Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

scarycave posted:

I've been testing out Kingdom Hearts unchained - which is a mobile game of kingdom hearts that's apparently going to tie into the new game so I figured since it's "free" I might as well try it. I didn't get very far but I do like that they made a custom heartless for the snowhite world since you never really explore that world when heartless around in any of the games so far.

You visit Snow White in Birth By Sleep. The queen puts the hit out for Snow White to Terra.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

ninjahedgehog posted:

God of War III also has my favorite QTE in gaming: Kratos gauges out Poseidon's eyes with his thumbs. The prompt for this is L3 + R3. Guess which fingers you're going to use? :black101:

That and the QTE for killing Mercury are really clever/vicious.

For Mercury, he's a super-agile rear end in a top hat who keeps dashing around and being really hard to hit. Eventually you pin him down and grab hold of his legs, hanging him upside down. The game prompts you to put your finger on a button to put your blade up to his shins, but Kratos doesn't actually make the stroke until you release it, so you get to pick how long Mercury is hanging there struggling and waiting for the end.

There's also the last moment of the game where you finally beat Zeus to death; it's a mash QTE but the game won't stop until you do. You can keep on smashing his face in until so much blood splats on the screen that it's entirely red and continue letting out rage until both you and Kratos calm down.

Most devs throw in a QTE without putting any real thought into it but they went the extra mile to give them an extra edge and make them feel less like interruptions and press X to not die.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BioEnchanted posted:

You visit Snow White in Birth By Sleep. The queen puts the hit out for Snow White to Terra.

You visit Snow White in BBS when the unversed are attacking. You never fight or see a heartless there.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
The best QTEs are from The Wonderful 101, especially near the end where the team is all piloting a giant robot, and the player has to mash A furiously to save the Earth. The camera cuts inside the cockpit halfway through the sequence to show that all the heroes are also furiously mashing their A buttons as well. The Wonderful 101 is such a charming game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

scarycave posted:

You visit Snow White in BBS when the unversed are attacking. You never fight or see a heartless there.

Of course, duh. Forgot about the Unversed angle :P Been a while since I played that game.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

haveblue posted:

That and the QTE for killing Mercury are really clever/vicious.

For Mercury, he's a super-agile rear end in a top hat who keeps dashing around and being really hard to hit. Eventually you pin him down and grab hold of his legs, hanging him upside down. The game prompts you to put your finger on a button to put your blade up to his shins, but Kratos doesn't actually make the stroke until you release it, so you get to pick how long Mercury is hanging there struggling and waiting for the end.

There's also the last moment of the game where you finally beat Zeus to death; it's a mash QTE but the game won't stop until you do. You can keep on smashing his face in until so much blood splats on the screen that it's entirely red and continue letting out rage until both you and Kratos calm down.

Most devs throw in a QTE without putting any real thought into it but they went the extra mile to give them an extra edge and make them feel less like interruptions and press X to not die.

Three minutes. That's how long I beat Zeus before I realized I could stop when I wanted to. I hit him a few more times for good measure, because he was a dickhead.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The final fight in Arkham Knight is like that. You can just completely beat the poo poo out of the guy for as long as you want, only beating him when you activate a specific environmental "kill". He's an absolutely terrible fighter so there's not even any risk.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

BioEnchanted posted:

Of course, duh. Forgot about the Unversed angle :P Been a while since I played that game.

Same. Can't say I blame you either. There's like four different groups of baddies now and a lot of them are just expy's of each other.

El Diablo Bob O
Sep 3, 2011

Hay nada mas,
Oh si' my way!

Baba Yaga Fanboy posted:

I loved the numerous references State of Decay had to other, famous zombie stories, such as the Plants vs Zombies set up in one yard, or how hitting a zombie with a car door as you drove by netted you the "Gotta Appreciate the Little Things" achievement a la Zombieland.

Oh, yeah!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
My favorite thing about God of War 3 was that it wasn't just Kratos killing the gods and being an rear end in a top hat again. This time he ruins the drat world and every time you kill one of the big guys like Poseidon and Hades everything looks worse and worse while you're going through the rest of the game. Shame 3 really dropped the ball on unlockable costumes though.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Gouge out Poseidon's eyes, sea level instantly rises sixty feet. :allears:

youknowthatoneguy
Mar 27, 2004
Mmm, boooofies!
So after seeing it mentioned countless times from you guys, I went ahead and bought Bloodborne, having never played Dark Souls before either. Yes it is unforgiving, but the atmosphere is top notch and I love that it lets you just go forward without any hand holding. I think I only ever looked up one thing so far that I was confused on, but otherwise loving it, even after dying several dozen times.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Boofchicken posted:

So after seeing it mentioned countless times from you guys, I went ahead and bought Bloodborne, having never played Dark Souls before either. Yes it is unforgiving, but the atmosphere is top notch and I love that it lets you just go forward without any hand holding. I think I only ever looked up one thing so far that I was confused on, but otherwise loving it, even after dying several dozen times.

