Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

"That scene was not meant for you, children. It was meant for me" *dabs napkin on face *

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
There are more things in Lego and Nerf than are dreamt of in your philosophy

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Feb 5, 2017

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

I caught a screening of it too!

It was good but I'm not as enthused as our savage snail friend. Staying away from plot, I think the movie suffers a bit from the same issue the Pirates movies had. Sparrow/Batman was an amazing supporting character, but when you move him to the center everyone else needs to play the straight man to balance the movie out. Joker is very good, and a couple of the villains get a good gag or two (I still love Croc's line), but almost everyone in The Lego Movie that wasn't Emmet or Wyldstyle was amazing. The same definitely can't be said of this one.

Plot stuff. I'm being liberal with spoilers before the US wide release.

I think The Lego Movie's 3rd act twist is what elevates it from being "a fun animated flick" to "an actual good movie," and this doesn't do anything like that. It has some things to say about the Batman mythos, but nothing particularly groundbreaking. This is sorta unfair to Lego Batman, since it's really only bad by comparison. There's nothing there that surprised me quite like the end of The Lego Movie did. Honestly, the fact that the movie doesn't take 10 minutes out to talk to adults probably makes it a way better movie for kids. And a worse movie for people who paid money to post about cartoons on a stupid dying internet forum.

There's also a weird dangling plot hook. Bats has a crush on Barbara that comes up...twice? Three times? And nothing ever comes of it. They play music when he crushes on her, but that's all. Either something got cut or its just a joke that didn't land with me at all.

The movie inverts the Lego Movie's tour of heroes in a very cute fashion. British robots were pretty intimidating.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Feb 5, 2017

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I doubt anything got cut or that it was meant to be a joke that just didn't land. Batman obviously had feelings for Barbara, who was the "mother" figure in the family dynamic that the film was setting up (which is slightly weird considering Dick and Barbara sometimes date in the mythos), but she just saw him as the selfish, egotistical jerk he was until the end of the film so the relationship couldn't go anywhere until he got over himself. Their relationship didn't resolve, but if there's a Lego Batman 2 it'll probably happen then. It's just an unrequited thing on his end for this one though.

Edit: I loved the audio in this. There were some fun songs, especially Dick's song in the credits where everyone is jazzing out, hearing someone go "pew, pew, pew" every time they shot something or "beep, boop, beep" any time they were scanning or whatever was fun and the simplistic sound effects on some of the moments, like the little "click" when the plates finally came together because of everyone's ab crunching in the finale or the "thud" when Bruce/Batman tries to go in to the Phantom Zone and hits a ceiling were unexpected given the relative complexity and verisimilitude of other elements and so landed brilliantly the few times they used them.

There were some great jokes too, like all the physical sound effects when Batman and Robin were beating everyone up together, Alfred's two costumes (and his "I miss the 60's comment for one), and all the Justice League just getting really weirded out that Batman showed up for the party they've been holding for years without him and complete obliviousness when he leaves.
The film doesn't say anything that the comics are cartoons haven't said a dozen or more times before, but it does it with such verve and has so much fun with it that I don't even care.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 5, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I hope they do a Lego Bartman movie

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

please don't post Lego bart

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

PenguinKnight posted:

please don't post Lego bart

I don't know what that is.

Hey, Annie Awards happened:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/complete-list-of-2017-winners-148292.html

Zootopia won big! Link is possibly nsfw for half naked glittertigers (depends where you work I guess :grin:)

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

Hedrigall posted:

it's a joke on small bart

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=2341

:regd13:

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

I have more dollars than sense

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Hey, Annie Awards happened:
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/awards/complete-list-of-2017-winners-148292.html

Zootopia won big! Link is possibly nsfw for half naked glittertigers (depends where you work I guess :grin:)

Benson Shum did the best animation reel for Zootopia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70Uyg0jnsQ

http://www.iamag.co/features/zootopia-reel-by-benson-shum/ Here's the full video.

