Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

chitoryu12 posted:

If I remember correctly, wasn't the PT Cruiser a pretty average and inoffensive car despite its unusual appearance and that's why it's everywhere?

They're around everywhere for one reason:

extremely low wheelbase

Basically they are really easy cars to get in and out of, that means they were sold to and bought by primarily elderly people and people on the end of middle aged. Those kind of people take care of cars but by now many of them are dead or can no longer drive and so now those cars are in the hands of their kids or more likely their kids teenage children. Also it doesn't help that the PT Cruiser has really wide windows so it's easy to see out of.

It's the same reason the Scion XB sold so well to the same demographic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
This was a big argument somewhere in AI about the merits of the vehicle, but the PT Cruiser won awards for its design when it was launched. It's weird to think of now, but it was a thing that happened. Near the end of its production run, it also won awards for lovely design because they were so proud of tarting up a Neon, they didn't change a drat thing for nearly a decade. It was a very Chrysler move

Since it is just a Neon, it was incredibly cheap to produce and since it's technically a "light truck", it has more loose EPA requirements, so Chrysler made an absolute shitload of these award winning cars.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh
the PT Cruiser design document, yellowed with age and shoved in a forgotten drawer in an abandoned Detroit office building, all just a single sheet of paper with the word MOMS repeatedly circled and underlined

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Moe_Rahn posted:

the PT Cruiser design document, yellowed with age and shoved in a forgotten drawer in an abandoned Detroit office building, all just a single sheet of paper with the word MOMS repeatedly circled and underlined

lol no, the PT Cruiser’s design document is better reading than the Pepsi rebranding document

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

Haifisch posted:

Imagine being the poor intern who had to type that while pretending they're not dying inside.

How the gently caress can they have the balls to claim to have more capacity on their service, when they are trying their damndest to make people believe that data caps are perfectly fine?

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

Schubalts posted:

How the gently caress can they have the balls to claim to have more capacity on their service, when they are trying their damndest to make people believe that data caps are perfectly fine?

Yeah, I feel the same way when they're like "most people use less than 5gb". Then why is unlimited such a burden?

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I use 5gb in a day.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Boywhiz88 posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way when they're like "most people use less than 5gb". Then why is unlimited such a burden?

It's bizzare watching the goalposts for mobile advertising shift lately, like Sprint saying yeah their service is just a little bit crappier.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

RagnarokAngel posted:

It's bizzare watching the goalposts for mobile advertising shift lately, like Sprint saying yeah their service is just a little bit crappier.

Because they're trying desperately to make people think network reliability is the same thing as network coverage.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Schubalts posted:

They have more capacity. They never said you could have it :colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Moe_Rahn posted:

My mom loves the look of the PT Cruiser, and thinks it looks like a 'mobster car'. Even disregarding that, I would still totally describe it as what a suburban mom thinks a mobster would drive.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

BioEnchanted posted:

They have more capacity. They never said you could have it :colbert:

They always find a loophole. :argh:

RagnarokAngel posted:

And then there's T-Mobile, who Verizon tried to call out in that lovely tweet, who give all of their plans unlimited data and make sure it's prominently advertised. Even my 5 years old, $30 plan has unlimited data from them.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Someone asked about David Rees's clipart comics in another thread, which reminded me of the time Jamba Juice ran an ad campaign that ripped him off completely (1), (2), (3).

quote:

Whoever made this ad is probably a 22 year-old “creative” at some ad agency in Tech Valley, CA. Way to think outside the box, sonny. Have fun snorting cocaine at the nightclub you go to with your friends who work at Twitter or wherever. And no, Adult Swim will NOT buy your stupid cartoon you’re developing with your housemates about four guys who work at an ad agency but are secretly lobsters.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I mean, snorting cocaine and going to nightclubs sounds like a lot more fun than drawing a webcomic.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

bongwizzard posted:

I mean, snorting cocaine and going to nightclubs sounds like a lot more fun than copy/pasting a webcomic from clip art.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Schubalts posted:

They always find a loophole. :argh:

And then there's T-Mobile, who Verizon tried to call out in that lovely tweet, who give all of their plans unlimited data and make sure it's prominently advertised. Even my 5 years old, $30 plan has unlimited data from them.

Yeah but don't they force lower quality video and music streams?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Zero One posted:

Yeah, they have a cap. After which you get throttled. I mean it's a step up from the norm, and hilarious that's what Verizon is going after.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

T-Mobile plans have a data soft cap where after you hit that cap (also just a few gigabytes a month) they put you on data that is basically unusable outside of taking 30-60 seconds to download a page of text. That's how they get to say they have unlimited data.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Zero One posted:

Video quality is SD, which is usually fine for a mobile phone. I think you can opt out and use HD streaming which would go against your quotas. As for music...can you force crappier music streams? I use it with Spotify and it sounds the same whether I'm on WiFi or cellular.

