Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

A Silicon Graphics enthusiast got his hands on a bunch of old SGI workstations from Acclaim/Iguana Entertainment and has been slowly poring over them - he's still on one machine, as far as I know, but he's already unearthed lots of stuff including several pitch documents for various South Park games, their old motion capture software and most notably, the complete source code to the original Turok N64 game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONEy_ybKWsg

Here's an update from this dude: he pored over several more and founds lots of mocap/animation/CGI programs and assets as well as the source code for another game, NBA Jam Extreme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRqCU44XL24

He said he won't be releasing the contents of any of these drives online (he's a lawyer and doesn't think it's worth the risk) but he does seem to be listening to people about archiving it somehow and even if he doesn't, he'll be selling them on ebay so hopefully someone will buy them and properly archive these things themselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Erluk posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-An...9oAAOSwYmZXKkM1

I guess sometimes you got to show off your ebay items yourself?

edit: ha ha what the hell?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mexomorph/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

There are at least three sellers doing this now. I actually bought a lot of parts/repair NES stuff from one called Striker or Strikeforce or something and can report the transaction as unremarkable.

Hmmm, maybe I could drum up sales by flashing a little dick neck.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

RodShaft posted:

None of theirs seems to match this design. Not saying you're wrong. I'm just gonna caulk it up to some crazy company making a few things and folding before the internet was big enough to remember them. Maybe I'll send it to one of the Dreamcast YouTube channels.

Anyway here's the only markings on the box that could be close to a serial number... there's also a up, but google didn't have it.

Which is weird because mine is orange, like the picture on the box, but unlike any of the options.

What lead me to believe this is that I found this box on a wiki and the wheel looks very similar, in a different color.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Elliotw2 posted:

What lead me to believe this is that I found this box on a wiki and the wheel looks very similar, in a different color.

That is identical except the screen print and the color. Good find. My google fu must be off today.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

oh good I have always wanted "MEGA VIBRATION WHEEL"

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Code Jockey posted:

So speaking of amazing games, come to find out a friend of mine is now playing Symphony of the Night for the first time. I envy him, I wish I could be experiencing that for the first time again, what an amazing game.

He just found the Bat spell and killed Richter. He said it didn't feel like a very good ending, I told him, maaaan you have so much more to go before the real ending... as far as I know he's going into it totally blind. Should be fun when he thinks he's done, and he's only really halfway there. :v:

How lucky he is to finally know what a man is.

I remember the first time I played SotN, I worked out how to get the real ending pretty easily. It helped that they didn't really bury it, of course. If you explore thoroughly then you'll find the rings and even if you don't look at item descriptions then it's obvious that there's something at the clock.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Speaking of Dreamcast, Beharius has a new VGA box out, the Akura. Outputs to HDMI at 480p.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

d0s posted:

oh good I have always wanted "MEGA VIBRATION WHEEL"

Too Bad! There's none on eBay, and I'm keeping mine!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Erluk posted:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mega-Man-An...9oAAOSwYmZXKkM1

I guess sometimes you got to show off your ebay items yourself?

edit: ha ha what the hell?
http://www.ebay.com/sch/mexomorph/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=

Quiet Feet posted:

There are at least three sellers doing this now. I actually bought a lot of parts/repair NES stuff from one called Striker or Strikeforce or something and can report the transaction as unremarkable.

Hmmm, maybe I could drum up sales by flashing a little dick neck.

I can't remember but was it in this thread that someone posted eBay listings of retro games that had a woman holding the product just under her cleavage?

Kramdar
Jun 21, 2005

Radmark says....Worship Kramdar

Wamdoodle posted:

I can't remember but was it in this thread that someone posted eBay listings of retro games that had a woman holding the product just under her cleavage?

Ah, I just saw this listing last night and eBay asked if I was still interested today! And the seller is strykeforce.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nintendo-64-N64-Goldeneye-007-James-Bond-Video-Game-Cartridge-/262812360194

Not that it isn't the first time I've seen a listing like this over the years.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010

mariooncrack posted:

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for shooters for SNES.

