Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

Craptacular! posted:

I can't stand listening to Jeff's lectures. I hope the server browser lets me play with anyone and everyone and allows for No-2CP map rotations.

But mostly letting me play with anyone. gently caress skill-based matchmaking in the ear.

You can customize just about every setting according to the new video. The number of options sounds ridiculously awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe
If server browser is an extention of custom game, do we not get exp from it? If so that sucks.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Jinh posted:

If server browser is an extention of custom game, do we not get exp from it? If so that sucks.

People will be able to get XP from custom games once the server browser goes live.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slime posted:

People will be able to get XP from custom games once the server browser goes live.

Ooh sweet thanks! Sorry, I haven't had time to watch the Jeff kaplan video yet

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I just watched a video on the bastion changes. He looks viable maybe?

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
Looking forward to 24/7 Lijiang Market CTF, the 2Fort days are back people!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Proposition Joe posted:

Looking forward to 24/7 Lijiang Market CTF, the 2Fort days are back people!

The control tower CTF map is better, since it a pretty fast pace map that tends to end pretty quickly.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

Rirse posted:

The control tower CTF map is better, since it a pretty fast pace map that tends to end pretty quickly.

CTF ending quickly is not something I associate with 2Fort.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I want a map that is 23v23.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Yeah now hopefully they'll add it the ability to create custom maps ala TF2/Blizzard RTSs and I can retire to playing Wintermaul TD Overwatch edition.

e: for anyone who didn't play old UMS games, here's what I'm talking about :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcOXwfmU4JI

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I want a map that is 23v23.

In order to keep things fair they should organize into multiple lanes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kashuno posted:

Holy poo poo a server browser

yessssss

i'm never playing 2CP again

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

finally, I can play hanamura 24/7 quick respawn no time limit like god intended

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
The big news is they finally got rid of the loving "Offense closes the gate on themselves after they break into the castle" on Eichenwalde, which was not only lovely, also made absolutely no sense, You have no idea how much that change pleases me.

Also excited for Bastion changes and D.Va defense matrix buff. (Because the example they give is saving a teammate from Roadhog, but no, no, what's finally going to happen is loving MEI won't be able to ult at her feet anymore and not have me eat it. I had no idea this was what was stopping me from eating the Mei ults that I was VERY CLEARLY putting in my defense matrix. Now I know. EAT THEM ULTS.)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Manatee Cannon posted:

finally, I can play hanamura 24/7

What kind of inhuman godless monster are you

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

What kind of inhuman godless monster are you

It's like going to train in the hyper-gravity chamber, so that when he emerges to play an actual good map he'll be unstoppable.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman
In the update, it says that Roadhog's Chain Hook is one of the things that can be blocked immediately by the Defense Matrix. Did they mean the Scrap Gun or is D.Va's Defense Matrix going to be able to stop you from hooking her in?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Heliotrope posted:

In the update, it says that Roadhog's Chain Hook is one of the things that can be blocked immediately by the Defense Matrix. Did they mean the Scrap Gun or is D.Va's Defense Matrix going to be able to stop you from hooking her in?

It's a mistake, D.Va can't matrix the hook.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Kai Tave posted:

It's a mistake, D.Va can't matrix the hook.

Shame, since getting hooked right now just nearly destorys DVA at the moment.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Is the server browser update going into the console versions too? If so, that's got to be a first for console first person shooters, right? I can't think of another game that has ever had that for any of them.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AndyElusive posted:

Is the server browser update going into the console versions too? If so, that's got to be a first for console first person shooters, right? I can't think of another game that has ever had that for any of them.