Hedrigall posted:

I have more dollars than sense

The weird part is sticking your feet inside of a cartoon lion that has been skinned into shoes.

I've always had a problem with that kind of merchandise. :( Though I think I had a Cookie Monster pair as a kid.

I also have a Cookie Monster t-shirt on right now.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I had Emily slippers.

Evidently a grave insult to my dogs.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

ThermoPhysical posted:

Benson Shum did the best animation reel for Zootopia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F70Uyg0jnsQ

Thanks, now I can never watch another youtube video ever again because this will be on repeat forever :mad:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Hedrigall posted:

Thanks, now I can never watch another youtube video ever again because this will be on repeat forever :mad:

Dude after I searched for it on YouTube and posted it here, I watched it like six times then went to Google Play Music to listen to the full song twice.

I need help, I think. I just watched it again.

Also I just remembered I have two pairs of LARGE slippers. A pair of tigers and a pair of St. Bernards that you stick your feet into the mouths. So comfy.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
I would just like to leave this Samurai Jack trailer here because it's concept art animated. :syoon:

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Das Boo posted:

I would just like to leave this Samurai Jack trailer here because it's concept art animated. :syoon:

Uh, that's not concept art, that's just Samurai Jack

Looking excellent

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Nah, I just mean I'm impressed with the lack of compromise in the transference from concept to execution. Only other example I can really think of is Book of Life, which I did not enjoy. :(

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Looks like they went back; back to the past.

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

Samurai Jack with actual blood feels... weird. And is it just me, or is there a lot more camera movement than in the original? Could just be that it's the first trailer dropped, but eh.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I never watched Samurai Jack growing up. I was a Nick kid.

I laughed when he pulled out a machine gun :D

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hedrigall posted:

I never watched Samurai Jack growing up. I was a Nick kid.

I watched it as a bored undergrad. There are one or two episodes that are really painfully awful and a product of the nineties, but most of it is above average to great and it actually gets better as it goes and they start playing around with more experimental stuff, with this episode being a particular high point.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Feb 7, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm sick at home today so I'm watching Emperor's New Groove, to be followed up by The Sweatbox, and drawing :3:

As great as this movie is and always will be, David Spade is just not a good voice actor

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Watching a Lewis Black interview on The Late Show and... wait, Lewis Black is in Rock Dog?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Das Boo posted:

Holy loving poo poo they used Carpenter Brut as the music :stare:

please God let this mean Samurai Jack S5 has synthwave music

Crazy Ferret
May 11, 2007

Welp

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Holy loving poo poo they used Carpenter Brut as the music :stare:

please God let this mean Samurai Jack S5 has synthwave music

The music really sold me on the trailer.

I loved Samurai Jack when it was really trying to be something different, like that excellent Shinobi episode that was posted earlier. When Jack decided to go experimental or just straight up odd, the entire show really shined, even the goofy stuff like "Jack turns into a chicken" episode.

I'm pretty hyped about the return.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Its been years since I've watched Samurai Jack, but one moment that always stuck with me is when he first drops into Aku's Future and gets shot at by some cops. And there's this moment where a bullet grazes his cheek and he has to spend several seconds trying to figure out what the gently caress are bullets.

It makes the fact he has a machine gun even STRONGER to me.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Samurai Jack ruled, it was a shining light of quality in that awkward period of transition between classic 90s Cartoon Cartoons and the later-00s Chowder/Adventure Time/Regular Show when everything was cheap Flash crap or anime. There were a few really bad episodes but when it was good it was really good, even with them having to make everyone be robots that bled oil in the name of S&P.

And the episode of Duck Dodgers making fun of it was pretty good too.

Crazy Ferret posted:

The music really sold me on the trailer.

I loved Samurai Jack when it was really trying to be something different, like that excellent Shinobi episode that was posted earlier. When Jack decided to go experimental or just straight up odd, the entire show really shined, even the goofy stuff like "Jack turns into a chicken" episode.

