost is that large fraction of device/IC cost, even for non-silicon semiconductor devices and ICs), and more importantly, you gain the ability to use IC/semi-conductor device manufacturing equipment which can handle larger wafer sizes, which helps lower device/IC production cost, since silicon wafers can be larger than other semi-conductor wafers.

GaN wafers are a newer technology. The reason why GaN metamorphically grown on Si, SiC, and sapphire are current technologies but not GaN homo-epitaxially grown on GaN is that bulk crystal growth of GaN can't be done in the same way as other semiconductors, like silicon, gallium arsenide, indium phosphide, and germanium, and isn't straightforward to do economically.

I bring up GaN wafers because for GaN devices to compete with silicon devices at the highest voltages and power levels, they will need to be 'vertical'-type devices. I think that GaN on SiC, sapphire, or silicon technologies cannot achieve 'vertical'-type devices because the hetero-interface between GaN and the dissimilar wafer is not a good conductor of electricity.

In addition, the GaN power transistors themselves, for the same power level, can be smaller than an equivalent silicon part.

This is why it is kind of tough to talk about cost. While it is unlikely that GaN on anything will ever be as low cost/area as silicon, the GaN devices are smaller themselves, and since they go to higher speeds for the same power levels, they enable smaller, cheaper inductors and capacitors. People don't care only about the device cost--they care about the entire power system cost, and GaN helps lower other costs in power converter systems.

The wafer size and type is a huge driver of cost-- sic and gan wafers are small and hard to create so using silicon as a substrate is really appealing. This means that you don't have a bom increase which helps offset the engineering you need to handle VHF switching in you power supply for tiny power supplies.

The gan power devices problem is that no one has been able to get devices to market even though you can see research projects with insane energy densities. That's why it's vaporware. You can actually buy SiC devices and they are used in real power supplies.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Photex posted:

everything is available for my build...except my Metis Plus case :negative:

speaking of builds, https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Photex/saved/sWbjXL

any critiques?

Why are you buying a no-name "MyDigitalSSD" 512gb m.2 drive for $200 from NewEgg Marketplace when a 500gb m.2 850 Evo is $167 on NewEgg directly?

Omgz
Oct 5, 2008
Hey guys I bought a Node 202 for the wifes computer build and have had problems with the riser board and my old EVGA GTX 760. Namely when its plugged into the riser or even part of the riser the FPS drop from a solid 60-70 to <10 and then it eventually crashes. I've got a replacement riser from Fractal Designs support (who have been really great btw) that had the exact same issue. Has anyone else had this issue? The shop I bought the case from tested out one of risers with a Radeon 290 and had no issues, although I'm not sure what testing they actually performed. Just curious if anyone else had come across this, it's probably about time to upgrade that card for her anyway though.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Zero VGS posted:

Why are you buying a no-name "MyDigitalSSD" 512gb m.2 drive for $200 from NewEgg Marketplace when a 500gb m.2 850 Evo is $167 on NewEgg directly?

I looked up the device. It's an NVMe drive. How much are 500GB EVO 960s going for these days?

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Grundulum posted:

I looked up the device. It's an NVMe drive. How much are 500GB EVO 960s going for these days?

$50 more... considering Samsung and 3-year warranty I'd spring for that.

Just because the MyDigitalStoarage is an NVMe drive doesn't mean it'll match up in benchmarks. For all we know it could be slower than the non-NVME 850 Evo.

But that's just the thing, no one knows, because as far as I can see there's no benchmarks for it.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

Omgz posted:

Hey guys I bought a Node 202 for the wifes computer build and have had problems with the riser board and my old EVGA GTX 760. Namely when its plugged into the riser or even part of the riser the FPS drop from a solid 60-70 to <10 and then it eventually crashes. I've got a replacement riser from Fractal Designs support (who have been really great btw) that had the exact same issue. Has anyone else had this issue? The shop I bought the case from tested out one of risers with a Radeon 290 and had no issues, although I'm not sure what testing they actually performed. Just curious if anyone else had come across this, it's probably about time to upgrade that card for her anyway though.

Another goon had this problem with his RVZ02 riser which is pretty much the same thing. It's only a few pages back but I don't think he ever posted his final conclusion. I'm guessing that cards that draw their power through the PCIE slot may encounter problems with riser cards.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Zero VGS posted:

$50 more... considering Samsung and 3-year warranty I'd spring for that.

Just because the MyDigitalStoarage is an NVMe drive doesn't mean it'll match up in benchmarks. For all we know it could be slower than the non-NVME 850 Evo.

But that's just the thing, no one knows, because as far as I can see there's no benchmarks for it.

There are a ton of benchmarks on it on toms hardware and its their recommended nvme drive for $200 , I'm phone posting but I'll grab a link when I get to a PC.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

as promised:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ssds,3891.html

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

The takeaway is it performs the same as the 960 Evo, and actually has a longer claimed warranty and endurance for $50 less.