These are the games I think I've played: Gradius 3, Super RType, RType 3, Axelay, Darius Twin

Am I missing any other obvious ones?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZBEsBANEhU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My estranged grandfather passed away a couple weeks before Christmas and my uncle found these while going through his belongings. It's all in great shape with most of the pamphlets. I have no idea why he had them, but I'll take good care of them. :unsmith:

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
Nice. Sports pads are surprisingly not common. Get Astro Warrior and play it with it, it's good times.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mariooncrack posted:

I was wondering if anyone had recommendations for shooters for SNES.

These are the games I think I've played: Gradius 3, Super RType, RType 3, Axelay, Darius Twin

Am I missing any other obvious ones?

Every single game everyone has suggested so far is really good so check them all out. I would also however take a look at Super Nova (this is Darius Force in Japan) and BioMetal. BioMetal is an Athena shmup and most of their SNES stuff sucks (don't bother with Strike Gunner S.T.G., another one I'd avoid at all costs is Spriggan Powered, made by Micronics who also made The Curse on the Genesis which many will say is the absolute worst most horrible shmup on that system) but these guys did Daioh so they absolutely know what's up. This one has the same name all over the world but the western release features a soundtrack of 2Unlimited tracks instead of the original, which is kind of dumb since BioMetal already had a pretty badass shmup soundtrack. Every track has a great beat, at the same time I can see why they thought 2Unlimited was a good western analogue to it and it's not particularly awful, just, definitely music you were already sick of hearing everywhere even when the game was new.. With Super Nova they realized making the Silver Hawk bigger and bigger with each successive game was dumb.

Another one I like that I don't think I saw mentioned is Super E.D.F.: Earth Defense Force, possibly Jaleco's best shmup? They pumped out so many mediocre ones in a short period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjTATa8JKIQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQB2StMeFsA

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 8, 2017

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tape a genesis to the top of your snes and player trouble shooter instead.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
then tape a wii on top and play gradius and contra rebirth

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Tape a genesis to the top of your snes and player trouble shooter instead.

This and its sequel are two of my favorite shooters ever, the presentation is just too good.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Finally managed to order a mini NES from bestbuy today. Jesus that took much too long.

My wife has been bugging me about it since she first read about it.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

At what age does finding somebody's video games go from "oh, here are his video games" to "I wonder why he had this"

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

azurite posted:

My estranged grandfather passed away a couple weeks before Christmas and my uncle found these while going through his belongings. It's all in great shape with most of the pamphlets. I have no idea why he had them, but I'll take good care of them. :unsmith:

First, sorry for you loss.

Ghostbusters is fun. It's a bit like the NES version but a lot less soul-crushing.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

shyduck posted:

First, sorry for you loss.

Ghostbusters is fun. It's a bit like the NES version but a lot less soul-crushing.

Does it still have the amazing ending title card?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Neo Rasa posted:

Every single game everyone has suggested so far is really good so check them all out. I would also however take a look at Super Nova (this is Darius Force in Japan) and BioMetal. BioMetal is an Athena shmup and most of their SNES stuff sucks (don't bother with Strike Gunner S.T.G., another one I'd avoid at all costs is Spriggan Powered, made by Micronics who also made The Curse on the Genesis which many will say is the absolute worst most horrible shmup on that system) but these guys did Daioh so they absolutely know what's up. This one has the same name all over the world but the western release features a soundtrack of 2Unlimited tracks instead of the original, which is kind of dumb since BioMetal already had a pretty badass shmup soundtrack. Every track has a great beat, at the same time I can see why they thought 2Unlimited was a good western analogue to it and it's not particularly awful, just, definitely music you were already sick of hearing everywhere even when the game was new.. With Super Nova they realized making the Silver Hawk bigger and bigger with each successive game was dumb.

Another one I like that I don't think I saw mentioned is Super E.D.F.: Earth Defense Force, possibly Jaleco's best shmup? They pumped out so many mediocre ones in a short period.

Biometal's a game genre enthusiasts buzz about but I've never really been that into it - I'm glad there's an aggressive hori on SNES that doesn't immediately poo poo the bed like all the others but it still flickers like crazy and your option shield doohickey lasts way too long for risk-reward to really come into play. (The US version's cheaper but it worth paying the extra $400 or whatever to rid yourself of that goddamn Space Jam music.)