Having played and loved all of them, Bloodborne definitely has the cruelest introduction. It took a longass time and several deaths navigating the streets to even find a boss so that I could even begin to level up.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Sad lions posted:

Having played and loved all of them, Bloodborne definitely has the cruelest introduction. It took a longass time and several deaths navigating the streets to even find a boss so that I could even begin to level up.

I started a new game yesterday and rushed the first optional boss just for that insight then went back to actually kill the man's. That bonfire is still a bitch.

Oh Long Johnson
Oct 22, 2010
Rush to the sewers without a weapon and grab the Saw Spear and a Madman's Knowledge and you'll feel like a pro speedrunner.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Bloodborne is the souls game for non-souls players. Tons of people who bounced off of D. Souls games played Bloodborne and finally "got it" as far as why people like these games. Speaking of which I wholeheartedly recommend playing Souls games like you play Bloodborne. Strip down, no shield, dodge everything.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Honestly I think the first boss of bloodborne is actually the worst part of it. The first "real" boss Gascoigne is hard for a new player but really fun and incredibly different from any fight up to that point and it's strange to just drop you into a totally different experience but it's a great fight. If not for having to go back and farm potions to keep trying I would probably have liked it even more at the time of playing. The boss before him though, whatever beast it was, is a poo poo fight. The design is so cluttered with floating fur and effects that it makes it difficult to see the boss's body and your camera gets hosed over by the narrow arena that it becomes the capra demon all over again. The hardest part isn't dodging, hitting or even countering the boss. It's just being able to see what's going on so you don't get crushed because the camera was locked firmly on the boss' taint. That being said, the vast majority of bloodborne boss fights actually own and I just think the very first one was kind of poo poo and does the game a disservice.

Len posted:

I started a new game yesterday and rushed the first optional boss just for that insight then went back to actually kill the man's. That bonfire is still a bitch.

The bonfire area is pretty cool and it's one of those areas that starts off really hard and intimidating but after a while you can just zoom through it and murder all those guys without taking a scratch like some kind of ninja and it makes you feel like a pro bloodborne man until you get to the sewers where a dude just shoots you and you fall into rat water and die.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

My favourite little thing about Bloodborne is because I've never played it, every time someone mentions Gascoigne, I picture this guy

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Nuebot posted:

Honestly I think the first boss of bloodborne is actually the worst part of it. The first "real" boss Gascoigne is hard for a new player but really fun and incredibly different from any fight up to that point and it's strange to just drop you into a totally different experience but it's a great fight. If not for having to go back and farm potions to keep trying I would probably have liked it even more at the time of playing. The boss before him though, whatever beast it was, is a poo poo fight. The design is so cluttered with floating fur and effects that it makes it difficult to see the boss's body and your camera gets hosed over by the narrow arena that it becomes the capra demon all over again. The hardest part isn't dodging, hitting or even countering the boss. It's just being able to see what's going on so you don't get crushed because the camera was locked firmly on the boss' taint. That being said, the vast majority of bloodborne boss fights actually own and I just think the very first one was kind of poo poo and does the game a disservice.

The bonfire area is pretty cool and it's one of those areas that starts off really hard and intimidating but after a while you can just zoom through it and murder all those guys without taking a scratch like some kind of ninja and it makes you feel like a pro bloodborne man until you get to the sewers where a dude just shoots you and you fall into rat water and die.

Oddly enough the very first time I got that boss I beat him with a string of bullets and stabbings. The second time on my different build starting character did not go anywhere that smoothly.

I'm hoping to just get a feel for things again and hop back into my original guy. I got to Rom and then stonewalled by dudes in every direction I went so I shelved it. Now I forget how to play

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Alpha Protocol talk: If you go recruit you start with 0 points to put into stuff but when you finish the initial zone stuff you'll have more than you would have if you had specialized, plus it unlocks Veteran which is just so much fun to do since you can max everything out early and the special veteran dialogue options are really funny.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Bogmonster posted:

My favourite little thing about Bloodborne is because I've never played it, every time someone mentions Gascoigne, I picture this guy

Now picture him turning into a werewolf and it's about the same thing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

During the God of War series, Kratos often winds up taking the place of the myth heroes; killing the Hydra, recovering the Golden Fleece, 'freeing' Prometheus, etc.

So in 3, Hercules shows up angry that you've been stealing his fame and declares he's gonna smash your face in for it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Byzantine posted:

During the God of War series, Kratos often winds up taking the place of the myth heroes; killing the Hydra, recovering the Golden Fleece, 'freeing' Prometheus, etc.

So in 3, Hercules shows up angry that you've been stealing his fame and declares he's gonna smash your face in for it.

Also he's voiced by Kevin Sorbo. Really fun fight though and the weapon you get is the best. I wish you got it earlier so you could mess with it the whole game.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Byzantine posted:

I was going to say, I liked about God of War that a lot of the bosses you fight and murder are just other heroes on their epic quests, and you just grab their mcguffin so you can double jump or something.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Captain Lavender posted:

I was going to say, I liked about God of War that a lot of the bosses you fight and murder are just other heroes on their epic quests, and you just grab their mcguffin so you can double jump or something.

