Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Pissflaps posted:

Those houses don't look like affordable houses.

Perhaps not, but they could either be made smaller, or mass produced to bring the unit cost down if there was a national building program. Even if these houses may not meet the definition of affordable, by allowing housebuilding in areas that were previously off limits, it would free up housing elsewhere.

I posted them more to illustrate the point that new builds don't have to look like poo poo and there would be less green belt opposition if that were the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/829129993984888835

On the topic, multiple people have said lately that an IndyRef campaign needs to really be tight on the economic stance.
Whether or not it's true, or could happen, any time any trade amount with England is brought up, Sturgeon should just point out the FTA May wants with the EU and just say if that is May's stance, I'm sure we could work out the same for Scotland. Boom, no more Little Englanders talking about how much Scotland relies on English trade, because if they dismiss the possibility, they'll need to admit May's hope of FTA with other countries is similarly ridiculous.

Well, the stance is that Scotland would seek membership of the EU and would therefore be in the single market - and trade with the rest of the UK on whatever Brexit terms are arranged.

The problem with that is the more you minimise the downsides of this arrangement, the less a 'material case for independence' Brexit becomes, and the less necessary securing Scotland's place in the EU as an independent member.

Scotland does rely massively more on trade with the rest of the UK than anywhere else - including the EU. This isn't 'little england talking': it's Scottish government statistics.

Brexit shows us that leaving political and economic unions is a bad idea. Scottish independence is more of the same.

Not that voting for bad ideas isn't in fashion right now so it'd be a lot closer than last time.

You'll notice that the SNP's current angle on this is focussing on the democratic deficit and 'injustice' of the Brexit vote, rather than the economic consequences. There's a reason for this.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 8, 2017

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Well, the stance is that Scotland would seek membership of the EU and would therefore be in the single market - and trade with the rest of the UK on whatever Brexit terms are arranged.

The problem with that is the more you minimise the downsides of this arrangement, the less a 'material case for independence' Brexit becomes, and the less necessary securing Scotland's place in the EU as an independent member.

Scotland does rely massively more on trade with the rest of the UK than anywhere else - including the EU. This isn't 'little england talking': it's Scottish government statistics.

Brexit shows us that leaving political and economic unions is a bad idea. Scottish independence is more of the same.

Not that voting for bad ideas isn't in fashion right now so it'd be a lot closer than last time.

You'll notice that the SNP's current angle on this is focussing on the democratic deficit and 'injustice' of the Brexit vote, rather than the economic consequences. There's a reason for this.

Scotland massively voted to remain in the EU, and direct control over things like this is definitely a case for national government.

I never meant that Scotland didn't have massive trade with England, what I meant was that the Little Englanders as I put it are throwing it in the face when there is real discussion.

And Scotland aiming to be in the EU, and May insisting she will get a FTA with the EU means, as I said, that there would be no impact to English trade.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

mehall posted:

And Scotland aiming to be in the EU, and May insisting she will get a FTA with the EU means, as I said, that there would be no impact to English trade.
both of those points are wishful thinking. even assuming they do happen eventually, there will certainly be years of transition first.
no impact my arse

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

mehall posted:

Scotland massively voted to remain in the EU, and direct control over things like this is definitely a case for national government.

I never meant that Scotland didn't have massive trade with England, what I meant was that the Little Englanders as I put it are throwing it in the face when there is real discussion.

I'm not sure May has insisted she will get a free trade agreement has she? The whole point of her latest speech was that such an agreement isn't her prime motivation.

The idea that two countries either side of the EU can trade unhindered is illogical and undermines the entire economic case for the EU. It's Brexiter thinking.

I think there are arguments of self determination that can be made for Scottish independence but the economic one doesn't add up. Just like the one we had about EU membership.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
https://twitter.com/patrick_kidd/status/829277557405208579

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

haha good for him.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Lol what a guy.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I heard he claimed expenses for a printer cartridge too.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

LemonDrizzle posted:

This is a good thing because people who live south of the river are unsettling web-footed abominations and must be kept away from normal people insofar as possible.

e: Also, when comparing public transport available in cities you have to consider their populations because an investment that is economically sound with a large population to serve won't necessarily make sense with a much smaller one. For example, people have been comparing british cities to Hong Kong (pop 7m), Chicago (pop ~3m) and New York (pop ~8m). The largest UK city outside London is Birmingham, whose population barely breaks 1m.
London's public transport system is better than the rest of the UK's but still not a patch on Hong Kong's (or other big East Asian cities). Part of that is the late-adopter effect (late adopters get better infrastructure; London is stuck with Tube lines built 150 years ago and designed for steam trains). But a big part of it is comparatively low population density and the insistence on building vast swathes of suburban semis with small gardens from Zone 3 outwards.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'd want sunday off too tbh.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I think I might adjust my expectations of time off if I was leader of the Opposition tbh.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
People elected him to fight for social justice and workers' rights an exact 37.5 hours per week.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Perhaps it is like a real job and he says to Tom, "Hey Tom, I had to come in on Sunday so I'm going to take Monday off. Do you mind stepping up and keeping on eye on things? I'll be on my mobile and checking emails periodically if things really kick off."