Battlefield has them, and I want to say FEAR 2 did.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Oh cool, well nevermind then. Here I thought Blizzard was doing something groundbreaking other than butts and lesbians.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

TF2 had them in The Orange Box collection. There were so many exploits that never got patched in console team fortress, low gravity servers were my favourite.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Heliotrope posted:

They're not talking about blocking the hook, they're talking about saving a teammate who's been hooked from the follow-up combo. You couldn't rescue someone from a point-blank shot like that before, and now you can.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
So are the lost islands gonna make a come back

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Thank you Jeff for explaining what a server browser is this is the first time I've played a video game

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Bumper Stickup posted:

I just watched a video on the bastion changes. He looks viable maybe?

I think once the patch goes live we might end up seeing a new Bastion meta where you run him as a lovely Soldier 76 until he gets his ult and then you nanoboost him so the other team has no choice but to run away or die.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
new mode for goon games: all tracer, no ammo, no cooldowns, pulse bombs only. capture the flag obviously.

e; finally got a chance to listen to the video and holy poo poo the options. Even weird things like payload speed I wouldn't have expected.

Kashuno fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Feb 8, 2017

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
So when does the PTR go live? I've tried a few times and it just fails to join the server like the PTR isn't turned on.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Opposing Farce posted:

I think once the patch goes live we might end up seeing a new Bastion meta where you run him as a lovely Soldier 76 until he gets his ult and then you nanoboost him so the other team has no choice but to run away or die.

Nah, New Bastion can feasible replace Soldier now depending on team comp. Soldier is a good all rounder but Bastion makes Reinshields dead and that's hugely important. Yeah Hog and Soldier can break the shield, but they're much slower and less efficient than Bastion.

I see this as good because Sombra, Junkrat, Pharah, Tracer and Genji become way more important in this meta to dive and get rid of the Bastion.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dr Cheeto posted:

Thank you Jeff for explaining what a server browser is this is the first time I've played a video game

There are plenty of kids that play this game that may not know what a server browser is.

Though why they'd be watching a video of Kaplan drone on for nine minutes is another matter.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
there are a lot of players that haven't seen a server browser because they have fallen out of popularity long ago. It's not really weird to think a majority of overwatch players have never seen a server browser.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

I've seen something like that in Counterstrike Beta (or 1.0?) and then I had some life in between so I guess I could use the recap. But everytime I try to listen to a 10-minute Kaplan video, I find myself doing something entirely different after a few minutes.

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Feb 8, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Bolivar posted:

I've seen something like that in Counterstrike Beta (or 1.0?) and then I had some life in between so I guess I could use the recap. But everytime I try to listen to a 10-minute Kaplan video, I find myself doing something entirely different after a few minutes.

Metzen was their only good public speaker. They really need to get themselves a new Metzen or a Reggie to do the talking for their games. I mean I get that it's a company full of big nerds but still. I do appreciate that they do these developer updates so often though, they are attempting to do this kind of thing with WoW with the dev Q&As but it's not really the same

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Those new custom game options are going to open up so many doors for content creators.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Odobenidae posted:

TF2 had them in The Orange Box collection. There were so many exploits that never got patched in console team fortress, low gravity servers were my favourite.

it wasn't just glitches like skywalking or w/e, people got into the dev console for tf2 on the 360 and could give themselves no clip and stuff. that's where the low grav thing came from

I remember someone trying to make a map too since they never got any of that stuff. the ps3 version of tf2 still had 6 pipes on the demoman's pipe launcher lol. tho that was an ea port so it never got any updates whatsoever

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Pope Corky the IX posted:

There are plenty of kids that play this game that may not know what a server browser is.

Though why they'd be watching a video of Kaplan drone on for nine minutes is another matter.

Watching people talk into a camera on YouTube is apparently one of the main things kids do.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Poopy Palpy posted:

Watching people talk into a camera on YouTube is apparently one of the main things kids do.

You're right. Friends of ours have a seven year old that loves watching British people talk about Minecraft on YouTube.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer
I look forward to this brave new bastion world. All I gotta do is learn genji and I'll play all the bots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005
Yeah, TF2 was one of those things Microsoft/Sony gave the finger to Valve over.

You know, back when they would charge the developer just to update their game on the console.