Most of Jaleco's output was outsourced, particularly when it came to shmups; the rule of thumb is "cute and easy games = Jaleco, hardcore games = NMK" but EDF was a Jaleco-made game though and through. I don't think it's as interesting as the games NMK were making by the end and I don't rate the SNES port (the music's not as good and that's all it'll take to turn me off) but it's a decent enough game.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Neo Rasa posted:

The coolest thing about that neck snap is that there's a mission where you're specifically told not to kill anyone because they're cops on your side technically and you have to sneak out of a shopping mall................but you can still use the neck snap on everyone and it doesn't count as killing them. :laffo:

I just did that mission. Clearly Jack Wade was stopping to administer a quick chiropractic maneuver to help those nice ACN officers :colbert:.

Also I have words I'd like to share with whoever designed the timed section, driving between six locations to disarm bomb triggers. Possibly a large stick as well.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

speaking of NMK, got this cart weeks ago but totally forgot to post about it, which is required when you get some big tymer neo geo poo poo

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Code Jockey posted:

nooooo :argh:

So speaking of amazing games, come to find out a friend of mine is now playing Symphony of the Night for the first time. I envy him, I wish I could be experiencing that for the first time again, what an amazing game.

He just found the Bat spell and killed Richter. He said it didn't feel like a very good ending, I told him, maaaan you have so much more to go before the real ending... as far as I know he's going into it totally blind. Should be fun when he thinks he's done, and he's only really halfway there. :v:

:allears: man that takes me back 20 years

:negative:

Monitor Burn
Nov 29, 2001
No clever to be found here

Did anyone ever get those Sega CD patches to work? I tried like 5 different versions of Popful Mail and Lunar Eternal Blue, including the "DarkWater" version and the one from the previously mentioned tropical website, but xdelta gives me the "xdelta3: not a VCDIFF input: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error message every time.

Here's the process I'm using to install the patch, let me know if I've missed something:

1: Copy bchunk.exe to the same directory as the Sega CD bin/cue files, run via command line using -w to convert it to an .iso file and 3x .wav files without changing the filenames (The DW release comes in .ecm format, so you have to run unecm.exe to convert it to .bin first)

2: Run xdelta, enter in the Unworkingdesigns patch, the created .iso file, and set the output filename to Popfulmailunworked.iso

3: Get "xdelta3: not a VCDIFF input: XD3_INVALID_INPUT"

Also since the MD5 check is useless as the patch notes are from an earlier version, how do I know if I even have the right image to patch?

pairofdimes
May 20, 2001

blehhh

Monitor Burn posted:

Did anyone ever get those Sega CD patches to work? I tried like 5 different versions of Popful Mail and Lunar Eternal Blue, including the "DarkWater" version and the one from the previously mentioned tropical website, but xdelta gives me the "xdelta3: not a VCDIFF input: XD3_INVALID_INPUT" error message every time.

Here's the process I'm using to install the patch, let me know if I've missed something:

1: Copy bchunk.exe to the same directory as the Sega CD bin/cue files, run via command line using -w to convert it to an .iso file and 3x .wav files without changing the filenames (The DW release comes in .ecm format, so you have to run unecm.exe to convert it to .bin first)

2: Run xdelta, enter in the Unworkingdesigns patch, the created .iso file, and set the output filename to Popfulmailunworked.iso

Also since the MD5 check is useless as the patch notes are from an earlier version, how do I know if I even have the right image to patch?

I haven't tried them, but that error message sounds like a problem with the patch input rather than the game data. Can you check that the patch file is not corrupted?

Kthulhu5000
Jul 25, 2006

by R. Guyovich

d0s posted:

speaking of NMK, got this cart weeks ago but totally forgot to post about it, which is required when you get some big tymer neo geo poo poo

I have no clue what the VFD (?) numbers on that connector slot between your MVS and JAMMA harness mean, but they somehow please me nonetheless.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kthulhu5000 posted:

I have no clue what the VFD (?) numbers on that connector slot between your MVS and JAMMA harness mean, but they somehow please me nonetheless.