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Dead Goon posted:

Perhaps it is like a real job and he says to Tom, "Hey Tom, I had to come in on Sunday so I'm going to take Monday off. Do you mind stepping up and keeping on eye on things? I'll be on my mobile and checking emails periodically if things really kick off."

have Corbyn & Watson started talking again?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
When I think of who I want in charge of the country, it's someone who's too knackered out by doing just about the basics as the Leader of the Opposition to come in the next week lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

I think I might adjust my expectations of time off if I was leader of the Opposition tbh.

Nah, time off is important especially in high pressure jobs. People don't work well without time off.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Nah, time off is important especially in high pressure jobs. People don't work well without time off.

Jeremy isn't doing a good job of demonstrating your point.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
You guys shouldn't wreck your countryside it's the one good thing you have left.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

mehall posted:

Boom, no more Little Englanders talking about how much Scotland relies on English trade, because if they dismiss the possibility, they'll need to admit May's hope of FTA with other countries is similarly ridiculous.

I don't think this is true because Britain will get all those deals because it's Great and anyone who says otherwise is Talkin Down Are Country, whereas scotland won't because it's full of picts and ghastly gaelic types who don't have our strong, imperial spirit.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Zephro posted:

I mean it's always going to be expensive to send a bus tooling out ten miles to the middle of Ruralshire to pick up one or two people

Basically as someone who lives in the countryside, the countryside is poo poo and you should try to live in a city instead

It's too late for me, but you can still save yourselves

It's the other way around.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Corbyn is taking the hours off instead of taking the overtime pay. Is it unjust for a leader to be fairly compensated? If he was doing 50 hours a week would you be complaining about him draining Labor's coffers?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hakimashou posted:

You guys shouldn't wreck your countryside it's the one good thing you have left.

The countryside is racist and must be destroyed.

Demiurge4 posted:

Corbyn is taking the hours off instead of taking the overtime pay. Is it unjust for a leader to be fairly compensated? If he was doing 50 hours a week would you be complaining about him draining Labor's coffers?

Food for thought.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pissflaps posted:

Jeremy isn't doing a good job of demonstrating your point.

Then you can go and be happy that he isn't leading 24/7 then can't you.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

To be fair, when I think of someone I want in charge of the country I don't think of someone who's drunk on sleep deprivation while making all the important decisions because they bought Thatcher's macho bollocks about only needing 4 hours of sleep a night

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Pissflaps posted:

The countryside is racist and must be destroyed.

Spoken like a true racist

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Then you can go and be happy that he isn't leading 24/7 then can't you.

Unfortunately even if he is taking Monday off because he couldn't have a lie in on Sunday, he's still the labour leader.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

leader of the opposition's salary is paid by the state, not the party, isn't it?

Cerv fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Feb 8, 2017

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

"Corbyn doesn't work 24/7 therefore he's bad." --people who are shitposting on an internet forum during normal working hours.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

"Corbyn doesn't work 24/7 therefore he's bad." --people who are shitposting on an internet forum during normal working hours.

lol it's lunch time

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Well it's not why he's bad, but it's an example of how bad he is.

Symptom, not cause.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cerv posted:

lol it's lunch time

lol you get a lunch time

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Cerv posted:

lol it's lunch time

Try working at Amazon: 8 hour shift, no lunch break. You get a 10 minute and 20 minute break after 3 and 5.5 hours respectively.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

i'm posting from one of the two 4.4 minute, CCTV-enforced toilet breaks i get during the day

a literal shitpost

(not really)

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Zephro posted:

i'm posting from one of the two 4.4 minute, CCTV-enforced toilet breaks i get during the day

a literal shitpost

(not really)

Oh yeah, and try a call centre. A 15 minute break and if you go over they dock an hour's pay.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Tesseraction posted:

Try working at Amazon: 8 hour shift, no lunch break. You get a 10 minute and 20 minute break after 3 and 5.5 hours respectively.

I don't think we should encourage a race to the bottom like this. Let's not ask each other to work under worse conditions, instead demand that conditions are improved for all.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Except Corbyn.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

OwlFancier posted:

Except Corbyn.

Yes except Corbyn the fucker doesn't deserve lunch breaks.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Tesseraction posted:

Oh yeah, and try a call centre. A 15 minute break and if you go over they dock an hour's pay.

I dunno, one time when I worked in a call centre I went to meet someone during my lunch hour. And before I knew it I was an hour late back. Nobody even noticed, which was nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Pissflaps posted:

I don't think we should encourage a race to the bottom like this. Let's not ask each other to work under worse conditions, instead demand that conditions are improved for all.

That is correct, my point was that a lunch break should not be taken for granted as it's not guaranteed.

One of the great victories of the working class struggle was to grant the right to leisure time.

• Locked thread