Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Waltzing Along posted:

Casey Hudson is.

Anyone in disagreement that PB is his baby?
I am, because Hudson left after the ME3 debacle. Walters is still around though.

AriadneThread posted:

this is a classic bioware issue
They looked pretty normal in DAI. Also both the Ryders have :stare: going on and I couldn't pinpoint what was causing it. Then on some of the face closeups it looks like they don't have eyelashes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

marshmallow creep posted:

I imagine asari sex is more like wearing the rings from Demolition Man.

You can only have sex with an Asari if you know how to use the three seashells.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Jet Jaguar posted:

Why did they give him the arm proportions of Popeye? Being in space must have shortened his femurs, too.

His arms are back, elbows are bent, and they're at a slight angle. You can see it at the other angles. The proportions are fine.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
No one else thought the arms were too long in mass effect 3?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The arms of the women when they were wearing dresses was really weird, I thought. The whole body model for dresses was weird, honestly.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

I thought the arms in Dragon Age Origins were worse in retrospect actually, but Anderson's running animation is the greatest tragedy of Mass Effect

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Poops Mcgoots posted:

Thanks, I will.

[citation needed]

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

JawKnee posted:

:lol: look at this loving poo poo, look at it hahahaha

enjoy ur preorders

The difference in quality compared to Shepard is pretty stark.

I guess I underestimated the impact of using an actual person as a model the first go round...

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

it looks a little more cartoony, to be sure
if everything in the game is like that, it won't look as out of place at least
not so sure about 'good' though

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Oblivious posted:

The difference in quality compared to Shepard is pretty stark.

I guess I underestimated the impact of using an actual person as a model the first go round...

Didn't they use an actual person for the Ryders, too?

It's not just the fact that Shepard was based on a hot male model, although that helps. Shepard has a very slick color scheme, charcoal and red, with a distinctive brand (N7) and markings (red stripe down one arm). It's one of the best things to come out of Mass Effect, really, the N7 sort of brand.

Ryder literally reads as inverted colors (white and blue) because I guess that's the easiest way of showing that this Isn't Your Dad's Mass Effect! but there's no interesting icons or artistic stuff on his armor. It is painfully generic.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
You used to have to unlock big head mode in games back in the day.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Bioware can be weird about arms. I remember that the best armor in DA2 suddenly gave your character super muscular arms for no reason.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

SubponticatePoster posted:

I am, because Hudson left after the ME3 debacle. Walters is still around though.

poo poo. I meant Walters. Whatever, they both suck.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Milky Moor posted:

It's not just the fact that Shepard was based on a hot male model, although that helps. Shepard has a very slick color scheme, charcoal and red, with a distinctive brand (N7) and markings (red stripe down one arm). It's one of the best things to come out of Mass Effect, really, the N7 sort of brand.

Ryder literally reads as inverted colors (white and blue) because I guess that's the easiest way of showing that this Isn't Your Dad's Mass Effect! but there's no interesting icons or artistic stuff on his armor. It is painfully generic.

I find it hard to believe but maybe? The Ryders both look like something produced by one of Biowares Create A Characters, the hair in particular.

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Captain Oblivious posted:

I find it hard to believe but maybe? The Ryders both look like something produced by one of Biowares Create A Characters, the hair in particular.

Ryder's models are Jayde Rossi and Steven Brewis

A quick google image search on them should show you that any issues with their appearance are, uh, on Biowares end

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Wait, they're based on real people? How did they gently caress up this badly?

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Milky Moor posted:

Yeah, Steven Bewis and Jayde Rossi. Scott has been looking alright and is pretty close in the game footage. On the other hand, Jayde is very good looking and it hasn't translated to Sara at all.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Crabtree posted:

Wait, they're based on real people? How did they gently caress up this badly?

I mean Miranda was extremely hosed up looking despite being based on a pretty actress lady so this isn't really new territory for bioware

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
Scott Ryder looks pretty much exactly like his model but I don't think anybody would have even known that Sara was also a scan of a real person if the model hadn't posted on her Instagram about it

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

I'm going to miss my sexy maleshep :(

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Scott Ryder looks pretty much exactly like his model but I don't think anybody would have even known that Sara was also a scan of a real person if the model hadn't posted on her Instagram about it

Having rewatched the trailer, I think it's in part just that one image.

But depending on the angle Dude Ryder's hair still looks kinda plastic-y.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
The head really is the big issue, and it looks like it impacted the torso size as a result. For some reason, it makes his legs look really short, but they seem okay?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Jesus he's a loving space hipster

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Milky Moor posted:

Blue isn't the inversion of red, that would be green.

