Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Kung Fu Fist gently caress posted:

the idea that the military would prepare you for a no poo poo survival situation is pretty funny. weirdo prepper idiots who spout that kind of nonsense pretty much assures me theyre loving posers or completely retarded. all my meals were loving provided, i would have starved to death if left to my own devices

Yeah anyone in the US military who deploys without at least 6 plane loads of supplies will die of thirst in like half a day.

The only unit I can think of that even theoretically operates without resupply are the British Commonwealth SAS, and that's because they're a bunch of psycho lunatic pirates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Also keep in mind that every other military is worse.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Reverand maynard posted:

That's been our secret to success most of the time.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Pesticide20 posted:

Yes, that is true. It's called Edelweiss and is located in the town of Garmisch. When I was in Italy I went there for a weekend as part of a single soldier retreat (every company sent a few people and I was lucky enough to go). The resort is open to military members and their families, and I think retired military as well. It's basically a government run resort and is a huge morale booster for people that are stationed in Europe. If Congress shut it down they'd more than likely face a huge backlash from the military and public.

http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/

If you're still in and haven't gone I honestly cannot recommend the place enough. Go. It is an incredible deal and super fun. There's stuff to do year round, so don't think it's only for the winter.

Eligibility: http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/reservation-eligibility

You should also point out that Garmisch is exactly what you imagine a small German town to be with the most amazingly decorated houses you will ever see.

Add snow, the right time of year [Christmas market time], the right girl and you'll never get out of bed except to drink gluwine naked on the balcony whilst catching snowflakes on your cock.

Erm.... so I have been told.

Actual real life tears of joy thinking of that week I was there :D

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Pesticide20 posted:

Yes, that is true. It's called Edelweiss and is located in the town of Garmisch. When I was in Italy I went there for a weekend as part of a single soldier retreat (every company sent a few people and I was lucky enough to go). The resort is open to military members and their families, and I think retired military as well. It's basically a government run resort and is a huge morale booster for people that are stationed in Europe. If Congress shut it down they'd more than likely face a huge backlash from the military and public.

http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/

If you're still in and haven't gone I honestly cannot recommend the place enough. Go. It is an incredible deal and super fun. There's stuff to do year round, so don't think it's only for the winter.

Eligibility: http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/reservation-eligibility

Wow this is truly great, they even have dog rooms :3:
http://www.edelweisslodgeandresort.com/accommodations/dog-rooms

The other military resort centers can't be as nice right?

Suicide Watch fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Feb 7, 2017

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Reverand maynard posted:

Ooh, ooh, I have a question:

How do you feel about other branches of the military?

Both your branch's general opinion and your personal one, if it disagrees.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Army is pants on its head retarded. The air force is a hyper christian flavor of retarded. The marines are the hyper buff and hyper gay type of retarded. Like fire island level of gay. The navy is your drunk uncle that might get a little too handsy.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Every single branch of the military is filled with the same stupid people. The exact way that subordinates get hosed over varies from branch to branch, but ultimately it's the same poo poo just different flavored.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
As a(n Air Wing) Marine: The Air Force's officers were self important assholes but their enlisted dudes on the flightline were pretty chill dudes. The Navy was fun, they'd talk all kinds of poo poo and then buy you a beer for laughing at it. The Army seemed the same as us, just with a lovely PR dept and better organizational skills.

The official Marine outlook otoh is "We're better than you"

Dralun
May 22, 2012
I got out of the Army in '05. I don't recall the cult of the safety belt existing. When and how the hell did it become a required item?

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

Dralun posted:

I got out of the Army in '05. I don't recall the cult of the safety belt existing. When and how the hell did it become a required item?

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

The coast guard is the third cousin no one wants to talk about and the actual smallest branch in the military since the marines are part of the navy and not their own branch.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

ElMaligno posted:

The coast guard is the third cousin no one wants to talk about and the actual smallest branch in the military since the marines are part of the navy and not their own branch.

Coast Guard is the smallest regardless of the Marines status.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
But the coast guard actually serves a purpose.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
When did the icy realization that the military sucks, is gay and is not a meritocracy dawn on you guys?

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

When did the icy realization that the military sucks, is gay and is not a meritocracy dawn on you guys?

About three weeks into AIT.

Then I reenlisted, pinned on E-5, and had the even worse revelation that it was even less of a meritocracy.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
First actual PT session in basic.

Or maybe it was all the song singing.

It was too late to back out, anyway.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

Glenn Quebec posted:

my platoon went to disney world and the platoon of the guy that had blown his brains out the day before had to cover our weekend lol

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Glenn Quebec posted:

When I started getting what we in the National Guard call "The Dread". It creeps up the Monday before a drill weekend, and ruins your mood for the week.

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

Glenn Quebec posted:

While being eye-hosed as they chanted "fresh meat" when we passed before entering the dfac on the first day at 30th AG.

FIDEL CASHFLOW
Oct 13, 2009

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

When I started getting what we in the National Guard call "The Dread". It creeps up the Monday before a drill weekend, and ruins your mood for the week.

Dude this.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

the last few days of leave were useless because you knew the good times were almost over

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

same

drill depression is a real thing

tankfish
May 31, 2013
For the Canadian goons is really true that ammo is so low in the Canadian armed forces that people make pew pew noises when shooting guns at targets?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

Dralun posted:

If you were big army on a big base, 2005. Anaconda/Balad went full tits for the retard belt about halfway through the year, iirc.