I'm pretty hyped about the return.

I always liked the Jack and the Gangsters episode, it was doing Electro Swing before that was even a thing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Me watching The Sweatbox: :aaa:

Me when Eartha Kitt/Yzma's villain song came on: :aaaaa:

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

Hedrigall posted:

You are correct.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

It's SO good right? I wish they'd kept it in, even if they had to tweak it a bit to fit the new story. It's up there with some of the best of the Renaissance.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Trolls is out on home video now, and it is a good movie :colbert:.

e: Also the visual design is incredibly cool and would be watching for that alone.

Pick fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Feb 8, 2017

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

This was in Amazon Prime's video section and not familer with it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4dkIMhXdIE

Anyone have any idea if it's good or not? Sister and I tend to find some great gems though services like this, Cat in Paris for instance but can't make heads or tails of this

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Hey, speaking of that Samurai Jack trailer: https://youtu.be/gTS7Cen63iM

Also, just got home from seeing Ghost In The Shell in the theater. Probably the third time seeing it, but being held captive in a theater with all of my attention in the subtitles was like seeing a new movie. Picked up on a lot I've missed before.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The felt and scrapbook aesthetic permeating Trolls was great but the film had too much singing and dancing for me and by the end I was ready to enslave and eat them.

I went as King Haggard for Halloween once so take that into account.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

The felt and scrapbook aesthetic permeating Trolls was great but the film had too much singing and dancing for me and by the end I was ready to enslave and eat them.

The film itself has an incredibly weird vibe. I hate to corrupt this place of high art with the vulgarity of memes, but it's basically this proposal:

The moment that cinched it for me is when Branch tells her that Creek is dead, and she says, "I don't think he's alive, I hope he's alive."

Especially since by the time she says, "I don't think he's alive--" your brain has already filled in yawnmaster autocomplete "I ~know~ he is" and it's like, nope, that is not Poppy's deal at all. She is entirely cognizant of the world being a senseless void, but it's all about assigning a positive spin to it. Her proposal seems to be "Let's be good and have fun until we die!"

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I'd say that's closer to existentialism, where "created" meaning is valid enough since there's no inherent meaning.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

I'd say that's closer to existentialism, where "created" meaning is valid enough since there's no inherent meaning.

Yes I'd agree, but then I'd have to go in there and edit that meme.

Finding Nemo has the world turn out to be a lot friendlier than Nemo's dad initially suggested; that is not the case for Trolls. Everything we see of the outside world makes it clear that it is dangerous and absurd and that the trolls themselves have very little control over it. Poppy never suggests that the outside world is good, only that she chooses to have a good attitude about its oppressive senselessness.

Among other things, the trolls have no magical powers aside from the manipulation of their hair. Other, much much larger animals are genuinely trying to murder the poo poo out of them constantly, and the Bergens do indeed feel a rush of ecstasy when they eat trolls alive. Again, it's a very unusual approach.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Basically, troll culture is like BYOB.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pick posted:

Finding Nemo has the world turn out to be a lot friendlier than Nemo's dad initially suggested; that is not the case for Trolls. Everything we see of the outside world makes it clear that it is dangerous and absurd and that the trolls themselves have very little control over it. Poppy never suggests that the outside world is good, only that she chooses to have a good attitude about its oppressive senselessness.

Among other things, the trolls have no magical powers aside from the manipulation of their hair. Other, much much larger animals are genuinely trying to murder the poo poo out of them constantly, and the Bergens do indeed feel a rush of ecstasy when they eat trolls alive. Again, it's a very unusual approach.

okay you've sold me on Trolls, I'll watch it as soon as possible

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Pick posted:

Yeah, the moral of Trolls isn't "You should be happy because the world is basically a good place" but rather "The world is a cruel and terrifying place, there are many valid reasons for you to feel miserable, but having a good attitude can give you the strength to change things for the better." Poppy's positive worldview is only proven true because she makes it true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
woah poppy