Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Good job! I wanted that avatar but couldn't figure out how to do it in Photoshop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

univbee posted:

I used an online gif optimizer and had to drop 3/4 of the frames, enable transparency detection with a 5% detection rate, and then compressed it at level 30. Not quite ideal but that seemed to be the best way to get it sub-100k without destroying things too much.

That explains it. Photoshop CS4 doesn't have much in the way of advanced gif optimization options so all I could do was reduce number of colors used or frames or just start downing the quality.

Android Apocalypse posted:

Good job! I wanted that avatar but couldn't figure out how to do it in Photoshop.

For me the biggest issue was the number of source frames, really. The original is pretty smooth and I wanted to keep it that way:

All I had to do was crop the canvas and create a mask layer that hides the text that reaches inside the frame.

EPIC fat guy vids
Feb 3, 2011

squeak... squeak... SQUEAK!
Lipstick Apathy
Wow I love these cyberpunk/old school pc game ones. O_O tempted to get a new av. Do you have some more of those?

Great thread, btw, thank you!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

chinese barbecue porp posted:

That explains it. Photoshop CS4 doesn't have much in the way of advanced gif optimization options so all I could do was reduce number of colors used or frames or just start downing the quality.

For me the biggest issue was the number of source frames, really. The original is pretty smooth and I wanted to keep it that way:

All I had to do was crop the canvas and create a mask layer that hides the text that reaches inside the frame.

Weird, here's a file from photoshop cs6: all frames, no dither, 256 colors, and 81kb. It's like magic really.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Wonder if cs4 just doesn't use the transparency trick?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Pierogi posted:

Weird, here's a file from photoshop cs6: all frames, no dither, 256 colors, and 81kb. It's like magic really.

That looks perfect.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
I fully concede my PS skills in gif creation is lacking, as I was using PS CC. That looks amazing.

Bobmuffins
Oct 10, 2016

this one owns and i'm gonna get it thanks

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pierogi posted:

drat, now to find another $5.

EDIT do you have a rough step-by-step for how exactly you accomplished this in Photoshop? I own PS but haven't done GIF's with it, and the few stabs I took at it never gave me a file that small.

univbee fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 7, 2017

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Dinosaurmageddon posted:

Testing out my own new avatar, and releasing 55 resized foundlings out into the wild -

:siren:TRANCE AVATAR EXPLOSION:siren:

Replacing 10 year old av with this 'cause being nice is cool!

Anne Frank Funk
Nov 4, 2008

univbee posted:

EDIT do you have a rough step-by-step for how exactly you accomplished this in Photoshop? I own PS but haven't done GIF's with it, and the few stabs I took at it never gave me a file that small.

Seems like for some odd reason toggling the transparency option has a tremendous effect on file size (it's 250kb with it off). Even though the gif has no transparency...

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Pierogi posted:

Seems like for some odd reason toggling the transparency option has a tremendous effect on file size (it's 250kb with it off). Even though the gif has no transparency...

Ahh, working from the original GIF gives me much better results. Thanks!

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Pierogi posted:

Afaik the transparency layer is used per frame, so if frame 2 only has a small number of pixels changed from frame 1 it'll mark them all as transparent, which cause the layer before it to bleed through in those spots

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I want that same gif but the robot sips from a cup of coffee. :coffeepal:

Nonviolent J
Jul 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Soiled Meat
Dont you dare change that avatar

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
These are all fantastic! I almost took the Bugs Bunny one because I love Looney Tunes, but I have been holding out for what I really want: I don't think there are nearly enough alligator avatars in this thread. :allears: Would anyone be willing to help with that?

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

Cheese Pain posted:

These are all fantastic! I almost took the Bugs Bunny one because I love Looney Tunes, but I have been holding out for what I really want: I don't think there are nearly enough alligator avatars in this thread. :allears: Would anyone be willing to help with that?

I got you.

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem

Cheese Pain posted:

I don't think there are nearly enough alligator avatars in this thread. :allears: Would anyone be willing to help with that?

2 crocs, 1 gator

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Cheese Pain posted:

I will get on this alligator train.

FUCK SNEEP
Apr 21, 2007

barons I think you bought me my current avatar years ago in yospos so ty for that friendo

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

I'm so loving bad at getting these to good quality and down to the right file size :(

What I wanted: Good quality gif of a unicorn pooping icecream ah la: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbYWhdLO43Q

What I got:

Gridlocked fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 8, 2017

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Someone oughta make one of this crispy skelejesus :

https://youtu.be/uKanmLGBEJA?t=1m28s

(and then give it to me)

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Feb 8, 2017

Martian Buddy
Jun 4, 2010

Are you ready to swear
right here,
right now,
before the devil

Hadn't seen anyone else claim this yet, and how could I pass up my favorite Tekken character? Thanks man :v:

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

(and then give it to me)

This is the best I could do but I am not a gif wizard.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice

Gridlocked posted:

I'm so loving bad at getting these to good quality and down to the right file size :(

What I wanted: Good quality gif of a unicorn pooping icecream ah la:

What I got:

That was really hard to get under 100kB for some reason.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Metanaut posted:

Here's 2 speeds:

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Megabound posted:

Here's 2 speeds:

Metanaut posted:

I love you both. Please share secrets

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

I used http://ezgif.com. First resize, but then it artifacted weird, so I chose a different method that worked, then crop. For optimization I removed frames and optimised until it got to under target then adjust speed until it looks normal. Mostly trial and error. And I made the base gif from the video using imgur.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Megabound posted:

I used http://ezgif.com. First resize, but then it artifacted weird, so I chose a different method that worked, then crop. For optimization I removed frames and optimised until it got to under target then adjust speed until it looks normal. Mostly trial and error. And I made the base gif from the video using imgur.

I tried doing it through Gimp after using the Video to gif converter on imgur.

Converted, saved, opened in gimp, selected area I wanted and cropped rest; shrunk to 150x150 re-optimised and saved but it was over sized. So then I slowly shrunk/removed frames till the monster you saw emerged.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

Megabound posted:

You are sir, you are :allears:

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

(and then give it to me)

This video is great av material.

Case in point, my first-ever av was from it.

:allears:

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,

symbolic posted:

This video is great av material.

Case in point, my first-ever av was from it.

:allears:

Hell yea that's a good'un

Megabound posted:

Not that I'm ungrateful, but is anyone able to loop this or slow it down so it's slightly less seizure inducing?

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Hell yea that's a good'un

Not that I'm ungrateful, but is anyone able to loop this or slow it down so it's slightly less seizure inducing?

I slowed it down to the point where I thought it started looking janky, but here's 2 speeds.

I'll try looping in a bit but I think the camera pan will make it look silly without stabilization.

edit: looped

Megabound fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Feb 8, 2017

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

I made a couple from some Cyriak videos.

Courtesy of a man with no av.

Jabberlock fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Feb 8, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
we totally should have a retrowave-cyberpunk thread

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Dang, colors came out grosser than I was hoping for.

Sir AIDS
Nov 5, 2013

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

I can't guarantee some of these aren't taken already, some are surplus from last time I did this. Most are new though.

omfg ...

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

I think I may claim this one.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Snagged this one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alligator Pie
Apr 26, 2008

Give away the green grass, Give away the sky
So many thanks to MeccaPrime, Dinosaurmageddon, Megabound, and Univbee for all the great alligators (and crocodiles). I picked my favorite but saved a whole bunch to cycle through later on. It goes great with my name change! :yayclod:

I also have to say, Sir AIDS, that I really dig the King's Field avatar of Al Hunt. Dude never stops eating.

• Locked thread