The only scary looking thing is it seems to be an energy hog and runs very hot. If that doesn't bother you, then go for it I guess.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.
I didn't know it would be so stupid.
Crossposting from the parts picker thread:

Does anyone have any experience with MSI's Aegis X barebones? I understand it's a little more pricey than buying everything separately, but I found one at discount + they're offering a $50 rebate right now (would be $350 after the rebate arrives). Just wondering about the quality / reliability of the components.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

Coldforge posted:

Crossposting from the parts picker thread:

Does anyone have any experience with MSI's Aegis X barebones? I understand it's a little more pricey than buying everything separately, but I found one at discount + they're offering a $50 rebate right now (would be $350 after the rebate arrives). Just wondering about the quality / reliability of the components.

Everything seems nice except the motherboard has Killer NIC+Wifi, they have dicey drivers compared to Intel or Realtek. But besides that the motherboard is nice and even has front-facing USB-C, and you're getting a nice small case with carrying handle, a decent PSU that'll handle any modern GPU, included CPU water cooler, and the whole thing is probably umbrella'ed under a single warranty, right? Seems solid for $350.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

Zero VGS posted:

Everything seems nice except the motherboard has Killer NIC+Wifi, they have dicey drivers compared to Intel or Realtek. But besides that the motherboard is nice and even has front-facing USB-C, and you're getting a nice small case with carrying handle, a decent PSU that'll handle any modern GPU, included CPU water cooler, and the whole thing is probably umbrella'ed under a single warranty, right? Seems solid for $350.

Appreciate it, thank you. Bought!

Edit: If anyone else is interested, https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856167135&ignorebbr=1 with promo code 02034D02, through Monday.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Feb 5, 2017

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Coldforge posted:

MSI's Aegis X barebones

Holy poo poo that case is hideous :psypop:

Looks aside, I'd pass because of the apparently non-standard PSU, which could make sourcing a replacement after the 1 year warranty period challenging.

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

SamDabbers posted:

Looks aside, I'd pass because of the apparently non-standard PSU, which could make sourcing a replacement after the 1 year warranty period challenging.

Yeah, but the lights appear to be adjustable (hopefully that includes off), and it's small enough that it'll sit behind the monitor. The PSU & "proprietary" nature of other bits do worry me some, but I just splurged an extra $15 on an extended warranty (not Newegg's), so that hopefully won't be an insurmountable problem.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SamDabbers posted:

The PSU is standard. Specifically, it is the "Flex ATX" standard. They are a bit exotic to use for desktops but it is the most common PSU for 1U server chassis. Any of these would (probably, as long as the cable lengths are OK) work as drop-in replacements:

https://smile.amazon.com/FSP-Solution-24-Pin-efficiency-FSP400-70LQ/dp/B01N4IGM0O

Edit: The only downside to Flex PSU is that it uses a really small and therefore loud (40mm) fan because of the orientation. An SFX-L power supply takes up about the same volume but gets a 120mm fan instead since it goes along the bottom instead of out the side.

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Feb 5, 2017

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
Lipstick Apathy

SamDabbers posted:

I knew I recognized it from somewhere...

Coldforge
Oct 29, 2002

I knew it would be bad.

That actually makes me like the kit even more :dance:

And thanks for the info! Hopefully won't need it, but I'm definitely making a note.

edit: vvvv Will do.

Coldforge fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Feb 5, 2017

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Coldforge posted:

That actually makes me like the kit even more :dance:

And thanks for the info! Hopefully won't need it, but I'm definitely making a note.

This is such a goofy case. But I did have a huge soft spot for crazy decked out UFO type cases back then. Please come back and post how it looks like when get it and set it all up!

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
People who buy S4 Minis, wouldn't it better to have the power supply inside the case? You now have to have a power brick to even power it. I know it'll make the case slightly bigger, but it is feasible to fit an SFX in. Like even an S4 Mini dimensions of 330x340x75mm would fit a SFX PSU inside the case next to the motherboard and would allow for some bigger video cards. Maybe I just am missing the point of the S4 Mini.

Edit: Apparently there is already a case like the S4, the Sentry. It's 340x310x66mm. Fits a Titan XP and SFX-L PSUs.

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Feb 6, 2017

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I'd love to have one to save a lot of desk space. I would buy a S4 right now if I could externally power a 7700k and 1080/Titan X :saddowns:

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

NFC put up a video about the new HDPLEX 300.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahD4uGyWUDI

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
CPU

GPU

my CPU/GPU max/average temps after a game of overwatch on ultra mega super duper settings in my node 202 rig. pretty hot, how worried should I be?

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

an skeleton posted:

CPU

GPU

my CPU/GPU max/average temps after a game of overwatch on ultra mega super duper settings in my node 202 rig. pretty hot, how worried should I be?

Those are pretty hot for people who build in big cases with huge heats or water cooling and tons of fans. However, they are well within normal and safe operating ranges, so yes that's normal for ITX.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Thermal throttling doesn't even start to happen until something like 90 or 95C, so you're good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

an skeleton posted:

CPU

GPU

GPU is fine CPU is well hot. My 6600k never goes above 60 c. might be poorly applied thermal paste. What cpu and gpu you got?