The free streaming is just a way to backdoor everyone into what is essentially an unlimited plan. They've probably got direct pipes to the media providers so they're not paying for backbone bandwidth.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Skaw posted:

Yeah, they have a cap. After which you get throttled. I mean it's a step up from the norm, and hilarious that's what Verizon is going after.
It is the norm now. Verizon (and I'm pretty sure ATT) now has the same throttling. Verizon calls it "safety mode", available as a toggle on all their current plans.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

It is the norm now. Verizon (and I'm pretty sure ATT) now has the same throttling. Verizon calls it "safety mode", available as a toggle on all their current plans.

It's even free now, it cost $5 a month for like a single month after it came out.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
I'm on Google Fi and everyone talking about these cell phone plans makes me sad.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004

Turtlicious posted:

This reads like Red-Pill pseudo psych.

I can't speak to the pseudo-psych part because I don't know a lot about psychology and I honestly don't know what would be "pseudo psych" since psych in general is a relatively subjective soft science as far as I understand it, but I don't think this or any of the tlp articles are really trying to make any redpill points. I can understand that invoking "beta male" is a prominent talking point in a lot of those articles and all that, but this article isn't so much an indictment of that and a "wow guys are pussies now what happened to men being MEN" and more of a critique of how the new view of masuclinity that resonates with some demographic is a lot different than what it used to be and how the tone of advertising has shifted accordingly. It's less "ugh what happened to men" and more "young people of this marketable generation have this new idea of what a Real Man is and the fact that advertisers are modeling their ads as such shows how these ads are less about the intrinsic properties of the actual product and more about how this product fits into what this demographic wants to be".

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!

KakerMix posted:

I'm on Google Fi and everyone talking about these cell phone plans makes me sad.

I'm looking at this and it seems too good to be true. Do you like it? I am seriously considering switching over right away.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

Boofchicken posted:

I'm looking at this and it seems too good to be true. Do you like it? I am seriously considering switching over right away.

I have it and I love it. The phone is great and Google does not skimp on their service. When I had an issue with my GPS, their 24/7 tech support helped me, and then said they would send me a new phone, but not to return my phone until the new one was verified okay.

I need to get my mom on this plan.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Schubalts posted:

On top of that, I ride the busiest rail line in the US and Verizon has several big dead spots on the way into NYC and so many people are using it on any given peak hour train that I sometimes can't even get phone calls to connect.

Krispy Kareem posted:

There's a place north of me where they'd run real live "what will nuclear radiation due to living things" in the forest.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/georgia-nuclear-aircraft-laboratory

An unshielded and exposed reactor is totally not as cool as a mushroom cloud though.
I did a big effortpost on this a while ago that gives more info than the AO blurb.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3631148&userid=72565#post429202978

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I'd switch to Google in a heartbeat but I have family that live in rural/country areas, and it seems like Google's coverage mostly covers bigger cities and along major highways. I'd like to be able to get service when visiting farther flung folks. My brother users it and loves it, but he's always in his city.

Rat Patrol has a new favorite as of 15:05 on Feb 9, 2017

Melondog
Oct 9, 2006

:yeshaha:

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have it and I love it. The phone is great and Google does not skimp on their service. When I had an issue with my GPS, their 24/7 tech support helped me, and then said they would send me a new phone, but not to return my phone until the new one was verified okay.

I need to get my mom on this plan.

Another Fi user chiming in, I'm reasonably certain they're piggybacking off Sprint's network as far as coverage areas are concerned. Happy with it though, been over a year now.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

They use Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular for coverage.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Boofchicken posted:

To echo the others that have already responded we went from a Verizon unlimited plan with two lines (the OG one that they desperately wanted people to stop using) and went from $210 a month to Google Fi which usually is around 60 bucks a month and we've had no perceived change in service. Plus when my wife went to Spain with her mother a few months ago she could just simply use her Google Fi phone as it automatically switched over and went 'hey you're in Spain here is how much it will cost'. The best part about Fi is being able to manage the plan from within the phone, and knowing that no matter how much you use it will never be more than 10 bucks a gig.

Google Fi feels like how cell service should be.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Look at you guys with your living in real places. Verizon is the only one that comes in reliably where I live. :smith:

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Moe_Rahn posted:

My first car was a purple PT cruiser with wood panel siding that my grandpa bought two months before being diagnosed with dementia.

I loving hated that car so drat much but it was basically free...

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Meanwhile in Finland, actually unlimited data is like 30bux per phone

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

They use Sprint, T-Mobile and US Cellular for coverage.

Don't forget wifi calling

I use Fi too and it's pretty sweet- though it still sometimes sucks at switching to the best carrier depending on where I am, but I was able to get around this by using the FiSwitch app to do it manually if I need to. One other thing that surprised me is that my wifi-only Android tablet also started receiving calls after I signed up.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Rough Lobster posted:

My first car was a purple PT cruiser with wood panel siding that my grandpa bought two months before being diagnosed with dementia.

I loving hated that car so drat much but it was basically free...

... oh my.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Was any car from the 90's good looking?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Krispy Kareem posted:

3000 GT.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cage posted:

3000 GT.

Yup, that and the NSX:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Them's fightin words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Celica GT-4