White and green armour might look pretty good though.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Android Blues posted:

Blue isn't the inversion of red, that would be green.

White and green armour might look pretty good though.

Interesting! I guess I was just assuming that blue and red are opposites thanks to years of computer games rotting my brain.

White and green would definitely be a more interesting look than white and blue, IMO. White and blue feels generic.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Red inverted isn't green. Red, green and blue are all 120º from each other on your standard light-based (RGB) colour wheel.

Red inverted is cyan, which many would argue is more blue than green (although it's exactly between them)

Here's a bunch of world flags inverted:

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Feb 8, 2017

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Hedrigall posted:

Red inverted isn't green. Red, green and blue are all 120º from each other on your standard light-based (RGB) colour wheel.

The color wheel is a Reaper invention.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Codependent Poster posted:

The arms of the women when they were wearing dresses was really weird, I thought. The whole body model for dresses was weird, honestly.

From what I understand (terrible skeleton rigging issues aside) good cloth physics in games is not something most people care about so when it comes to long wizard robes or any kind of dress it always looks wrong.

Elder scrolls and similar games kind of get around it by rigging the skirts to the legs directly so you get that weird effect where technically they wear trousers that just look like a skirt/robes/dress when standing stationary but it all goes to poo poo once you move the character.
You might get a cape or some Nvidia branded hair physics but nothing much more complicated than that.

Also I think they just made Femshep re-use a ton of the rigging for Maleshep to save time/effort and it looked pretty hosed up in general.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

AriadneThread posted:

it looks a little more cartoony, to be sure
if everything in the game is like that, it won't look as out of place at least
not so sure about 'good' though

yeah it definitely has a bit of the DA:I art style. i think part of the issue is that it uses the frostbite engine and characters always look like that. look at battlefield one/the cop one/4/any thing with it.

JawKnee posted:

I'm going to miss my sexy maleshep :(

mine always looked like weird pale dude with lovely short brown hare with this weird looking aquiline nose. i was never good with custom characters. though my inquisitor looked good.

Enigmatic Cakelord posted:

Yeah, Steven Bewis and Jayde Rossi. Scott has been looking alright and is pretty close in the game footage. On the other hand, Jayde is very good looking and it hasn't translated to Sara at all.

yeah, it didnt translate well for her at all. they basically gave her model giant puppy dog eyes. she kinda looks more like

Milky Moor posted:

this. it feels like how a abrams star trek version of mass effect. everything looks "sharper" and appleish but with a seed or core of old. N7 is stylish, people (including sadbrains like me) wear the jack/hoodie. this doesn't have the same "ICONICNESS". hopefully i am wrong though.

Dapper_Swindler fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Feb 8, 2017

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

Red inverted is cyan, which many would argue is more blue than green (although it's exactly between them)

It depends which colour model you use. In RGB or CMYK it's cyan, in RYB it's green (and if you go to Munsell or whatever it's slightly different still). You're right though that RGB is more scientifically grounded and cyan is what you'd get if you inverted red in Photoshop so...my bad!

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.

Hedrigall posted:

Finally a game protagonist representing height challenged men everywhere! Kudos, Bioware.
6'1 vs 5'10

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'm excited to play a character who is not a freakish giant but is actually as tall (short) as I am.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Yeah I dunno how they messed up Sara so much. Must've hired the person who did Quiet in MGSV.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

a man that isn't a six foot colossus, truly bioware's slights know no end

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Looking at it again, Scott really looks like Cullen from Dragon Age Inquisition and Sara face looks fine when viewed from the side, it's when looking at it from the front I get some weird uncanny valley feelings.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Come on you can't post this and then not give us the character creator code for it

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I wonder how much of the weirdness comes from Bioware or the Frostbite engine, or if the made a bad character kit (like the lighting and angles make them look off)?

Like, Dragon Age Inquisition was made in Frostbite and I thought it looked fine, aside from Sera's greasy face and the Iron Bull's disproportionate head size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

SgtSteel91 posted:

I wonder how much of the weirdness comes from Bioware or the Frostbite engine, or if the made a bad character kit (like the lighting and angles make them look off)?

Like, Dragon Age Inquisition was made in Frostbite and I thought it looked fine, aside from Sera's greasy face and the Iron Bull's disproportionate head size.

How did no one stop while looking at the Iron Bull model before release and say "guys, what the gently caress are we even doing?"