They're voltage displays, JAMMA boards need +5V and +12V (and sometimes -5V in addition to those) to run properly. The +5V is the important one that runs most of the critical components and different boards draw more or less power so arcade PSUs have a potentiometer to adjust the +5V line so whatever board is getting exactly 5 volts. The display is just to make sure the power is set right without using a multimeter, it's an adapter that goes between the harness connector and the board. It's actually redundant in my setup because the RECO rapid fire PCB I'm using has a +5V display too, but that PCB is also oddly shaped with the connectors at a 90 degree angle from each other (which is why you see the harness coming up from the top), and I'm just using the voltmeter adapter as an extension to make it easier to plug boards in.

e: pic from a different angle:

d0s fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Feb 8, 2017

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

d0s posted:

They're voltage displays, JAMMA boards need +5V and +12V (and sometimes -5V in addition to those) to run properly. The +5V is the important one that runs most of the critical components and different boards draw more or less power so arcade PSUs have a potentiometer to adjust the +5V line so whatever board is getting exactly 5 volts. The display is just to make sure the power is set right without using a multimeter, it's an adapter that goes between the harness connector and the board. It's actually redundant in my setup because the RECO rapid fire PCB I'm using has a +5V display too, but that PCB is also oddly shaped with the connectors at a 90 degree angle from each other (which is why you see the harness coming up from the top), and I'm just using the voltmeter adapter as an extension to make it easier to plug boards in.

e: pic from a different angle:

You know it's kinda funny how much better good photography can make everything. I've said it before, but I'm absolutely gutted I can't share the picture quality I get from my PVM with my cellphone (or in fact even my entry level SLR). You took a picture of a jamma board and some cables and it's glorious.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

Monitor Burn posted:

Redownload the patch, the very first version only worked with an ancient version of xdelta.

You'll know you have the correct version if the zip files include bchunk, xdelta3, and a pair of bat files to automate patching.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 8, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

d0s posted:

At what age does finding somebody's video games go from "oh, here are his video games" to "I wonder why he had this"

I think it's less the age of the person and more the era they grew up in. For 80's kids and later, when their grandchildren find their NES in 2090, it will be probably pretty normal.

MESSAGE FOR MY FUTURE GRANDCHILDREN: Don't touch my NES. Bury me with it.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

d0s posted:

Hey buddy. Found this dirty rear end Pulstar in Japan surprisingly. Wasn't cheap but was way way cheaper than they have been going for.

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Feb 8, 2017

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

MarcusSA posted:

Finally managed to order a mini NES from bestbuy today. Jesus that took much too long.

My wife has been bugging me about it since she first read about it.

On the plus side there is a really quick and easy way to add all the missing NES games to it through the microUSB cable.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think it's less the age of the person and more the era they grew up in. For 80's kids and later, when their grandchildren find their NES in 2090, it will be probably pretty normal.

MESSAGE FOR MY FUTURE GRANDCHILDREN: Don't touch my NES. Bury me with it.

https://www.burymewithmymoney.com but pretend he says NES instead.

Bonobos
Jan 26, 2004

BexGu posted:

On the plus side there is a really quick and easy way to add all the missing NES games to it through the microUSB cable.

Do you have a link for this?

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
Yeah, Nail Rat has done this about twice now in the Nintendo Classic Mini thread and didn't have any problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9aCrSRzJAc

I was looking up this guy to work on some RetroPie stuff and ended up noticing his walk-through. Did a good job on breaking it down on to do the process to transfer stuff to the Classic Mini. Also amazed at some of the free tools people end up making that make stuff like this easy as possible. I would suggest cutting it down to the top 50 or so since the menus get a little weird with the full 700 games set.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

d0s posted:

Not so much his age, we just never pegged him as a video game guy. The stuff looks barely used at all, so maybe he gave it a go and never went back to it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

azurite posted:

Not so much his age, we just never pegged him as a video game guy. The stuff looks barely used at all, so maybe he gave it a go and never went back to it.

Did he have a nice TV/audio setup back in the 80s/90s? A lot of people with money to burn on stuff like that would also buy a video game console of some sort just because they were also some nice electronics to have, even if they never really played the games.

This was especially a thing to do with the earliest console generation, but was still a thing into the early 90s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Yeah, he used to obsess over that stuff, so you may be right about that.

• Locked thread