As weak as it is to bring Kratos back for God of War 4 poo poo like that is why I'm pretty excited for a Norse take.

They should have just picked up new characters murdering their way through different religious pantheon's games ago, or picked up from that tease about the US military finding a dead Titan with the temple of Pandora on its back during desert storm.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The final event of God of War 5 should be Kratos impaling Jesus Christ with a spear.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

oldpainless posted:

The final event of God of War 5 should be Kratos impaling Jesus Christ with a spear.

Only if at some point he has to fight Noah to get a place on the ark.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Also he's voiced by Kevin Sorbo.

And they got Harry Hamlin to voice Perseus for 2.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

I really expected the ending of GOW3 to have Kratos becoming a monotheist god, following with an incredibly trashy 'immaculate conception' mini game.
'To be continued?...'

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Inco posted:

The best QTEs are from The Wonderful 101, especially near the end where the team is all piloting a giant robot, and the player has to mash A furiously to save the Earth. The camera cuts inside the cockpit halfway through the sequence to show that all the heroes are also furiously mashing their A buttons as well. The Wonderful 101 is such a charming game.

Yeah, but did you notice Wonder Black, the gamer, presses the button the fastest while Wonder Yellow, the oldest (and thus not up with gaming techniques) presses it the slowest?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Sad lions posted:

I really expected the ending of GOW3 to have Kratos becoming a monotheist god, following with an incredibly trashy 'immaculate conception' mini game.
'To be continued?...'

Really? It's a series about Kratos killing bigger and more badder asses, killing the unkillable and generally being a jackass.

So he finally kills the one thing no one else could. Mostly out of sheer spite, too. Not to like, be a good dude or anything.

Also, one thing I liked about God of War 3 was that it acknowledged the PSP games existed. At least the first one, I think they tried to forget the weird one about Kratos' brother.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nuebot posted:

Really? It's a series about Kratos killing bigger and more badder asses, killing the unkillable and generally being a jackass.

So he finally kills the one thing no one else could. Mostly out of sheer spite, too. Not to like, be a good dude or anything.

Also, one thing I liked about God of War 3 was that it acknowledged the PSP games existed. At least the first one, I think they tried to forget the weird one about Kratos' brother.

Ghost of Sparta came out a few months after God of War 3. Even so, in 3 Poseidon says he wants to avenge Atlantis while you fight him, and it isn't explained until Ghost of Sparta.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 11:20 on Feb 8, 2017

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Len posted:

They should have just picked up new characters murdering their way through different religious pantheon's games ago,

IIRC the original plan was to team up with a Norse hero in the second game and murder that pantheon, then team up with an Egyptian hero and murder all those gods, and then the three of them are drawn to a star descending in the North...

:v:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

To face the three aspect god Yahweh, the trinity and Allah.

Id buy it.

But only if you also meet buddha on the road and kill him.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It turns out Kratos was responsible for the crucifixion of Jesus.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Rigged Death Trap posted:

But only if you also meet buddha on the road and kill him.

I dunno, I think personally I'd prefer the image that Buddha's the one guy Kratos doesn't kill. He's either so chill that Kratos is incapable of having a beef with him, or so at peace that there's no point to it.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

John Murdoch posted:

The mouse acts like a joystick. The farther you move it away from neutral, the faster the box moves and you have to reset it back to neutral to get the box to stay still. Also IIRC, you have to press LMB to lock in the choice, so there's that little extra chance of accidentally nudging the mouse and screwing everything up.

Apparently the real trick is to take one point in sabotage and just use EMP grenades to bypass hacks as much as possible.

Or just play on a gamepad?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

poptart_fairy posted:

IIRC the original plan was to team up with a Norse hero in the second game and murder that pantheon, then team up with an Egyptian hero and murder all those gods, and then the three of them are drawn to a star descending in the North...

That's amazing.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

poptart_fairy posted:

Every game has had a different director. Jaffe's original plan was that you would kill Zeus at the end of 2 and then the Norse and Egyptian pantheons would invade Greece in the chaos.

2's director wanted it to be about wiping away the Greek pantheon to pave the way for Christianity. That's why 2 has the Spear of Destiny and the picture of the three magi in the Fates' inner sanctum. The Blade of Olympus was going to be Excalibur.

Then 3 went with the atheistic ending where the Olympians were the only gods and now there's nothing but the evils and hope among humanity.

I prefer the way 3 and the sidegames went, to be honest. The Sun literally fell from the sky and you go inside it and take Helios' shield from his throne NO WAIT that was just the Greek sun, the Norse and Egyptian suns are perfectly fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

Len posted:

Only if at some point he has to fight Noah to get a place on the ark.

"Kratos! There is no place for you on the ark! There is only one God of War and not two of you!"
qte prompt pops up