Rest of the army, like dude said, 2007ish. And that probably depended wildly on where you were or what unit you were under. Some gently caress-all small detachments in far flung rear end cracks probably didn't play those games until later.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde
before belts were the thing we were wearing the orange vests 2004-6ish at Ft Hood.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah, every idiot had a road guard vest at every unit I was in until the belts became status quo. The belt was a welcome change for pt, but to wear it everywhere on base like a helmet and vest during rocket attack season is just dumb as loving hell.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

If you were big army on a big base, 2005. Anaconda/Balad went full tits for the retard belt about halfway through the year, iirc.

Rest of the army, like dude said, 2007ish. And that probably depended wildly on where you were or what unit you were under. Some gently caress-all small detachments in far flung rear end cracks probably didn't play those games until later.

I was at Camp Shelby in the fall of 2007 getting ready for Afghanistan and about halfway through, Novemberish, it came down that the belts were now required in theater so we had to start wearing them.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

it became base policy on speicher our last week there

Dralun
May 22, 2012

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

before belts were the thing we were wearing the orange vests 2004-6ish at Ft Hood.

I remember the road guard vests, but only for the front and end of the column when marching or doing PT and only if it was as a company or larger. The belts would have been an upgrade for at least PT if they were making those big orange things mandatory.

I was at middle of nowhere Indiana at Camp Atterbury for my last 18 months so I missed out on that fun.

Do The Evolution
Aug 5, 2013

but why
Is the US army upsizing or downsizing? What I read here indicates the latter, but my friend in intel says they're trying pretty hard to get him back (if you can call a 10k bonus for a one-year reup trying hard, I dunno how good that is for an army grunt).

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

Do The Evolution posted:

Is the US army upsizing or downsizing? What I read here indicates the latter, but my friend in intel says they're trying pretty hard to get him back (if you can call a 10k bonus for a one-year reup trying hard, I dunno how good that is for an army grunt).

no idea but even with downsizing there can be certain jobs in demand. I just got a text the other day about joining PYSOPS for some reason.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
It was downsizing until literally like a month ago. Now guys that are in the process of leaving the Army are being offered $10k to extend for another year.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
My one year window is about to open and I would extend for a year in a heartbeat for 10k but I doubt a NG non-critical would get it.

Better than the 4k for two years they are/were offering at least.

Arc Light
Sep 26, 2013

Glenn Quebec posted:

I got super lucky with my first unit. After all the gently caress gently caress games in training, I got to my first base and I honestly thought the "operational" Air Force was cool and good. Two years in Italy surrounded by smart, capable workers and leaders who cared about their troops.

Then I got to my second base and realized what an aberration the first assignment had been. Incompetence at every level, spineless leadership, blue falconry, etc etc etc. Nobody knew how to do their jobs because nothing was documented and everyone just learned from someone slightly less incompetent.

I can't put my finger on the exact moment of realization, but it coincided with a series of vivid and increasingly appealing dreams of going AWOL. I took a couple weeks of leave, and I was startled at the alien-ness of having fun and enjoying life.

Rather than get out, I stuck around for the easy money and got promoted. While the military is not a meritocracy, being a good book-learner and multiple-choice test taker will ABSOLUTELY get you promoted as an enlisted airman. Now that I'm a TSgt, I can carve out my own little domain and actually give my troops the training and leadership they deserve.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

On the Army side, being able to yell, recite canned answers from a script, and be in decent shape will get you promoted if there's a slot available.

At that point, you will begin the arduous process of not doing your actual job and becoming a babysitter who occasionally gets the chance to teach your subordinates something useful.

CHICKEN SHOES
Oct 4, 2002
Slippery Tilde

redneck nazgul posted:

On the Army side, being able to yell, recite canned answers from a script, and be in decent shape will get you promoted if there's a slot available.

At that point, you will begin the arduous process of not doing your actual job and becoming a babysitter who occasionally gets the chance to teach your subordinates something useful.

then you just start yelling various lines of the NCO creed at other NCOs to demonstrate your proficiency

UH FIRST SERGEANT I WILL ALWAYS PLACE THE NEEDS OF MY SOLDIER ABOVE MY OWN becomes a legit defense lol its all poo poo burn it all down

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Basically every branch of the military if you can yell the right things loud enough senior leadership will completely overlook you and whatever you're doing.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Does the litany of bullshit become hard to turn off in the real world? Because my dad was in the Army and loves everything military. A friend was in the Marines and he's super gung-ho about everything military but I have an Air Force friend and doesn't give a poo poo out his prior military experience. I mean, I get that people's experiences are unique and blablaba but is it just that sometimes, all the military drilling and horseshit works Stockholm style on a person?

My Dad and my friend saw combat though, that might be the game changer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

redneck nazgul posted:

Reminds me of our headquarters gimp, an E-6/11B who had been promoted TWICE because he was about to PCS to Bragg when his orders were cancelled so he could deploy with the unit. He should've stayed at E-4 because he was not fit to lead troops, let alone go outside the wire, but leadership didn't want him to "have to start over" when he got to Bragg so they promoted him for TIS/TIG. Guy was a legit retard. Spent an entire 12 months in Afghanistan loving with spreadsheets.

• Locked thread